Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us $3,400 per month for bandwidth bills alone, and since we don't believe in shoving popup ads to our registered users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
«2 »
BSam
Nov 24, 2012

No episode quite yet, but this is some awesome news, new upcoming guest.

https://twitter.com/Bumdidlyump/sta...523416540164096

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

BSam
Nov 24, 2012

Episode 5 up. The guest this time does a great job I thought, and I liked the idea of the other special guest also.

BSam
Nov 24, 2012

Crime Scene was very enjoyable. You'll find that on the same tumblr and twitter account that The Genius is on.

BSam
Nov 24, 2012

Asiina posted:

Hey guys, so I have been working the last few months putting together a forum game version of The Genius. It will be a mix of old games from the show and new games that I've created.

I'm running it over in Traditional Games and anyone who watches the show is welcome to sign up.

Genius Game Signup Thread

That looks awesome, pity about timezones and shift work make it tricky for me to participate. Hope everyone has fun!

BSam
Nov 24, 2012

MisterZimbu posted:

Fantastic episode. Loving the season so far.

I found it odd that, in the beginning of the episode they still said you are playing for a total prize of $13,000 (or whatever the total garnet count was). I wonder what the twist is going to be that's going to put the garnets back in play.

I think they just sit there. Counting towards the final prize total but not owned by anyone.

BSam
Nov 24, 2012

I may have miscounted. I was drunk when I watched it.

BSam
Nov 24, 2012

Argue posted:

My god, Dealer nuna must have been operating at 100% CPU capacity there. Minus the short breaks, she was what, just sitting there doing that for 3-4 hours?

She had an earpiece, it wouldn't surprise me if they had a couple of people, each keeping track of certain tiles and powers.

BSam
Nov 24, 2012

Posting from my phone here but if you check out the general Korean tv thread I posted links to the first two episodes of the new Korean version of Liars Game.

They haven't got up to any Genius style games yet but it's sure to be coming soon. Just thought you guys might want a heads up. I've watched the first season of the Japanese one and so far I prefer the Korean. It's more set up like an actual tv reality show, plus the characters aren't as cartoonish.

BSam
Nov 24, 2012

Meme Emulator posted:

I always liked the comic but good god the Japanese drama is bad. I might have to dip into this version just out of curiosity though.

I realize that the main character is supposed to be foolishly naive but they went off the deep end and made her a complete helpless bimbo. Every character was cartoonishly exaggerated that way but I felt like Nao got it the worst.

Yeah go for it, She's still naive, but slightly less exaggerated, she's normal relative to the japanese one at least.

The big test is when we get to Round 2 (assuming it stays close to the same story) and we meet the rest of the players, especially the main antagonist.

Edit: i'm home now, so here's the links.
http://www.dramago.com/korean-drama...orean-episode-1
http://www.dramago.com/korean-drama...orean-episode-2

BSam fucked around with this message at Oct 25, 2014 around 13:51

BSam
Nov 24, 2012

Episode 4 is up but I have to go to work. I guess it will have to wait.

BSam
Nov 24, 2012

Subyng posted:

Except Ahyoung has done literally nothing the entire game except be the victim of Dongmin's scolding, which is pretty funny but still, would be nice if she had a chance to actually use her brain.

Forget the first death match?

BSam
Nov 24, 2012

CeeJee posted:

edit: With the elimination of the garnets held by the deathmatch loser I wonder just how much will be left for the winner, I think it will be less then 50.

I may have been wrong at first, but now it looks like they give them to someone for safe keeping, to be distributed out if you die. My guess is it's their workaround to stop garnets disappearing.

BSam
Nov 24, 2012

Hat Thoughts posted:

I imagine the music got it taken down

Dang, those are some extreme ways.

BSam
Nov 24, 2012

There's a pretty cool Moby song they've used in the first couple of seasons as well.

BSam
Nov 24, 2012

I feel bad for everyone who sees the new post here and is hoping for the next episode, so sorry in advance.

There is a new episode this week yeah? They haven't skipped a week or anything?

(For those wanting something similar to watch while we wait, the Korean Liar Game is really quite good, and in case anyone missed it, Crime Scene was brilliant, I saw most of it but only watched the finale last week.)

BSam fucked around with this message at Nov 25, 2014 around 11:04

BSam
Nov 24, 2012

CHiRAL posted:

No one is complaining, just wondering while waiting for our fix

Yeah this. Bumdiddly does an amazing job, and I'm not complaining at all, just really looking forward to the show.

BSam
Nov 24, 2012

sharktamer posted:

No, someone already linked that one. There was a time where a game wasn't going his way or someone was misunderstanding him, so he cries out and breakdances, like a normal person would.

Do you mean the game where he created a subtle method of communication with some of the other players? His subtle dancing signals.

BSam
Nov 24, 2012

Oh gently caress, I didn't think I could love her more than I already did.

BSam
Nov 24, 2012

Hat Thoughts posted:

So is all of Korea game shows, variety shows, and soap operas?

There's some loving awesome films. I'm pretty sure there's a Korean thread in CD which has some good recommendations.

BSam
Nov 24, 2012

qbert posted:

Ji-Yoon and Jin-Ho are back, good enough for me!

But Hyunmoo!?!?

BSam
Nov 24, 2012

Superrodan posted:

I'm against it for selfish reasons. This show and Crime Scene are the only two I really care to watch. Seeing the post count on this thread go up lets me know there's something going on with one of them. If everyone started discussing other shows then it'd just be useless posts I'd have to skim, and I might miss something good.

I agree, there's a general UK thread, and then shows with a certain interest get their own threads, this is pretty much the same thing.

BSam
Nov 24, 2012

JakeP posted:

Its not racist to say that the culture in Korea is to fit a mold, you dudes are being way to sensitve. If anything he was being ethnocentric.

Hey this guy isn't racist! He is only being (euphemism for 'racist')!

BSam
Nov 24, 2012

I didn't know he wrote Going By The Book, that's one of my favourite korean films.

BSam
Nov 24, 2012

BSam
Nov 24, 2012

archduke.iago posted:

I'm a couple episodes in to S1 and something's really bothering me; why are the players trading garnets for favors as though the garnets had actual value? If you're eliminated, you lose all your garnets, and it seems like they can only be cashed in at the very end by the final winner. Is this addressed later on?

There are often other benefits for having garnets.

BSam
Nov 24, 2012

Tonfa posted:

Extreme ways are back again

That was so good, welcome back The Genius.
I'm so sad about old man Junghyun, he's only just arrived and it's already time for him to look into the sea. He was my favourite. I'm really upset now, but it was a good episode so it's ok. Can't wait til next week.

BSam
Nov 24, 2012

Lugaloco posted:

Let me dream until the next episode comes out.

No seriously the amount of times we've had this conversation is tiring.

BSam
Nov 24, 2012

About half an hour into this episode I paused it to play Extreme Ways.

BSam
Nov 24, 2012

Chainsawdomy posted:

As far as the main match goes Jungmoon really screwed the pooch on this one. There was no reason for her to give out that much of pi. Sure, it made her look trustworthy at first, but they don't need her identity to win, and it meant the loyalists were able to keep the numbers so low Yoohyun couldn't make the big move he needed to. I was ok with her betrayal when I thought Kyungran might not be a rebel and it was a double-play. Once it turned out Jungmoon was just protecting herself...she really botched this game for her team. I hope Kyungran will be gunning for her in the future.

Do we know if the rebels knew each others identity?

BSam
Nov 24, 2012

Zythrst posted:

Yeah bandage hyung said they'd be told and the dealer gave each of the color of the other rebels badges.

Cheers, that's what I get for trying to pay attention at 3am.

BSam
Nov 24, 2012

Only if it makes a difference in the last episode. We don't know if it does this season or not yet. Also they added all previously eliminated garnets back into the pool, I don't recall that happening before.

BSam
Nov 24, 2012

That was a good episode, and season. Thank you The Genius.

BSam
Nov 24, 2012

Calm down, it's a joke, just like on Top Gear when they do their jokes, which you like, don't you?

BSam
Nov 24, 2012

Dias posted:

Oh God. All this time, we were concerned about the dynamics or player casting for a UK-based Genius and we forgot about the most crucial thing:

who the gently caress can replace dealer nuna in our lives

Rachel Riley.

BSam
Nov 24, 2012

Exercu posted:

But if you skip the first half of season one, you don't get Henry, which is good for your mental wellbeing.

Yup, Henry is amazing!

BSam
Nov 24, 2012

But but... HE'S DOWSING FOR CLUES?

How can you not love that?

BSam
Nov 24, 2012

I know right, I thought I fell in love with the two ladies who won their respective categories in round one, now I don't even know who they were

MJ all the way.

BSam
Nov 24, 2012

I love this episode

but this "red button extra" or whatever it was, just made me miss Leonard Cohen even more

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=S79fOWuRafw

BSam
Nov 24, 2012

MrLonghair posted:

Madong guys needs to practice their throws, that was like a toddler throwing a ball for the first time, too many times. Would have sunk my spirits had I been on that team in any position. From a health perspective I didn't like what I saw, when he splashed down afterwards he should have received cooled water bottles in armpits and between legs. Saw they had bottles for drinking off-camera on the run, surely they had medics check up on them on off-camera moments? Madong's a book of bad illogical moves to not make, WHY, HOW.

It mentioned in a subtitle that medical teams checked on all runners. Is this a spoiler? I'll be safe anyway.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

BSam
Nov 24, 2012

Propaganda Machine posted:

Legitimate yet dumb question:

Why is Pharoh's name spelled that way? I can't generally pick peoples' names out mid-dialogue (dude, Korean is HARD, and I'm saying this as somebody with decent emergency Chinese). Is it that his name is the translation of literally ancient Egyptian pharaoh? Did his parents actually name him something like King, or Rex? A transliteration of [feh-row] shouldn't have the weird English spelling whatsits.

Does anybody actually know?

It could be his Rapper name or something

«2 »