Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

SuccinctAndPunchy
Mar 29, 2013

People are supposed to get hurt by things. It's fucked up to not. It's not good for you.
Just finished watching Season 2 finale and holy poo poo so glad Sangmin won, it was such a well deserved overall victory because he's really just been on top of everything this season. I felt like the finals themselves were a bit stronger but Genius Game in general seems to have a problem with limpdicked finales. Season 1 had Jinho completely wiping out Kyungran in the end with what felt like no-risk high-reward Gyul calls, Season 2 ended on Quattro, a game that seems like total luck. Still super glad Sangmin won but I still want one satisfying Genius finale.

Argue posted:

The deathmatch with all the cat pictures from season 1 is a game called Dixit, but the real game has much more lavish art in the pictures than just a bunch of memes.

Dixit is actually a really fun game with friends when you're actually playing it like it was meant to be played rather than in Genius Game where it was played mostly according to alliances. I'd recommend it.

I'm thinking of buying a bunch of the home versions of games shown in Genius Game to play with my friends so if anyone has more in addition to what's already been said (Pit, Dixit, Khet etc.) I'd be grateful.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SuccinctAndPunchy
Mar 29, 2013

People are supposed to get hurt by things. It's fucked up to not. It's not good for you.

Random Stranger posted:

I'm not really sold on Crime Scene yet. That first episode felt really rough and I'm not sure if it's because the players were terrible at finding the clues that tie things together or the producers weren't good at creating an interesting puzzle.

I think it's entirely too early to pass that sort of judgement considering we've not even seen the entire puzzle yet. At any rate it does seem to be pretty slow-paced show.

SuccinctAndPunchy
Mar 29, 2013

Nexal posted:

Jinho is really hinting to back in next season of The Genius.

It's basically been flat out confirmed.

SuccinctAndPunchy
Mar 29, 2013

Being unable to read or speak a lick of Korean, I have no idea what any of this is supposed to mean. Context, please?

SuccinctAndPunchy
Mar 29, 2013

sharktamer posted:

I can't believe people are still crying about Doohee getting screwed over by Jiwon and Yooyoung. I thought it was hilarious.

It was funny but the joke totally outstayed its welcome and then stayed a bit longer and kinda ruined the game and completely hosed one player out of the game on that move alone.

I was laughing at first, but then it just became sad. The flipside of that though is that why would they make the ID a physical item to be carried if that wasn't at least part of the intention? I mean I guess they just didn't account for it and I'm kinda all for a rule against stealing items preventing people from even participating in the game because that's kinda lovely.

even so I ended up feeling really bad for Doohee by the end of it, poor guy. :(

SuccinctAndPunchy
Mar 29, 2013

I mean, like or dislike the song it's got enough energy to be appropriate when a big twist occurs.

the mi mi mi song doesn't serve the same purpose and I seriously doubt it's the replacement because it's totally inappropriate

SuccinctAndPunchy
Mar 29, 2013

True art.

SuccinctAndPunchy
Mar 29, 2013

JakeP posted:

Its not exciting to watch a dude lose who literally can do nothing to not lose.

Yeah, I kinda feel the same way. I felt a little bad for Kang since he was totally railroaded into losing pretty much at character selection but at the same time he handled it with such bitterness and combined with his threatening poo poo from the last game, I'm not that sad to see him go. He just seems to get really salty about games and Genius contestants have always been refreshingly good-natured about a game of betrayal and such and that's one of the things I like about it and Kang was totally killing the vibe. I could feel the air run cold when he got lovely with Hyunmin being too vocal about trying to get union to the deathmatch.

but yeah the game looked really cool but the way it went with sending the two least popular people to the deathmatch kinda sucked, but one of them took it in stride, kept it together and came out on top while the other went away sulking. The more Genius-like player came through, I feel.

SuccinctAndPunchy fucked around with this message at 00:42 on Oct 21, 2014

SuccinctAndPunchy
Mar 29, 2013

Hat Thoughts posted:

Yeonseung is gonna lose soon anyways considering he's completely incapable of playing the social game and everyone kind of ignores him already. Where as Kang was THE POWER HOUSE

I think so too, but I'm hoping now that there's enough black garnets in play, the people with them will band together which could help give Yeonseung the foothold he needs to stay in the game.

is what I would say if the next game were not already a team game, poo poo. He actually really won me over by how well he handled going to the deathmatch and coming out on top so I don't want him to lose so soon. :(

SuccinctAndPunchy
Mar 29, 2013

Symbolic Butt posted:

BTS videos: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7gWZGiNN7C0 https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=A5upsD71pH0

Called it. They sure cut out some good stuff from chinese doctor Yeonseung. I bet he was confident that would be his GENIUS MOMENT complete with that one song. :smith:

I was wondering why he was writing in Korean and not roman numerals, thought it was just habit or style or whatever, not an intentional ploy. Why'd they cut that out? It's clever and explains some of his ballsier reads. Makes me sad too because that is a proper and kinda deserved GENIUS MOMENT, why no love for Yeonseung, genius editors? :smith:

second clip kinda highlights why I'm coming around to the guy, he just seems like a nice guy

SuccinctAndPunchy
Mar 29, 2013

I think Mentality King misstepped a bit by making himself so obvious to Dongmin right at the start, a notable aggressive player. I thought he'd lost the game right then before it even started but then they basically bet the game on a 50/50 gamble and got away with it so fair play to them but it did feel over a bit too quickly. Mentality King continues to be my favourite player in the game right now though, keep on trucking man.

The deathmatch though, while the game seemed flawed I am incredibly impressed with dude-whose-name-I-can't-remember's play in it, he played an absolutely proper game and he seemed invincible during it. I enjoy seeing the player who genuinely plays the game better survive rather than Jinho being bullshitted by Jiwon esque crap and the last two deathmatches have kept me happy in that regard.

SuccinctAndPunchy
Mar 29, 2013

Xoidanor posted:

He didn't though, he simply followed poker stars plan to the letter, even when it clearly didn't apply. For example even when he had a higher white and 10 black he still stuck to betting 2 despite doubling essentially being risk free for most of the game.

I'd call that more playing a very safe game than anything else, possibly too safe but at the same time it's a good strategy. He was counting the cards, right? So I guess he figured there was a possibility that there was another black 10 in play at which point he would lose a lot. Admittedly the chance of that is super remote but non-zero.

He followed a strategy that wasn't his own to be sure and he probably didn't understand why it was a good strategy, but it was a good strategy executed competently and won the game.

SuccinctAndPunchy
Mar 29, 2013

That was a really great main match and renewed my excitement for Season 3. Dongmin is a fantastic player and he seems like a great guy to have on your side too, since he went to some fairly extraordinary lengths to protect his own when he could've gotten away with just not doing anything. Offering Yeonseung garnets to not pick his team is remarkable, he's always looking for a way to influence the game to his liking and I really dig that kind of player. He's kinda my favourite to win right now.

speaking of, I really dunno about Yeonseung declining said offer. Maybe he felt he just had no chance surviving by facing off against one of the others, but making an enemy out of the one of the stronger and loyal players in the game and giving up potential garnets all for the sake of what seemed like a pride thing doesn't strike me as the smartest move and I will be really surprised if it doesn't bite him square in the rear end in future, Dongmin cannot be happy about that and that dude has a shitload to leverage to get him KO'ed.

death match just upset me because that entire game was torpedo'ed on one minor mistake and it just made me sad. Such a middling note for Sujin to go out on but I didn't want Yeonseung to go out either. He doesn't seem like he'll win at all or produce any stellar Genius moments (the one he did have last time was bizarrely cut from the episode) and his decisions are often really questionable but he makes me smile when he's around, he just seems like a nice guy. I'm glad he's outliving the people I don't find as lively at any rate even if he generally plays worse.

good episode, 8/10 the new season's starting to pick up the pace

SuccinctAndPunchy
Mar 29, 2013

Hat Thoughts posted:

Dongmin chose to be an honorable man who accepted his fate while remaining entertaining throughout, instead of being, for example, Yeonseung

Instead of being...I dunno graceful but not particularly entertaining.

i don't get what your beef with mentality king is

SuccinctAndPunchy
Mar 29, 2013

Symbolic Butt posted:

I'll eat my hat. Yeonjoo loving destroyed poker dude! :aaa:

Also Mentality King dominating the racing game was so satisfying, this is my favorite season 3 episode.

Yeah, goddamn Yeonjoo's performance in the deathmatch was so refreshing in how competently executed it was. I figured she'd also just break down like Ahyoung having spent much of the season also not doing much but good on her for showing why she's in the show to start with.

I loving love Yeonseung, it was really clear that he'd grown from his experience last time with Middle Race and it was so satisfying to watch him inflict the same helplessness on the other players even if it fell apart a bit towards the end.

That end of episode preview though holy poo poo I cannot wait

SuccinctAndPunchy
Mar 29, 2013

My favourite Sangmin moment from S2 (and possibly my favourite editing bit in the series) was during that game I can't remember the name of where they had dice that could be broken apart and reconstructed to form better dice where they spent most of the episode building up to the late reveal that the dice could be broken apart and reconstructed and it was a huge game-changing revelation that occurred pretty late on and now it was a rush to see who could capitalise on it.

and then it rewinds to sangmin having figured it out half an hour ago and losing his poo poo over having solved the game with perfect dice so fast. That was loving awesome. That is both a great highlight of Sangmin always being a step ahead and also hella great editing to make it all the sweeter to watch.

SuccinctAndPunchy
Mar 29, 2013

that was clutch as gently caress holy poo poo

Sitting there thinking "please call impossible please call impossible". But it just wasn't to be for poor Yeonjoo.

Highlights the great never say die attitude of dongmin, because most players would've put the bend down and just conceded track completion but he kept the game going on the hopes that his opponent might screw up and it totally bailed him out.

SuccinctAndPunchy
Mar 29, 2013

NowonSA posted:

Dongmin winning the Yutnori match for his team with literally no pieces from the opposition on the board is one of the most impressive feats I've seen on the Genius, no joke. That's basically as unlikely as winning a chess match against someone with more than a very basic knowledge of chess while losing no more than one or two non-pawn pieces. Remember that every other Yutnori game we've seen, tactical or otherwise, took foreeeever and had pieces from various players all over the board by the time it ended.

Yeah I'm agreement that was kind of ridiculous how he always had the right read. How many deathmatches has Dongmin played before? He seems to be uncannily strong at them despite not having all that much practice with them. I always wonder how Sangmin would do in them because he seems to just avoid the death match as much as he possibly can and therefore probably wouldn't be as practiced. Also I'm amused how Sangmin has won both main matches already, I don't think it'll be easy for him to clean sweep the whole show like before but he's on the right track.

SuccinctAndPunchy
Mar 29, 2013

Max posted:

It was that and also realizing that he could easily read the lawyer's numbers since he was making those giant decisive hand motions. I noticed him writing his out as words but they don't mention it on the show, sadly. It was one of the better plays that I wish was highlighted.

They did highlight it, but in a Behind The Scenes clip instead of on the actual show for some reason which yeah I don't know why this didn't get into the actual episode because it's pretty good: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7gWZGiNN7C0

e; i'm an idiot who didn't follow the discussion properly sorry this was already known hurrr

SuccinctAndPunchy
Mar 29, 2013

From Start To Clear sounds alright, anyone know anything about that? It's got a name that makes it frustratingly difficult to Google.

SuccinctAndPunchy fucked around with this message at 14:37 on Oct 6, 2015

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SuccinctAndPunchy
Mar 29, 2013

Manic X posted:

Just started watching Season 3; which do people regard as the best season? I just want to know whether it gets even better, or whether the best os behind me.

I'd go with 4,1,3,2 but 4 and 1 are both excellent seasons and I only really put 4 in the top placement because season 1 still had some kinks to work out with its games and death matches early on while Season 4, they'd had plenty of time to figure that poo poo out and the format had gotten pretty refined at that point and I ended up leaving that season feeling like there were no dud episodes, all smashing and had exciting, memorable moments. Season 1 had a couple of wet fart games but the cast was incredible and the atmosphere far more light-hearted and enjoyable compared to some of the later seasons. 3 and 2 are enjoyable but both have their fair share of wet fart episodes but I think 3 had a stronger, more enjoyable cast and wasn't bogged down by 2's weird metagame which served to make some of the episodes and games a lot less dynamic than they would otherwise be.

they're all still pretty enjoyable for sure because Genius is a really quality show but I tend to lean to the popular consensus that S2 is the weakest for sure. Then we all argue over whether 1 or 4 was greatest but everyone seems pretty sure that S3 is among bottom two at least.

If you haven't gotten to Season 4 yet you're in for a real treat, seriously. Enjoy that poo poo it's a absolutely fabulous conclusive season.