Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Fast Luck
Feb 2, 1988

qbert posted:

That 2nd episode was complicated as hell. I noticed that Jinho conveniently revealed the reversed straight plan when he happened to be the one in the middle receiving the 10 garnets. Nice.
However his garnet count isn't that high. He must have given them all to his team after and they just never showed it. That seems like something they should have shown. Everyone knows he's a threat and they want to get rid of him, so if he's sent to something like the Sun Moon Star game, he'll be screwed without support. Makes sense he would give away some of his garnets now to try to solidify some friendships.

qbert posted:

I don't get this either. People hate him because he's bad at the game I guess? Dude is actually a pretty funny/entertaining/nice guy on other variety shows and I knew Hongchul would have his back in the end because they've been really close friends for years and he probably resented being forced to payback the spy with eliminating his good friend for no reason.
It wasn't really for no reason, it was for the very reason you just said. They're too close so he wanted to split them up. It probably wasn't worth the risk though.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Fast Luck
Feb 2, 1988

Zythrst posted:

Am I the only one that thinks Gyul is too strong in the Hap/Gyul game? I honestly think it should only be worth one point.
And how about the finale of the first season? (first season spoiler coming up because I just finished watching it and wanna talk about it some)

Jinho could call out gyuls freely and if right get a three point score, and if wrong his allies would pick him up so he wouldn't lose anything. If Kyungran called out a gyul incorrectly, she would usually give up two points. So gyul which was already quite strong was really gifted to Jinho. I think he was not as good as Kyungran in that game and didn't deserve to win it. Would have been nice to go to all three games in the bo3 instead of just being 2-0. I'm confident Jinho would have easily won the memory game anyway, though.

Kyungran was really good at The Genius... I think she was the most complete player that season with a combination of intelligence and politics/charm. But nobody could knock out Jinho. Jinho's card reading trick in open/pass really was a defining moment of the season, the other players had isolated him and Poong and he still escaped which allowed him to go on to the end. He and Sangmin were good choices to bring back as they both bring lots of good moments to the show in different ways. I was surprised Jinho reappeared in this season after winning the last one...

The player I miss most from the first season though is probably Sunggyu. He wasn't the smartest player but he was always doing something sneaky and he just had this personality where you couldn't even be mad at him when he pulled one on you. Gura was fun for awhile but then just started sulking.

A lot of the women other than Kyungran kind of blended together for me that season, this season everyone is much more distinctive, especially with Jaekyung out - I would've thought a pop idol would've been better socially than she seemed to be. Her betting strategy looked decent though. The sports anchor was the one person who didn't stand out much but then she took out the professional Go player! Yoonsun seems like she is going to be really good. Boxer is probably the most invisible person left out there.

Fast Luck fucked around with this message at 21:19 on Jan 1, 2014

Fast Luck
Feb 2, 1988

Rarity posted:

There was also a ton of chat about it in Couch Chat
That's where I first caught wind of it. Then seeing the season 2 thread pop up is what gave me the push to get into it. I wish there had been an OP for season one because not knowing anything about Korea, I didn't know anything about the people and constantly would be asking myself "which one is the pool player?" "what is Kyungran famous for?" "who is Poong?" etc. The introductions in the first episode were pretty brief too.

Fast Luck
Feb 2, 1988

Speaking of the memory game, part of me thought it was the purest death match yet, but another part of me wondered if it was put in to ensure Jinho's survival. He'd already proved he was adept at memorization, and I'm sure he would have won that challenge. Putting that challenge there basically made it very likely that if he went to the death match, he'd win, and then advance either to either win another silver or to finally break his bad luck streak.

Fast Luck
Feb 2, 1988

Sunggyu is cool as hell.

Btw, Jinho (YellOw) is set to play in a new televised Starcraft Brood War event. It's kind of a big deal because that game had been left for dead after SC2 came out, but now that the novelty's worn off this is kind of a trial balloon to see if there's still interest in BW. He's retired from playing though so he'll probably lose bad and I'd bet they recruited him for the event because of his exposure on The Genius.

Fast Luck fucked around with this message at 20:11 on Jan 6, 2014

Fast Luck
Feb 2, 1988

Which episode was Confined Horse Race? I don't know how you can hate Sunggyu and Sangmin after that one.

Fast Luck
Feb 2, 1988

Great characters both of them - here's Sangmin dancing (no real spoilers in this video)
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OJuVlRn89bw

btw I noticed Bumdidlyumptious said on Twitter she's going to be slower subbing from now on because she's back at work.

Fast Luck fucked around with this message at 02:56 on Jan 7, 2014

Fast Luck
Feb 2, 1988

Probably too much BW talk for this thread incoming but: Think about when he and Boxer were at the top of the game. That was basically a decade ago! It was an exciting time for BW and that's why they're legends but they've long since faded and been surpassed. The one guy from that era that had the most staying power was NaDa aka the Genius Terran aka Jinho's guest in season one! But Jinho himself not so much. He got bounced in the preliminaries of every major league from 2007 through his retirement in 2011 and even his retirement is now a few years old. The one thing you can say is that he took games off modern legends Bisu and Jaedong, so I guess he can gameplan well for big matches, but he wasn't winning consistently anywhere and even that was 3-4 years ago. I'll be pulling for him though. Maybe he's clever enough to pull a few wins out of his hat.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=N1rP4f-YE_I

Fast Luck fucked around with this message at 21:35 on Jan 7, 2014

Fast Luck
Feb 2, 1988

Here's a big season two interview I grabbed from teamliquid where the subber posts. Also, apparently Jinho did a show about Puzzle and Dragons with Jungmoon from season one, and they also made... this together

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VIw4JxWx6-Q

YellOw: I found out really late. I confirmed my appearance and got the cast list later on and that's when I found out about BoxeR. On one hand I was happy, but on the other I could see through BoxeR's intentions. I've been close to BoxeR since our progamer days. Personally I always felt that BoxeR was really overrated when he was a progamer so I think this is a good opportunity to show that to everyone.

Producer: I've called BoxeR before in season 1. There was the guest special and I called him occasionally asking him to appear on the show. At the time he was the coach of a progaming team, but he retired soon after. Then he called me first saying he could appear on the show and that's how he joined the cast."

Noh Hong Chul: I'm afraid of YellOw who's armed with experience and skills. Lawyer Lim Yoon Sun is also a dark horse. I think I was cast because of my scam artist image.

When I'm playing the games I tend to think about what story and characters I should make, but if you start thinking about those things in 'The Genius 2' you fall behind. That's how strong the cast's desire to win is.

I have a specific genre that I like which is the deduction and psychological type like in 'Infinite Challenge'. But I think 'The Genius 2' is the program that has the most evolved form of this type of show. I came to have fun, but couldn't understand the situation. I was wondering what was going on. The fun in 'Infinite Challenge' and here is different. 'Infinite Challenge's fun comes from the story, but 'The Genius 2' is about survival. I can't be too specific, but currently 'The Genius 2' is a show where I go with no thoughts and come back hollow. It's that kind of hugely fun show.

Sangmin: It's the first time I've seen Noh Hong Chul on a broadcast with a stiff face. He has no confidence and there's no soul in his laughter. I think observation skills are my greatest weapon and in my eyes, Hong Chul is incredibly tense.

BoxeR: It was a show I really wanted to appear in. I heard from the producer that YellOw could end up not appearing on it, so I said to him "If YellOw isn't there, how do you expect me to adapt and show my full ability? You have to give him a champion seed" and convinced him to get YellOw as well. There's actually some good points and some points that I can't accept about YellOw winning season 1. YellOw and my head to head score is pretty even. I just managed to win more on big stages. But seeing YellOw suddenly win through this program, I just couldn't accept that reality. That's why I decided to appear on the show. I'm struggling to adapt to the games, but once I've gotten used to it, I'll be a scary force.

Sangmin: Since season 2 is after season 1 has been aired, a lot of very smart people have joined the cast. They must have also analyzed the broadcast so they all have a high understanding of the games. I could relax in season 1, but I have no room to do that now. The contestants have a very strong determination to win. I think Lim Yoon Sun is especially amazing. Season 2 has been very taxing on me.

Yoo Jung Hyun: It was really hard for me to adjust to the atmosphere since it's been so long since I was last on a broadcast. I thought I had suffered everything when I was a congressman, but on 'The Genius 2', much younger kids were doing it so it was more annoying. So I really didn't want to come to this press conference, but since it was in the area I just popped by to say hello. I'm also really annoyed that they're not giving us food. I've never felt refreshed after a recording.

I want to give hope to old people. Gura fell in episode 6, and people were saying that they thought I'd be eliminated in the 2nd or 3rd episode. How ridiculous.

Nam Hwee Jong: I don't feel any competition with Seoul University.
Lee Doo Hee: I think I'll be cursed a lot after the articles go out, but I don't pay attention to local universities. I applied for KAIST and was rejected before, so whenever I see a KAIST student it's a bit sucky.

Sangmin: I heard a saying I'd never heard before through YellOw. I can't reveal it because it was a R19 saying, but it was a saying filled with a desire to win. (Reporters urge him to reveal it). It surprised me to hear "shut your teeth" instead of "shut your mouth".

Sangmin: Since this a reality show there's not much time to think. I think YellOw is especially quick at using his brain.

Noh Hong Chul: I don't know if it's because YellOw was a progamer, but his instantaneous judging of the situation is really fast. Also because the alliances change constantly you need a really good personality, but YellOw's sociability is really solid.

YellOw: Since season 1 was the first time the program aired, I was busy feeling things out. This time, everyone's prepared and determined. The competition is fierce. I wanted to show the aura of a champion, but it's really tough for me. It's really intense and fun.

Producer: There were some people talking about the fairness of YellOw and Sangmin appearing on the show again, but because our program is a variety show, we thought mostly about how to make it fun for the viewers.

Noh Hong Chul: The other contestants make their presence known, but for Doo Hee it's like he's there and then he's not. It's like he's not there, but then he's got his hands in something. So people were really surprised. I didn't really expect anything from him, but I now understand why he joined the cast.

Noh Hong Chul: Because of my personality, if I'm acquainted with someone I tend to stay in contact for a long time. So I've stayed in touch with Lim Yoon Sun over that time. Although we don't get to see each other often, we do occasionally have dinner. I also had an advantage because I knew Lim Yoon Sun's tendencies. In a way I started out with more information. It was good for me in the games because I knew how she reacted when she's worked up.

Sangmin: It won't be easy to overcome YellOw's progamer temperament. The other cast members struggle to maintain their focus until the end of the game, but YellOw doesn't falter until the result is decided. In season 1, YellOw became a different person whenever there was a death match. Whenever the odds become unfavorable, other people would lose their concentration, but YellOw quickly brushes it aside and returns to a normal state of mind.

Yoo Jung Hyun: There's no word to describe YellOw. There's an over 10 year difference between us, but within the games, that age difference isn't allowed. Outside of the show he's extremely formal, but in the program he calls out to me with "hey" and it makes me really not want to face him. If I was to choose who I didn't want to face the most in a death match, it would be YellOw. If I end up meeting YellOw, I want to surrender.

Yoo Jung Hyun: I think BoxeR joined the show just to beat YellOw. Having a definite goal is BoxeR's character and in order to achieve this goal he seems like a flexible and sly guy with something to hide.

Jaekyung: After watching season 1 I had deified YellOw. He was a godlike existence. But after seeing him in person, he was a really scary person. I felt very afraid.

BoxeR: In a game I control the units with my commands within the game. But in 'The Genius 2' I have to face people I don't know well and resolve things through words, but I have no experience in this sort of thing. Since I'm not very knowledgeable about these things I'm getting caught up in stuff. I think I need to collect my thoughts and prepare well. Only then will I be able to take down the huge mountain in front of me. So I want to go through the death match multiple times to show my skills to people.

Producer: Since it's a reality show, the cast occasionally unconsciously says things swayed by their emotions. While filming, the words "Shut your teeth" came out of YellOw's mouth and it was so unfamiliar to me that it left a big impression.

Noh Hong Chul: YellOw is really friendly. He curses with people he's never seen before. It gave me the impression that he was a very open person with a good personality.

Lee Da Hye: The male contestants really don't care about their image. They act in ways that make me question whether you can really act that way. They're good at lying and betraying people and never trust others. I was surprised that there were people like this. YellOw is a character who's sharp, says what's on his mind and is skilled, but you just can't hate him. Even when he says something bad, it doesn't feel offensive. He has a humane charm that makes you unable to hate him. I think he'll get to the top 3 easily.

(Sunggyu thinks Eun Ji Won will win)
Eun Ji Won: Why? I don't think I'll be able to win. I think I'll just be a prop that's helpful when people ally together. I'm not confident I'll be able to survive a 1v1 death match, so I don't think I'll be able to win.
Noh Hong Chul: I've known Eun Ji Won for a long time, but in this game he has a charm that's difficult to hate. Greedy people tend to attract scorn, and I've known Jiwon hyung for a long time, but he acts in ways that make me wonder whether he has any greed at all. If you see him being harsh, or worked up, or being greedy in this show, that will become Jiwon's Achilles's Heel and it will come back to bite him like a boomerang in a death match.

Nam Hwee Jong: I was a Zerg player and a fan of YellOw, but after meeting him in person we were just friends of the same age and it was great to see his human side.

Lee Da Hye: YellOw reminded me of Go genius Lee Sae Dol. He's smart and has a down to earth charm that makes it impossible to hate him.

YellOw: Because Sangmin hyung's such a good speaker, there are many occasions where I look back later and a lot of things that he said that were just stupid, but I couldn't help being swayed by him. It would be really great to have him on my side, but I'm much more worried that he's aiming for me behind my back.

Sangmin: I joined the show again because I'm desperate for the prize money. Out of the 13 contestants, there's probably no one who's as desperate for the prize money as me. I said this in season 1 as well, but I want to co-produce the next season of Mnet's 'God of Music' with the money. I want to win this season no matter what and make 'God of Music 2'. I don't know why they're making boring shows like 'Enemy of Broadcasts' instead of 'God of Music 2'.

(Asked about who's better looking)
BoxeR: There's the pros and cons of me being tall and YellOw having better proportions. I can't say who's better.
YellOw: Looks are subjective. BoxeR is tall but he has a big head and I have better proportions but I'm short. To be honest, I think I'm better looking.

(Talking about BoxeR YellOw rivalry)
YellOw: That's nonsense. Before I retired, when we faced each other near the end I won most of the time. From that moment on, BoxeR was nothing to me. BoxeR isn't my rival. Isn't it just BoxeR who thinks we're rivals?

Producer: Most of the games in 'The Genius' are based on tabletop RPGs. What this means is that you can't simply understand the rules and use your head. You need to have conversations with the other contestants and form relationships to play out the games. Also, because you're forced to play with other people, a "person's charm" plays a big part. The people that viewers have good feelings towards are likely to be well liked by the other players too. Since personal relationships and conversation are such a big part of it, these things are likely to be the key to victory.

It's meaningless to differentiate between male or female. 'The Genius' is simply about 'people you need' and 'people you don't need' (laugh).

Producer: This time we worked in cooperation with a board game company which introduced us to a lot of new board games for use as references. After season 1 ended in July, we prepared 12 main match games and 10 death matches in 3 months.

Producer: We gave as much consideration as possible to make sure that a wide demographic could understand the games. I thought that we needed to improve the understanding of the games. When the game had complicated rules, we carried out an advance rehearsal. Of course, if a rehearsal is meaningless or a rehearsal would lessen the fun of the game, we didn't do this and played the game straight away. But it wasn't very easy to shine a light on the tangled up relationships with simple games. So even if people don't understand the program's rules at all, I hope that we'll at least be able to make it fun.

Sangmin: Sunggyu and I still keep in touch. I don't see anyone in season 2 to form a partnership like I did with Sunggyu. It won't be easy to win.

Jaekyung: I was really impressed with Sunggyu's role in season 1. So I wanted to get advice from him. Luckily, Sunggyu and I go to the same hairdresser, so I decided I was going to make sure to ask him if we met. But after it was decided that I would be on the show, Sunggyu left on a concert tour. So I still haven't been able to get any advice.

Lee Da Hye: Since I'm a pro, I'm very competitive. I hate losing. If I go to a death match, I want to face a strong opponent so I want to play against YellOw.

Fast Luck
Feb 2, 1988

I dunno, people like him, he's been honest, and he's the best at the games, but if he finds himself in something like the winning streak game, or sun moon star, or quattro for a death match, do you really think a majority of people will be willing to help him? Maybe if he hadn't just won last time... And even other games like Tactical Yutnori and Indian Poker, I'm sure he's pretty beatable in them even if he is the best at them. It just takes someone bold to pick him, like Sunggyu picking the poker player Jimmy Cha last season. Survivor doesn't have a mechanism where Boston Rob automatically would go up for elimination for losing a challenge or because an opponent nominated him.

Fast Luck fucked around with this message at 00:40 on Jan 9, 2014

Fast Luck
Feb 2, 1988

GraPar posted:

Woah, subber just tweeted "Very controversial episode this week. They had to edit some parts out to lessen the backlash." Am now unbelievably excited to watch it. (Some people in the replies seemed similarly shocked )
Man, it promises to be exciting but I don't think I want backlash and controversy in my Genius show. :ohdear: The people I see most likely to screw someone over severely are probably Doohee (token of immortality issue) or maybe Sangmin. But when she says they had to "edit parts out" that doesn't seem to mesh, how could you edit parts of a double cross out to lessen backlash? That comment makes me think that what they're editing out is some kind of tirade or bullying or something, more Brandon Hantz like, but I don't see something like that coming from any of the remaining contestants. Hmm, maybe someone picked a partner for something like tactical yutnori who sabotaged them every hand and threw the wrong stuff? And they just showed a little of it instead of all of it? Haha what if it was Boxer who did it to YellOw, that'd cause some backlash. I dunno, I guess speculation is useless but this sounds kind of negative to me.

Fast Luck fucked around with this message at 07:32 on Jan 13, 2014

Fast Luck
Feb 2, 1988

Nexal posted:

Could it be that the episodes that arrive were only 2-3 episodes behind the shootings and rest of the cast watched newest episode and saw the Safe so now everyone knows where it is in the next episode that we are awaiting to watch eagerly.
I think it's more like a 5-episode gap between recording and air time. source: something I think I read somewhere

Fast Luck
Feb 2, 1988

Well I hope she subs it quickly this week. Esp as I've not read any spoilers.

Fast Luck fucked around with this message at 02:00 on Jan 14, 2014

Fast Luck
Feb 2, 1988

doomisland posted:

Eunhyuk was right! #sage #prophet #sangminfalsegod
Yep, big redemption moment for him here. There's a lot to talk about in this episode.

Okay, first off, at the beginning Yohwan was kind of spying on Sangmin's cards. He says, Is cheating allowed? and the dealer says No. If you ask me, literally stealing someone's ID so they can't play (and even using it yourself) is cheating. He didn't lose that card, he merely left the room for a minute in a moment of excitement. And without it he couldn't even play the game. People have never held onto someone's game card like that for so long and it directly ruined the game. I know the producers enjoyed Jinho's garnets being stolen in s1e1 and that was kind of fun, but here they should have just intervened and said the ID had to be given back. That was stealing, and that broke the game.

Secondly, I liked Yohwan's aggressive play this episode, but he still messed up for sure. First, Sangmin just straight up screwed him over the token of immortality. That I can forgive Sangmin for and don't blame Yohwan for too much. But then giving up the bomb in the monopoly game was the equivalent of handing the broadcasters the win. He really showed his naivety as that move would only work out if everyone was competing for individual wins, which they obviously weren't. The only way for Yohwan to win the game would be to not reveal what cards he needed or to agree to trade a bomb for a wood and then not pass the bomb. When he was hoping he had a deal with Jiwon (and again, it was a good offer if lines weren't already firmly drawn) I knew there was no way. Jiwon's own alliance was going to give him immunity as well, so Jiwon's choice was basically whether he wanted to accept the same offer from his own alliance or from an outsider. Total non-starter.

Now with my comments on that all out of the way, we get to some of the nasty stuff. First off, Doohee had already been totally screwed out of the main game, and then Sangmin goes and acts his friend just to pull another nasty move on him. Normally, Sangmin's play there would've been super slick, but in this case, it was just... really? Basically, it was a play to get Jinho out of the game by tricking Doohee into facing him. Then they'd help Doohee if they could, and if not, he could be out. So, yeah, slick, but doing it to the guy who literally just got cheated out of the main match was too much.

When Doohee turned it around and it temporarily looked like Hongchul vs. Yooyoung I was super pumped, because this season really, really, really needed a shake up like that. The broadcaster alliance exists too firmly inside and outside the game, and it detracts from the match ups themselves. The games in the main matches have taken a major backseat lately to alliance play and the broadcasters bruting their way through. I don't have anything against Hongchul but if he in particular went out it would be good for the game. He basically just bulldozes through everyone with his onslaught of frighteningly manic charm. With him gone, the players might scatter some.

Doohee did a really good job picking his teams for Blackout game, and then Sangmin shored up the team selection by alienating Yohwan completely. Sangmin probably wants to win a bit too much as he is working to get Jinho out to the point of obsession. Unfortunately Doohee's team selection went to waste as he was extremely blind in not seeing through Jiwon. On the way up to defend the guy couldn't look Doohee in the face and never once gave a vocal answer in the affirmative in terms of pressing green, instead simply nodding a bunch and then mumbling something like "I hurt him too much" again without actually saying he was going to make up for it.

Jiwon, though, man. Before I just thought he was an ugly pig-faced moron locked in Hongchul's orbit. Now I realize he's also a total piece of poo poo. He more or less cheats Doohee out of the main match, then he gets all apologetic and makes new promises, only to betray him again. Hey, guess what, rear end in a top hat, you had another option you know... you could have just told him you weren't going to help him, and then guessed on your own whether to press red or green! Completely unnecessary scumbag move from Jiwon, and then to find out he'd made a phone call promise to Doohee in real life as well, outside the game, well that's just seals the deal on his character. I'm really glad this guy is facing a backlash from the public and I just hope he gets run out of the game quickly as well.

I've gotta mention Yooyoung here as well. She's not Jiwon bad but she's too dirty for me. This is after she really impressed me early on by taking out the Go player in Hap Gul, but looking back I just picture now how much better the game could've been if Dahye had survived there. One more normal person in the mix... This also makes me further regret the non-celeb on non-celeb violence of Yoonsun versus Yohwan. I understand the pick but I wish she would've targeted one of the celebs, especially given what the game turned out to be. Remember at the beginning of that episode, when Jinho picked her out as who he wanted to go down? That was kind of like Yohwan trying to work with the broadcasters this episode... not realizing lines have already been drawn.

Anyway, real bummer this season has gone this way. *faces of season one contestants pop up here as I sigh wistfully*

Fast Luck fucked around with this message at 05:55 on Jan 15, 2014

Fast Luck
Feb 2, 1988

Season 1: Kyungran cries when Jimmy Cha gets knocked out, because she liked him and held him in such high esteem. She was a broadcaster, and he wasn't.
Season 2: Doohee cries after Jiwon cheats him out of the game, then brutally and unnecessarily betrays him in the death match, after making outside-the-game calls pledging support to him, in order to protect his broadcaster mafia alliance.

Fast Luck
Feb 2, 1988

Dogs for life!!! gently caress cats!

Fast Luck
Feb 2, 1988

Ironic Twist, I dunno if you asked that cuz you think I came off like a weirdo in my long post but reading now the comments on that netizen blogspot http://t.co/Xak7KQFHFN and basically every commenter on there seems to be responding the same way I did and even moreso... people claiming they'll quit watching when Jinho gets knocked out, even saying they hope he gets knocked out so they can just quit watching, feeling bitter about the way people are being eliminated, the way the alliance is dumbing down the game, etc. On teamliquid too. So far I haven't read anyone blaming Doohee for leaving his ID on the table like some goons blamed him.

Also by the way, at 5:20 into the episode when Doohee first arrives at the house, Jiwon says, "You received my call?" Of course at the end of the episode it becomes, "I must have been drunk."

Also lol: http://i.imgur.com/nW1e2lS.jpg

Fast Luck fucked around with this message at 07:07 on Jan 15, 2014

Fast Luck
Feb 2, 1988

CeeJee posted:

The ID thing felt really contrived. I have no idea what the role of the ID cards was supposed to be in the game and why sometimes the ID cards were given facedown to the dealer and revealed to a camera positioned to peek at them. The idea seems to have been that when player X was thinking he/she trading with Y it was in fact Z who gave Y their ID to use but there was no set rule that ID cards were supposed to be face up or down.

In the end a player got totally screwed and put into a powerless position and no matter how much it was his own fault it made the game less fun. Making the deathmatch a game of who was liked most and no personal skill just added insult to injury.

It really makes me kind of annoyed at the producers for not stepping in. We know they watch the game unfold and we've seen them radio into one of the dealer's earpieces before. So they saw his ID get stolen, and then see he can't play, and then an hour later he still can't play and they're watching all this unravel and how do they not say okay, return the ID card at some point? That just sucked.

And that's not even the part that I think was particularly "nasty" by Jiwon and Yooyoung. At that point I was thinking, Really, this is the super controversial episode? But it's something that the producers should have stopped just the same.

The nasty stuff came later. By the way I think Doohee had a chance in that game, it wasn't decided if he'd just not trusted Jiwon, but yeah.

Fast Luck
Feb 2, 1988

The REAL Goobusters posted:

Yes. Seriously I couldn't believe it, this is what solidified as Sangmin into God tier status forever.
I don't know why Sangmin particularly impressed anyone with this move. They gave him a fake token. It wasn't a genius move by him, it was included in the package in the safe. Obviously he was never going to use the real token in that situation, because he's selfish and he has a fake token to work with. Were we surprised by it? Sure, that's it was put into the game, to introduce a twist exactly like what happened. You don't have to be brilliant to pull it off, though, because nobody is ever going to doubt that it's an official immortality token.

I love the scheming in this show more than the games itself I guess.
That's crazy. One of us is watching the wrong show and I really hope it's not me. The puzzles should be a central conceit of the game, not a tight-not alliance. Also, the "scheming" has not even been all that impressive. It's mostly just been the strength of superior numbers and now bullying. This season can't hold a candle to season 1.

Fast Luck fucked around with this message at 14:34 on Jan 15, 2014

Fast Luck
Feb 2, 1988

Kegslayer posted:

The last thing you'd want to do is publicly embarrass celebrities and have their fan club retaliate from creating petitions to force celebrities to commit suicide to mailing a bunch of envelopes with razor blades attached so the celebrity would cut themselves when they opened the letters to rushing on stage at a guy's birthday celebration to try to throw acid at him.

Hell, most of the Korean entertainment industry is loving dark and filled with horror stories like the CEOs of entertainment companies pimping out their underaged talent to advertisers, plying them with alcohol and drugs before raping them or forcing them to rape each other while they watched.
holy poo poo Korean culture is hosed up. :stare: No wonder they like to keep their variety shows light

Fast Luck
Feb 2, 1988

I think we need to stop spoilers at this point because everyone posting pretty much knows what happened.

Why I thought sangmin made a brilliant play:

He tried to manipulate Duhee into choosing Jinho. So either way Duhee was always going to go to the death match. But he didn't think he'd actually be that mad at yooyoung to choose her. (It def was going to be Jiwon picked). So fake totem was an original betrayal just in case Duhee would do something like this. Which it did!

Also extreme ways played and everything! C'mon man!

And it's a reality show. Yes the puzzles are awesome, but I love watching how people work together or betray people to win. A lot of the games in season 1 in the death match weren't all through skill and wits either (rock paper scissors). I don't know why it's so bad for someone like to enjoy people teaming up and and scheming. Like Jinho already won and yes he owns but honestly it kinda would be really boring if he won again and he's too good. There's only one way to stop him and everyone realized it already.

Sorry! Opinions but I'm loving the hell out of this season. But again I'm a Latino American, not Korean so I'm not able to really relate much at all to their culture much.
Working with other people should be a big part of the game, which is why I enjoyed Kyungran so much in season one. She was so adept at getting information from all players, getting along with all players, being trusted by all players, not being targeted by any players... but who she worked with changed a lot more depending on the game, while this season it's just the same alliance barreling through everything. They're not smoothly operating with whichever player they need, they're just keeping the same probably pre-show group together which is not half as impressive. And what's more, that alliance has done absolutely zero good "scheming" either so far, up until this episode (if you count that bullshit as good "scheming" that is). Stealing from someone so they can't even play definitely isn't scheming. After seeing that person near tears, giving him a fake promise and pledging to make it up to him and then betraying him again is scheming but not the kind that's clever or fun unless you just feed off all drama.

Sangmin's scheming? Insurrectionist just made a really good point about that. Doohee had incentive to pick Jinho if he wasn't given a token of immortality.

The rule on the spoilers is we use them for a week I think, it's only been a day.

Fast Luck fucked around with this message at 17:56 on Jan 15, 2014

Fast Luck
Feb 2, 1988

I liked Gura fine at first but as his followers stopped blindly following him he got kind of bitter and seemed to start sulking. His reaction to the paper rock scissors between Jinho and Poong to decide who left the village was just weird. I didn't think he was a bad guy, he didn't do anything particularly vile and he did pull off some cool moves, but he kind of withdrew when things stopped going his way.

Fast Luck
Feb 2, 1988

via UnKooL on teamliquid:

quote:

Genius producers officially apologized for the ID card theft and say its all their fault. Nothing important in the article except they say they will be more strict on rules like theft.
source: http://news.nate.com/view/20140116n21865

Fast Luck
Feb 2, 1988

I remember doing stuff like that in that game Guess Who. "Does the name have an 'e' in it?" I mean I was like 10yo but I was such a dork I figured out questions to ask to eliminate 50% of the people each turn. Although that's not necessarily a path to victory since more ambitious questions can eliminate a lot of people and get you there faster. Thanks for listening.

Fast Luck
Feb 2, 1988

GaussianCopula posted:

My guess is that you can't optimally solve the problem because there is no strictly dominant strategy. I can always ask a question that splits the pool not by 50% (e.g. 5% yes, 95% no) thereby taking a greater risk but potentially greater reward. The 50% strategy has probably the best worst case, but the worst best case while a higher risk strategy has a better best case but a much worse average case.
This guy gets it.

Fast Luck
Feb 2, 1988

Rob Filter posted:

Not exactly. Consider:

Your opponent only has one choice left. You have twenty. Which lets you win more often;

1. Narrow the field down to 10/10, and immediately lose.
2. Take a 1 in 20 guess.

Your strategy has to take into account opponent boardstate.
Right but Gaussian already recognized that in his first post but someone else was pushing for the "optimal" solution anyway. By the way that solution might be optimal for the person who gets to go first, but if the player going second also used that same technique he'd lose every time, so the person going second will have to ask the 75/25 (or 60/40 etc) questions and if they hit then switch to 50/50, while the person who went first switches to 75/25 in an attempt to catch up. Imo.

Fast Luck
Feb 2, 1988

This was a pretty fun episode with people helping each other, running off to work on things on their own, a good little trick to the puzzle, etc. I guess the magnet thing was just a complete red herring... It was funny how lucky Yohwan and Junghyun got with their rolls, and then it all meant nothing once Sangmin got a chance to go. I wasn't that surprised he'd made 100% dice considering what he'd been up to something quite early on.

Crazy how that Indian hold'em game went down. The best player loses to the worst but it really couldn't have gone any other way. Jinho has the worst card in the deck so Jiwon goes all in. Jiwon has the worst card in the deck so Jinho has to call. Shame though. We'll have to see if the other players can pick up the slack with Jinho gone.

Fast Luck fucked around with this message at 18:52 on Jan 20, 2014

Fast Luck
Feb 2, 1988

Hmm, could be. I thought the dice were screw-in but I guess there could've been a magnetic component to it?

Fast Luck
Feb 2, 1988

GraPar posted:

Oh man, amazing episode. That's got to be one of the best deathmatches ever, right? Cannot remember the last time I was that goddamn tense watching TV. Second tie was hilarious. Obviously devastated that Jinho is out and that the most annoying player is still in, but on the plus side it does open the game up massively. I think it was kind of dumb by Jinho to call Jiwon in the first place though - obviously he was in a seemingly good position, but it was also obvious that he must have a lovely card + that trying to rush the game was massively advantageous to Jiwon. Going to be so weird next week watching an episode of The Genius that doesn't have Jinho in it!

Actual game was really good and well-designed this week, funny how well the order of the people rolling worked out. Love that even though he has the immunity idol (or whatever), Sangmin was still playing all-out.

Haha, Korean peeps be mad about this episode

I dunno, how does Jinho not call there? He can see Jiwon has the worst card in the deck, a card that it's impossible to lose to. Moreover, he knows Jiwon was trying to force them to play with a low chip count so he knows Jiwon was planning to make it a short game regardless. Like, Jinho could have very well had a 3 or a 4 or something and Jiwon might still make that same move. There's no way you can't call him in that scenario where there's a 9/10 chance you just ended it and won and a 1/10 chance that you didn't even lose, but merely tied.

Fast Luck
Feb 2, 1988

GraPar posted:

To be honest I'd be interested to know if they knew what was going to happen if they tied. If they thought they would just get their chips back then obviously you'd have to go for it, but if they were aware that it was going to become totally luck-driven then it's definitely a dumber play, especially when you're pretty drat confident of winning in the long run, as Jinho must have been
But I'd say there is no long run necessarily, if Jiwon is going to play aggressive and repeatedly all-in. That's another thing Jinho had to factor in. Maybe he imagines Jiwon goes all-in every time Jinho has a below average card, like I think he may have done if the game had continued. You can't just repeatedly fold and give away chips, you have to call and make a stand. When Jiwon has the worst card in the deck is the time to do it.

Also, I'm pretty sure they knew the chips ride, I remember them saying that, probably in this episode but definitely in the previous Indian poker games.

Fast Luck
Feb 2, 1988

Xachariah posted:

s2 e7: Never forget the back of the cards having a different pattern depending on orientation play. That was his best moment and it was awesome. The most genius thing I've seen on the show.

Doubly awesome because he had been excluded from alliances that game and won solely with the solo play. Ah Jinho, I already miss you.

I actually kind of think the backs of the cards thing wasn't put in intentionally either. The trick the producers were trying to offer to the contestants was the different colored backs, not the different designs. Jinho just out-clevered the game. It was funny even with the Jinho snubbers knowing the back of card trick none of their scores came close to his and a lot of them threw up total duds. Kyungran was the only one remotely close.

Fast Luck
Feb 2, 1988

Rarity posted:

Jiwon totally deserved to win that death match. His play was spot on.
gently caress that noise. I don't know how you can say that. His play was basically the right move, yes, but so was Jinho's. Jiwon didn't "deserve" to win - or lose - and he won by pure luck of the draw.

comedyblissoption posted:

Can Sangmin use the token if he loses a game, or is it only to deflect if he is chosen?

Sangmin seems invincible until the final 3. Who the hell would pick Sangmin even without the immortality token if it's possible poker could come up again?

I actually think picking Sangmin is quite harmless. He just deflects it and you face someone else, and that's that. It's not particularly dangerous to the person choosing him, is it? It's just a one-time get out of jail card for Sangmin.

Tonfa posted:

He was pretending to be horrible at yutnori to have the other team let their guard down. Remember, Sunggyu and him actually won that game. He completely dies in any game related to memory or speed though.
Ha, so he claimed. Sunggyu didn't believe that and I don't really either... He might have just been trying to save face.

Fast Luck fucked around with this message at 04:22 on Jan 22, 2014

Fast Luck
Feb 2, 1988

Of course it was the right move, but Jinho called it because Jiwon himself had a 2, and then it came down to total chance and nothing but. If Jinho had drawn the higher card in the end, would Jiwon still have "deserved" to win? The answer is that he never deserved to win, and neither did Jinho, they both made correct and almost automatic moves, and then it was just luck took care of it.

Fast Luck
Feb 2, 1988

There's the international trailer in the OP but it's not really helpful... I would describe it as a show with Survivor-style eliminations, but built around weekly brain-teaser type competitions instead of on an island. Also a big difference is how much more friendly and cool and likable everyone is on The Genius except that only holds for season one. Which is the only of the two seasons that I'd give a full-throated endorsement for anyway.

Honestly it just sounds like you're mad salty Jinho was taken out by the probably the dumbest dude on the cast left. Jiwon was really smart in that game because Jinho has shown he is a killer in these types of death matches. I mean honestly if it came down to it and if the game went any longer Jinho probably would have won. The only chance Jiwon had for winning it was just to get it over as soon as possible. Ballsy play but it paid off. I like Jinho a lot too but it would have been a bit boring if he just won the whole thing again IMO.
Not really, I agree that Jiwon played it the right way for him and said as much. But that doesn't mean he "deserves" to win. Being worse at a contest than someone else and therefore shortening the match and tilting the outcome more toward chance doesn't mean you "deserve" to win. As I said, neither Jiwon nor Jinho deserved to win/lose, they both took the correct path in the game the way I see it, and it came down to chance. And when the outcome comes down to a random drawing there's no such thing as "deserves," just luck.

Fast Luck fucked around with this message at 02:06 on Jan 23, 2014

Fast Luck
Feb 2, 1988

Jiwon's strategy wasn't Jiwon's.

After the game interview s2e7
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1lzHB7Vuo-k

Fast Luck
Feb 2, 1988

Xachariah posted:

Yeah, what the hell was he thinking? He sorta just spazzed out and took some unconnected high numbers. He was drat lucky not to be dead last.
He and Junghyun took some really stupid numbers unnecessarily at the beginning. Then it was funny how greedy Yohwan was trying to send bets around an extra time so many times, actually I liked that in theory but it repeatedly would get taken sooner than expected without the designated people getting to collect the chips and garnets. Actually I think the game would have worked a bit better if it were a longer game because then there'd be more chances for people to go broke. For trying to prevent Sangmin from winning, it sure was goofy how many people passed on the numbers he needed. poo poo, they were low numbers too. Anyway, the main game was OK but it didn't do that much for me.

Junghyun's move in that memory game was practically game-breaking. A cool move though, I hadn't considered it. I did notice in season 1 that Kyung-ran and Sangmin both were trying and still both almost went off the edge of the belt before uncovering their first shapes. So that move made a lot of sense as soon as I saw him pick the same letter Hongchul picked. Hongchul almost lost without even getting to play, but he did pick one thing that Junghyun had already picked so he can't quite say it was completely out of his control. After this match up they definitely need to adjust that game though. But the trick was cool this time. Probably Extreme Ways worthy. Did Junghyun really get to start a square ahead AND make Hongchul go first? That seems a bit much.

Fast Luck fucked around with this message at 06:29 on Jan 28, 2014

Fast Luck
Feb 2, 1988

I really think that game needed more 'carnivores'? Junghyun and Sangmin were the only ones, Sangmin takes out Junghyun in round one and it's pretty much over. Yeah, the President and his son the Prince needed more firings but they couldn't make any themselves.

I loved seeing that dude who Jinho eliminated in the first ep get wise to the betrayal coming and take off. They were all planning their 'all joint winners, except you' strategy. Not so fast. Redemption!

Okay death match, it might have been a bit too simple, too much a roll of the dice. Oh well, it was great seeing a bunch of people I liked watching for a change this week!

Fast Luck
Feb 2, 1988

Yohwan is a bit strange. Like, when Junghyun's partner was running the auction, Yohwan offered his cube for 1, and Junghyun's partner managed to rack up a big score. Makes sense, he and Junghyun were allies, and the idea was they'd both help each other's team out like that, and the two of them would be at the top competing for the win.

But then when the blues came up he kept undercutting Junghyun by 1. Junghyun didn't understand why he was doing that and neither did I. It reminds me so much of the number block auction when Yohwan was working with Jiwon, but then took a high number right near Jiwon's, and either then or later, I forget, took in the pot when he was supposed to send it around again.

But he's not just being selfish, because he's making big sacrifices like bidding 1 with his color or like paying everyone off extremely in the block auction to try to keep it going around and work their strategy. I'm not sure if it's just his cheap nature leaking through in small ways, and thus blowing his alliances, or if he had actual reasons for those things that he just wasn't explaining.

Anyway, it's been pretty sad seeing him sitting there with 0 garnets for like the last 3 episodes. When he threw the game over to Sangmin and came in last himself, holy poo poo he would've been screwed in Indian Poker with no garnets. As much as they made it look like Sangmin had planned to help Yohwan with the immortality token all along, the fact that he was sitting there with 0 garnets definitely makes him more inviting to protect and bring along to the end. Smart play throwing the win to Sangmin though. If Sangmin didn't have immunity I doubt he would've given up that token.

Also, drat, Sangmin just lost 10 garnets by sharing them with Jiwon to make the Indian Poker more fair. That's a lot of garnets. And am I wrong or does Junghyun also owe Sangmin 3 garnets that he's just not paying back? Maybe he will now that he won so many... But that's kind of annoying me even though I like Junghyun for the most part. Either him or Sangmin would be a worthy winner, not so sure about Yohwan.

Fast Luck
Feb 2, 1988

Oh yeah, and while that main match was fine and good, I didn't really love it. A lot of it relied on what other people did or what colors you drew. I prefer matches like the dice one, or the open/pass one (even WITHOUT Jinho's epic trick). Those are the ones where individual players each go and put in their own performance and everyone's performances are compared against one another... so the best player can just win. Like in open/pass, where Jinho dominated, but even ignoring that, how despite everyone knowing the color differences of the card backs, you had people like Kyungran posting a really big score while Sunggyu (who I love) bombed out, all on his own, because his strategy wasn't as good.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Fast Luck
Feb 2, 1988

NeuroticLich posted:

Has Yohwan even had a plan this season that he didn't gently caress up himself five minutes later? Both this episode and the minus auction he came up with a strategy with Junghyun/Jiwon respectively and then started undercutting both of them almost immediately afterwards.
I don't really hate him or anything but he definitely has an annoying tendency to just blow up the games.