Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

EmmyOk
Aug 11, 2013

I just started watching this after a recommendation from an ADTRW thread. Just halfway through the first episode of the first season and this is the best reality show of all time except for maybe To Catch a Predator. I really like the idol and even more now after he just shafted the auctioneer lady and I hope Gura(?) does well also.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

EmmyOk
Aug 11, 2013

Just cooking dinner and then I'll watch the rest of the opening episode. I liked that Sungyu(?) seemed dumb and is actually a snake or is being helped by someone behind the scenes like the teaser seems to be implying. My suspicion is on the kindly older guy who explained the strategy, Minsoo(?).

EmmyOk
Aug 11, 2013

Gura is a viper :coal:

EmmyOk
Aug 11, 2013

I am super busy but I can't wait to do nothing but watch this all weekend. Just started the election in episode two of season one, others have started to notice Gura's excellence which is concerning. Jeohn being paid off with his own garnet in the opener was glorious.

EmmyOk
Aug 11, 2013

Gura got Changyeop elected :pusheen:

EmmyOk
Aug 11, 2013

I don't want to risk googling for spoilers and the opener wasn't clear, don't suppose anyone could post a list of season one constants and their profession?

e: Sangmin talking about "us musicians" with Sunggyou is always great :kimchi:

EmmyOk fucked around with this message at 23:39 on Jul 1, 2016

EmmyOk
Aug 11, 2013

Perfect thank you so much! Brand new haircut for Kyungran in episode three but she's still impossibly beautiful. Gura is still my number one though.

EmmyOk
Aug 11, 2013

PBS Newshour posted:

Theirs is seriously the best relationship in the series <3

Don't let anyone tell you any different

I am loving it so far, "Sangmin sunbae would not lead his hoobae astray" :allears:

EmmyOk
Aug 11, 2013

Me trying to follow this elimination game in episode three with the sticks

e: [EXTREME POWER]

EmmyOk fucked around with this message at 01:16 on Jul 2, 2016

EmmyOk
Aug 11, 2013

Ok so that makes sense. I am assuming if you piggyback and get caught you only lose your top disc? Or is it that you have multiple pieces to get around?

EmmyOk
Aug 11, 2013

Okay i think I am with it now! I appreciate the explanation, thanks! Pretty sad to see Minsoo gone because he was so clever and nice even if it means an easier rise for Gura. Glad I get more Sangmin/Sunggyu though.

EmmyOk
Aug 11, 2013

Propaganda Machine posted:

Why do you like Gura so much? I found him incredibly obnoxious.

He controlled the first two games pretty much and convinced Sunggyu to take on his biggest threat in the third one.

The bottle switch in the fourth episode too. Predicted it when they started checking bottles. Then when Gura rocked loads of people I was waiting for it.

EmmyOk fucked around with this message at 15:37 on Jul 2, 2016

EmmyOk
Aug 11, 2013

Changyeop forgave Jungmoon :perfect:

EmmyOk
Aug 11, 2013

They would be the best couple in a world where Sangmin, Sunggyu, and the bond of musicianship didn't exist! On the burglar episode and hoping Gura is the burglar because was a great zombie, the flashforward has him facing off with Jinho though which is worrying :saddowns:

EmmyOk
Aug 11, 2013

Ahhh I hope you are not watching season one also! It's not as big a spoiler as it seems, I promise!

Indian Poker between Gura and Jinho is just about to start, fucccccccccccccccck

Gura refusing extra garnets is intense as hell but I have a feeling Jinho will win over all so I was hoping for this clash in the finale

46 to 9 chips, please win Gura but all these usually have a twist in the sudden death

I was waiting for counting the cards to come up :saddowns:

EmmyOk fucked around with this message at 21:47 on Aug 11, 2016

EmmyOk
Aug 11, 2013

This game seemed fairly straight forward though, other games were much trickier to follow. I'm still not entirely sure what happened in the zombie game when Sangmin was given a fake bottle or something. Rehearsals sound good though because sometimes you don't realise there's a gap in your knowledge of the rules until the game starts running. Gonna spoiler tag this next bit I have to respect Jinho for taking on the other strongest contender so he's my new champion. Without naming a name does another strong rival appear?.

EmmyOk
Aug 11, 2013

In the last few episodes it showed that there were much smarter people on the show. What I really liked about Gura and what I think set him above others in the beginning was how ruthless he was. Gura he realised that at the end of the day only one person wins. He also had great moments early on and his biggest failing seemed to be that people realised he was out for number one and stopped working with him. I've had my eye on Sunggyu as well ever since he was the one who suggested Gura swap antidote bottles with him.

e: Sunggyu is some kind of quantum moron because I have no idea if he's super sharp or thick as two short planks

EmmyOk fucked around with this message at 04:32 on Aug 12, 2016

EmmyOk
Aug 11, 2013

I was expecting someone to mark cards but Jinho's was much slicker than my idea to make a small divot with a fingernail.

EmmyOk
Aug 11, 2013

Yeah that's the one! I might have looked away during part of the summary and missed that.

EmmyOk
Aug 11, 2013

Max posted:

Haha, I remember that. They even pause and say "ok well we thought no one could possibly use that to win, but this person is crazy so there you go."

Awesome what season does that happen?

gently caress, Eunji!

EmmyOk
Aug 11, 2013

Corn Thongs posted:

Sunggyu is one of my favorite players of all time

He turned out to be what I was hoping, a pretty boy who is actually really sharp. When he won in the first episode I was hopeful but then it turned out to actually be Kyungran who convinced him to shaft Minseo. What I like so much about him is that his stupid moments are genuine and his sharp moments are really sharp rather than luck or bumbling. I keep expecting police to burst in and take him away after they find the remains of that idol "who almost took leader of Infinity from me" is found in Sunggyu's septic tank.

e: Is it true Gura and Sangmin have a TV show together? :kimchi:

EmmyOk
Aug 11, 2013

Sunggyu leaving was very sad, the female dealer must be devastated

The 5:5 Game is my favorite one so far, really relies on the the individual's ability to use what they have. Impressed by the the OR questions used. Surprised no once asked the guests what they'd been told.

EmmyOk
Aug 11, 2013

Yeah I was just about to say it was a great showcase for each of them. Kyungran asking double condition questions to force a 5:5 was impressive, Sangmin working solely off what he could see and verify was really sharp, then Jinho just blew them away with such a simple plan. Disgraceful he didn't get an Extreme Power overlay.

Glad Kyungran got though even though I prefer Sangmin, she was shafted by that girl giving the wrong birthday.

EmmyOk
Aug 11, 2013

Where is season 2 at?

EmmyOk
Aug 11, 2013

Ah thank you, my pal! Does anyone have an equivalent of this for Season 2?

I'm locked and loaded with my cheat sheet and all

e: Who exactly was Kyungrun's pal and was his KAIST thing impressive?

e2: I hope my sweet prince Jinho curbstomps this smug dildo

EmmyOk fucked around with this message at 23:51 on Aug 15, 2016

EmmyOk
Aug 11, 2013

I hate HweeJong so much already and really hope he loses quickly and shamefully, Hongchul is also quite annoying.

Sangmin truly was the snake get loving owned Hongchul

Oh my gently caress yes! Pictured: HweeJong the Lion

Yoonsun needs to win this so she's proven right about loyalty and Hweejong goes into a midlife crisis.

EmmyOk fucked around with this message at 01:04 on Aug 16, 2016

EmmyOk
Aug 11, 2013

I have revised my opinion on Hongchul after the second episode, I'll never be a huge fan of his but he's super interesting because he's so chaotic. He was the one going to the death match but it felt like he was in total control from the second he lost. Like presumably everyone I was hoping Jaekyung would become the next Sunggyu but having an avatar of chaos is pretty fun too. Lawyer Yoonsun is super impressive so far and has nerves of steel.

Max posted:

The other good one is the last small creature person just barely surviving because his partner in another room died seconds before him, so the predator in his room starves instead.

That was a great moment because it takes you a second or two to realise why she wasn't able to eat Jiwon. What's great about it is that Jiwon survived because YooYoung didn't want to be bored while she waited.

EmmyOk
Aug 11, 2013

Yeah it definitely seems that certain people are extremely good at certain type of matches, Kyungran and the Same Picture Hunt springs to mind. Gura definitely showed up short when it came down to the more technical games which surprised me but I think his biggest flaw was being too ambitious so early on and it turning out that Sangmin was smart enough and charismatic enough to have fluid alliances. I also love how much the show goes into characterisation because it makes you form attachments to the players much more easily and actually get caught up in the tension.

EmmyOk
Aug 11, 2013

Sunggyu was so charming we'd all be putty in his hands after a "nuna" or "hyung" never mind a "sunbae". I think his biggest downfall in the horserace was failing to realise early on that buying so many hints actually made him a huge target rather than putting him in command.

Can't believe Doohee betrayed Jinho at the start of the King Game, he seemed so nice :saddowns:

e: Ah lads it turns out that Doohee is just an absolute buachaill! I see what people mean about this being a much more treacherous season, so much backstabbing in this episode. I also agree with Sangmin's episode one assessment that this cast just seems far less warmhearted than last season's. Yoonsun is a goddamn lioness though.

e2: Glad to see a rule to stop endless turn swapping in Hap!Gyul! after the season one finale.

e3: I hope Jinho's team win blackout for many reasons not least of which is that I love the grandpa everyone disregards winning every round.

EmmyOk fucked around with this message at 03:34 on Aug 17, 2016

EmmyOk
Aug 11, 2013

Ah I didn't realise the start of The Blackout Game was a rehearsal and was wondering why they were flying through it, this hour flash forward doesn't look good for J-Squad :ohdear: I am glad I am not the only person who likes confused Grandpa! I have also done a 180 on Hongchul and thoroughly enjoy his dress sense and the fact that he's just having great craic no matter what's happening.

EmmyOk
Aug 11, 2013

Sangmin is so stressful to watch because right now I am hoping it's only a double-cross but with him it could easily be a classic Sangmin triple-cross

EmmyOk
Aug 11, 2013

I'm scared because Jinho's team won the game but there's 35 minutes left in the episode and the flashforward hasn't happened yet, p scared right about now tbh.

EmmyOk
Aug 11, 2013

Episode 4 which had Blackout as the main match. Teams had to cross the line in the dark and Jinho's team had an automatic victory after the first team got 0 points.

EmmyOk
Aug 11, 2013

Ok thank goodness but now I am worried one of my princes will die in episode six. However in this episode Yoonsun cemented herself as my favourite of the new season when she was being interviewed by the winners and hit them with "I won't grovel for you to save me"

EmmyOk
Aug 11, 2013

My list of good, interesting, or funny players

Jinho
Sangmin
Yoonsun
Doohee
Hongchul
Yohwan (very up and down)
Grandpa

I won't get to watch episode six until tomorrow so I will be living in fear until then!

EmmyOk
Aug 11, 2013

Ok just home from work so I'll watch 5 and 6 before bed!

e: @Execru, yeah Yohwan is the definition of the person who you're never quite sure if they're a prick or not.

e2: I posted in a probation thread so I'll post my reactions in the morning!

e3: Holy poo poo if Doohee built a backdoor into the messenger program I will never stop laughing

e4: The dealer telling Yohwan to take a photo and the text popping up "a discovery to rival columbus" lmao

EmmyOk fucked around with this message at 22:59 on Aug 17, 2016

EmmyOk
Aug 11, 2013

Just to be clear all the spoiler tagged stuff posted in the last page or so is Season 2 Episode 6 stuff that I can now read safely? Anyways on to my thoughts on the whole debacle. I felt so bad for Doohee this whole episode and it left a really bad taste in my mouth watching the other team pressuring him into betraying Yohwan and Jinho. I was so happy when he stuck it to the evil alliance but pretty devastated when it turned out he had been faked out by Sangmin and then got betrayed by Jiwon. The main game was really weak because an alliance of five people was simply too powerful considering the game. The whole episode just brought me down because Jiwon was such a cowardly prick and ruined things for Doohee, it didn't feel like a masterful move just a horrible one. In the end I think Doohee was too nice for the game but I went and googled him afterwards and apparently he and Jinho are still friends irl :kimchi: Here's a rundown of what I think of the remainder

Hongchul: I strongly disliked him in episode one when he just seemed like a sneaky guy but it became apparent throughout the season that the guy is like an adrenaline junkie or something. I love watching him because you know he'll always do something to shake up the contestants. Two of his defining moments for me were when Yoonsun was asking he and Jiwon what they'd give her to avoid being chosen for the Death Match and Jiwon offered five Garnets and Hongchul offered "death". The other was in the infamous episode when it looked like he and Yooyoung were going to the Death Match and she was raging and he was vibing about how "fresh" it was.

Jiwon: Coward and moron and needs to be crushed by Jinho

Yooyoung: Seems fairly sharp but also kind of a bitch? Needs some Jinho Justice

Grandpa: It's really funny seeing him get through every round with ease because no one sees him as a threat. Definitely thinks he's actually smart (i.e. good at these games) but 100% isn't and it's like dude the other guys have not underestimated you they have estimated you perfectly.

Yohwan: I think he's actually pretty shy and seems to be under a lot of pressure probably because a progamer he is famous for beating won last season, definitely seems like the producers are prompting him to needle Jinho. Hasn't shown himself to be that strong yet but I think it's because he has been ganged up on a lot before he good really get to grips with things.

Sangmin: If Sangmin wasn't an absolute buachaill I would definitely hate him. So many times he has hosed over people I liked a lot or done something very sly but he's quite charismatic so it's hard to actually dislike him. Whenever he is warning people about Jinho I want to yell at them "look at who is talking for Christ's sake!". His drawing the Snake in Round 1 was the best thing. Whatever about the other two I mentioned, it's hard to put in words how badly I want or even need Jinho to totally dominate him in a Main Match or Death Match. He was joking around saying it to Jinho but given how he has set out to turn everyone against Jinho I strongly suspect he legitimately fears a Death Match or final with Jinho.

Jinho: The best boy obviously :allears: I didn't like his betrayal in the first episode and rolled my eyes at his apology. Since then though he doesn't betray anyone and is the only person who always helps in Death Matches like he promised he would. He's also probably one of the least sneaky candidates and mainly relies on beating the game rather than tricking people. It definitely seems like he won't win again because everyone else is too wary of him which sucks, my main fear is that he goes to a Death Match where the saved players can influence the Death Match like in Sun Moon Star.

God I wrote so much

EmmyOk
Aug 11, 2013

I will start spoilering my Season Two reactions for the benefit of my hombre who is working through Season One at the moment! With respect to the immortality token I totally agree with Max. Considering the token came with both a real and fake copy it's clear that what Sangmin did was intended to be done it's just a shame that he did it when he did. Also nothing Sangmin does ever really comes across as spiteful or nasty whereas the Doohee incident like most people said was bullying pure and simple.

I didn't dislike Eunkyul but for the most part he just kind of seemed to be there until his big moment. Of course sweet bouy Jinho kept his promise and did all he could to help Eunkyul. Also if anyone can confirm/deny Doohee/Jinho pals for life let me know.

I will always be a sweet summer child when it comes to believing in Jinho :saddowns: He is looking noticeably slimmer this season and I just started watching the Season 1 BTS and he was slagged for being chubby! How famouse are pro-Starcraft Players in Korea? Was he famous?

For the guy watching from Season 1 and struggling with the names then this is all you need. I still mixed up Changyeop/Sunggyu and Yuram/Jungmoon a lot though. Also Sunggyu is a prince and there is nothing more beautiful than the bond of musicianship, that's all you need to know for the first season.

The Season 2 one is here also when you need it

EmmyOk
Aug 11, 2013

I was going to ask what Korean shows to watch next because I was hoping there were more kind of thoughtful puzzle based gameshows! Is it allso Bumpy subbed? Glad to hear that my main babes are all pals after the show! As always the thing that impresses me most about Jinho is sticking to his promises and beating the games by thinking about the rules carefully as oppossed to craftiness and being a slippery snake. He and Sangmin really are the polar opposite competitors.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

EmmyOk
Aug 11, 2013

Ah I like to watch things through and I don't mind watching some teething episodes to get to the good stuff. Also I meant to say that the ID reaction image is incredible and the Yohwan and Kyungran ones are so perfect it hurts.