Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

CeeJee
Dec 4, 2001
Oven Wrangler
Wow, they did not hold back for season two, the Food Chain game was quite complex with all the animal specific rules and winning conditions. The group looks great too and I really need to start watching Infinite Challenge, Hongchul is amazing. One minute in I already loved the guy.

I enjoyed the elimination game quite a bit more then the main game. In the main game I was caught by suprise on some of the events as much as the players were like how the lion had to eat every turn but the crocodile didn't and what the mandatory areas were. I was not quite sure what happened in the last round with Jinwon and the girl, did he just keep talking until the time was up and she forgot to actually attack him ?

The elimination match was a lot of fun, it's greatest when the deathmatch involves the other players instead of a one-on-one like Indian Poker.

It was also a wonderful Princess Bride 'I'm left-handed too!' moment where they revealed Hweejong's team was giving signals as well. As much as I want it to be Yoonsun's more cooperative attitude that won her the victory I think it was mostly luck in having a 10 card in her first four and the crucial winning card being with one of her team members.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

CeeJee
Dec 4, 2001
Oven Wrangler
Oh man, that ep 2 preview looks bonkers.

They sit on chairs in a circle, everyone has a number 1 to 11 and 1 person has an X. Every round they can exchange seats by mutual agreement and at the end a chain of exactly 5 consecutive numbers (9-10-11-1-2 is valid) sitting next to each other must be made with the X breaking any sequence. If not, all numbers go up 1 with 11 becoming X and X becoming 1. The chain of 5 that is eventually made all win with the person in the middle getting 10 bonus garnets and the hint. The person with the X when the chain of 5 is made loses. Numbers are secret and only the length of the longest series is revealed every round so information is minimal but should just be enough for a really smart player keeping track.

Best part: they keep going until a chain of exactly 5 is made and from the snippets in the preview it's going to be a LONG day.

CeeJee
Dec 4, 2001
Oven Wrangler

Cityinthesea posted:

Uh, am I seeing things or does Jiwon's shirt say fuckin pumpkin?

With his strategically placed name tag it could also be Eucking Pumpkin.

The end was sad, with everyone choosing to enrich themselves but losing Honchul so early would have been even more sad. I wonder how he will hold up the promises he made if it comes down to it later on. Behind all the jolly smiles he's quite determined. Jinho continues being the person who sees the obvious way to win the rest misses.

I hope to see more of the Yoonsun and Dohee (the lawyer and the hacker) power couple, they seem to have the most mutual trust.

CeeJee
Dec 4, 2001
Oven Wrangler
It was funny how in season one Jinho was completely stumped by the Kong game which had no room for exploiting cleverness in finding flaws in the game. It was pure game theory on how much to cooperate and betray. By contrast, Sunggyun played it magnicifently, stealing first place by backstabbing his teammates Kyungran and Eunji, not giving either of them the life token and then helping Eunji to win the deathmatch so he could claim half her now sizable pile of garnets at the start of the next game. The way they were the first two to arrive in the studio was kind of manipulative by the show producers, it always seems the two or three players who spend some time alone before everyone else arrives are exactly the ones with things to work out.

CeeJee
Dec 4, 2001
Oven Wrangler
The famous people on this show seem to do better then the ones who are smartest on paper. There is a part that plays where they are better at influencing people but like this week in the deathmatch that was a visual pattern recognition game a professional Go player was beaten by a sports presenter (who is adorable https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=z5OlNQYPU9E ) where you'd expect Dayhe to be much better at both the game and playing it under pressure.

CeeJee
Dec 4, 2001
Oven Wrangler

Femur posted:

Honestly, I thought it was cheating because wasn't one of the rules no requests to the guests? I am obviously wrong since he won, but I definitely thought that wasn't an option. I guess it's not a request if you just do it?

There was a rule 'you should not listen to any requests from the players' which I think meant something they should not do things like 'vote X every round' or 'don't talk to Sangmin'. With Jinho's talent for bending the rules I'm suprised he never asked the question how many people voted X in the previous round after getting a 5/5.

CeeJee
Dec 4, 2001
Oven Wrangler
That was a wonderful way to finish, the worst player getting :commisar: by the best. Eunkyul was really not doing anything of use in the show, just lurking in the background with his shades and trying to tower over people to pressure them. For someone who is a stage magician I really expected him to have more of a presence.

If The Good Wife ever gets remade in Korea they would have an excellent lead in Yoonsun, she's fierce and really sharp.

CeeJee
Dec 4, 2001
Oven Wrangler

Wizardryo posted:

(S1 spoilers below)

Agreed. I loved Jinho's outside-the-box strategies but thought that Kyungran played as perfect a game as she was able to and only really got screwed because of Jinho's allies during hap/gyul and that Yooram wasn't there to help out.

Jinho did get a crucial win in round 8 when Kyungran kept looking for a hap while there were none at all. Jinho saw that there was only one blue figure and that one could not be linked to any other two. Had it been 31-25 going into round 9 I'm sure Kyungran would have won it.

The main flaw I found in the finals was the unequal nature of the bonus items. Some were purely benificial while others like the doubler would also double penalties and the wins for your opponent.

CeeJee
Dec 4, 2001
Oven Wrangler
Poor Yoonsun, she worked very hard but could not do anything once the other block that had decided they were going to make her the elimination candidate. And once again Sangmin gets basically a free pass with the '0 chips = 50 chips' bill that all but ensures you are not the elimination candidate and gives you avery good chance of being the outright winner. The game had a lot of great moments but like the first episode giving everyone a randomly determined and different set of game rules gives it a luck factor it should not have.

Loved Jinho and Dohee messing up the set to hide the safe a little more. When it's opened I really hope it contains just another clue. Or maybe someone will use the power tools so clearly hanging on the wall to break it open before the combination is found.

CeeJee
Dec 4, 2001
Oven Wrangler
The ID thing felt really contrived. I have no idea what the role of the ID cards was supposed to be in the game and why sometimes the ID cards were given facedown to the dealer and revealed to a camera positioned to peek at them. The idea seems to have been that when player X was thinking he/she trading with Y it was in fact Z who gave Y their ID to use but there was no set rule that ID cards were supposed to be face up or down.

In the end a player got totally screwed and put into a powerless position and no matter how much it was his own fault it made the game less fun. Making the deathmatch a game of who was liked most and no personal skill just added insult to injury.

CeeJee
Dec 4, 2001
Oven Wrangler
The show is still fun as hell, I just hope the subber stays on even if the other Starcraft celeb goes out as well.

Also, anyone recognize the guitar tune that plays when the other elimination candidate is chosen ? It sounds a lot like Rodrigo & Gabriela but I don't recognize the song.

CeeJee
Dec 4, 2001
Oven Wrangler
Some games give the ones having a lot of garnets a huge advantage like last season's Expression Auction where you could buy a bid higher then anyone could have and now this one.

And now Sangmin, the one man Garnet Chaebol even got the special dice he bought refunded after he won with those same dice. From what I saw it was not possible to make a 100% winning set without buying two special dice so anyone not having 10 garnets is screwed and most will probably lose the 5 they spent on one.

Not that Sangmin is a not loving champ, he was the one to figure out first the dice could be taken apart and earns massive credit by choosing grandpa Junghuyn for immunity. It's just that the garnet imbalance makes it ever more unlikely for Sangmin to be taken to an elimination match, the normal threat to people with tons of garnets. He'll go into round 8 with 35 garnets, more then 3 times the rest combined and the immortality token.

CeeJee
Dec 4, 2001
Oven Wrangler
Yunghyun for President. It's not even completely impossible, the current president of South Korea is his aunt or something.

CeeJee
Dec 4, 2001
Oven Wrangler

JakeP posted:

How does such a thing even exist?

The whole set is from some bizarro world like all the fake books in the season 1 library. Some titles:

-The Dharma Bums
-KITCHEN UTENSILS
-Nude Design
-Michael Crichton (the title, not the writer)
-Ad Flash
-The Annals Of America, written by Aliphatic Polyether

CeeJee
Dec 4, 2001
Oven Wrangler
Sangmin knows perfectly well Junghyun is dangerous, in an interview very early in the season he named him, Jinho and Yooyung as the greatest threats.

http://bxrme.tumblr.com/post/71121384893/sangmin-interview-about-the-genius

CeeJee
Dec 4, 2001
Oven Wrangler

Tonfa posted:

Jinho and Sangmin showed that they're on another level again. :laffo: at the goons who are still complaining about Sangmin getting "carried". Guess why that happens? Because he's a level above anyone else at the social game. This has never been a show about nerds solving puzzles alone, there's plenty of those on twitch.tv if that's what you're after.

I hope he destroys Yohwan in the finals but I have a terrible feeling :ohdear:

Sangmin knows better then anyone that first you need to work together not to be the elimination candidate and then betray the others to be the winner. Yohwan goes for betrayal immediately and Yunghun is just too nice a guy to put the knife in the back of the others. But since Sangmin has never won a deathmatch there is a good chance Yohwan will take it unless the match is really decided completely by the other people coming back as team members.

CeeJee
Dec 4, 2001
Oven Wrangler
I'm so happy this is back. That wonderful opening koreankoreankoreanFIFTEEN !!! Music, editing, pacing and use of quick flashes forward are still top notch and it looks like a solid group of players without too much cliques already in place.

Juri should have picked Hweejong who would have had a nervous breakdown for being in another first round deathmatch. And I would have hated to see him go, he's not at all like he was in season 2 and it was great when he said too much and went 'I should have said nothing but I'm a teacher and telling people stuff I know is just what I do'.

It's interesting how the first deathmatch was a pure one on one contest of skill and not a team building contest like the other seasons. I hope they do keep participation of the other players in the game, it's just that much more interesting as people have to avoid being a dick to make sure they can have some help in the deathmatch.

Once people start accumulating black garnets it could get interesting, possibly even people making sure a player with three garnets does not lose if that puts them in danger of being picked for the deathmatch instead. The value of a black garnet is quite difficult to estimate so early on. It's very well possible no one ever gets even more then one as they leave the game with eliminated players.

CeeJee
Dec 4, 2001
Oven Wrangler

Tonfa posted:

I'm still so disappointed that the dealer ended up showing no mathematical ability.

The TV presenter girls have always done very well under pressure in a deathmatch against opponents not as used to being the focus of the entire show.

CeeJee
Dec 4, 2001
Oven Wrangler

Lugaloco posted:

Extreme Ways is NOTHING without several repeated reaction shots from various different angles with slo mo and a saturated camera filter. You gotta go all out or go home :colbert:

PYF Extreme Ways moment:

"I should have backstabbed as well"
"How Could You !!!"
:smug:

CeeJee
Dec 4, 2001
Oven Wrangler
All the players in the losing team giving their garnets to Sujin to prevent them from being removed from the game was a great move. If they keep doing this the end prize will be much higher at the end and the risk of anyone not returning them is minimal.

CeeJee
Dec 4, 2001
Oven Wrangler
There simply has to be a Dongmin - Ahyoung deathmatch which turns into a comedy as they both try to let the other win.

CeeJee
Dec 4, 2001
Oven Wrangler
As much as Dongmin owns (like how he chose 50 in the final round to protect Ahyoung and Sujin's 49 choices in case it all went horribly wrong, what a champ) it was good the Doc stood up to him. His promise to help during the deathmatch was totally sincere but as it turned out the game did not allow for any help from the other players. Getting some garnets is nice but if that just sets Dongmin on a certain path to the finals those garnets go back to him anyway. Season 2 would have been a lot better if people had said no to Sangmin when he offered to help them which just meant he would eliminate them later rather then sooner.

Mining game was absolutely amazing. The way the tension built up to that final moment made it seem scripted, it just could not have been better TV.

edit: With the elimination of the garnets held by the deathmatch loser I wonder just how much will be left for the winner, I think it will be less then 50.

CeeJee fucked around with this message at 09:54 on Nov 5, 2014

CeeJee
Dec 4, 2001
Oven Wrangler

Fast Luck posted:

I loved it when she went into that hysterical laughing fit that people all across the Genius house could hear.

And again ! With dealer nuna :allears:

CeeJee
Dec 4, 2001
Oven Wrangler
People should not be so suprised at Hyungmin and Dongmin total domination if they all keep doing what they are suggesting. Their manipulation of timing who went to trade when was masterful. With them taking the time slots before and after price changes they basically could not lose. The rest was so busy with their stock price info they missed how useless that info was if all the good stock is already sold.
'Curses, I'm again unable to do anything with my information. drat you cruel fates !!! Oh hyung, you want me to go first one minute before price changes ? Sure, you're too kind'

Next week will be the last time the Dongmin-Hyungmin-Ahyoung bloc is outnumbered, if they keep just being nice it's all over for them. I had hoped this would be more like the season 1 horse race where Eunji messed everything up with a sneaky lie on the info she got but everyone is now sharing their info like it's mandatory.

Everything Ahyoung does is still amazing. Of course she was the one in the trading room when all the stock prices crashed and her genuine shock at the end that someone else managed to be worse at trading stocks.

CeeJee
Dec 4, 2001
Oven Wrangler
Season 1 and part of 2 are on Youtube with Vietnamese subtitles if you want a challenge.

CeeJee
Dec 4, 2001
Oven Wrangler
The memory game was made even more difficult by the long time between when the 30 seconds were up and the moment the first card had to be named. They should have done it on a screen with the first random card appearing immediately after the 30 seconds were up. I was really rooting for Jongbeom to make it and send Dongmin to the deathmatch. Followed by the reveal Dongmin had swindled a third black garnet somehow to do his own black mission.

I can't wait to see what Ahyoung will be so smug about. But looking at how good the editors have been at showing stuff without context to generate a false impression it may be nothing. More then once they showed a 'in two hours' of players crying in what looked like defeat but it turned out to be them winning and feeling bad about it.

CeeJee
Dec 4, 2001
Oven Wrangler
So that was a simple shogi variant, a game which goes all the way up to https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Taikyoku_shogi

quote:

Each player has a set of 402 wedge-shaped pieces of 209 types. The players must remember 253 sets of moves.

:stare:

CeeJee
Dec 4, 2001
Oven Wrangler

b0lt posted:

He wouldn't have realized what was going on.

Also there would never be a situation where 5 people decided he was one of the two who had to lose no matter what.

CeeJee
Dec 4, 2001
Oven Wrangler
I watched this way too late but Dongmin's plan seemed to be:
-Come last and become elimination candidate
-Pick Yeonsong for the deathmatch
-Do a Black Mission and win
-Pick Yoohyun to replace him

Given how hard the black missions are I'd let him do this if I were Yeonsong and Yoohyun. He would most likely fail the black mission and go into the DM with that failure on his shoulders.

Too bad Ahyoung is out, she was not the greatest player but was always having fun and made the show more fun.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bjNPDHVi3gM

CeeJee
Dec 4, 2001
Oven Wrangler
BTS video, Jinho playing some monorail: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aoA9SsD51no

and gets crushed by Hyunmin

CeeJee
Dec 4, 2001
Oven Wrangler

qbert posted:

Did anyone else notice they used music from The Knick in this episode?

It's just cool to me that some Korean person who works on The Genius not only watches a medical drama set in early 1900s New York, but they also recognized how loving awesome that soundtrack was.

I was hoping The Knick would be on AXN Korea and have a trailer like the Hannibal one where it becomes a romantic comedy with K-pop under it but alas.

CeeJee
Dec 4, 2001
Oven Wrangler
I found it interesting how Sujin considered herself, a successful businesswoman, and Dongmin the celebrity ordinary people and the underdogs against a 20-year old KAIST student. Is education and IQ score such a big thing in Korea that it trumps age and any life accomplishments ?

CeeJee
Dec 4, 2001
Oven Wrangler
Some quotes seemed to be edited into a a different time then said like Lawyer Kang going 'he will try to win this one' about Dongmin after he lost the first game of a best-of-three match. He's not the greatest Genius but come on.

CeeJee
Dec 4, 2001
Oven Wrangler
That Youtube playlist is a godsend, there is too much talking going on for Shazaam anytime something good is played. Which is all the time. Whoever picks music for The Genius is, well, a genius. And it's all so random from well known artists to obscure German funk producers, game, TV and movie soundtracks.

In episode 1 I had hoped someone would drop two ID cards 'by accident' during a trade so neither one knew which card they now had. Or some Jinho shenanigans by slightly marking cards with a pen although they probably were told not to do anything to the cards.

CeeJee
Dec 4, 2001
Oven Wrangler
That's zero for two in deathmatches for Sangmin isn't it ? Weird how he can dominate so much main games and be the worst at deathmatching, even this one where reading the other player is key. Although I think there is a little imp in Kyunghoon's head who flips a coin and makes him act on the result. He is genuinely impossible to read and Sangmin really should have chosen a different opponent.

Junseok was a true hero this game by sinking them both to save Jungmoon.

CeeJee
Dec 4, 2001
Oven Wrangler

Doctor Reynolds posted:

I'm pretty sure the impressive thing is the lack of the Korean accent. drat! That's very hard to do.

Singing without an accent means very little, just listen to an interview with Sharleen Spiteri.

CeeJee
Dec 4, 2001
Oven Wrangler
When rewatching the DUN-DUN-DUNNNN reveal before the last hand of RPS I noticed they synched the first beats of the Fury Road track with Sangmin putting down his chips.

CeeJee
Dec 4, 2001
Oven Wrangler
The real winner here was Bandage Man as not a single garnet was won by anyone due to their $1 games

CeeJee
Dec 4, 2001
Oven Wrangler
Part 2 is hosed on Dailymotion :argh:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

CeeJee
Dec 4, 2001
Oven Wrangler

Fast Luck posted:

Jungmoon could have denied being a rebel. Could have said, "Why would a rebel give you 100 digits of pi?" Could have said, "Of course I wanted to be the last king, I'm the most clear loyalist we've got! What the hell?!?!" But instead she folded. Dongmin was really drat good at picking out the rebels though. When he correctly names them all to her, she cracked... but they really only knew Yoohyun and he successfully raised one of the rows to 99 on his way out (too bad for him they were all still single digits on his turn). Yoohyun blew up his own spot by writing nonsense into his notes and getting caught at it, and people picked up on Kyungran's behavior - but she still nearly swayed them with her denials.

Jungmoon cannot lie, it sunk her in season 1 Zombie game as well. It just makes her more adorable :swoon: