Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us $3,400 per month for bandwidth bills alone, and since we don't believe in shoving popup ads to our registered users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
«5 »
qbert
Oct 23, 2003

It's both thrilling and terrifying.

EL BROMANCE posted:

Does 2x01 reveal the winner or any spoilers for s1? If not, I might watch the new eps as they air as well rather than catch up in a week or two.

Yes it does, so you should really finish S1 if you don't want to be spoiled.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

qbert
Oct 23, 2003

That 2nd episode was complicated as hell. I noticed that Jinho conveniently revealed the reversed straight plan when he happened to be the one in the middle receiving the 10 garnets. Nice.

Josh Lyman posted:

Unfortunate that we lost a pretty face so early, but she was bound to get knocked out soon anyway. I didn't like that the surviving players could basically decide who won the death match, while I've always though of the death match as an opportunity to save yourself, separate from the main match.

Pretty much the #1 rule of every Death Match on The Genius is that it always depends on how much the other contestants like you. You can pretty much guarantee yourself a spot in the finale if you always ally with the largest group and are willing to sacrifice yourself for the team when they ask you to.

qbert
Oct 23, 2003

Am I crazy or has The Genius' age rating increased from 12 to 15 for this season.

Looks like someone needs a swear jar.

qbert
Oct 23, 2003

The main match of this week's ep wasn't too great, but I'm really happy with who got eliminated. All that back-stabbing just to get rid of Jiwon for no reason? Dude is like one of the least threatening players there. I'm glad everyone rallied around him as he felt like a deer caught in headlights most of the episode, and his last two bets in the death match were really clever.

Next week will be really good.

qbert
Oct 23, 2003

Knives and Hot Dust posted:

What's with the hate on Jiwon?

I don't get this either. People hate him because he's bad at the game I guess? Dude is actually a pretty funny/entertaining/nice guy on other variety shows and I knew Hongchul would have his back in the end because they've been really close friends for years and he probably resented being forced to payback the spy with eliminating his good friend for no reason.

qbert
Oct 23, 2003

doomisland posted:

I don't agree at all. If they had some moral objections then they could have refused his help but they didn't. If Eun Kyul wanted to target 3 people because they're all friends which can be become an issue later then he can do that if he wants.

But didn't Eunkyul not reveal his "price" until after the game was over? Maybe they would have refused his help if they had known what he wanted beforehand, but they were never given that option.

qbert
Oct 23, 2003

Enjoyed the episode, and I agree that the complexity of the main match made it very hard to come up with a sure-fire strategy. Jinho figuring out INFINITE GEMS was still awesome though, if he had just thought of it 20 minutes earlier, there was a good chance they could've pulled it off.

Regarding the Death Match, at first I felt it really unfair that Yoonsun picked Yohwan, when he literally threw away everything to back her strategy. But thinking about it more, her decision made sense. She had no idea if the rest of the group would be allowed to influence the Death Match, and if she had picked anyone on the "majority team", that person would've gotten most of the help, so she had to pick someone from her own alliance to give her the fairest chance of winning. Still glad Yohwan won, though.

Edit: Also regarding the Death Match, if Yoonsun had spent one turn earlier turning the square reflector to face back at her own laser, I'm pretty sure there would've been no way for either player to win and the game actually could've been a stalemate. I wonder what the contingency would've been at that point.

qbert fucked around with this message at Jan 10, 2014 around 23:17

qbert
Oct 23, 2003

Okay so I broke down and found spoilers for Ep 6. It does sound like there could be some backlash after this one.

I'll try and keep the spoilers vague. The person eliminated this week pretty much gets screwed over in a way that will make a bunch of the other contestants look pretty bad. All part of "the game" I guess, but this one sounds especially brutal. The fact that said contestant breaks down in tears multiple times on camera isn't going to help matters.

qbert
Oct 23, 2003

Ep 6 was really fun for the first half, then got rough as hell in the 2nd. At this point it seems impossible, but I want so badly for Jinho to make a comeback and win the whole season again. Dude is just a great player, and a stand-up guy. Sadly that makes him the biggest target, but he's really the only one left in the game I'm rooting for. Maybe the producers will recognize that an incredibly lopsided alliance has now formed and at the very least will limit the amount of group interaction in upcoming Death Matches, to at least give either of the SC players left a tiny chance of staying on.

qbert
Oct 23, 2003

Regarding the main match basically Dohee was going to lose whether or not Yohwan traded the alliance his bomb. They showed Jiwon using Dohee's ID for a trade, meaning he had access to Dohee's cards, meaning worst case scenario, the alliance gives Dohee two bombs via trade and he ends up automatically death matched when the game ends.

Basically keeping his card meant guaranteeing he gets eliminated this week no matter what, so I don't believe anyone had any intention of giving it back to him.

qbert
Oct 23, 2003

Zythrst posted:

Strategy- There is litterly 100% no way that Jinho can fold there. Its a total freeroll and he can't just give up 7% of chips to fold against a possible tie. It was also the proper move by Jiwon given his abilities vs Jinho's. It was the dumb let it ride rule that was hosed up and only that.

I agree. Both players made the right move there and just like the theme of the week, it all came down to luck.

I really hope this doesn't mean there will be no more "Eureka!" moments on the show. It would be kind of sad if the rest of the main matches all had some clever trick designed into them, but no one figured it out each week and the producers are left shaking their heads in frustration.

qbert
Oct 23, 2003

Tonfa posted:

Uh, Sangmin was the one who figured out the main match this week and has won 5 out of 7 main matches. Jinho's a genius but let's give some credit here.

I'll give Sangmin credit for figuring out the main match this week, but I wasn't talking about winning main matches. You can win every match through enough alliances and social interactions. I'm talking about things like INFINITE GEMS and REVERSE STRAIGHT that make me think "Oh wow, that was a clever way of winning the game."

qbert
Oct 23, 2003

I think the easiest and fairest way to "fix" the Death Match this week would be to Show both contestants the actual positions of the pieces for about 30 seconds before starting, and then only after they've all been flipped back to letters, reveal the starting blocks you actually have to find. Then it becomes an actual memorization game.

qbert
Oct 23, 2003

I didn't realize until this episode just how easily you could card count in this death match. They don't seem to shuffle at all after the initial one and just move onto another pack. I wish one of the guys had been more observant and used that to his advantage. At the very least you can know with complete certainty what card you have on the last hand before a new pack.

I miss Jinho

qbert
Oct 23, 2003

Shakugan posted:

She needs to stop using DailyMotion anyway, since it's so terrible (particularly in how it doesn't really buffer much, and constantly changes quality even if you manually set it to something instead of auto, and so what little is buffered is often lost when the quality changes). Very painful with a variable speed connection (i.e. college students who share an internet connection with everyone in their building that changes speed dramatically as people get on and off the network).

I always use a program to download the 720p version off of the Dailymotion links she puts up, which solves all these issues.

qbert
Oct 23, 2003

Has not been tweeted yet but I just checked the Tumblr and Ep 12 is up!

qbert
Oct 23, 2003

Someone already nailed it on the head last page. Just keep asking "What number is not your password?" over and over.

qbert
Oct 23, 2003

Shakugan posted:

I'm terribly sorry that I'm not willing to spend hours going through news sites in a language I don't understand in order to find a news article from moths ago.

I think the point is that people in this thread are pretty big fans of the show and you're the first person to mention Hong Chul creating this alliance off-screen, before the show even started, and you're unwilling or unable to provide a source to back it up.

Sorry if no one believes your claims.

qbert
Oct 23, 2003

Rarity posted:

Henry is like Hongchul, he knows that he's aware it's a TV show as well as a game so he's playing up to the cameras to keep people entertained. He's not just being facetious for no reason

Unlike Hongchul though, I don't enjoy anything he's doing on the show and just find him incredibly annoying. I liked him better on Celebrity MasterChef when he actually tried to win.

qbert
Oct 23, 2003

I'm just happy that finally the audience didn't vote for the correct culprit and the cast members did.

qbert
Oct 23, 2003

Yeah the one episode format works so much better. Eliminated most of the fat and we just get a solid 90 minutes of twists and revelations.

It's pretty clear at this point that Ji-Yoon and Jin-Ho are the deductive stars of the game. If I were on the show, I'd just side with whoever they picked, which is why this one ended up being so tense.

qbert
Oct 23, 2003

I think it's also the fact that the cast (and audience) keep thinking they're re-enacting a fictional murder mystery where a last minute twist is the norm, and obvious red herrings can never be trusted. In fact, every mystery is based on a real-life case, meaning when all the evidence points at someone, it's because they're guilty.

qbert
Oct 23, 2003

What's great is that Hyunmoo is especially chatty during the CCTV segment, directing attention to who's walking where at what times. The ACTUAL key piece of evidence in the footage is that the victim is shown multiple times not wearing a watch. If anyone had noticed that, it probably would have led to an early solve.

qbert
Oct 23, 2003

NowonSA posted:

I just hope that The Genius S3 has as much random English as Crime Scene has had. I don't know why, but I really enjoy it when they bust out into spontaneous English.

It's mostly just Yoon-Ji because she grew up in California and went to UCLA. I think English is actually her primary language.

qbert
Oct 23, 2003

Cute n Popular posted:

If the prize pool per episode was roughly $500 USD, I wonder if that's similar to the value of the gold prizes on Running Man as well?

The not so big secret to all of these variety type shows is that the weekly prize means nothing, and is worth nothing. The Genius is the exception, as they're pretty upfront about that being the ultimate prize for a competition show.

But shows like Crime Scene and Running Man just pay the cast an episode fee like any actor/host of a tv show would make. The prizes are just for show, and I doubt any of the Running Man "gold" is worth more than $20.

qbert
Oct 23, 2003

I binged the first 3 episodes of Abnormal Summit yesterday and I'm really enjoying it. It's essentially a talk show but it's also one of the funnier ones I've seen in a while, and listening to different cultural points of view on a topic is pretty interesting.

Also surprised how quickly I memorized a 14-person cast, although it really helps when you can just call people by their country name.

qbert
Oct 23, 2003

Really excited for Season 3. The show actually sustained quite a bit of controversy over the course of the 2nd season. I'm interested to see whether the new contestants are more self-conscious of their images, and if this affects the level of betrayals/alliances/deals throughout the season. Some of the people from S2 probably hurt their careers from being on the show.

qbert
Oct 23, 2003

Douwe posted:

Also he is responsible for the shows visuals? wtf?

I'm not positive, but I think that's like Korean slang for being good looking? Like when they say a member of an idol group is responsible for the "visuals" in the group, it means they're the best looking member.

In this case, I wonder if the profile is being ironic.

qbert
Oct 23, 2003

IT'S UP!!!

qbert
Oct 23, 2003

Shakugan posted:

In general I don't really like the main matches that rely on betrayals and what not for their surprises. Team based matches in general kind of suck, the best games have been ones where individuals can compete and come up with cool strategies.

I would say 90% of The Genius had been social interactions and betrayals/teamwork. Individual missions that require only pure skill would get boring, honestly.

qbert
Oct 23, 2003

Running With Spoons posted:

If a secret alliance of 3 had been formed with all 6 fruits with the strategy to offer 2 first round and then 1 each and every other round, sure "they" would've won.
However, only 2 people of that alliance would've been safe, the 3rd one was almost 100% going to the death match with the loser.

I thought that if multiple people tied for first place, they all would have received a token of immunity?

qbert
Oct 23, 2003

Nevermind, realized I was wrong.

qbert
Oct 23, 2003

Running With Spoons posted:

It's impossible to make all 3 have the exact same amount, it depends on if the other players choose 1 or not.

One player has 2 4-person fruits, the other two players have 1 5-person fruit and 1 4-person fruit. Round 1, the player with 2 4-person fruits bids $3 each. He ends up with $24. The other two bid $4 on their 5-person fruits, and $1 on their 4-person fruit. They both end up with $24 each.

For rounds 2, 3, 4, everyone bids $1. Boom, all 3 end up in 1st place.

If one person in the 3-person alliance has both 5-person fruits, he/she will bid $2 and $2 instead in round 1, while the others bid $3 and $2.

Of course, this plan only works if they can deceive everyone else for Round 1 and get the others to all bid $5 like what happened on the show.

qbert
Oct 23, 2003

Shakugan posted:

Got to say I thought it odd that he betrayed for no reason a girl he clearly had a crush on, and then ended up giving her the extra garnet his irrational betrayal "won" him anyway.

He never meant to gently caress her over in the first ep, he's just ultra terrible at the game. He figured he would take the win and give her the other immunity token, but he sucked at math. He even gave her a garnet this week for no reason as an apology.

I'm not particularly sad to see him go, though. He really sucks at these games and begging everyone around you seems like the worst strategy for success.

qbert
Oct 23, 2003

I know it's all part of the competition but I'm starting to dislike Hyunmin. Maybe because his strategy every episode doesn't seem to be to actually win, but to create a scenario where another person is specifically targeted to lose. It seems like every game, he'll immediately insulate himself with the group of players that can't lose if they work together, and then arbitrarily decide who they should make last to ensure their own safety. Like in this episode, it seemed like last place would just be whoever got targeted for the Gravity effect and Hyunmun just decided it should be that guy.

I think even in the first ep he had planned who would get picked for the deathmatch before Yongsuk helped out the other group at the end and ruined his plans.

qbert
Oct 23, 2003

I am 100% on board with Dongmin winning this season. Incredibly smart, clever, super loyal to his teammates...you'd be stupid to not make an alliance with him immediately.

The finale needs to be him vs Hyunmin, with him winning in the ultimate triumph of good over evil.

qbert
Oct 23, 2003

Argue posted:

I was so sure that they would reveal that Hyunmin wagered some ridiculously high amount, like 1000000, but I guess it would have made the strategy obvious too soon.

Also the part where the rules explicitly stated 50 was the maximum wager.

qbert
Oct 23, 2003

I kind of see the comparison between Dongmin and Sangmin, but Sangmin definitely had that reputation of surprise betrayals. That was kind of his thing. Dongmin, on the other hand, seems to be completely against betraying anyone he agrees to ally with. He definitely set the tone in last week's episode when he told the winning team straight-up that he wasn't going to accept or offer any deal to avoid going into the Death Match.

qbert
Oct 23, 2003

I liked the episode for the Black Mission and the Deathmatch, which I thought were really good, and the drama of the main match, even though I agree that episodes where a majority can just guarantee a win isn't as interesting.

My imperfect method for doing the Black Mission, which worked as I watched the episode in real time, was memorize the first letter of each location in order. It's easier to associate a letter with its respective place if it's unique, like "H" for Hardware Store. Then all you would have to do is memorize the order of the repeating letters, like S. Imperfect, but for 12 places in 30 seconds, it worked for me.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

qbert
Oct 23, 2003

Xoidanor posted:

Do you just have crazy good short-term memory or something? Memorising that many factors in plain form without using memorisation techniques is Mensa levels of memorising. The average person only manages a sequence of 7 factors at most.

I agree it would be hard to memorize 12 random sequence of letters in your head at a time, so I just broke them up onto 3 groups of 4 letters and kept repeating them over and over. It seems like it would be totally doable for the average person. 'I' for Intersection, 'V' for Village Hall, 'P' for Police Station, etc. are not difficult generic town places to associate with their respective letters. It would have been a lot harder if many places started with the same letter, but only 2 places started with 'S' and the rest were completely unique.

Then when they shuffle the cards and display them in random order, you just run through the list in your head until you get to that number, and pull the letter (and then the place) from there.

«5 »