Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

qbert
Oct 23, 2003

It's both thrilling and terrifying.

Davincie posted:

yeah okay but as said thats exactly what he did

Uh...cool? I never said my way was different. Just responding to a reply that what I did seemed really hard.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

qbert
Oct 23, 2003

I thought that this variation of the game was simple enough that it had already been "solved", meaning playing an AI is the same as playing an AI at Tic-Tac-Toe. It's impossible to win if you go first.

qbert
Oct 23, 2003

Dongmin is a goddamn master. People are literally throwing themselves at the Death Match now just to not give him the satisfaction, drat. He couldn't get eliminated even if he begged for it.

qbert
Oct 23, 2003

Shakugan posted:

Yeah, it seemed really dumb for Hyunmin to give his token to Dongmin instead of Ahyoung, because he was effectively choosing between Yeonjoo and Ahyoung, and choosing to keep Yeonjoo doesn't make any since. She worked with them much less often, seemed less likely to be "loyal", gave away Dongmin's strategy IMMEDIATELY after being told it etc etc.

Did you watch the BTS?

He did it because he felt bad and didn't want to directly choose between the girls.

qbert
Oct 23, 2003

Fast Luck posted:

qbert watch it again. He knew he was effectively choosing who would go to the death match no matter what he did. At 2:55 he mentions if he gives it to Ahyoung, he knows Yeonjoo will be picked, and if he gives it to Dongmin, he knows Ahyoung will be picked. "I knew what would happen in both cases regardless." I mean, I guess he let the other guys choose but he did that already knowing what they'd choose, so that's not exactly... I dunno. He made the wrong choice in my opinion, for sure.

Also I loved the relationship between Dongmin and Ahyoung but I think Dongmin disrespected her quite a bit. When he refused to let her do the black mission because she'd lose anyway, that was probably the right call strategically but that's probably why she had kind words for Hyunmin and none for Dongmin on the way out.

edit: taking out spoiler tags now on the new page I guess.

Doesn't he address that in that same conversation? Saying something like, "Regardless of whether or not I could predict who he'd pick, I'd still rather have him make the final choice."

Strategically, I don't think either decision would have been wrong, as there's only 5 people left and Hyunmin and Dongmin are pretty much set on helping only each other make it to the finals. Their reasoning is that they don't really care if one of them loses from now on, because they're both completely confident they can win the Black Mission. So from their viewpoint, either girl is whatever.

It just seems weird that everyone's bashing Hyunmin's decision for you know, having emotions, and feeling bad about choosing which girl to save, and thus making the most neutral choice possible from his POV. It's only a dumb decision if you think caring about others in the game has no strategic benefit whatsoever, which I don't agree with, given how important the social aspect of each main mission seems to be.

qbert
Oct 23, 2003

Verr posted:

Yeah, their placement of Gravity was weird. So was Yoohyun's choice of Gravity altogether. Seems like that's a piece pretty much guaranteed not to get 5th or 6th in an alliance.

Wasn't there plan to somehow combine Gravity and Mirror, so that when they pulled Mirror way back they could use that to push someone else way ahead and over the finish line?

Still not a great plan.

qbert
Oct 23, 2003

YJS is probably too famous/beloved to be a contestant on the show. As in, I don't think any other contestant would be willing to betray him on-camera, as they'd probably get S2 levels of hate comments.

qbert
Oct 23, 2003

Did anyone else notice they used music from The Knick in this episode?

It's just cool to me that some Korean person who works on The Genius not only watches a medical drama set in early 1900s New York, but they also recognized how loving awesome that soundtrack was.

qbert
Oct 23, 2003

Not only was it a really well-matched finale that came down to smart plays (the turn when Hyunmin bet it all on Win, I kept thinking, "If Dongmin is smart enough to recognize how good intentionally losing this turn is, he deserves to win.") but the episode also strongly emphasized the importance of making it to the finals without antagonizing the people you beat to get there, which I loved. I strongly disliked Hyunmin for the first half of the season, and it wasn't surprising to see a lot of the other contestants had a problem with his selfish play style as well. Dongmin pretty much stayed loyal to anyone he said he would, and went that extra mile to try and protect his allies, which paid off big time at the end here.

Good season with a great conclusion. The most deserving contestant won.

qbert
Oct 23, 2003

Propaganda Machine posted:

For me, I wasn't as convinced that Dongmin won all of that support from simple goodwill. Maybe I could go back and rewatch, and I'd change my opinion here, but it seemed like a matter of courtesy and respect. Like, Dongmin is older (Korea has a weird oppa complex), and he is a very well-established comedian/broadcaster, whereas Hyunmin is the supposedly cocky KAIST student who's younger than literally the rest of the cast. I could see that both as being bitter that he'd beaten them, as well as deferential to a significant figure of cultural influence, so the fact that the advantages were so unilateral kind of left a sour taste in my mouth.

If the age thing was really that significant of a cultural factor, then why wasn't Season 2's finale just as equally unbalanced?

qbert
Oct 23, 2003

Ji-Yoon and Jin-Ho are back, good enough for me!

qbert
Oct 23, 2003

IIRC there is no reward for being separately correct. It's not enough that you solve the mystery, you have to be able to convince everyone else that your deduction is correct.

Also, the show improves massively over the first few episodes. Halfway through the season they switch to 1 whole case per episode and it helps with pacing tremendously. Also Henry leaving helps, because I find him like nails on a chalkboard in everything he's ever appeared in.

qbert
Oct 23, 2003

Suspicious Dish posted:

Are the alibis all made up by them, or is it the show's writing?

They're given detailed alibis by the show writers as well as certain information to keep hidden and reveal later. Basically everyone knows their own extensive backstory but no one else's.

qbert
Oct 23, 2003

Really enjoyed the ep. I can't believe no one else voted for the Art Dealer! Security Guard's whole theory and thought process made perfect sense to me. Had me convinced.

qbert
Oct 23, 2003

This was a really good episode, because there were multiple perfectly viable suspects at the end, and yet the final reveal and explanation definitely made the most sense.

It was between Worker Kim and Wife Ha for me at the end, and even I was fooled and picked the wife. The group failing on the cassette evidence was hilarious, although I suspect that even if that had come out Worker Kim would've spun some story about admitting to help with the fake robbery, but then someone else came along and set the fire after he left. I definitely recall episodes in Season 1 where the "smoking gun" was found but the killer twisted it away from them.

Really impressed with the mysteries the writers have crafted for this season so far. Also they should just consider bringing that guest back and making him a permanent cast member, because he was fantastic in both his episodes.

qbert
Oct 23, 2003

Episode was amazing.

The director has completely redeemed himself for his performance in previous weeks. Those deductions were insane. Just coming up with the sex change theory was pretty out there, but then he basically fit half a dozen different clues together into the correct narrative, so that there wasn't any doubt that had to be the answer.

And holy crap again I have to commend the writers for the subtlety of their clues. Having a contact show up by dialing international prefixes? Hiding a major clue in the cached search history on the phone? That poo poo is deep.

I have to say, of the entire cast, the director definitely tries the hardest to be in character each week. Have to give him credit for that.

qbert
Oct 23, 2003

I love Hani's reactions whenever they reveal the criminal at the end of episodes. You could make a supercut of her and Jinho and set it to EDM.

qbert
Oct 23, 2003

That ending was amazing. Is it next week yet?

I love that the writers seem to be ratcheting up the difficulty level on these cases, probably in response to the string of correct captures in the last few weeks. Hiding the shell casing in the candle is pretty ingenious. Have to remember that the next time I plan a murder.

Also Ji-Yoon's singing was hilarious, Hani's reaction to finding the gun was hilarious, and the Director getting extra sensitive about the movie he directed was hilarious.

qbert
Oct 23, 2003

Crime Scene Ep 8 is out!

Just watched it. Thought it was a great ep, with a lot of good red herrings right up until the end. When Dongmin presented his father/daughter theory, I knew he was right. Just like the sex change episode, the story just seemed too perfect and had the right level of melodrama the show's writers love to throw in. I loved that for the 2nd time, the female criminal tried to get out of it by crying real tears. Hani made a great criminal. I seriously believed all her cries of innocence until that last theory was presented.

qbert
Oct 23, 2003

Nondevor posted:

I stopped watching Crime Scene in the middle of the first season. Do I have to finish watching it to understand the second season, or can I just jump straight in?

Judging from the discussion there seems to be way more genius plays in Crime Scene S2 than in season 3 of the Genius. :v:

Nope, you can jump right into S2. Although the 2nd half of Crime Scene S1 was way better than the first half, because they switched to the 1 mystery per ep format.

qbert
Oct 23, 2003

So other than the three winners, I kind of forgot everyone else's name. Can someone remind me who the others were?

qbert
Oct 23, 2003

Thanks, I actually remember all those people except for Yoonsun.

They should've brought back Ahyoung instead. She was the best.

qbert
Oct 23, 2003

I'm kind of hoping for an immediate alliance between the 3 winners, but more realistically expecting an early alliance between all the non-winners to make sure the previous winners get out early.

Also crossing my fingers for a runners-up alliance.

qbert
Oct 23, 2003

I feel like if you just side with whoever the viewers side with you'll always be right. Has the audience been right 100% of the time this season?

The only fair way to guess is to duct tape the bottom 1/4th of your screen.

qbert
Oct 23, 2003

That was a pretty fantastic ep.

It felt really well thought-out with all of the clues subtly pointing to various different scenarios. When they started to deduce the murder method of how the victim was in the passenger seat and the murderer was trying to use it to dump the body, I was totally convinced that's how it went down. I felt like the Repairman could easily be ruled out because he wouldn't use a car he knows has cut brake lines, and the chauffeur didn't have enough motive to kill her, but it could have been any of the other three. The GPS thing really had me fooled at the end too, despite all the other evidence piled at Hani. Obviously that last bit of evidence the Detective found made it obvious it was her, but I don't know who I would've picked without that. Also, for once the audience got it completely wrong.

BoA did a great job as a guest, I hope she comes back sometime. Also, next week...Worker Kim returns!

qbert
Oct 23, 2003

NowonSA posted:

Did they manage to get all the first and second place finishers back? I was sure they were missing two. Anyway, I still think it's bold because they've proven to be good at the Genius, so taking that into account it's probably more in the 35-40% range. Like, you can't give Jinho the same odds of reaching the finals as Tittygod, for example, so I'd factor that in.

Even taking odds into account, saying "One of these 6 (out of 13) players will get eliminated" isn't exactly a bold prediction.

qbert
Oct 23, 2003

That ending!

Does that mean Jang Jin is just ruled out for the continuation? I guess only giving them an hour max makes cutting the suspect pool down to 4 a bit more fair.

Is it next week, yet?

qbert
Oct 23, 2003

Zernach posted:

Was this in Crime Scene? I want to see how bad it was, somebody mind posting which episode and time it was.

http://www.dailymotion.com/video/x2uze2a

At around 23:36.

qbert
Oct 23, 2003

I do like the idea of doing away with the winner getting to give immunity to another person. Basically you can't make an alliance where one person bombs in service of another and they both still end up safe.

qbert
Oct 23, 2003

Some cool past contestants get interviewed about S4.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TZliZzf2svA

Dohee: "Season 4's point to watch is whether someone will lose their ID." :)

qbert
Oct 23, 2003

Fall posted:

What the gently caress, spoilers for ep 1 are already on Wikipedia. Don't spoil yourself like I did.

That's because Ep 1 aired earlier today. We still have to wait for Bum to sub it.

qbert
Oct 23, 2003

Just watched the finale of Crime Scene 2.

I thought the final case ended well, even though everyone put the clues together super easily and it was completely obvious as soon as they discovered the newspaper article.

I'm glad only half the ep was devoted to the case, and they spent the last half just chatting and reminiscing over the season. I'm really going to miss this particular cast. I would actually be perfectly fine with Crime Scene 3 keeping this exact cast and just continuing on with new cases.

On to the new season of The Genius!

qbert
Oct 23, 2003

Suspicious Dish posted:

Where did this 100% win rate thing come from? I swore Jinho got every other case wrong.

That was just fabricated for his character in the final case. Hani's grandmother isn't dead either.

qbert
Oct 23, 2003

Suspicious Dish posted:

I literally don't remember this. What's it from?

It was from Ep 10 around the 12 minute mark. I recognized HaHa immediately from the gif.

qbert
Oct 23, 2003

ViggyNash posted:

Great! I wonder if Wed will be the regular update day, or if it's just this first episode. It would kinda suck because Mr. Robot airs wednesdays and that's a lot to watch in a day.

It's really all based on the translator's schedule. I mean, it's pretty impressive to me that one person not only translates all the dialogue and text, but does all the timing and font styling themselves and gets it uploaded in like 4 days.

qbert
Oct 23, 2003

That was a really good ep and I'm glad Junseok tried to muck up the alliance by going for the solo win. Basically he realized that the first 3 seasons were dominated by majority alliances that guaranteed wins and he wanted to shake that up as early as possible. I was rooting for him to pull it off because Hyunmin always calculates these easy victories that make the main matches boring and usually leave 1-2 people out in the cold.

Hopefully this ep prompts the remaining players to think outside their comfort zone moving forward.

qbert
Oct 23, 2003

Subyng posted:

I'm only 3/4 through the episode by why the gently caress do people keep trusting Sangmin? Seriously? You don't even need to watch Season 2 to know he is sketchy as gently caress, even the way he talks to other people you can tell he can't be trusted. For gently caress's sake.

This is what happens when you have an All-Star season. Most of the players are extremely confident in their own abilities and tactics, they're not going to be worrying about what Sangmin is doing because their own methods have worked out for them so well in the past.

You think Hyunmin was worrying about a Sangmin shake-up? Nope, he just immediately went into his usual "crack the game for the perfect win" bubble.

qbert
Oct 23, 2003

I just realized 5 of this season's contestants have never lost a Death Match.

poo poo's gonna get awesome.

qbert
Oct 23, 2003

GaussianCopula posted:

That doesn't sound right. It's only 4 and none of those 4 has played more than one season, which means they "only" needed to reach F2 in their respective season to achieve this status.

Jinho, Kyungran, Hyunmin, Dongmin, and Yohwan have never lost a Death Match.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

qbert
Oct 23, 2003

Fall posted:

Jinho lost in S2 to what amounted to be a dice roll,

Holy poo poo I forgot he was even in S2. I basically blocked all of that season from my mind.

My mistake.