Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Capsaicin
Nov 17, 2004

broof roof roof
Season 1 Episode 2:

Don't know if we're doing spoilers, but

AHHHHHHHHHH HOW DID CHANGYEOP GET ELECTED?! :stare:

Nothing makes sense!

Also, what exactly is Sangmin famous for? I looked him up on wikipedia, but all I could find is a group, not him himself.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Capsaicin
Nov 17, 2004

broof roof roof

Suspicious Dish posted:

Watch until the end. They explain it well.

He was the lead musician and producer behind Roo'ra. He had a restaurant for a while, and that failed.

He's a stock character for a lot of Korean TV. Here he is on some random cooking show:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7eZGHGnHp0w

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FEcwgONvDPA

So yeah, he's a popular dude.

Ah, their introduction of him in the first episode just kinda said "Hey, this guy failed a lot in life, so he's probably really resilient!"

Capsaicin
Nov 17, 2004

broof roof roof

Suspicious Dish posted:

He'll expand on those beliefs later.

I just started episode 4, Zombie Game, and Sunggyu is being a total cock to Sangmin.

"I've sold 8.8 millioin albums!"

"That's all in the past."

This show rules i love this show.

Capsaicin
Nov 17, 2004

broof roof roof

Corn Thongs posted:

Sunggyu' brattiness is awesome

"This guy is great. He doesn't even know the rules and he wins."

Capsaicin
Nov 17, 2004

broof roof roof
Oh no. Oh no. Oh NO.

I just got to the episode in S1 where Haha shows up.

This is going to be crazy.

Capsaicin
Nov 17, 2004

broof roof roof
Just finished season 1, and goddamn, did the montage before Sunggyu left make me cry like nothing else. :(

Also, even after they explained it, I still didn't understand how Jinho beat the Pass/Open game.

Capsaicin
Nov 17, 2004

broof roof roof

Asiina posted:

The back of the cards had an asymmetrical pattern, so you could tell which way was "up". He put the numbers as "up" and the expressions as "down" so he could always tell whether it was going to be a number or not

Ah, gotcha. I thought that, but then thought that the shuffling would have messed that up.

Man, between the fourth place elimination and third place elimination, I never thought Lana Del Rey would be a good choice for music for a Korean game show, but goddamn. :|

Capsaicin
Nov 17, 2004

broof roof roof

Suspicious Dish posted:

Go back and watch it. The producers were clever. The girl shuffles in a very odd manner to not flip backs of the cards around. He was clever enough to notice and then take advantage of it. It's a really sneaky move.

I really get the feeling that there are a lot of things the producers put in just hoping people Hong Jinho would catch.

Capsaicin
Nov 17, 2004

broof roof roof

Suspicious Dish posted:

Correct. And then it all just falls down in S2.

It's the episode I was convinced Jinho was a genius. He's sort of bumbled along the sidelines with some truly weak victories and tremendous losses for a bit, but he just came back and won everyone over.

He also came up with the idea I had in the 5:5 game of just "making groups of five" as soon as they explained the rules. Also thought of using questions since there were four in the back row and six in the front of "I'm in the back row or I'm X" where X was something only one person in the front row is doing.

Capsaicin
Nov 17, 2004

broof roof roof
Has season 2 made it onto youtube yet? Or is it still only available via dailymotion?

Capsaicin
Nov 17, 2004

broof roof roof

Suspicious Dish posted:

It was originally on YouTube was then taken down for unknown reasons. If Dailymotion is being a CPU hog, try running the embed player (stick /embed/ in between dailymotion.com/ and video/). It tends to run a lot lighter for me.

I have a YouTube App on my game systems so I can watch on TV. I'd rather not watch in a small laptop screen :/

Capsaicin
Nov 17, 2004

broof roof roof

pokeyman posted:

youtube-dl also works great when pointed at DailyMotion if you want to save a copy.

Will it grab from private videos? Bumdidly has all her videos marked as private/link-only; the Firefox DL add-on I have won't snag from private videos.

Capsaicin
Nov 17, 2004

broof roof roof
I think my favorite small thing about this show is how at the beginning of every episode, the music builds and builds before the credits. That's just really good blood-pumping editing.

Capsaicin
Nov 17, 2004

broof roof roof
Ep2: Jesus Christ, Team Starcraft got WRECKED in the Deathmatch. Dongmin is loving terrifying on this show.

Capsaicin
Nov 17, 2004

broof roof roof
I just started watching Crime Scene S1E1. This Henry guy....huh.

Capsaicin
Nov 17, 2004

broof roof roof

MoosetheMooche posted:

Can anyone recommend some board games that are similar to Genius style main match games or possibly ones that the show took heavy inspiration from? Preferably with less players required, a maximum of 6-8 players required.

Apparently an official The Genius board game was set to be released in Korea a few days ago, but there doesn't seem to be an English version available.

The laser chess from season 2 was exactly based off of Khet. I think the Middle Race from S3 was based off of something else, but I just don't see it being as fun without having something on the line.

Edit: Or just play Cash'n'Guns. That game is stupid and fun.

Capsaicin
Nov 17, 2004

broof roof roof

BravestOfTheLamps posted:

2x06: I love this goddamn show. It's gotten so drat bitter compared to S1 that I don't how it'll go on. Real betrayals! Real tears!

Isn't this the episode that brought death threats to Jiwon in Korea?

Capsaicin
Nov 17, 2004

broof roof roof

Tunicate posted:

What's the story behind the tittygod nickname anyway?

He made a post on some webforum about him getting selected to be on the show, some people said he was a liar, so he told them to go suck their mother's titties. This made air on the last episode of season 3.

Capsaicin
Nov 17, 2004

broof roof roof

Symbolic Butt posted:

I was thinking they had some extra rule regarding truncation (I vaguely recall a game that did that before with square roots?) but still there was no way to use it for a number bigger than 6. 10 was the smallest number that came up.

Season 3 had the number auction game that truncated any decimal points. In it, 10.9 would be truncated to 10.

Capsaicin
Nov 17, 2004

broof roof roof
Didn't Jinho say that Junseok was the #1 person he was scared of in season 1?

Capsaicin
Nov 17, 2004

broof roof roof
New episode:

Jesus Christ, just from the intro, you can see that Kyungran is just so pissed at Jungmoon. Also, Dongmin is still the best.

Shouldn't be a spoiler, but there is some top tier Dongmin-Dealer nuna antics in this episode.

Capsaicin fucked around with this message at 23:50 on Aug 5, 2015

Capsaicin
Nov 17, 2004

broof roof roof

Piriwi posted:

Ahh finished part 1, part 2 not working yet...

Dongmin is good, but I'm hoping his team utterly fails here. Dongmin is kind of a dick, Jinho is useless again, Kyungran is a hypocrite and Hyunmin is Hyunmin.

Going by the flash forward the best outcome for the 'betrayed' team would be that Jungmoon ends up as the elimination candidate and picks someone from Dongmins team because they didn't back her at the end. Assuming the flash forward is not a misdirect, but I don't see how that could be in this case.

Didn't Junseok say "Oh, your team has a spy too?"? Do both teams have a spy? Oh dear.

Capsaicin
Nov 17, 2004

broof roof roof
Kyunghoon has somehow arguably turned into the best player in the game at this point.

Also, moment of the season for me.

"Dongmin, who did you choose?

Salute! I'm a cop!

Dongmin chose police.

You're under arrest....You're under arrest for stealing my heart!

*turns immediately* Junseok, who did you choose?

Capsaicin
Nov 17, 2004

broof roof roof
Jesus, that was just a straight up massacre in the deathmatch. Jinho had it right: "At least we won't have to face him in Hap! Gyul!".

also hell yes doohee back to wreck poo poo

Capsaicin
Nov 17, 2004

broof roof roof
Is Minus Auction based on a current board game or anything?

Capsaicin
Nov 17, 2004

broof roof roof
Since it's so similar, where is the best place to watch Liar Game?

Capsaicin
Nov 17, 2004

broof roof roof

Colonel Cool posted:

But the loss is what makes them all the sweeter~

I mean you could carry this on into absurdity and have a show where you never eliminate anyone with that logic.

but that's what made unan1mous so good

Capsaicin
Nov 17, 2004

broof roof roof
There's no way to find episodes of Genius/Society Game anymore, huh? Looks like all the ones from reddit that I used previously got scrubbed. :(

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Capsaicin
Nov 17, 2004

broof roof roof

Exercu posted:

Which seasons do you need? I don't have season 2 of Society Game, but anything else I've got.

Was looking to redownload s1 and s2 of genius, and I never got to watch S1 of Society game.