Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Argue
Sep 29, 2005

I represent the Philippines

Meme Emulator posted:

Im watching season 1 now, whats with the overly dramatic Genius Game intro with the black cards? Feels almost life theyre riffing on the Liar Game manga.

e: Hoo boy, I should have watched a little longer, the million dollar diamond is a direct ref. I guess the creators liked it.

Some games are very reminiscent of some of the Liar Games, and at least one of them is lifted straight from it, minus the technological sophistication that made the one in the manga possible.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Argue
Sep 29, 2005

Has anyone found or made a list of the animals and their skills/attributes/win conditions? Sounds like something you could play at a party (with a very specific number of people).

Argue
Sep 29, 2005

TV Zombie posted:

I wonder who prepares the games and how long it takes to make them. The first episode of Season 2 is turning out to be amazing.

Apparently the producers work together with a board game company to develop the games. Makes sense to me, considering one of the deathmatches last season was Dixit with cat pictures instead of illustrations.

Argue
Sep 29, 2005

I nominate Patton Oswalt, Danica McKellar, Wil Wheaton, some guy from the MIT blackjack team, and I dunno, Frank Abagnale Jr, as the first contestants. (If not a contestant, Wil is probably the perfect producer for this show since the Korean producer said that its games were created in collaboration with board game makers)

Argue
Sep 29, 2005

Hahah, man, could Eunkyul be any more stereotypically evil? Dude wears all black AND shades too.

I think they could have balanced out the game by not eliminating the people that get caught. That could have given Yoonsun enough time to realize there was a real traitor among their ranks.

Argue
Sep 29, 2005

Nah, I think the 5:5 strategy was in line with the spirit of the rules; even the very first episode established that "if we don't explicitly forbid it, it's allowed"--they weren't told they could trade cards, but someone asked a dealer and they said yep, go ahead.

Argue
Sep 29, 2005

E7

Sangmin: That was awesome; Sangmin supremacy. I already had an inkling that he'd figured it out first because of the weird die he showed Junghyun.

Junghyun: lol, can this guy get any more clueless

Jiwon: Well, that deathmatch didn't go how I had expected or hoped at all. That said, I laughed hard during the second tie after all that buildup.

Jinho: Beaten by Boxer in his last ep, and then having his deathmatch reduced to pure luck because the worst guy in the game didn't want him counting cards. For a round called "God's Judgement" this game sure did a good job of proving there isn't one. :argh:

Argue
Sep 29, 2005

It was probably on purpose. I'm guessing that card manufacturers know full well by now that card backs should either be rotationally symmetric or obviously asymmetric. When I was a kid, I had a deck of marked cards and that was precisely the trick used to tell cards apart.

Argue
Sep 29, 2005

Junghyun is being painted as so clueless that I'm hoping he makes the finals, then we get treated to flashbacks to every previous round that show he actually Keyser Sozed everyone.

Argue
Sep 29, 2005

^^^^ Yeah, that rule would make sense I think.

They should introduce some kind of mechanic where eliminated contestants can come back to take revenge and earn themselves some garnets; if the comic they're imitating can do it, so can they :v:

Argue
Sep 29, 2005

Fuoco posted:

If you're after a show with a similar concept, check out the j-drama series Liar Game.

I'd recommend the manga over the j-drama; it's easier to follow because you can pause to mull all the diagrams over. Also, the main character was dumb enough in the manga, but they made her hilariously stupid in the j-drama.

http://kissmanga.com/Manga/Liar-Game/001-The-Legendary-Swindler?id=122665

The first arc is a bit too broad to be something out of The Genius, but once that part is done, you can see how this show was clearly inspired by it (the zombie game, for one, was lifted straight from here). Personally I'd like to see a special event, pitting everyone from both seasons against each other in a round of musical chairs, played over a weekend.

Argue
Sep 29, 2005

The minus auction is also a card game, but I don't remember what it's called. Of course, you don't even need to buy it; just scribble the numbers 1 through 35 on a regular deck of cards or popsicle sticks or pogs.

The deathmatch with all the cat pictures from season 1 is a game called Dixit, but the real game has much more lavish art in the pictures than just a bunch of memes.

Argue
Sep 29, 2005

I haven't seen the ep yet, but is this essentially that game show Whodunnit from a few months ago where there's a butler who has contestants solving riddles to sniff out the murderer? What are the mechanics?

Argue
Sep 29, 2005

Is there going to be an edited synopsis of SA Genius "episodes"? Because if you're only skimming through the game thread, it's just a bunch of people posting moves, which isn't really compelling reading. It doesn't happen at a time that I'm able to keep up with the viewer's vista or anything.

Argue
Sep 29, 2005

Okay, so apparently, what happens is that if an elimination candidate has 3 black garnets, they can do a "black mission" to choose someone else to play the deathmatch. Were there a lot of people in the first two seasons who got sent to the deathmatch 4 times?

Argue
Sep 29, 2005

My god, Dealer nuna must have been operating at 100% CPU capacity there. Minus the short breaks, she was what, just sitting there doing that for 3-4 hours?

Argue
Sep 29, 2005

Ahahaha the music; they should really have kept that in. I approve of making Detective Conan's theme the new Extreme Ways.

Argue
Sep 29, 2005

I was so sure that they would reveal that Hyunmin wagered some ridiculously high amount, like 1000000, but I guess it would have made the strategy obvious too soon.

Sujin made a ridiculously costly error, ugghhhh; I had no opinion on her prior to this game but I thought she was playing way better than Yeonseung up to that dumb dumb point and I would much rather have seen her go through.

CHiRAL posted:

Will we ever hear Extreme Ways in this season? :sigh:

They're saving it for when Bandage Man says "This week, you will be facing off against external threats."
*Door opens*
*Extreme Ways plays as Jinho and Sangmin walk in*

Argue
Sep 29, 2005

Was there a point to Hyunmin and Dongmin using dead drops? I think it was pretty clear even from last week that the two had an alliance going on, so wasn't that kind of pointless?

Argue
Sep 29, 2005

Subyng posted:

All the women this season were pretty bad, unfortunately.

I would like Juri to come back; she had a good poker face in the deathmatch and she is dealer nuna's coworker; she should never have lost to Ahyoung :(

Argue
Sep 29, 2005

Next week we find out for sure what the status of Extreme Ways is, because if there was ever a time to use that music, it would be for a Jinho reveal--if they don't have it there I'm just gonna assume they were told not to use it anymore.

Argue
Sep 29, 2005

CHiRAL posted:

Season 4 better have a member of Super Junior in it :colbert:
I'm not picky as long as it's one of the clever ones (remember their guest episode?)

Was that the Color Auction? I don't know which one of them it was but one of them was pretty great at the game; the one guy who was really very no-nonsense while he was the auctioneer. Also please bring Juri back :(

Argue
Sep 29, 2005

Bump's Twitter linked to this. Kyungran, Jungmoon, Yohwan, Jinho, Sangmin, and Dongmin confirmed for s4. :getin:

Argue
Sep 29, 2005

Full list is up; it's Jinho, Kyungran, Junseok, Jungmoon, Sangmin, Yohwan, Junghyun, Yoonsun, Dongmin, Hyunmin, Kyunghoon, Yoohyun, Yeonseung. As per Bumpdidlyumptious, it'll be called Genius: Grand Final. Article here. Don't worry about the title; she says it's just a name and not actually the end.

Argue
Sep 29, 2005

Wil Wheaton as producer/Bandage Oppa (he has lots of ties to board game companies who'd surely be game to consult for and possibly even sponsor games). Invitations extended to Patton Oswalt. Someone from the MIT blackjack team. I dunno, Frank Abagnale Jr or something. Dark horses: some random MSNBC anchor, and someone from One Direction or whatever the popular boy band is these days.

Argue
Sep 29, 2005

Oh my god, incredible ep all around; the table reveal was the most hilarious moment on the show yet, several "oh snap" moments happened in the middle, and then when Dongmin revealed Kyungran lied, I was on the edge. Of. My. loving. Seat. That would have been such a good comeback for Sangmin.

Argue
Sep 29, 2005

Soylentbits posted:

I still don't think the Open/ Pass gimmick was designed. It was likely a byproduct of them personally producing the cards with specific Genius backing. It's the same with the weighted monster items. That was just a freak accident that didn't take into account Dongmin superpowers.

The Open/Pass markings are a fairly common way of making cards secretly asymmetric, I think; the magic kits I used to have as a kid came with decks that used the same gimmick so you could find the audience member's card apart by turning the deck upside down before they reinserted it.

Argue
Sep 29, 2005

I think one of the Loyalists should have spilled the beans to Kyungran about the plan to possibly betray Jungmoon. Then keep an eye on her, and her being Justice-nuna, she'd have tried to tip Jungmoon off and they'd have been sure she was a rebel.

Also maybe they could have balanced it out a bit more by giving the rebels 4 tokens of immunity for winning.

Argue
Sep 29, 2005

In season 2 the winning strategy was pretty much "be on his team" up until Jiwon knocked him out with his coin flip poker deathmatch. I figured Jinho was deliberately staying under the radar this season due to the strong competition and I supposed it generally worked in his favor.

Argue
Sep 29, 2005

I think the main game this week could be a premise for some kind of hybrid game/talk show in and of itself. Might even be fun to see an American one of this.

Argue
Sep 29, 2005

No, I tweeted Bump to ask this as soon as the announcement was posted and they told me "Grand Final" is just a name.

If there's one thing I'd like them to fix it's that the first two or three players to be eliminated don't really get a fair shot because there's a little bit more randomness (of sorts) to it when the alliances are still in flux at the start.

Argue
Sep 29, 2005

SURPRISE! Genius season finale is up! http://bxrme.tumblr.com/post/120791388643/the-genius-4-subbed

Argue
Sep 29, 2005

i81icu812 posted:

If you wanted to introduce someone new to The Genius, what season would you have them watch first?

Just start with 1.1 and let them keep watching if it strikes their interest. That first ep was some lightning in a bottle right there.

Argue
Sep 29, 2005

Patton Oswalt, Ken Jennings, Danica McKellar, Frank Abagnale Jr, and some unknown from the MIT blackjack team.

Argue
Sep 29, 2005

https://twitter.com/Sangminsghost/status/785137694661709829

Argue
Sep 29, 2005

First ep of Society game is up: http://bxrme.tumblr.com/post/152186981508/society-game-subbed

Can someone watch and give a trip report because I saw luck-based and physical challenges in the preview and am not hyped by that.

e:fb

Argue
Sep 29, 2005

The final revelation of the Genius Shared Universe is that Bump, Dealer Nuna, and Bandage Oppa were all the same person.

Argue
Sep 29, 2005

rydiafan posted:

Warning to the new viewer and schadenfreude for everyone else. DO NOT GOOGLE "genius game garnet" to find out how to get one. If you do so the top result shows who wins season 3.

That was a sad moment for me. :(

Did you find out how to get one tho

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Argue
Sep 29, 2005

Day 1 was good but man, day 2 relied way too much on luck; I felt really bad for the go player lady who nearly came in last through no fault of her own. I was waiting for someone to pull a surprise win with a clever rule but no, like half that game was just rolling dice and hoping for a good number.

I did notice something, but maybe someone who understands Korean can tell me if this couldn't be done with the available blocks--they mentioned a "nearest office" tile near the start, then dismissed it because you wouldn't get to use the benefits, but it seemed to me they were expecting a contestant to have a rule that triggers while they're in the starting space, thus teleporting them all the way to the office behind them, just three spaces away from the end instead of the one four spaces ahead.