Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

SnowWolf
Nov 20, 2005
Almost done marathoning through season 1, awesome show. When I started watching, I was suspecting some parts were scripted because of twist reveals at the end and the way plans nicely came together, but I just chalked that up to good editing. I lost that feeling a few episodes in.

Wish there were better death matches though. The tactical game is a snore. Indian poker is alright. The only one I truly loved was episode 11, wish they had more like that relying on pure brainpower. Kyungran really surprised me with her memory and comeback although she ended up missing a lot also

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SnowWolf
Nov 20, 2005
Apparently the backlash involves Jiwon, based on Twitter chatter. I'm not digging too deeply as I'd rather not spoil the episode for myself

SnowWolf
Nov 20, 2005

GraPar posted:

Also, I love the fact that the Korean AV Club has comments that get tens of thousands of upvotes.

Got a link?

SnowWolf
Nov 20, 2005
Subbed Jinho appearance on a radio show

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Boe2fezIcQw

SnowWolf
Nov 20, 2005
Only downside of that episode was no Extreme Ways. Awesome main match and deathmatch, already S3 is looking a lot better than S2

SnowWolf
Nov 20, 2005

Josh Lyman posted:

I don't under why Ahyoung was helping Kyunghoon. Sure, he has a crush on her, but surely she can't have a crush on him. He's a traitorous bastard who has no dignity, begging for help, and got mad and people who wouldn't help him. And it's not like he's especially attractive.

Yeah, I didn't think much of him when he took the win last week for no good reason and put a mark on his back. Then this week he was being a jerk when people wouldn't help him. The crush side story was really cute though, and he got some points when he said watching the Genius when he was in the US was the highlight of his week :3:

In the week since the first episode, Ahyoung either looked him up on a Korean social network or (more likely) Kyunghoon added her as a friend. But at least she remembered that there was a girl in his photo, so hey that's something

SnowWolf fucked around with this message at 07:38 on Oct 12, 2014

SnowWolf
Nov 20, 2005

Davincie posted:

yeonsoung spoke the truth during the deatmatch, can't believe she is so competent. Also wouldn't you have met tons of same age friends when you went to school???

Oh and was Yoohyun's guest the same woman who was always behind the scenes for yohwan last season?

Yeah, she's Yohwan's wife, also known as SlayerS Jessica. I don't follow the StarCraft 2 scene too closely but she was the manager for the SlayerS pro-SC2 team and is a fiery personality. She seemed to frequently be involved in drama, attacking netizens, saying controversial comments.

This was a really good episode. I've been rooting for Dongmin this whole time because of his masterful command of the game but it's nice to see the tables turned on him for once. I was rooting for Yeonjoo also. She's basically been a follower the entire series but it's hilarious that she was able to literally use her follower ability to her advantage in the deathmatch

Also, I laughed at the flashbacks during the deathmatch; I thought they were going to force another love relationship. I wouldn't mind being close to Yeonjoo though ;-*

SnowWolf fucked around with this message at 23:48 on Nov 29, 2014

SnowWolf
Nov 20, 2005
When Yeonjoo realized that she lost because she didn't believe in herself, there could have been a flashback to Dongmin in a previous episode saying "the Genius is life" but maybe that would have been too mean. I thought it was really cool that she learned a life lesson though. Makes me wonder how I would do if I played the Genius

SnowWolf fucked around with this message at 19:34 on Dec 7, 2014

SnowWolf
Nov 20, 2005
What we need is to get Yowan's wife in season 4. She's already been involved in 2 seasons and she's certainly not lacking in self-confidence

SnowWolf
Nov 20, 2005
Season 1 is still the best for gamesmanship and Extreme Ways moments, but I really like Season 3 for the life lessons that people learned by going through the experience. Nice to see one final Chinguya moment too

SnowWolf
Nov 20, 2005
More behind the scenes from the finale: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_qSn1uJX-lI

I never thought about this, but it makes sense that people would consciously say stuff just to get edited into the show

SnowWolf
Nov 20, 2005

Dragonatrix posted:

Crime Scene ep10's up.

Wow, I think this is the first time I've ever seen BoA on a TV show like this

SnowWolf
Nov 20, 2005
Probably one of my favorite episodes of TV ever. I feel mentally exhausted after this one. The Dark Knight reference somebody made was pretty apt.

I've never liked Sangmin and only begrudgingly respected him so it was marvelous to see TG shake up the game and completely dominate him in the deathmatch. TG's yomi mindgames are on another level.

SnowWolf
Nov 20, 2005
why did kyungran say she was indebted to sangmin and so wanted to save him? Something in season 1 that I forgot about?

SnowWolf
Nov 20, 2005

NowonSA posted:

The only idea I have is to grab clips of big moments from various Genius seasons (possibly including other stuff she's subbed like Crime Scene, Abnormal Summit, a quick bit about Jinho's trip with Lady Jane. etc), stitch them together, put a song over it, and put a big thank you message to Bumbi at the beginning and maybe the end, and sign it from English speakers everywhere or something along those lines, then tweet Bumbi a link to it on youtube or another video site along with a thank you message in the tweet. If you wanted to make it kind of jokey you could make it basically nothing but Jinho-focused stuff, but I'd go with more of an overall homage to Bumbi's subs.

I know very, VERY little about how to do any of that, but I'm sure somebody does, so something to consider once this season's wrapped.

Maybe something similar to this thank you video from Shenmue fans. Specifically the part at 1:06 https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=M4nG7m0FZhc

I was not expecting that twist to the main match ending at all. I wasn't paying too much attention since the last 3 rounds was just everybody posting $1 so I was assuming it was a straightforward Hyunmin win. I was totally baited :(

This was actually a complaint my brother had when I introduced the show to him. He didn't like in the first couple episodes of season 1 how the editors would intentionally hide information for a big reveal later on. He felt it was a little cheap so I'm not sure if he finished the season :(

SnowWolf fucked around with this message at 04:14 on Jul 24, 2015

SnowWolf
Nov 20, 2005

xcore posted:

For some reason the program I was using to download these videos from Dailymotion (AVGO) has crapped the bed. I'm finding it really difficult to find another way to do this. All the programs/chrome extensions are either untrustworthy or broken. Anyone got any recommendations for me? Bonus points if it can do Youtube.

Dailymotion buffers every 30 seconds for me so I've been torrenting the raw HD broadcast and then using the softsub. Bumdi has links to everything on her tumblr

SnowWolf
Nov 20, 2005
I love this show so much I've been seeking other discussions about The Genius beyond this thread. I came across the reddit koreanvariety board and found a bunch of people hating on Jungmoon because she's always the one who gets to walk in with Hyumin at the beginning of the show. And people lamenting Yoohyun getting eliminated because now they can only see his face on his facebook page :what:

SnowWolf
Nov 20, 2005
Did anybody know that Jungmoon was in a girl group several years ago? https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_ausE9FSzu8

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SnowWolf
Nov 20, 2005
It was really interesting to see how the 2nd game rewarded creative thinking rather than rote arithmetic skills. I actually got out pen and paper and paused the show to figure out solutions but only solved 3 of them. I could see a test like this being part of a job interview

SnowWolf fucked around with this message at 06:11 on Sep 16, 2015