Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Piriwi
Feb 20, 2006
In the main match, why wouldn't you just gather up 3 people with all six fruits and just offer the lowest possible amount each round. As long as someone bets higher in the first round, how could you lose?

Piriwi fucked around with this message at 11:48 on Oct 4, 2014

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Piriwi
Feb 20, 2006
I don't really understand why the six player alliance didn't pick up Delete, looked like a solid choice to me. Also why would they hold back Gravity that much, it would probably be much better utilized when trying to keep it near the center of where everyone is. I think the six player team just played poorly, although the main game was difficult to follow so it's hard to say if they made any obvious mistakes.

Piriwi
Feb 20, 2006

GraPar posted:

Who are people rooting for? I do like Hyunmin a lot but Dongmin has owned this season on every level - strategic, social and entertainment - so it's got to be him.

In the final I mostly just hope we get to see some actual genius moments. I think Hyunmin is the better player, as he always quickly decides on a simple and effective strategy, but he hasn't been challenged much. Like in the deathmatch today, he goes for an obvious strategy and since his opponent is so weak Hyunmin doesn't even have to resort to some kind of meta-strategy that assumes the opponent will have anticipated his plan.

Piriwi
Feb 20, 2006

Fast Luck posted:

The victim arranged to do this when his wife was supposed to be out of town
If she was the murderer, she could lie about that. Maybe she asked him to go ahead with the insurance fraud when she returned from her failed date. Also, there wasn't much evidence that the victim actually knew what his wife was up to. And someone who regularly beats his wife probably isn't afraid of her. So he could have asked her to help him out. Also it could have been her plan in the first place, having learned this method of fraud from Bookstore, the former crime boss. Then there is:
- sudden breakup with neighbour right before murder, breakup indirectly caused by her black eye
- past attempted murder
- being the recipient of the insurance money
- time waiting in park (which could not be confirmed)
- evasive answers

Meanwhile they found no direct evidence linking the worker to the crimescene at that specific time and no confirmed reason as to why he would act at that specific moment.

Piriwi
Feb 20, 2006
I thought this one was too obvious... That smile at 38:10 was when I knew... the murderers almost always smile when they think they are getting away with something. Although I figured the insulin might have been used to incapacitate the victim and I was surprised that nobody mentioned that possibility.

Piriwi
Feb 20, 2006

qbert posted:

I love Hani's reactions whenever they reveal the criminal at the end of episodes. You could make a supercut of her and Jinho and set it to EDM.
Really? To me it feels like she is acting half the time... and not as the character in the story.

I enjoyed this episode, but the likely suspects were perhaps too similar. The stories are most enjoyable when the suspects are involved somehow with each other, beyond just both knowing the victim. Here that was not really the case, perhaps with the exception of the murderer and best friend, which even without any evidence made them the primary suspects. But even then they didn't really seem to interact much.

Piriwi
Feb 20, 2006
Great episode, although I don't think it was possible for the viewers to accurately guess the murderer.

The director got it right again. They were ignoring the bar manager way too much. They didn't really try to figure out the nature of the disagreement between him and the victim and they didn't closely investigate the relationship between the bar manager and the stewardess. And I was surprised that they didn't pick captain Hong, I figured it was either him or the manager. The captain and manager were very similar in terms of possible motives and method of murder. I think Si (Xi?) clearly intended to implicate Hong throughout the episode, he kept 'finding' clues that pointed to the captain.

Piriwi
Feb 20, 2006

Rarity posted:

She only found those clues in the last 3 minutes of searching, that happens after they're last chance to talk to each other.

And they want to keep the game interesting, if she did that any tension would be gone. Every now and then you get the feeling someone is acting with that in mind (rather than winning). Just like how the players could just share all their information at the start and figure it out much quicker... but that obviously wouldn't make for a very interesting gameshow.

Piriwi
Feb 20, 2006
Rather than rules, they probably just have some general guidelines that can be relaxed if the players aren't finding new evidence/clues. I think the detective might also receive additional instructions to make sure the game runs smoothly. You can sometimes see some signalling to the detective, usually to indicate time is up.

And they have to answer questions, but at the same time they are not supposed to give out personal information unless asked or to back up a deduction. And I think they have to try to back up their own questions with evidence or previous knowledge. Some guests struggle with it... they either don't ask many questions (or ask questions that make no sense) or they give out too much information too early (like in this episode).

Piriwi
Feb 20, 2006

dude789 posted:

Titty god is so bad at this.

He really should have gone with his first plan... do nothing. It's the safest option for him. Although in his defense he's not even particularly untrustworthy compared to the other players, it's just that he's extremely bad at hiding it and he is not smart enough to profit from it like Sangmin for example.

Piriwi
Feb 20, 2006

Dias posted:

Main Match was won by a pretty bold move by Sangmin, who I feel is playing unlike himself? Going for solo victories wasn't really his style, I feel. Junseok and TITTYGOD are there just to be jokers, those guys smashed any careful planning by the 11-man alliance with their decisions. Hyunmin's calculations and strategies are worth poo poo when two players do whatever the gently caress they want. I'd be sniping those two (and Sangmin, on principle alone) ASAP, if only to avoid them making a mess out of things.

I'm back to default "can't remember Korean names that well", so I'll say the girl that got the convict card made the correct play dumping it on the old dude. Pretty sure it says something about Korean culture that Sangmin panicked when he realized that the convict card changed hands too..that, or he was deathly afraid of it landing on Jinho/Dongmin/Hyunmin and him burning even more bridges.

I actually thought he had something like this planned (if the opportunity was there). Sangmin is a smart dude, but he must know he can't outplay guys like Hyunmin and Jinho in pure game theory. This way he gets to show his strength (winning the game), gets everyone to realize that they can't fully rely on players like Hyunmin to do everything and forces these better players to bring him into their plans (hence him immediately handing Hyunmin a peace token). I think he panicked simply because he probably didn't realize in advance he would have to play right away again, and his refusal would immediately reveal who had the convict card and make that player an immediate outcast. It would also show that he betrayed his team, which is why he took control and just told the guy.

Piriwi
Feb 20, 2006

AuxiliaryPatroller posted:

Sangmin owns- takes the win, befriends the "good but boring strategies guy" and probably didn't burn too many functional bridges despite double teaming constantly. Junseok also had a good plan but couldn't really execute. Crushing big alliances is a cool move in concept, but tough to fox

Also got some extreme ways for Jinho :hellyeah:.

Sangmin gets away with it. If some nobody does it the other players wouldn't forgive him/her so easily, but the famous players/broadcasters can get away with more. It's not always so obvious in the Genius, but most players know that the game also needs to be entertaining for the viewers and they will sometimes act with that in mind.

If anyone should be angry with Sangmin it's Jungmoon, since he skipped one player before giving her the card. Even though she is probably the best female player... doesn't seem to be fake in her behavior either, unlike most, which is usually gets on my nerves. Dongmin also approves.

Piriwi fucked around with this message at 22:19 on Jul 2, 2015

Piriwi
Feb 20, 2006

Exercu posted:

tbh, the way this season is going so far pretty much answers the big question people had back in season 2. Was the entire game just handed to Sangmin back then, or were the season 2 contestants exceptionally slim pickings. Now we've got two wins for Sangmin, and both season 2-only contestants are out.

Didn't Sangmin technically cheat for his first win anyway? The sort of cheating you can get away with... He just took the convict, it wasn't an unofficial trade since he held onto his own card. They didn't explicitly show this, but Sangmin held onto his own card to make the second unofficial trade to acquire the noble and switch it for the convict. He could have saved tittygod without holding two cards at once, but in that case he wouldn't have earned any garnets by making the last official trade with the convict. I think that he didn't expect Jungmoon to be able to keep a straight face after getting the convict, but deliberately telling everyone she had the convict wasn't really an option.

Piriwi
Feb 20, 2006

Symbolic Butt posted:

Doohee was more like math lion dude than Tittygod. He was potentially a smart guy but never really did anything of note.

That's like half the players... especially this season. Being smart enough to figure out some strategy during the main game means nothing if you are either too passive or too slow. I think there were players in the preseason or post-match interviews talking about how they sometimes come up with good strategies, but it simply doesn't get into the show because they don't pull it off.

Piriwi
Feb 20, 2006
Now that you mention the mentality king... did Jinho make a joke about his skin color at the start of the death-match? (After Yeonseung selected white for the coinflip.)

Piriwi
Feb 20, 2006

Teek posted:

This!

Lets please avoid mentioning any type of hints or "sly" outcome references about the next episode before it's subbed. Preferably it'd be nice if everyone also didn't discuss the next episode preview, but I'm not sure I'll get much buy in on that.

Yeah, any real tension was gone... Might have to start avoiding this thread after sundays unfortunately.

Kyunghoon isn't that stupid (at least, not more than the average player), but he is incredibly loose-lipped... no impulse control at all. I wasn't surprised at all when he just told the truth when asked, because that's how he has been behaving all the time. But he is hamming it up and editing can magnify it even more. I do think that he mentioned Sangmin on purpose, even though it would have been in his best interest to keep quiet.

Junseok is one to watch, fairly perceptive but also acts on it (unlike Yoohyun for example).

Dias posted:

Holy poo poo, this was one of the best episodes of the entire series so far.

This shifts the group dynamics a lot too. Dongmin came out of this smelling like roses, reclaiming the best social player throne he occupied for the entirety of season 3 to boot. SCISSORS is not gonna be an insta-pick for the deathmatch anymore either, and will continue to gently caress poo poo up if the preview is any indication. I would expect the HyunDong Express to pick up steam again, while Jinho starts relying on TITTAHGAWD for a clever play.

Underrated clever moments of the episode: Junseok reading the situation perfectly to save :allears: Jungmoon :allears:; Hyunmin being the first to figure out there was something fishy in R2; Kyungran trying to extinguish chaos with the only deathmatch lie.

Junseok might have caught on to Dongmin dealing with Sangmin. And I think that Hyunmin probably figured out the trick with the box as well, but just didn't tell anyone he didn't trust. That's why he was so quick to respond.

Piriwi fucked around with this message at 22:53 on Jul 15, 2015

Piriwi
Feb 20, 2006

Superrodan posted:

I think it's time for me to stop following The Genius on facebook.

Not really spoiler, more a comment on your post: A prior season you say? Hope the deathmatch is not Jinho against another player...

Piriwi
Feb 20, 2006
Well that Jinho preview from last week didn't pan out, he was extremely useless this game. It almost seemed as if he wanted to go to a death match.

The counter to the $1 strategy is for two players to team up, match their picks and have one player bet $5 and the other $1. For example, I wonder if Dongmin could have won the game if he had convinced Jinho to only bet $5 during the last two rounds. (EDIT: doing some rough calculations I think that in that particular scenario it wouldn't have worked, doing it only 3x isn't enough because the other competitors that are already ahead pointwise profit too much).

But Dongmin didn't even seem to realize that Hyunmin had already potentially lost the game by round 2, you'd think he should have picked up on Junseok doing the same strategy. The fact that a player like Yeonsung didn't even try to check his earnings should have also been suspicious. And the secret item used on mackerels was also fishy... After round 2 they could have easily checked if there were other players potentially spreading out their picks like they were.

Their problem wasn't greed, it was hubris by thinking they were the only real players in the game. Even though Hyunmin failed to follow the instructions, Dongmin still thought they would win.

Piriwi fucked around with this message at 12:27 on Jul 24, 2015

Piriwi
Feb 20, 2006

Tonfa posted:

You can't give the token to the elimination candidate.

Fair enough, got confused thinking about Jinho and how he expected to be last, in which case he might think it wouldn't matter. But if his team (Dongmin and Hyunmin) had known what was happening they would have also known Jinho probably wouldn't be in last place.
However, couldn't one of the two other teams have used this strategy in the final round to make one player more money at the expense of the other, without that sacrificing player necessarily becoming the elimination candidate? I'm not sure if they were aware of each others existence, but what tittygod said after the main match seemed to indicate that he was. The Dongmin/Hyunmin teamup should have been obvious at the very least.

Piriwi fucked around with this message at 13:31 on Jul 24, 2015

Piriwi
Feb 20, 2006
Regarding the main match, did Jungmoon even attempt to give false info about the numbers when it was her and Yoohyuns turn? She could easily tell everyone he would get more useful numbers (to the rebels) than he would actually get. Or was that their plan and did he just think they wouldn't be able to pull it off with only 2 rebels outside the prison? Or was her only plan to actually become king?

Anyway, Dongmin is scary.

Rarity posted:

Jungmoon memorised Pi "for fun"??? :stare:
Those memorisation tricks used for memorizing lists can be learned by anyone. She probably learned a method for numbers in general and then any number is doable.

Piriwi fucked around with this message at 20:26 on Jul 29, 2015

Piriwi
Feb 20, 2006
I don't think Jungmoon is a good player, but she could hardly be blamed for this loss. Why would someone even pretend to write? Why sit alone when you've never done that before? It's too bad the rebels were all fairly passive players. I do wonder to what degree cultural gender roles play a part in this... in other words if it would be acceptable for female players to be more proactive/aggressive/scheming in certain situations than we've seen so far.

It was unfortunate for Jungmoon to be on the rebel team, because knowing the digits pi would have been so much easier to use as a loyalist. Assuming she would have been smart enough to keep that knowledge to herself. It seemed she just couldn't help herself trying to impress Yeonseung, rather than that she deliberately told him because she planned to use it to her advantage.

What I also didn't quite understand was if Dongmin had to wait or not before his final action. He must have known Jungmoon was telling to truth, but they were all standing around for a while seemingly doing nothing. I got the impression from the way Jungmoon acted that she suspected that Dongmin was actually thinking about betraying her to save Kyungran. And that she was probably right about that. But he must have realized that he wouldn't be able to get away with it, since he had already stated that he was convinced that Kyungran was a rebel and he wouldn't be able to spin it into him suddenly no longer believing Jungmoon and believing Kyungran.

Piriwi
Feb 20, 2006

Propaganda Machine posted:

I kind of wonder when if who will have the balls to summon Dongmin to a death match, and when if how he'll even be without immunity and in a position for that to happen.

Junseok obviously.

Piriwi
Feb 20, 2006
Ahh finished part 1, part 2 not working yet...

Capsaicin posted:

New episode:

Jesus Christ, just from the intro, you can see that Kyungran is just so pissed at Jungmoon. Also, Dongmin is still the best.

Shouldn't be a spoiler, but there is some top tier Dongmin-Dealer nuna antics in this episode.

Dongmin is good, but I'm hoping his team utterly fails here. Dongmin is kind of a dick, Jinho is useless again, Kyungran is a hypocrite and Hyunmin is Hyunmin.

Going by the flash forward the best outcome for the 'betrayed' team would be that Jungmoon ends up as the elimination candidate and picks someone from Dongmins team because they didn't back her at the end. Assuming the flash forward is not a misdirect, but I don't see how that could be in this case.

Piriwi
Feb 20, 2006
Too bad about Yeonseung, Jungmoon deserved to get eliminated after her poo poo performance this week. She seems to have realized that nobody really wants to team up with her, but somehow ignores her one white knight Junseok. Last episode I could understand why she was desperate, but this episode it was just annoying... At least Yohwan begged with class.

Not surprised to see tittygod do well, his strength is that he seems to be incredible social. You can tell often after the deathmatch. He might not be in the Dongmin-in-group, but he does seem to be close to Hyunmin and Kyungran, which is probably why he ended up being a spy despite Dongmin being uncertain about him. Somehow he gets away with betraying his own team to help team Dongmin win, assists Junseok to win the deathmatch and still ends up receiving all the garnets from the loser. It's incredible really.

Preview:I think the reason why Kyungran was so upset last week is not just that she felt betrayed by Jungmoon, but mainly that it forced Dongmin to send her to the death match. She can't be openly angry at Dongmin for sticking to his principles, but she probably did feel very disappointed that he wouldn't save her regardless. So I'm not surprised to see her team up with Jinho and move away from Dongmin next week. She must be smart enough to realize that soon she will be the arm that is cut off...

Piriwi
Feb 20, 2006
I enjoyed this episode. The main match was slightly odd somehow, as if the players just didn't really know how to proceed. The go-to tactic we will make a single person last and somehow this also will require Dongmin/Hyunmin winning the game failed, probably because Jinho knew that if Kyungran didn't win she would likely end up in a deathmatch. But I think that in this game specifically that tactic would probably work quite well, because you have so much information on what the excluded players can have. I can sort of understand why Jinho didn't like it when it turned out like that in the end anyway, but Jungmoon had it coming. I wonder if tittygod would have picked Jungmoon even if Jinho hadn't talked to him.

Deathmatch was disappointing and slightly unfortunate for Jungmoon who would probably be good at most of them because she isn't an idiot... just not very good at the social aspect of the games. I do wonder what other players have practised memorization techniques. Definitely Hyunmin, Junseok most likely as well. Dongmin just has amazing memory as an innate ability, so he doesn't need to practice.

Also not really sure why they tried to keep it exciting at the end when it was clear tittygod was going to win the game. It's not the first time they edit it like that... it's always a bit weird because viewers know it's over, but they continue to use the tense music as if it's not.

Piriwi
Feb 20, 2006
It's just hard to make 12 good games where you don't end up with either vote for the winner/loser or hope luck is on your side today. Even if you manage to think of all the possible ways a game can play out, you might still end up with situations where players just bend the rules (like Sangmin did earlier in the season). I think the best games are those that have a strong social element, but where a minority or even a single player can still use some gametheory to avoid last place. And sometimes games that aren't that good still end up being fun to watch. Like that game where you could just cover every auction with the lowest bet. That could have turned out to be an extremely boring game (if every player just did the 1 bet only strategy in a pair of two to cover everything), but it was actually a very entertaining episode.

Also there is no chance that Kyungran and Junseok will team up next episode. She hates him. I'm also going to predict that it will be Junseoks episode. Because without Jungmoon he is very likely to end in the deathmatch one way or another. Yet if he loses he will definitely challenge a strong player, so people are going to be very careful. I think that's also the reason why in this episode Dongmin was hesitant to make Junseok last... because he knew that he would be at risk of being challenged to the deathmatch by Junseok. I wouldn't be surprised to see Dongmin cooperating more with Junseok next episode... just enough to avoid getting picked by Junseok but not enough to alienate Hyunmin, Kyungran and Jinho.

Piriwi fucked around with this message at 20:22 on Aug 14, 2015

Piriwi
Feb 20, 2006
Dongmin might exaggerating his feelings of 'being betrayed' just so he could get away with eliminating Jinho or Kyungran. If he had just turned on them without even saying stuff like that he might look even worse in the public eye.

Piriwi
Feb 20, 2006
The way the reveal of the hidden cube was edited was really weird. For a moment I thought the video had skipped. It was also strange how there was such limited competition over the lower numbers but instead players opted to go for higher ranges right from the start. Especially considering the presence of the hidden numbers made it much more risky.

Kyungran was the weakest player remaining and I didn't really understand why people thought she would reach the finals. At this point you aren't going to win most of these deathmatches without practising in advance. I think that's why tittygod felt confident enough not to take the win, there is no way he would have lost if he had been picked. In fact, it would have been an opportunity to show his skills again and reduce the chance if being picked for a deathmatch in the future.

Piriwi
Feb 20, 2006
Most boring episode so far. I'm never a fan of these episodes where they bring in other players that can play individually like that. Next week looks interesting.
I liked Junseok, but he was at his best earlier in the season when he was more antagonistic towards the other players. I think he might have been better off teaming up with a single guest and not revealing his choice to any of the actual players. At this point anything but winning would have probably resulted in him going to the death match anyway.

Piriwi
Feb 20, 2006
Because it's a simplified version, isn't it like an entirely different game anyway?

I'm assuming that all remaining players have practised so I don't expect it to be a free win for Hyunmin, should he end up having to play it.

Piriwi
Feb 20, 2006

Superrodan posted:

Yeah but with this show I expect a huge buildup and then a flashback to the guy saying to make Hyunmin lose and then a commercial break as they flip the card and then three talking heads about how his partner really let him down right as the moment happened to drive it in.

Instead, we got them mentioning it after Jinho said "Why did you give him that?" which is a valid question.
I agree completely. It's not like they didn't spend time on showing what happened, why Hyunmin won (garnets) and why Jinho lost. But the way it was edited (choice of music etc.) made it appear more low key than it actually was. I couldn't help but think how those scenes would have looked if it had been Sangmin making those moves. Hyunmin is pretty slippery.

It was funny to see as how the game went on they became more and more professional at opening the envelopes for the minigames.

Clocks posted:

I remember last time they played this, I also noticed you could see the face of the next card. I remember thinking that it seemed unfair that the cards were tilted towards one player because that was possible information they could use (in this case they were tilted towards Jinho - not sure how Kyunghoon pulled off peeking at it because it seemed to be facing away from him).
He just leaned over the table. You could see him do it one or twice. Jinho must have seen it, but he couldn't do much about it at that point.

He was somewhat lucky in the deathmatch, but he played well. Jinho was probably right when he said he was slightly better at the game, but Kyunghoon is very confident. He obviously tried to make Hyunmin last because he expected that Hyunmin wouldn't pick him for the deathmatch. But he wasn't afraid to play Jinho and he didn't fold under pressure after his mistake. And I liked it especially when he called Dongmins bluff early on in the game.

Piriwi
Feb 20, 2006
edit: double post

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Piriwi
Feb 20, 2006
Slightly disappointing, because it only went 2 games. Dongmin was just plain better at the first game and also had a slight advantage in items, Kyunghoon didn't have a good start at the second game and never fully recovered. Dongmin is definitely the best player, although it was somewhat unlike him to make that mistake at the end.... maybe he lost his concentration because he thought he had already won.