Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

MisterZimbu
Mar 13, 2006
Just finished marathon'ing through the first season and echoing the futile hopes for an American version. The main problem I had watching this was it took a long time to figure out who was who.

Seems like it could secure a cult following pretty easily and it'd be a really cheap show to produce, but it probably wouldn't be as good. Part of the appeal to the show is how lighthearted everyone is despite taking it seriously.

Another vote for deathmatches that are less influenced by the other players. When the other players participate, it's pretty much just voting someone out just like every other reality show. I'm okay with them giving a small advantage to the players, but not when it becomes outright impossible to win unless you have the majority of the people on your side (like RPS or Quattro to a lesser extent).

MisterZimbu fucked around with this message at 01:44 on Dec 22, 2013

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

MisterZimbu
Mar 13, 2006

Zythrst posted:

Am I the only one that thinks Gyul is too strong in the Hap/Gyul game? I honestly think it should only be worth one point.

When it was in the Series 1 Finale I thought so, but then they added the six round limit this time around so I think that balances it out.

MisterZimbu
Mar 13, 2006

Nexal posted:

Yeah, we could get a goon game going here.

The play by post subforum runs Survivor and Big Brother games. An entire playthrough of The Genius could be awesome too.

MisterZimbu
Mar 13, 2006
I don't think Jinho's strategy for the 5:5 game was particular clever, although that's mainly because his strategy was the first thing I thought of, and if I came up with it, then it can't be possibly be clever.

Femur posted:

Honestly, I thought it was cheating because wasn't one of the rules no requests to the guests? I am obviously wrong since he won, but I definitely thought that wasn't an option. I guess it's not a request if you just do it?

His information wasn't really a "request", though; it was new valid information about the guests that wasn't there before. He wasn't asking them to lie and say that they touched hands. He actually touched hands, and reinforced it verbally so they would remember it.

MisterZimbu
Mar 13, 2006
At work, I just had a revelation on how to solve a programming problem I was having trouble with.

Extreme Ways started playing on Pandora.

MisterZimbu
Mar 13, 2006
Survivor needs to steal the fake hidden idol that comes with the real immunity idol immediately.

MisterZimbu
Mar 13, 2006
Not done with the episode yet (gotta go back to work), but drat that twist was extremely predictable. Called it pretty much when I saw the game.

MisterZimbu
Mar 13, 2006

Mob posted:

During the week-long wait for this episode I watched the first ep of Running Man and then I watched 29 more.

Not sure how to watch those anymore :(... I watched the first episode of Running Man when the thread was made but forgot about the rest. Now all the stream links in that thread are broken.

MisterZimbu
Mar 13, 2006
I'm still holding out for a Jinho win this season.

MisterZimbu
Mar 13, 2006
Didn't Yohwan have the truth item in game 2? Did he not use it? I was expecting a Moby Moment when Sangmin eliminated all the numbers, where he would be wrong because Yohwan told the truth during one of the random questions near the middle.

Not a fan of Quattro for game 3 - it's a little too luck and social-based rather than a game of strategy and logic like the finale games should be. Still a fantastic finale though. Hope that Truth Detector comes back as a deathmatch in season 3 like Gyul Hap did this season.

edit: Junghyun's monologue at the start was great. Junghyun is great.

MisterZimbu fucked around with this message at 04:57 on Feb 27, 2014

MisterZimbu
Mar 13, 2006

Tonfa posted:

It only negates the penalty of having to reveal a number. Your opponent would still get to know the item was used up = you told the truth

Ah, that's a pretty lame item then. I thought that it would prevent the alarm from going off once entirely.

MisterZimbu
Mar 13, 2006
In good news, from what I can tell it looks like The Genius format has been sold to The Netherlands:

http://www.bothersbar.co.uk/?p=7937

Be pretty cool if the show could get picked up in more countries.

MisterZimbu
Mar 13, 2006

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nBB2bPwKWVg

MisterZimbu
Mar 13, 2006
First correct answer for me, though my logic was wrong.

When Jang pulled the secretary aside on the CCTV I thought she was bribing the secretary to kill the victim. I thought the lighter came from Jang, who got it from the same club that she kept taking the other guy to.

Thought it was funny the detective got it wrong, but not surprising. It's not like during his real cases there's producers writing a story where everyone's suspicious and planting red herrings trying to point the target on 5 other people.

MisterZimbu
Mar 13, 2006
Season 3 needs to start already.

Also it needs Junghyun.

MisterZimbu
Mar 13, 2006

Zythrst posted:

So a question if anybody here knows, but is being a Dealer a way more prestigious/complicated job in Korea then other places?

In fairness, from the outside looking in, being a dealer (especially a poker dealer) is really goddamn complicated.

Still trying to figure out how these people are able deal with the clusterfuck that is Low Limit Omaha H/L between figuring out which 7 players won and how to split the pot 7 ways. My head would explode.

MisterZimbu
Mar 13, 2006
I'm hoping that the death match being in a sealed envelope and kept in a safe will come into play somehow later.

Like there's a secret deathmatch envelope hidden somewhere on the set that would offer a huge advantage to one person if they can figure out how to slip it into the safe.

MisterZimbu
Mar 13, 2006

Zythrst posted:

You know this actually isn't true, I've been re-watching season 1 and they mention it in the first episode. I guess they are just emphasizing this aspect now.

I'm guessing it was always there (they do mention it explicitly in season 1), but it has a concrete penalty now of an automatic last place.

It'd be funny if someone gamed that rule in true The Genius fashion - something like they knew they weren't going to win the main game, and the main alliance will certainly pick them for the deathmatch, so they "steal" something to get the automatic last place so they can pick their opponent. Or forcing themselves into the deathmatch against a weak player so they can get their 3rd black garnet.

MisterZimbu
Mar 13, 2006
Fantastic episode. Loving the season so far.

I found it odd that, in the beginning of the episode they still said you are playing for a total prize of $13,000 (or whatever the total garnet count was). I wonder what the twist is going to be that's going to put the garnets back in play.

MisterZimbu
Mar 13, 2006
Dear lord this episode is confusing :psyduck:

Random Stranger posted:

That sounds like a great idea until the German Genius is all auctions.

Every death match is a 500 hour long war game.

MisterZimbu
Mar 13, 2006

Fast Luck posted:

Kang Yongsuk was going to survive btw, he just kept asking people to give him stuff and they'd do it like they were helpless to refuse him. The only reason they got him is because Ahyoung did the thing after the smart guy figured out the 1 card weakness that Jump had.

Come to think of it, going first is a really big disadvantage in B&W2 isn't it? I mean, if you play <10, it shows as black and they can take the point with a 10, which, even if you played a zero, they'll gladly do. Play a 20 or whatever and it knocks your status bar down and they can play a zero to really slam you (that's the worst option, I think). Play something in between 10 and the next level of the meter and they can play 21(?) and win. You basically start off behind.

Write down "00", which is a two digit number and will therefore show up as white.

MisterZimbu
Mar 13, 2006
Disappointed that they agreed not to do the last Black Mission; I *really* wanted to see what the Math mission was.

Also, did they ever say for sure what happens to the Black Garnets, or was it just all the players speculating that they're removed from the game entirely?

MisterZimbu
Mar 13, 2006
*takes sip*

IT'S WATER!

SOMEBODY GIVE ME THE ANTIDOTE!

Zombie Game was awesome.

Bonus Sangmin points: immediately picking out who the two zombies were before the game even started.

Random Stranger posted:

If they continue to use black garnets (they might come up with another metagaming gimmick, after all), then they should continue to let people use them as game currency, just like the regular garnets.

Speaking of which, there hasn't been a lot of "pay some garnets for an advantage" this season. There was that big one in the stock market, of course, but I can't think of any others...

In general, this season seems "off". Ignoring the obvious lack of Extreme Ways, there also seems to be a lot less "2 hours later" moments as well.

The editing seems to be more linear this time around as well; there seem to be less surprising moments. One of the best aspects of the first couple seasons was that the episodes were less predictable. You would be lead in one direction for the first 45 minutes only for some blindside to happen. Then you see all the scheming that took place behind the scenes to get there. Contrast that to something like Survivor where the episodes are so formulaic that you almost know with certainty who's getting voted out within the first 10 minutes of the episode.

I'm not sure if that's due to a new editing staff handling the show, or because they seem to have casted fewer "schemers" than previous seasons.

MisterZimbu fucked around with this message at 20:40 on Dec 3, 2014

MisterZimbu
Mar 13, 2006
No Extreme Ways = Bad season

(S3 was fun, best deathmatches of the three)

MisterZimbu
Mar 13, 2006

Suspicious Dish posted:

double-sided poker and metagaming-rock-paper-scissors were the worst ideas they ever thought of

Yeah but just about every S1 deathmatch was either a popularity contest or just terrible on its own. I'd rather watch double-sided poker or betting RPS than Tactical Yutnori / Winning Streak / The Indian Poker Variant Where the Peanut Gallery Chooses Who Wins Each Hand / That stupid picture game.

MisterZimbu
Mar 13, 2006
Crime Scene S2E9 is up, by the way.

I got it right. I'm surprised no one picked up on the fact that Jinho was outside pretending to listen to music so he could hear the body fall. But one thing I didn't understand was if the burner was on Jinho's balcony, wouldn't there still be rope attached to the victim?

Also, glad to see that Bumdi's on our side. #ExtremeWays

MisterZimbu
Mar 13, 2006

thehandtruck posted:

Oh man this show is incredible. Skipped season 1 and 2 and just jumped into s3 and while the main games for ep1 and ep2 were a little too dense/long the death matches are really interesting. Especially the Rock Paper Scissor one where you have to factor in who gave what information to your opponent. Really interesting and tense. Gonna start on the next ep (middle-race) which looks great too.

also all koreans under 40 look 16

edit: Ya this ep rules

When you get a chance go back and watch Season 1, which is phenomenal (besides the deathmatches, which are all pretty bad).

MisterZimbu
Mar 13, 2006

Suspicious Dish posted:

It's not staged as far as we're aware, but the opening credits do have "WRITER", so...

Literally all reality game shows ever have "writers".

They're the people that take the 4 hours of game footage from the perspective of 13 different people and identify an actual story that fits into a 60 minute storyline for TV.

Not to say that producer intervention doesn't go on.

MisterZimbu
Mar 13, 2006
It's Tuesday, and there's 15 new posts in The Genius thread! That can only mean one thing!

...oh :smith:

Regarding the US version, it's really just a matter of casting the right people. If you go with normal Americans, I'm guessing you'd be able to find 13 who are more happy-go-lucky fun contestants rather than cutthroat horrible people. King of the Nerds was more of a upbeat show than a cutthroat competition, and it worked, so the people are out there. It's just a matter of finding them. If you go the celebrity route I'm guessing it wouldn't be difficult to find the right people; Penn Gillette, Ken Jennings, etc. would probably fit right into the atmosphere the show should go for. I don't think casting is the real issue.

To me, the potential issues of a US version would be:
  • Target audience - This isn't going to be a gigantic mainstream show in the US in the vein of Survivor, Big Brother, The Apprentice, etc. I don't see the big networks buying into it at all, though I could see some of the bigger cable channels (TBS, etc) trying it out
  • Filming Schedule - Someone brought up the good point in a prior "US Genius" discussion that the Korean version films once a week, but with such a geographically larger country like the US that would be a problem. Whereas if it's all filmed in one shot, I could see that as being incredibly taxing on the producers and players.
  • Soundtrack - So much of the charm of the show is the atmosphere coming from the soundtrack. I don't think the same thing would work on US TV.

Argue posted:

some random MSNBC anchor

Brian Williams. He seems to have a sense of humor and is a known liar

MisterZimbu fucked around with this message at 17:32 on Jul 7, 2015

MisterZimbu
Mar 13, 2006

The REAL Goobusters posted:

There will never be a good western/international version of The Genius.

Correct.

The REAL Goobusters posted:

Its impossible, I am sorry.

Incorrect. Which is why we dream.

MisterZimbu
Mar 13, 2006
Before today, and during the Main Match, I was inspired and amused by Dongmin. After the Death Match, I am now terrified of Dongmin.

Fantastic episode.

CommaToes posted:

Ep 04x02: Tactical Yutinori is a bad game, but I guess it's probably more fun to watch for Koreans who grew up with the game. This was a pretty fun to watch one, though. AND my theory from last episode is correct. There was no Black and White in the choices so once they're played, they're not available again. No more Tac Yut!

My issue with it isn't from the game itself, just that it's impossible for western viewers to understand. When the American version inevitably comes out and the game is replaced with Tactical Pop-o-Matic Trouble(TM), I think it would work a lot better.

I'm curious what would have happened if Tactical Yutnori was the Death Match with 3 people left, or what will happen when Quattro is the Death Match with 3-6 players left. Would the missing players be replaced by Dealer Nuna?

Also, gently caress Quattro.

MisterZimbu fucked around with this message at 14:25 on Jul 9, 2015

MisterZimbu
Mar 13, 2006

Suspicious Dish posted:

except for the part where they can't, because big alliances are built to fail. it's why hyunmin couldn't steamroll everyone to victory.

But that's a different problem to solve because not everyone will make the same choices. Engineer a four-way tie for second, and everybody is guaranteed at least four garnets.

Of course that would run counter to the strategies of trying to make your alliance entirely safe at that point.

Speaking of garnets, did anyone track garnet counts between episodes? Are they doing garnet trading before the Death Match off screen like in S3, or have the eliminated players' garnets so far been removed from the game?

MisterZimbu fucked around with this message at 19:48 on Jul 9, 2015

MisterZimbu
Mar 13, 2006

Soylentbits posted:

I would like credit for the idea if you sell the app to Hasbro and become ultra rich.

Honestly we should try to add more strategy to all classic board games. I've been disappointed in Clue's execution for forever.

Today's death match is:

Tactical Candy Land

The two death match players will each pick Red, Green, or Blue. The result of combining those colors is where the player will land, and the player will move to the closest square of that color (regardless of whether it's in front of or behind them). Every Do is a Back Do.

MisterZimbu fucked around with this message at 21:19 on Jul 15, 2015

MisterZimbu
Mar 13, 2006
Only halfway through S4E3, and this is the best goddamn show ever.

MisterZimbu
Mar 13, 2006
I think the the #1 thing that can attest to the quality of this season so far is that not a single person has complained about the lack of Extreme Ways (outside of Jinho's intro).

MisterZimbu
Mar 13, 2006

the talent deficit posted:

Look for seasons one and two of The Mole. It's basically American Genius.

I wouldn't go that far, but it's a very smart show and awesome to boot.

Plus that "three bedrooms" challenge is one of my favorite challenges on a show ever.

MisterZimbu
Mar 13, 2006

Main game itself mechanically was fine, even if you're salty about how it all played out.

I like the Pi pattern; it was just played wrong by Jungmoon. If she doesn't reveal all the numbers ahead of time, it because a lot easier for the rebels to subtlely increase the counts. To those pushing for her to start engineering numbers to help the rebels win, there's not much opportunity to do that; the numbers she reads don't magically appear. She would be found out immediately in that case.

It would have been nice though if there were a way the rebels could have actually communicated.

I picked up on Jungmoon being a rebel immediately once she tried using the Pi digits to try to become King.

I was hoping Jungmoon could have done something to secure her safety once she betrayed. "If you're not going to put me up at the end, give me your garnets, and I'll give them back to you after the game"

Likewise, I picked up at Kyungran at the end, and I was surprised no one else did (or they didn't show it). There were two tells for me-
1. Once the deal was made, nobody on the "outside" was petitioning for them to stick to the deal instead of putting Jungmoon in. If there was a rebel still outside, they would almost certainly be pushing as hard as possible to keep Jungmoon out.
2. Kyungran was pushing way too hard to get out as well; if she were a loyalist and she remains in jail, what's the harm? She loses the game, but she likely wouldn't be picked, whereas if she's a rebel, she's definitely going to the death match. A loyalist wouldn't be pushing so hard to get out of jail.

Overall, this episode showed everybody's playing the game, in contrast to every other season. And that's wonderful.

Still was a great episode even if it's not as great as the earlier episodes this season. It was far better than the bad/mediocre episodes of S1/2/3 ever were.

MisterZimbu
Mar 13, 2006

Suspicious Dish posted:

It's a new page everyone, you don't have to spoiler tag it up anymore.

Even though I've seen the episode now, I disagree with this at this point; the thread moves too fast nowadays. The episode hasn't even been up for a day yet.

MisterZimbu
Mar 13, 2006

Suspicious Dish posted:

You forgot about double-sided poker.

Quattro's still in there, too.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

MisterZimbu
Mar 13, 2006
One other awesome thing about the episode that hasn't been mentioned yet - Dealer-nuna completely putting Dongmin in his place in the dealer room; not once, but twice.