Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Leatherhead
Jul 3, 2006

For the Angel of Death spread his wings on the blast,
And breathed in the face of the foe as he passed;
And the eyes of the sleepers waxed deadly and chill,
And their hearts but once heaved, and for ever grew still

I'd like to thank this thread for introducing me to the show. Over the past week I've binged through all the episodes, and the only other reality/game show I've ever enjoyed like this is 'Solitary' (although the two could hardly be more dissimilar).

I definitely enjoyed Season One more, but that only makes sense since the three finalists were my favorites the whole time. This time around I guess I'm rooting for Sangmin, because even though he's an utter bastard, everyone I cared about being dicked over is already gone. I guess I'd also be okay with Jyunghang somehow pulling this off or at a stretch Yooyoung, since that would at least help to make up for the other girls all getting picked off in the first five episodes.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Leatherhead
Jul 3, 2006

Shakugan posted:

The funny thing is that we could get an English version, because it seems like the UK has a "broadcaster culture" similar to Korea, with a bunch of B/C-list celebrities who are quite smart and jovial with one another. Stephen Fry, David Mitchell and Bill Bailey would be awesome contestants, for example.

Someone should tweet Stephen Fry (does he have a twitter?) about this show. It seems like something he'd get behind.
Off the top of my head, I'd say give me:
Stephen Fry
David Mitchell
Brian Cox
Richard Ayoade
Victoria Coren
Gabby Logan
Charlie Brooker
Sue Perkins
Ken Livingstone
Claudia Winkleman
Shappi Khorsandi
Someone like Sean Locke or Jimmy Carr to fill the acerbic mockery slot
A young entertainer like Sungkyu or Jiwon to surprise everyone by getting into the final 4.

Someone actually from the UK could probably put together a more diverse list.

Leatherhead
Jul 3, 2006

MoPZiG posted:

...but all those UK panel shows are staged and pre-scripted to death. You really think those dowdy folk can think on their feet?

Well that's why I tried to pick people who've exhibited valuable skills in the outside world while still being entertaining on TV. Brian Cox, for instance, works on the collider at CERN, and Victoria Coren was a professional poker player. Ken Livingstone was mayor of London. Besides, the actual Genius selected plenty of people who's genius was 'being charismatic'.

Leatherhead
Jul 3, 2006

Fantastic episode. I'm rooting for Junghyun to go all the way now, and I'm optimistic about next episode, since Sangmin gets weaker with fewer contestants to pit against each other, and Jyunghyun seems like he's in a better place to capitalize on good will from past contestants. If Yohwan wins this season somehow, it'll be the biggest embarrassment.

Leatherhead
Jul 3, 2006

While it's debatable how much control either one had over it, Sangmin seems to be in a much worse position than Jinho was this time last season, as the two other remaining contestants are both players who do best at one-on-one deathmatches. Jinho was left with Sangmin and Kyungrang, both players who thrived on working in large groups, and couldn't really compete with him one-on-one.

Leatherhead
Jul 3, 2006

Man if I could change one thing about this season it'd be for Yoonsun to have beaten Yohwan in laser-chess back in episode 5.

Leatherhead
Jul 3, 2006

I think I just checked for the episode for like the tenth time today. If you'd told me a month ago that my most highly anticipated program would soon be a Korean game show,I would have laughed in your face.

Also, sorry to everyone who saw there was a new post and clicked here expecting that the episode was up.

Leatherhead
Jul 3, 2006

comedyblissoption posted:

It's the fault of Yowhan and Jhungyun not considering the possibility that someone on their team would be broadcasting their team's rolls and not doing something about it until it was too late or analyzing every single little gesture their teammates do. The structure of the game should make players very paranoid that the teammates will betray.

Yeah I was really hoping when Jhungyun wised up and made the other team go first that it was the start of a comeback, but alas. Sangmin better loving win, for the integrity of the show.

I hope Jyunghun comes back next season; it's nice having someone playing the games honestly, and I think with everyone knowing him he'd be able to build a good team from the start.

Leatherhead
Jul 3, 2006

I was getting pretty upset with Henry towards the end, but then he ended up being right...
Looks like Henry's sticking around and they're bringing in a seventh guest contestant next week? Maybe they realized it was too hard to get a consensus with only 5 people who aren't the murderer.

Leatherhead
Jul 3, 2006

CHiRAL posted:

I think it was another idol and Henry wasn't there?

Oh so they're replacing Henry and bringing in another guy? There's definitely 7 next week, unless one is just a witness and not a contestant?

Leatherhead
Jul 3, 2006

Honestly the whole button thing seemed so contrived that I thought John had fabricated it, and it convinced me he was somehow the killer despite any real evidence. I assumed he'd just pulled a button off his own clothes and 'found it' in the water. I guess that would be against the rules, though?

That's actually one thing this case did way better than the first: make it clear how much information is provided to the suspects on their character. With the first case I had a hard time judging anyone's testimony because I was never sure if they were just improvising responses without any real basis.

Leatherhead
Jul 3, 2006

So if Lim Bang Geul is leaving, who gets her gold? She and Jinho were tied for first.

Also, I really like Park Ji Yoon, especially how she and Jinho have recognized each others' competency and teamed up. I'd love to see her on the Genius next season.

Gyre posted:

I just looked this guy up and apparently he was expelled from his party for making sexually harassing remarks at a student dinner. Really, Crime Scene?

Yeah, what the hell? He does not have a flattering wikipedia page; apparently he's some sort of South Korean Roger Stone.

Leatherhead
Jul 3, 2006

Superrodan posted:

I had actually suspected that the reason they showed how dark it was served the purpose to imply that the murderer couldn't see and murdered the wrong prisoner. I thought the gangster was the real target and they knocked him out and killed the subordinate in the confusion. I think it was more interesting the way it went with the crayon, however.

Same. This is why I was convinced it was the larcenist; she kept saying that the boss had put the liquor in her cell, so I figured she had meant to kill him.

Leatherhead
Jul 3, 2006

Hat Thoughts posted:

Every time I see a new post in this thread I think the new episode is up, now I'm part of the problem.

It is now!

Leatherhead
Jul 3, 2006

I think it's kind of a side effect of the shortened format that it seemed 'too easy'. They didn't find the definitive evidence until the one-on-one interrogations, which would have been towards the end of the Part-two episode with the old format.

Leatherhead
Jul 3, 2006

Tonfa posted:

Rewatched The Genius S2E1, Hweejong's single-episode arc is so beautiful.

I'd really like them to bring him back for Season 3. He was a good player who made a mistake in picking his allies for the game, and in assuming everyone would have the same focus on winning above all else. He still only lost the death match by the dumb luck of Doohee having the one Quatro card necessary to do him in. I'd be interested in how he approached the game the second time around.

Leatherhead
Jul 3, 2006

Corn Thongs posted:

I actually remembered him being a really bad player :confused: the predators shot themselves in the foot by allying together and his only method of winning was being a dick and trying to order the mouse role around, which obviously backfired.

Not quite; he told the mouse what to do before the game even started, since him winning was her victory condition. She avoided him the whole game because she'd chosen to intentionally lose in order to show her loyalty to Jinho. Even then he might have been ok if Jiwon hadn't told the other surviving prey animal to meet him there and made both of them invulnerable.

And yeah, he shouldn't have allied with the other predators, but they'd teamed up during the rehearsal before they pulled their roles for the actual game. Dude was just trying to make friends.

Symbolic Butt posted:

I kinda want him to be back just because his arrogance was hilarious to watch.

Alternatively if he actually comes back as a nicer dude it'd be a cool thing too. :shobon:

He was hilariously arrogant, and I was definitely glad he was the one to go in the first episode, but he wasn't dumb, he played Quatro exactly as he should, and I think in the long run the season could have used another non-broadcaster schemer. Also, in his exit interview he talks about how he's going to look like an rear end in a top hat now, so he'll take ti as a lesson to be more humble. I'd like to see if he can stick with that.

Leatherhead
Jul 3, 2006

You know, at first I was hoping Kang Yongseok would be the first to go, just because he's smug on Crime Scene and also apparently kind of a creep. But looking back over the cast, I'm hoping it'll be one of Oh Hyunmin or Kim Yoohyun because I keep mixing them up.

Leatherhead fucked around with this message at 08:35 on Oct 2, 2014

Leatherhead
Jul 3, 2006

Random Stranger posted:

Interesting. My immediate reaction is that it would be better to finish the race to the bottom immediately and reap the early income rather than try to play for first. Unless you're in a group with players following the same strategy, you'd get on average 9000 out of the first round, then diminishing returns on each subsequent round. Your minimum possible income with this strategy is 8000, but that's only if every other player you interact with uses the exact same strategy. In a group this large I suspect that there will be at least one player scoring lower than that, and using the obfuscation abilities properly and a little bit of backstabbing means that you might be able to get the maximum potential income from this strategy two rounds in a row. I suspect that would put you firmly in the middle of the pack for the final tallies.

I wonder if you can trade and have two of the same fruit. If you and another player with one of the four fruits agree to do this, you can get a cartel going that guarantees 10,000 income for at least that round.

I'm looking forward to see how this plays out with these guys.

That was my thinking as well, but since that strategy involves kind of screwing over the other players, I think it makes you a very likely pick for the deathmatch (especially in the first episode where it's all but random), so you'd either have to ensure you were first, which is unlikely, or try and arrange it so two people tied for last, which is difficult.

Leatherhead
Jul 3, 2006

I'm going to fly in the face of popular opinion and say that not only am I glad they didn't bust out Extreme Ways without a good reason, but that Mi Mi Mi is the best new addition to the soundtrack.

I'm definitely rooting for Hweejong, Dongmin and Yoohyun so far. I can't say why, but Hyunmin rubs me the wrong way.

And I'm curious to see whether Yeonjoo comes out of the woodwork as the game goes on, or just gets kind of brushed aside and off the show early on.

Leatherhead
Jul 3, 2006

Xoidanor posted:

Quick had the exact same weakness though, delete could have sent him flying forwards from turn 1.

Quick at least had the ability to move backwards. Although with Jump's 0 card and ability to refresh at 2 cards I think it could have actually been a nice flexible role if its player wasn't being targeted specifically for elimination.

As far as the black garnets go, does Yeonsung have two now, or did Yangsuk's leave the game with him? I hope it's the former, I had a lot of sympathy for Yeonsung and I'd like to see him try and revenge himself on Hyunmin, who I still dislike.

Leatherhead
Jul 3, 2006

We all agree it's ridiculous that Yeonjoo is still around though right?

Leatherhead
Jul 3, 2006

Hat Thoughts posted:

Yeonjoo doesn't seem like she's great at the games but I hope she lasts because she's got a personality, bump off the guy who survived the deathmatch who's name I don't even remember or Ahyoung if you want to get rid of someone.

Junghoon and Jongbeom need to go too. I'm sad they're around when we lost an interesting player like Hweejong. Don't get me wrong, I don't dislike Yeonjoo- I'm just amazed she's doing so well when she doesn't seem to understand half the games, and started crying when someone actually asked her to make a decision. Considering her garnet count, and the fact that she hasn't made any enemies, she's actually doing better than pretty much anyone else. I can only hope that she turns out to be invincible in the deathmatches, like Jhunghyun last season.

Leatherhead
Jul 3, 2006

I'll acknowledge that Hyunmin and Dongmin are the best players out there, but I realllly hope it doesn't come down to the two of them in the end because it means a boring 6 episodes of them dominating the game while everyone else gets picked off.

Of the two, I'd like to see Hyunmin go (I haven't liked him since the first episode). He's really overconfident and hopefully someone will backstab him when he's not expecting it.

I think if Yoohyun can survive the next couple of episodes, he's going to be a force to be reckoned with. My read on him is that he's very good at playing the games individually, but keeps getting outdone because Dongmin/Hyunmin are better at getting other people to break the games in their favor. Her certainly looked this episode like he wanted to strangle Hyunmin, so I'm hoping he can organize a coup of some kind.

And I hope Ahyoung is one of the last to go because (Like everyone else apparently) I'm just completely enamored with her.

E: Yeah, my immediate guess for the secret information was a market crash. It just seemed to be on-theme and we hadn't see one yet.

Leatherhead
Jul 3, 2006

Tonfa posted:

Yoohyun's not that impressive so far beyond his poker skills. He needs to be way more proactive - he tends to go "oh poo poo I need to do something about Hyunmin" about an hour after the victory has already been sealed.

I think some of that is down to editing; outside of Jury he's never come close to losing a game, but his play isn't very spectacular. In several episodes now he's quietly come in just behind Hyunmin and Dongmin basically on his own strength, but keeps getting outdone by cooperative and social play from the other two. I think if he survives to the point where teamwork starts taking a back seat to individual play, he'll be very hard to get rid of, in much the same way Yohwan was, but without Yohwan's self-destructive streak.

Leatherhead
Jul 3, 2006

After this episode I'm ready to admit that Hyungmin and Dongmin are just the best players and probably deserve to go to the final together. On the other hand, part of me wants Yeonseung and Ahyoung to end up there instead and just spend the entire 90 minutes bashfully apologizing to each other for being an inconvenience.

I was very disappointed that Jongbeom screwed up his black mission, not only because I was able to do it* but because he was starting to emerge as an actually interesting player. Oh well. I agree with the above poster who missed the more active games. This season most games have seemed like little more than a backdrop to the personal politicking of the players, which makes the whole show seem much more like any other reality program than it has in the past.

*I used the first ten seconds to create a dumb mnemonic device for the first letters of the words, and the next twenty seconds to remember what words the letters stood for, disassociated from the order. When the dealer laid out the cards I was able to name them all.

Leatherhead
Jul 3, 2006

Capsaicin posted:

I think my favorite small thing about this show is how at the beginning of every episode, the music builds and builds before the credits. That's just really good blood-pumping editing.

Agreed. I always eagerly anticipate what line they'll use as the exclamation before the intro kicks in. As the seasons go on you can usually see players trying to set themselves up for it with big declarative statements.

Leatherhead
Jul 3, 2006

I disagree that 'Copy' is necessarily overpowered. Because it can't copy the same piece twice in a row, it can't establish any repetitive strategies that cards like Gravity, Delete, etc. can. I do think it's the most independent piece though, which made it a great choice for Yeonseung.

I loved this episode, and I'm definitely rooting for Mentality King to take it all. I'm also glad to see at least one of the women make it through.

As for next week, I really want to see Sangmin vs Dongmin and Jinho vs Hyunmin.

Leatherhead
Jul 3, 2006

When Doohee is informed that his token of immortality is a fake and Sangmin just loving loses it laughing is up there with my favorite moments for the entire series. It's a shame about all the other bullshit that happens to Doohee that episode, because quadruple-crossing the guy who triple-crossed you about double-crossing his ally is like the most Genius thing ever, and it gets overshadowed.

MisterZimbu posted:

In general, this season seems "off"...
I'm not sure if that's due to a new editing staff handling the show, or because they seem to have casted fewer "schemers" than previous seasons.
I agree. I'm still enjoying it but it seems much more straightforward and the games have been less memorable. I chalk it up in part to all the backlash against season 2 players; everyone except Dongmin this season (oh and Kyunghoon I guess) seems paralytically afraid of crossing anyone.

Leatherhead fucked around with this message at 20:48 on Dec 3, 2014

Leatherhead
Jul 3, 2006

Running With Spoons posted:

Actually, is there a way to beat a player who starts
o==
==o
Where o are empty spaces?

I think the starting player can always respond to any move by making sure the board always has two "triangles" open like after the first move.

For example, in the simplest example, it goes :
1:
o==
==o
2:
o==\
==oo
3:
o==\
===/
4:
===\
===/
5:
/===\
\===/
Win!
You're allowed to put down three tiles in a turn, so play 4 would be

/===\
\===/

Win

Leatherhead
Jul 3, 2006

Give me Park Jiyoon from Crime Scene, damnit!

Running With Spoons posted:

The 3 tiles you put down have to be in a straight line.
But anyway, my solution doesn't work.

Thanks, I actually missed this. I interpreted "in a line" as just "contiguous".

Leatherhead
Jul 3, 2006

I was really rooting for Yeonseung, but I have to admit that the two players going to the finals probably deserve to be there. That elimination interview though, drat. Is it just me or has the show been way sadder this season?

Leatherhead
Jul 3, 2006

Elite posted:

Completely agree with all of this. Sangmin started out being actively distrusted by EVERYONE, but somehow manoeuvred himself to be the main player of a super dominant alliance without anybody even noticing. He did spend the latter half of the season just sitting back waiting to win, but he was able to do that because of the setup work he had done and evidently his strategy worked.

And yeah the fake immunity idol trick required zero creativity from Sangmin, but still he sold the hell out of his offer. The plan wasn't impressive but the performance was.

And then he gave the token to Yohwan, helping to ensure his finals match would be against someone he'd successfully beaten every step of the way before.

Max posted:

I think it was a little crazy how many times Junghyun kept correctly pointing out that they really need to make Sangmin lose so that he would use the idol, and then watch as the episode unfolded with everyone falling over themselves to do the exact opposite.

I really wish it had been Junghyun in the finals, not Yohwan. The most honest player in Genius history makes a better foil for the most duplicitous than Yohwan's desperate spineless improvisation.

Leatherhead
Jul 3, 2006

I'm not down on the death match. Kyungran outplayed him up to that point, and since he was counting cards he could have held back to account for a tie. It's his bad bet that made the game come down to a coin flip, not like when Jiwon just did it off the top of the game.

As far as the main match goes Jungmoon really screwed the pooch on this one. There was no reason for her to give out that much of pi. Sure, it made her look trustworthy at first, but they don't need her identity to win, and it meant the loyalists were able to keep the numbers so low Yoohyun couldn't make the big move he needed to. I was ok with her betrayal when I thought Kyungran might not be a rebel and it was a double-play. Once it turned out Jungmoon was just protecting herself...she really botched this game for her team. I hope Kyungran will be gunning for her in the future.

Leatherhead
Jul 3, 2006

He rightfully lost the deathmatch, but man did Yeonseung get dicked over in that main game. I thought he was safe when he had 7 at the end, and was very surprised. When there are two people tied for last place, don't they usually get forced into the death match together?

Leatherhead
Jul 3, 2006

Man, while I'm sad to see Kyungran go, it's going to be a lot of fun now that all the ~honorable~ players are gone. Yeonsung and Jyunghun were two of my favorites as well, but it'll be great watching 5 brutal players tear each other to shreds. As long as the finals isn't Dongmin and Hyunmin again I'll be happy with any arrangement.

Hoping to see either a Jinho OG victory or a Kyunghoon win for the narrative.

Leatherhead
Jul 3, 2006

[quote="13/f/cali" post="""]In fact, during season 2, Yohwan decided he was sick of the rehearsal game and just started taking number after number to get it to end.
[/quote]

God that's right- weren't there a couple times people tanked the rehearsal so the other players couldn't practice? Season 2 was so mean-spirited.

Leatherhead
Jul 3, 2006

Anyone else trying to predict who will support who in the final? My guesses are
D: Junghyun, Yoonsun, Jungmoon, Kyungran, Jinho
K: Yohwan, Sangmin, Yoohyun, Yeonseung, Junseok

And then I have no idea for Hyunmin. Dongmin will get the prize for most garnets (1 to 0) so I guess Hyunmin will try to even it out by going team Titty? I think Yeonseung could also end up supporting Dongmin if he got mad after watching the broadcast.

Leatherhead
Jul 3, 2006

GuavaMoment posted:

Easily the most epic game of ring toss I've ever seen. 10/10 would listen to Suicide Squad soundtrack again.

The narrative that they were building up that she was going to clown everyone in the physical game was great, shame it didn't happen. So agreed, MJ is great.

It was very satisfying to see her get that one guy though. I really enjoyed this, definitely a mashup of The Genius and Survivor. I think the overall design isn't quite as sharp as Genius, but the large number of people and the balance of inter-team/intra-team conflict definitely makes it compelling. Anyone who likes the Genius should at least keep with it up through the main game.

I don't know if the editing is making for much more clear-cut villains in this, or if because it's drawn from 'everyday people' some of them are just assholes. I'm in though. Will discussion live in this thread like Crime Scene's or should it get it's own?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Leatherhead
Jul 3, 2006

I think I can at least differentiate all of the men now, and some of the more idiosyncratic women like Insun, MJ, the 29-year-old from Madong, and Jiwon. But then there's a homogeneous clump of pretty twenty-somethings I have no clue on, including The two women from Madong who won their respective preliminary games.