Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Looten Plunder
Jul 11, 2006
Grimey Drawer

MisterZimbu posted:

Correct.

Incorrect. Which is why we dream.

This is correct. It is possible, it will just never happen and if it does it won't be a commercial success anyway.

Between pro poker players, ex-survivor players, a couple of successful game show contestants, a video game nerd and some internet/podcast people that are "internet famous" and fans of the original you could make a compelling and interesting cast.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Looten Plunder
Jul 11, 2006
Grimey Drawer
Except for, you know, last seasons winner.

Looten Plunder
Jul 11, 2006
Grimey Drawer
The RAW file is up on the dailymotion page so it shouldn't be much longer.

Also n'thing how fantastic these subs are. They look legit as hell.

Looten Plunder
Jul 11, 2006
Grimey Drawer

Propaganda Machine posted:

It's not that though, bumdidly cited a nutso work schedule, so that affects how long it'll take to sub, even if the raw version is available.

Oh, sorry. This is the first season I've been watching week to week. Previously I've left it for a few weeks and caught up.

Looten Plunder
Jul 11, 2006
Grimey Drawer
For some reason the program I was using to download these videos from Dailymotion (AVGO) has crapped the bed. I'm finding it really difficult to find another way to do this. All the programs/chrome extensions are either untrustworthy or broken. Anyone got any recommendations for me? Bonus points if it can do Youtube.

Looten Plunder
Jul 11, 2006
Grimey Drawer
There has been some informative posts about the Korean language explaining the respect/age hierachies with hyung and nuna etc but can some explain what the deal with "agile kim, fire kim" etc? It's popped up a couple of times this year.

To go on from that, what is the "clan" thing they were referring to when Tittygod misunderstood the question about what type of Kim he was?

Looten Plunder
Jul 11, 2006
Grimey Drawer
:swoon:Ahyoung:swoon: So good to have you back.

Pretty pissed that Tittygod chose Junseok over Hyunminn. I liked the fact that he played the game as a bit of a lone wolf. Plus he didn't get his loyalty repaid.

I understand the hate towards Jinho, with his lack of "moves" but he is in a tough spot. He wants to make moves, but he always finds himself in a position where he can't. We would be the same people laughing at him if he committed Genius suicide just to disrupt things for the sake of it. The smart move is to do what he has been doing

Looten Plunder
Jul 11, 2006
Grimey Drawer

qbert posted:

Ahyoung looking stylish as gently caress. :colbert:

This

And I love me some suspenders so Jinho gets a pass too.

Looten Plunder
Jul 11, 2006
Grimey Drawer
EXTREME WAYS was loving hilarious.
Bravo to Tittygod for the card read.

NowonSA posted:

Yeah, it's pretty harsh that you can be penalized solely on the luck of the draw to that degree. If you told a pro poker player that the opponent could make a bet and if you fold you give up 10x the big blind automatically, he'd call it the dumbest thing he's ever heard.

It was either High Stakes Poker or Poker After Dark that had a prop bet that if you win a hand with 7-2 you got 5k cold hard cash of every other player and it was an amazing rule.

Doesn't change the fact that it's dumb in this DM. I think the Draw rule is even more egregious though. As a comeback mechanic the double sided bet makes more sense.

NowonSA posted:

all the garnets (though that doesn't really matter)

It kind of does matter because it guarantees he doesn't get picked for the deathmatch. Wait, are they still the rules? What happens if he goes home next episode? Do they play for a prize pool of 8 garnets?

Looten Plunder
Jul 11, 2006
Grimey Drawer

Superrodan posted:

I can't believe Kyunghoon's partner was told explicitly to make Hyunmin lose and instead he made Hyunmin win, and that that fact wasn't hugely focused on by the editors.

Except the whole sequence of Jinho calling him out on it and the guy feeling terrible in a solo interview.

Looten Plunder
Jul 11, 2006
Grimey Drawer
We did get an epic flashback though. A flashback that fooled me so much that I thought Jinho was actually still in the game and thought was an epic "Jinho is going to come back from nothing by Dongmin feeding him chips" montage

Looten Plunder
Jul 11, 2006
Grimey Drawer
Koreans and their Maths are crazy! I just sat their dumbfounded.

Great season, wish this show was on every week until the end of time.

We might get a few more visitors to the thread. There was an episode talking about the The Genius on Rob Has a Podcast this week so we might get a few more Survivor fans coming over to check it out.

Looten Plunder
Jul 11, 2006
Grimey Drawer

Istvun posted:

I'm just annoyed at tittygod running into the most obvious mine in the world.

Yeah, I was a bit confused by that as well. It was so obvious that I just figured I had misunderstood a rule or something. Nope!

Looten Plunder
Jul 11, 2006
Grimey Drawer
Anyone listened to any of the The Genius podcasts that are around? Any to recommend in particular?

Looten Plunder
Jul 11, 2006
Grimey Drawer
I was scouring through old Season 1 clips trying to find the origins of Extreme Ways and it's amazing how many shots I saw with giant film crews in the frame. It's almost like they made no effort to actually disguise any of it.

Is this just as prevalent now and I'm so engaged in the episodes that I don't notice or is it something they have cleaned up over time?

Looten Plunder
Jul 11, 2006
Grimey Drawer

SalTheBard posted:

Goddamn I wish Survivor would steal that gimmick.

Are you talking about the fake one? If so, Survivor kind of are doing that this year. Whilst not explicitly the same, they've said the idol could look like anything this year. This means the idol could just be painted stick or something, which could throw a spanner in the works.

Looten Plunder
Jul 11, 2006
Grimey Drawer
I've just started watching Crime Scene (started with Season 2). I'd love to read more about the shows production and the "rules" behind it.

-How much do the players know? Do they only have background on their own story or everyone else as well?
-How much of their backstory is scripted and is there room for the player to create some of their own mythology on the spot?
-I'm also curious about the "people can't lie unless they are the killer" rule. Like, where is line drawn? Does not telling the whole truth count as a lie? (I'm thinking about the players that do the "no comment" type answers.)

Looten Plunder
Jul 11, 2006
Grimey Drawer
I haven't seen any of you posting in the TVIV poll. C'mon people.

Looten Plunder
Jul 11, 2006
Grimey Drawer

Anaconda Rifle posted:

Ah-young ... is pretty much perfect.

The truth.

Looten Plunder
Jul 11, 2006
Grimey Drawer
After watching a few season one segments recently it's amazing how sloppy they are with the production. You can constantly see camera men running around in the background filming and at times, you see a cross section of the set where a guy is sitting on the other side of a wall filming the action on the side.

Looten Plunder
Jul 11, 2006
Grimey Drawer

Suspicious Dish posted:

Reminder that this is what the Season 1 set looks like from above:

Woah, that main room looks way smaller than what I envisioned in my head

Looten Plunder
Jul 11, 2006
Grimey Drawer

Doctor Reynolds posted:

The latest Jason Bourne movie uses Extreme Ways as its ending theme and it made me make a very geeky laugh.

Isn't Extreme Ways in every Bourne movie?

Looten Plunder
Jul 11, 2006
Grimey Drawer
After we are done with reacting to Emmy's reactions can someone please expand on the drama to give the full background to it?

I jumped into this thread as Season 2 was airing and was still making my way through Season 1 when all of this happened so I mostly avoided the sea of spoiler tags within the thread. I recall that a bunch of the drama was about meta-game stuff with a big fallout behind the scenes/off the show. Can someone give a full summary of the situation once we're done with Emmy's reaction?

Looten Plunder
Jul 11, 2006
Grimey Drawer
That's the extent that I remember it too, but I remember there being a whole bunch of fallout with Sangmin as well. Wasn't there this whole underlying storyline around bullying, and a whole bunch of the women on the show going home in tears? Or was that a completely separate incident?

Looten Plunder
Jul 11, 2006
Grimey Drawer
I started Crime Scene at Season 2 and had no issues getting up to speed with the show. I might go back and check out the latter part of Season 1 though.

Looten Plunder
Jul 11, 2006
Grimey Drawer

Artelier posted:

Kyungran is insanely hot every time she's making a play and my friend pointed out that I've always been attracted to powerful women. :\

Just wait until you meet Ahyoung :swoon:

Looten Plunder
Jul 11, 2006
Grimey Drawer

EmmyOk posted:

Just meeting this season's contestants now! hosed up that people think Ahyoung can compare to world's most perfect woman Kyungran imo

Kyungran doesn't have the comedy stylings.

Looten Plunder
Jul 11, 2006
Grimey Drawer
Can someone clarify the prize money in this show? Are the Bumdy subtitle translations for the dollar values just for simplicity or is that what they are actually winning each episode/season? Is that considered a lot of money?

Looten Plunder
Jul 11, 2006
Grimey Drawer
Is the success of the Genius in Korea (is it even that successful?) off the back of the celebrity status of it's contestants or are they more concerned with skilled players of the game? In other words, is this show advertised/billed as "16 celebreties battle it out each week for the ultimate winner" or is it billed like a season of Survivor where there might be a couple of famous actors or athletes taking part in the season? Isn't the majority of the cast non-celebrity?

Looten Plunder
Jul 11, 2006
Grimey Drawer
I was just watching a couple of Crime Scene episodes. Why do they even bother taking those laughably bad photos? I don't think I've ever seen one of those polaroids that wasn't a complete unfocused, blurry, illegible mess.

Looten Plunder
Jul 11, 2006
Grimey Drawer
Just started watching it on my lunch break. Everyone just moved into their homes after picking teams. Liking it so far. Did I see a University of Queensland graduate listed in the opening introduction? That's pretty cool!

Not sure about a ring toss being dexterity test though.... I'd classify the sand bag challenge as more dexterous.

Looten Plunder
Jul 11, 2006
Grimey Drawer
Whilst we're all fans here and there isn't a ton of complete Genius noobies visiting the thread, I was pretty pumped for this so you might be too.

Rob C and Stephen Fishbach of Survivor and RHAP fame are doing a Know It Alls style audiobook recapping Season 1 of The Genius. First episode is up on the website/your podcast app for free. The rest is $3.99

Great excuse to do another rewatch over the Christmas break.
http://robhasawebsite.com/genius-knowitalls-season-1-audiobook-preview-episode-1-podcast/

Looten Plunder
Jul 11, 2006
Grimey Drawer

Propaganda Machine posted:

Worth it for the name pronunciations alone.

As green as they are with the show, the names, Korean culture etc. It's still been really good to listen to. I've seen the first season three times and they still have some interesting perspective on things that I hadn't really thought about.

Looten Plunder
Jul 11, 2006
Grimey Drawer

Maduo posted:

I wasn't sure if I was gonna be into buying that podcast but hearing them immediately fall in love with Sangmin, I know they're gonna be on point.

They've said multiple times that he is "the greatest character in the history of reality TV"

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Looten Plunder
Jul 11, 2006
Grimey Drawer

NowonSA posted:

Overall it's gotta be a pretty drat cheap show to make

I still can't get over how bad the prize money was. Especially when they are celebrities/elites of their field.