Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
GetWellGamers
Apr 11, 2006

The Get-Well Gamers Foundation: Touching Kids Everywhere!
Yeah, there's Alpha Protocol stuff everywhere because Alpha Protocol is awesome. Duh. :colbert:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Darkhold
Feb 19, 2011

No Heart❤️
No Soul👻
No Service🙅
Er I hope I'm just being trolled here but in case I'm not :thejoke: was he was in a room talking about IP rights while surrounded by an example of an awesome IP Obsidian made that is currently in the hands of a publisher that doesn't care to do anything with it.

vvv yes I understand that. Sheesh. It was a funny thing to have on the walls during that moment. I didn't think it was some kind of stealth statement Obsidian was making.

Darkhold fucked around with this message at 16:25 on Apr 22, 2014

Fair Bear Maiden
Jun 17, 2013
Alpha Protocol is a game Obsidian made, and developers tend to keep art of their games in their offices. I don't think there's much more than that.

Gyshall
Feb 24, 2009

Had a couple of drinks.
Saw a couple of things.
If you're posting ITT and don't have a poster of Steven Heck on your walls, maybe you should go play Bioware Video Games hth

prometheus12345
Oct 4, 2013

coffeetable posted:

The dragon thing looks kinda like a sloughed skin, which would be cool.

I think it's the same dragon gamecrate described in the article from a few weeks ago.

quote:

On a character designer’s computer, we had a chance to look at a work-in-progress dragon. We were told that the dragon in question had spent thousands of years eating “magical mortar,” and that was the explanation for the craggy, amethyst-like protrusions covering its body. The concept art was incredible, and totally unlike anything we’ve seen in other games.

prometheus12345 fucked around with this message at 18:12 on Apr 22, 2014

rope kid
Feb 3, 2001

Warte nur! Balde
Ruhest du auch.

The actual model of that creature is really crazy looking.

Fair Bear Maiden
Jun 17, 2013

Gyshall posted:

If you're posting ITT and don't have a poster of Steven Heck on your walls, maybe you should go play Bioware Video Games hth

I *do* occasionally play BioWare games. Please don't kick me out. :smith:

DatonKallandor
Aug 21, 2009

"I can no longer sit back and allow nationalist shitposting, nationalist indoctrination, nationalist subversion, and the German nationalist conspiracy to sap and impurify all of our precious game balance."

Fair Bear Maiden posted:

I *do* occasionally play BioWare games. Please don't kick me out. :smith:

It's okay. Everyone should be playing Shattered Steel occasionally.
Hey rope kid, when is Obsidian going to do a semi-sim Mech Game with a great story?

spider wisdom
Nov 4, 2011

og data bandit

Periodiko posted:

He'll probably make make you play a black transexual bard as the only character choice.

I can't wait to roleplay as Le1f. :allears:

CharlieFoxtrot
Mar 27, 2007

organize digital employees

DatonKallandor posted:

It's okay. Everyone should be playing Shattered Steel occasionally.
Hey rope kid, when is Obsidian going to do a semi-sim Mech Game with a great story?

I'm hoping that Armored Warfare is actually secretly somehow a crazy Cold War character-driven simulation/strategic RPG with a reactive narrative

Agean90
Jun 28, 2008

CharlieFoxtrot posted:

I'm hoping that Armored Warfare is actually secretly somehow a crazy Cold War character-driven simulation/strategic RPG with a reactive narrative

I would play the gently caress outta alpha protocol with tanks. Instead of dialogue options, your character's personality assembles itself based on mission completion/units lost/collateral damage.

GetWellGamers
Apr 11, 2006

The Get-Well Gamers Foundation: Touching Kids Everywhere!

Agean90 posted:

I would play the gently caress outta alpha protocol with tanks. Instead of dialogue options, your character's personality assembles itself based on mission completion/units lost/collateral damage.

Didn't Ace Combat 6 do something like that, where how efficient/bloodthirsty you were in combat changed how you were perceived and reacted to?

DatonKallandor
Aug 21, 2009

"I can no longer sit back and allow nationalist shitposting, nationalist indoctrination, nationalist subversion, and the German nationalist conspiracy to sap and impurify all of our precious game balance."
I know Ace Combat Zero had a huge branching campaign depending on what kind of mercenary you where (only kill who you were told? killed everything regardless of collateral damage?)

Sea Otter
Oct 9, 2012
I think Bioware's gameplay is fine to some extent but I began to be bored by long RPGs when they don't have more depth in both content and gameplay. In fact, I was burnt out in the middle of Dragon Age: Origins. Dialogues felt uninteresting due to the lack of themes to explore. Gameplay felt fine at first but it began to feel repetitive quite quickly, which may be related with the fact I finished DLC content, first, though. I think too much resources was spent for good graphics and voice acting since there is not much improvement in content area-especially it comes to the reactivity of the world. Maybe, not bad if I want to feel like being in a fantasy TV series or something but that's about it. So, yeah, I'm quite happy with what ropekid said about the replay value in the interview. Also, the article says the devs "spoke about Pillars of Eternity with confidence and pride", which I could tell just by watching the interviews. After all, they may not be working on the DLC for the "safeguarding" purpose, contrary to what I thought.

Relatively minor but one of the things which struck me when seeing feedback, quite many people seem to like sleek UI while the devs were implementing classic heavy-looking one with solid texture. Personally, I'd like to have simple and practical UI, which can be naturally woven to the gameplay screen. So, I guess I'm in the happy group.

Drifter
Oct 22, 2000

Belated Bear Witness
Soiled Meat

Sea Otter posted:

Relatively minor but one of the things which struck me when seeing feedback, quite many people seem to like sleek UI while the devs were implementing classic heavy-looking one with solid texture. Personally, I'd like to have simple and practical UI, which can be naturally woven to the gameplay screen. So, I guess I'm in the happy group.

Have they changed up the UI from the 'it looks like a book' stuff? I've not been following along much.

Fair Bear Maiden
Jun 17, 2013

Drifter posted:

Have they changed up the UI from the 'it looks like a book' stuff? I've not been following along much.

Sensuki took a screencap from the video interview linked earlier, but who knows if that's the actual UI or just another placeholder :shrug:

Sea Otter
Oct 9, 2012
Yeah, can be a place-holder but the design direction is totally different, compared with the earlier one, which was merely a mock-up, indeed. In any case, as I wrote, it is relatively minor, I think.

cock hero flux
Apr 17, 2011

DatonKallandor posted:

I know Ace Combat Zero had a huge branching campaign depending on what kind of mercenary you where (only kill who you were told? killed everything regardless of collateral damage?)

It was essentially a sliding meter which depended on how many optional neutral targets you destroyed. If you didn't destroy any you were a Knight, if you destroyed as many as you could you were a Mercenary, and if you destroyed a few occasionally you were a Soldier, with certain things in the story changing depending on where you were when they happened.

Neutral targets being things like civilian structures and damaged planes that could barely fly and things. Basically things that weren't a threat but which you would get credits for blowing up.

rope kid
Feb 3, 2001

Warte nur! Balde
Ruhest du auch.

Party stats are now up and I realize I have to tune the arquebuses down. The cipher with Soul Whip + arquebus = deathlord by a huge margin.

evilmiera
Dec 14, 2009

rope kid posted:

Party stats are now up and I realize I have to tune the arquebuses down. The cipher with Soul Whip + arquebus = deathlord by a huge margin.

That's too bad. They'd basically be my favorite go-to weapon for my character, but I guess I don't want to lose out on a challenge either :unsmith:

Mr.Pibbleton
Feb 3, 2006

Aleuts rock, chummer.

Hey an Aleut here chiming in on racial representation in video games.

We loving love this. An archer friend of mine is getting double represented and I know a tribeswoman with hormonal dwarfism, she's getting like, triple represented in this. Keep on being cool Obsidian!

rope kid
Feb 3, 2001

Warte nur! Balde
Ruhest du auch.

Mr.Pibbleton posted:

We loving love this. An archer friend of mine is getting double represented and I know a tribeswoman with hormonal dwarfism, she's getting like, triple represented in this. Keep on being cool Obsidian!
Sweet. :c00l:

frajaq
Jan 30, 2009

#acolyte GM of 2014

rope kid posted:

Well yeah they're guns :colbert:

User0015
Nov 24, 2007

Please don't talk about your sexuality unless it serves the ~narrative~!

Mr.Pibbleton posted:

This is clearly insulting, racist, and furthermore ........

prometheus12345 posted:

I think it's the same dragon gamecrate described in the article from a few weeks ago.

I better be able to take its hide and craft armor from it. :black101:
Is that going to be a thing?

rope kid
Feb 3, 2001

Warte nur! Balde
Ruhest du auch.

We have quests to create unique armor and weapon items and a crafting system to create consumables and enchant weapons and armor.

Every creature (other than PC races) drops ingredients for crafting.

CommissarMega
Nov 18, 2008

THUNDERDOME LOSER

rope kid posted:

Every creature (other than PC races) drops ingredients for crafting.

I see a glaring problem that needs to be rectified :colbert:

You know, we've had discussions about guns and such, but what about other technological items? Are there pocket watches, or calculators, or the like? Is there such a thing as a fusion of technology and magic? I'd love to see how such a world would develop.

Prokhor Zakharov
Dec 31, 2008

This is me as I make another great post

Good luck with your depression!

rope kid posted:

Most of my exposure comes from studying the history of tattooing. The English word "tattoo" is derived from a Polynesian word and tattooing is found in a lot of Polynesian, Micronesian, and Melanesian cultures (often having a similar cultural relevance).

Are tattoos going to get any exposure in-game? Either as a little character customization or portraits or magic, etc?

SunAndSpring
Dec 4, 2013
So, how do people who worship one god react to a Godlike of that deity? Do they get really excited about it or just go, "Eh, just another dude"?

Io_
Oct 15, 2012

woo woo

Pillbug

CommissarMega posted:

I see a glaring problem that needs to be rectified :colbert:

You know, we've had discussions about guns and such, but what about other technological items? Are there pocket watches, or calculators, or the like? Is there such a thing as a fusion of technology and magic? I'd love to see how such a world would develop.

Kind of like a late Medieval Shadowrun?

Drifter
Oct 22, 2000

Belated Bear Witness
Soiled Meat

BigFatFlyingBloke posted:

Kind of like a late Medieval Shadowrun?

Or like, every fantasy world with Dwarves? Or Magical Steampunk :barf:

Blotto Skorzany
Nov 7, 2008

He's a PSoC, loose and runnin'
came the whisper from each lip
And he's here to do some business with
the bad ADC on his chip
bad ADC on his chiiiiip
There are better spins on the *punk thing...

quote:

Dr. Hybourne stepped from the smoky insides of the pneumatic hydrotube, his eyes red and crimson-colored beneath his bushy eyebrows. "Gentlemen," he coughed, "allow me to welcome Prof. James Joynt, the esteemed Ezra Poundaweed, Mary Allstonedcraft Shelley, and her associate Dr. Victor Von Marijuanastein, plus all my other colleagues to this, my geodesic head shop. I thank you for coming. No doubt you realize the danger you are in being so close to so much nano-paraphernalia, though I stress that I have it all officially registered as being for tobacco use only."

Prof. Joynt yawned. "Get to the point Hybourne. I have to get back to Finnegans Baked, the seminole masterpiece I'm writing in a language I devised entirely while crunked up and balls-out retarded."

Hybourne coughed. "My apologies. I called you hear to announce that I have invented a device of unimaginable power. A device that can herbalize any substance, a device with unlimited hits, a device capable of smoking out anything, even an ultralunged neo-Rastafarian thrallbeast. Gentlemen, I have invented . . . a Chronic Trigger."

"Hybourne you deluded skeeze!" Ezra Poundaweed shouted loudly as he rose from the chair in which he was seated only a few seconds earlier. "If Dr. Malanarc catches wind of this, he'll throw you in the stem mines for sure or, even worse, a sensimilla deprivation chamber!"

"I am aware of that," Hybourne coughed. "But Malanarc is a one-puff pussy with little squirrely lungs. He cannot comprehend my genious."

"Are you also aware," James Joynt smoothly interjected, "that with even the smallest Chronic Trigger, you could trip balls tomorrow?"

Hybourne smiled, and coughed. "What if I told you I already have? Gentlemen, this is no ordinary Chronic Trigger packed with a half-ounce of cyberskunk. This device will you allow you to get hosed up in any time period . . . nay! In all time periods simultaneously! Do you also not yet understand the comprehension of what the thing I have created is does? Then allow me to explain. Imagine, if you will, four bongs on a cliff . . ."

Ezra Poundaweed gasped. "My Gorsh . . . you can't mean . . ."

"Yes my darling Ezra," Hybourne breathed. "Getting high works the same way. Now perhaps you can begin to understand the shear magnitude of my sticky icky."

quote:

Chronny Fivenugz stepped through a cloud of smoke and out of the deep alley shadows, his gravelly voice resonating over the weedpipes and chronibars that ran along the brick walls, "It's me, Chronny... Are you there, Alice?"

Emerging from the opposite shadow was a short gnarly woman, dressed in green - the infamous Alice B. Tokeless. "Yeah, I'm here, Fivenugz. Did you bring the money?"

Chronny took another hit on his joint, "Yeah, I brought my green. Did you bring yours?" He asked exhaling.

"My product is good or my middle name ain't Blunt." She replied, tossing a cellophane brick of reefer to Chronny, "Now hand over the cashish, chump."

---

Hylus ran over to Chronny, waving his arms over his head, "Chronny, the cops are on to us, they know WE'RE HIGH!!!!"

"drat it," Chronny said, "Everything in this town runs on weed but a man can't smoke it without gettin' busted. Welp, let's go, kid."

quote:

The night was dank. Flickering headlamps cut through the haze in the back alleys of St. Dylansburg as a lone auto-spliff cruised silently.

The driver wrinkled his nose, smelling burning oil; the fuel processor was running low. He brought the spliff to a stop beside a dark alcove and dropped the kickstand, pulling his helmet from his head.

At least, the thought-cop had been led to believe it was a he - but now, watching from the cover of the shadows, the cop saw mauve locks cascading over the shoulders of the spliff driver. A woman! The thought-cop's eyes followed the descent of her hair, all the way down to the small of her back and the generous orbs of her seated behind.

"Curvy," he thought to himself. The shock of learning his quarry's true gender was throwing his concentration off. He needed to apprehend her before she entered the weed bar in that alcove and left him helpless to act. Popping a repression tab into his mouth, he let it dissolve on his tongue and smiled.

The spliff driver cocked her head, brushing a few strands back behind one ear. Then she spoke:

"Those shadows can't hide you from the light of free thought."

The thought-cop's heart leapt into his sternum. He jumped from his hiding spot just as the driver turned and let loose a blast from her modified Pacifier. The glass bullet and its concentrated THC payload missed the cop by scant inches, but he smelled its contrail, and recoiled as images of class equality and chill times assailed his senses. He'd been conditoned to retch at such obscenity; cramming a handful of tabs into his mouth, he barked a muffled "STOP!" and let loose a hail of bullets - real ones.

The female vaulted off of the spliff, her curvaceous form moving like art as she sailed over the gunfire and drpped into a crouch.

"Die you filthy nugger!" The cop screamed. He trained his weapon on her and pulled the trigger.

Click.

Empty, spent. Unlike the Pacifier, with its limitless weed power.

This time, she didn't miss.

The thought-cop stumbled back with a horrified scream as his lungs filled with a relaxing warmth. "My God!" He cried, the energy already being sapped from his limbs,

"God?" The purple-haired vixen smiled, flipping her purple hair back. She laughed. It was the sound of summer, of cream, of walnuts. It awoke new senses in his being. It awoke revelation.

"I choose logic," his quarry said bluntly, a smirk framed by lavender, and walked calmly into the weed bar.

He stared longingly after her. His bloodshot eyes drifted from the alcove to the sign posted above: NO COPS.

Later, they exited the bar together and mounted the auto-spliff, riding off into the sunrise.

A thought-cop's badge, lying discarded on the alley floor, began to rust.

quote:

“Gabbinosti is dead.”

“poo poo,” I say. “How?”

“How do you think?” Krea asks. Her eyes are red. Either chronic or crying I can’t tell. Maybe both. “Crenshaw, too. Heimlich, Grenweldt, Humborst. They’re all dead.”

“The NIGS?” I ask even though I already know the answer. The National Institude of Green Security. The government had known all along that marijuana was the answer to the energy crisis. That’s why they outlawed it. They didn’t want private citizens harvesting its power while Big Oil kept their position as rulers of the country secure. But when they sucked out all the black blood out of the earth, they provided a new solution. A green solution. The energy produced from a single gram of tetrahydrocannabinol when placed in a Dylan reactor was amazing. Over four hundred twenty kilohendrices from one single gram. So the NIGS were formed as a military task force to ensure the weed was kept in government hands where they could keep the supplies in check and keep the prices fixed.

“Yeah. The NIGS.” Krea responds. “I need a loving hit.”

“Did they shut down Green Skies?” Green Skies, an underground weedbar that had been in operation even before the formation of NIGS, before the end of the crude. Back in the days where weed would get you a slap on the wrist, not a bullet in the head.

“It’s gone. Completely destroyed.” Krea slides the hidden panel from her wall and pulls out the Apparatus. “Are you going to join in?”

“Yeah,” I say. “If we give up, the others die in vain.” I strap the helmet on, and place the mask over my mouth. Krea places the weed into the reactor, and engages the incinerator. I flip the visor on the helmet down. The sweet chronic fills my lungs, and I close my eyes. The Apparatus is a small version of the Dylan reactor built using stolen plans from the NIGS. The THC releases its potential energy directly into your stream of consciousness this way. It’s a much different, more refined high than simply smoking weed. The euphoria is overwhelming. The visor aids with pleasant hallucinations. For a second I forget about it all. About the NIGS, Gabbinosti‘s death, the destruction of Green Skies. Everything. But the high doesn’t last forever.

Sometime during the night, I’m awoken by a pounding on the door. I bolt upright in the bed and blindly grab for something to defend myself with. “Calm down,” Krea says, pulling on clothes. “The NIGS don’t knock.” She’s right, of course, but who can blame me for being paranoid. Between the weed and the current crack downs, it’s no surprise.

Krea opens the door, and Gabbinosti limps in. “You’re alive!” We look at each other in disbelief. For a second I wonder if it’s still the weed.

“Of course I’m alive, you fools,” he wheezes. He smiles, then coughs throatily. Gabbinosti—Dr. Gabbinosti—was once the foremost scientist in the field of experimental marijaunics at Bluntston University. But when he saw what the government was trying to do with his work—monopolize the energy to enslave the people—he went destroyed all his official paperwork and went underground and began affiliating with the anarchist weedsters who promoted free energy and free highs. He has made it his lifelong struggle to bring down NIGS with a populist uprising. That’s how he formed GRASSROOTS, his underground organization that operated out of Green Skies. That’s how Krea and I met him.

“We thought you were dead!” Krea almost screams. “What about the others?”

“Oh, I’m afraid they’ve smoked their last bowls.” He shakes his head sadly. “But not I. There’s still some resin left in me.” He smiles again. “Green Skies is destroyed, but I was able to salvage my greatest work. He opens up his brown leather trench coat, to reveal bloodstained bandages and a pouch. He slowly hands the pouch to me. “This is what I have been working on all these years. This is the culmination of all the time I’ve spent since I’ve gone into hiding.”

The pouch is deceptively heavy. I reach inside and pull out a very heavy but small green cube. It’s soft and warm. “That’s it,” Gabbinosti smiles. “The Chronic Mass. If we can get this into the central Dylan reactor, we can cause a chain reaction through the entirety of the NIGS weed stockpile.”

“Does that mean what I think it means?” I ask.

“Yes. The entire country will go up in smoke. A whole nation high. Can you imagine the ramifications this will have? There will be no fighting, no war, no NIGS, no control. We’ll have won. GRASSROOTS will have won!”

I put the cube back into the pouch. I knew what I had to do.

fuck off Batman
Oct 14, 2013

Yeah Yeah Yeah Yeah!

Otto Skorzeny posted:

There are better spins on the *punk thing...

These are beautiful :allears:

Obsidian next RPG should be a steampunk game based on Zybourne Clock Chronic Trigger.

Drifter
Oct 22, 2000

Belated Bear Witness
Soiled Meat
Ahahaha those are great.

Disco Infiva posted:

These are beautiful :allears:

Obsidian next RPG should be a steampunk game based on Zybourne Clock Chronic Trigger.

Hybourne Clock. Gotta keep the spirit of the original.

SunAndSpring
Dec 4, 2013

Sea Otter posted:

Yeah, can be a place-holder but the design direction is totally different, compared with the earlier one, which was merely a mock-up, indeed. In any case, as I wrote, it is relatively minor, I think.

As long as the UI isn't some giant eyesore piece of poo poo like Arcanum's was, I'm satisfied.

Blotto Skorzany
Nov 7, 2008

He's a PSoC, loose and runnin'
came the whisper from each lip
And he's here to do some business with
the bad ADC on his chip
bad ADC on his chiiiiip
There are plenty of things to complain about with regards to Arcanum's user interface, but the looks aren't really one of them

SunAndSpring
Dec 4, 2013

Otto Skorzeny posted:

There are plenty of things to complain about with regards to Arcanum's user interface, but the looks aren't really one of them

The aesthetics are nice, but it takes up so much of the screen, it's hard to look at.

Jackard
Oct 28, 2007

We Have A Bow And We Wish To Use It

Sea Otter posted:

Both of them look good, to be honest

Drifter
Oct 22, 2000

Belated Bear Witness
Soiled Meat

Jackard posted:

Both of them look good, to be honest

The earlier one looks not nearly as good as the later one.

Captain Oblivious
Oct 12, 2007

I'm not like other posters

Mr.Pibbleton posted:

Allow me as a white man to explain to you why you're really being oppressed by Obsidian...

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SunAndSpring
Dec 4, 2013

Mr.Pibbleton posted:

How dare Obsidian imply all native Americans are dwarfs? I won't loving stand for this. I'm going to pirate this game 700 times so Obsidian loses 35,000 dollars and then never play it.

• Locked thread