Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
prxi
Jan 10, 2009

It's time for a
summery execution!
Does anyone know if we can access the digital download key from the pillars of eternity website, if we bought the physical version?

I might want to keep my version NRFB :smuggo:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sensuki
Dec 29, 2012

ASK ME ABOUT BEING A MASSIVE ARTISTIC SHITLORD ABOUT VIDEO GAMES.

I AM A TREMENDOUS FIRETRUCK AND MY BURGERS ARE OUT OF CONTROL

:spergin::spergin::spergin::spergin::spergin::spergin::spergin::spergin::spergin:
rope kid one of the journalists commented on the game's health display on twitter.

quote:

Pillars is under NDA (!) but let me tell you that it looks and feels good. Just unsure if I like the hero's health display.

quote:

It looks a bit too modern. I'd prefer a health display that fades away/is mouseover, see "Near death" etc. in BG2.

quote:

The four dots just aren't medieval enough for me. YMMV.

Sounds like a version of a Unit Health Bar (like from an RTS or Moba), except incremental which replaces BG2's mouse over parchment tooltip.

What's the go with that?

Sensuki fucked around with this message at 12:40 on Jun 12, 2014

Fair Bear Maiden
Jun 17, 2013
If that's the only complaint the game must look pretty good. Also, for good or ill, that feels in line with what Rope Kid always said in terms of transparency/health bars, though if it's not too difficult to implement, it'd be cool if you could revert to a BG-style display in Expert Mode.

EDIT: Almost forgot, a voice actor was unveiled.

Fair Bear Maiden fucked around with this message at 12:51 on Jun 12, 2014

Sensuki
Dec 29, 2012

:spergin::spergin::spergin::spergin::spergin::spergin::spergin::spergin::spergin:
Yeah the problem with the described option is that it seems like a half-way method between what we old-schoolers want (the exact same mouse-over tooltip with character name and health details at most) and people into more modern GUI displays, to which a full health bar over the character's head is probably better.

I like health bars in an RTS game such as Starcraft, but I don't necessarily want one for PE, as you can see the Health of your characters on the UI itself and I personally don't even want to know the Health of enemies.

I don't really mind what the normal options are as long as when I disable the information tooltips, there's a mouse over tooltip (preferably in skeuomorphic form like parchment) that shows the character's name, and otherwise the screen is free of clutter. If I wanted to see a rough estimation of enemy health, I'd prefer the BG2 method of "Barely Injured", "Badly Injured", "Near Death" in the mouse over tooltip, the same as the journalist.

Io_
Oct 15, 2012

woo woo

Pillbug
A toggle for health bar on/off would be great if they are going to be there, particularly if the information is displayed elsewhere.

DatonKallandor
Aug 21, 2009

"I can no longer sit back and allow nationalist shitposting, nationalist indoctrination, nationalist subversion, and the German nationalist conspiracy to sap and impurify all of our precious game balance."
There's no reason for the player characters not to tell you their health status in clear numbers - it's crucial information in a game about combat. Enemies don't need to, and from that press comment, they aren't talking about enemy health UI anyway - I'd bet they still have the classic "lightly wounded, wounded, near death, etc." for characters you don't directly control.

Sensuki
Dec 29, 2012

In Icewind Dale: Heart of Winter and BG2 (and IWD2 as well I think), the mouse over tooltip provided the exact health of the character you moused over (ie 47/102).

BG2 I think showed the health numbers above characters heads when you held the ALT key

So the past games already did this. What this journalist is describing is like a four dot health bar or something rather than a number, or a normal health bar

prometheus12345
Oct 4, 2013
Isn't it easier to see the health of all/many enemies with four dots instead of a text. So if you attack with an aoe spell you can see which enemies you should attack first, instead of holding the mouse over every enemy.

DatonKallandor posted:

There's no reason for the player characters not to tell you their health status in clear numbers - it's crucial information in a game about combat. Enemies don't need to, and from that press comment, they aren't talking about enemy health UI anyway - I'd bet they still have the classic "lightly wounded, wounded, near death, etc." for characters you don't directly control.

If I understand the poster coreectly you don't see the exact number, you only see four dots not a health bar. lightly wounded would be 3 dots, wounded two dots, etc.

DatonKallandor
Aug 21, 2009

"I can no longer sit back and allow nationalist shitposting, nationalist indoctrination, nationalist subversion, and the German nationalist conspiracy to sap and impurify all of our precious game balance."
Yeah that's just the difference between a red bar and a series of red blobs. It's an incredibly small purely visual change. Like how Diablo has their health in a globe instead of bar. Doesn't affect the game at all.

pun pundit
Nov 11, 2008

I feel the same way about the company bearing the same name.

"There's an NDA on info about this game. Here, let me break it!"

So this discussion about a tidbit a journalist leaked on Twitter, with assumptions about what is/isn't going to be included in which characters' health display demonstrates why the NDA is there in the first place.

Dart
Jan 11, 2012

Obsidian could really innovate by including pyramid shaped health meters.

Drifter
Oct 22, 2000

Belated Bear Witness
Soiled Meat

Dart posted:

Obsidian could really innovate by including pyramid shaped health meters.

Every time you go to check your health there's a little quicktime event.

Sensuki
Dec 29, 2012

I really don't care what they are, as long as the health displays on the tooltip instead if you disable all that ease of use crap.

Fuschia tude
Dec 26, 2004

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2019

Sensuki posted:

I really don't care what they are, as long as the health displays on the tooltip instead if you disable all that ease of use crap.

I require ALL the numbers to float above all characters' heads at all times. Even in conversations. Especially in conversations.

Sensuki
Dec 29, 2012

Good lads, they have both

From Adam Brennecke:

quote:

ah! We have the option to toggle the dots off and have old school "injured" text instead. 5 Dots are tied to these states

https://twitter.com/adam_brennecke/status/477100429911019521

Sensuki fucked around with this message at 16:51 on Jun 12, 2014

DatonKallandor
Aug 21, 2009

But Infinity engine games never hid the player party health information?
Did that "journalist" mean "enemies" when he wrote "heroes"?

DatonKallandor fucked around with this message at 18:23 on Jun 12, 2014

Gyshall
Feb 24, 2009

Had a couple of drinks.
Saw a couple of things.
What a thing to sperg about. But echoing ti is a good thing if that is the only complaint.

Sensuki
Dec 29, 2012

DatonKallandor posted:

But Infinity engine games never hid the player party health information?
Did that "journalist" mean "enemies" when he wrote "heroes"?

Party members. Perhaps he plays DotA2

DatonKallandor
Aug 21, 2009

Again I'm 99% certain infinity engine games have always displayed party health status both in slowly-filling red and precise numbers. They've never hidden it behind descriptive words - that was only for enemies.
It sounds like that "journalist" is just an idiot trying to appear like he's all "old school". Plus claiming that dynamically fading UIs are less modern than static ones? That's just the opposite of the facts - there's nothing more old school than static (giant screen obscuring) UIs and health bars.

DatonKallandor fucked around with this message at 18:53 on Jun 12, 2014

Sensuki
Dec 29, 2012

He's not an idiot man, he's simply referring to the fact that instead of having a health number display that pops-up upon mouse over (like in BG2, IWD:HoW) that P:E had some Health Dots above character's heads instead (always there, persistent) and that he prefers the BG2 style where you have to mouse over to see the immediate values, which are displayed under the names.

I prefer exactly the same thing.

The comment about it being too modern probably refers to the fact that it's not very skeuomorphic (ie. made out of material)

DatonKallandor
Aug 21, 2009

Sensuki posted:

He's not an idiot man, he's simply referring to the fact that instead of having a health number display that pops-up upon mouse over (like in BG2, IWD:HoW) that P:E had some Health Dots above character's heads instead (always there, persistent) and that he prefers the BG2 style where you have to mouse over to see the immediate values, which are displayed under the names.

But he's referring to the player party which has always had both visual health display and numbers on mouse over.
Here's Icewind Dale:

And here's Baldurs Gate:

The character portraits filling up with red is a health bar. The exact numbers were both on tooltip, and as you can see in the Icewind Dale screenshot, optionally always on.

They've never had them hidden and there's never been a no-health-bar option. And party members certainly never only had health descriptions (Wounded, Near Death, etc.) instead of numbers as that tweeter claims.

He probably means that enemies had visual health indicators (and the response from the dev indicates that's the case), but that's not what he wrote.

Edit: I'm bolding the fact that I've already said the tooltip part for the post below (which also illustrates that the tooltip back then gave you numbers, not words for the party)

DatonKallandor fucked around with this message at 20:50 on Jun 12, 2014

Sensuki
Dec 29, 2012

He's talking about the MOUSE OVER tooltip, when you mouse over the character avatar in the game.

Here's a screenshot I just took to show you

This is a "tooltip" in the IE games.

Instead of this, the default option in PE is something like this (which can be disabled, and then the game uses the old style one like the image above)

He didn't like the dots above the head.

Sensuki fucked around with this message at 20:51 on Jun 12, 2014

DatonKallandor
Aug 21, 2009

How would you know that's what he's talking about? He never mentions where the dots are placed (nothing that mentions they're over the heads of the characters and not next to the portraits for example - if he even means allies) and it's unclear if he means enemies or party. And considering the response by the dev refers to text descriptions of damage it probably means enemies, not party (but still doesn't tell us where the dots are placed or what they look like).

It's basically a "journalist" breaking NDA, while telling people about the NDA, without even knowing what he's talking about in his fact-confusing NDA break.

DatonKallandor fucked around with this message at 20:56 on Jun 12, 2014

Sensuki
Dec 29, 2012

He says

quote:

I'd prefer a health display that fades away/is mouseover

Indicating a persistent health display, which in most games is displayed above the unit.

Adam says

quote:

We have the option to toggle the dots off and have old school "injured" text instead. 5 Dots are tied to these states

Indicating that the persistent dots is mutually exclusive with the old school text tooltips.

The dots may be for everyone, not just the player controlled characters.

In case you didn't know, Health is displayed as a vertical bar next to the character portrait, and Stamina damage is displayed as red fill. So the 5 bars wouldn't be on the actual UI itself.

Here are some pre-alpha UI screens

Sensuki fucked around with this message at 21:16 on Jun 12, 2014

Parenthesis
Jan 3, 2013
At this point I wonder how long the list with toggleable options is going to be. Hopefully the individual features have been implemented as a vertical slices that has a minimum of interaction with other systems - otherwise it's going be a hell to QA.

Then again, I would imagine it would be hard trying to distill the feature set of BG, BG2, IWD, IWD2, and PS:T into a single engine without stepping on a good deal of the backers preferences and nostalgia.

Gyshall
Feb 24, 2009

Had a couple of drinks.
Saw a couple of things.
maybe the health HUD should be a neon dick above every characters head?

Drifter
Oct 22, 2000

Belated Bear Witness
Soiled Meat
Aww, poo poo I'm gonna have to rest soon, I'm at about a quarter chub.

Scorchy
Jul 15, 2006

Smug Statement: Elementary, my dear meatbag.
Sawyer is on Giantbomb's E3 panel in a couple of minutes: http://www.giantbomb.com/chat/

Jimbot
Jul 22, 2008

Too bad Matt Rorie isn't there. They can d'aww out over kittens and puppies the entire time.

Super No Vacancy
Jul 26, 2012

Scorchy posted:

Sawyer is on Giantbomb's E3 panel in a couple of minutes: http://www.giantbomb.com/chat/

oh man three of my mancrushes on one panel

Airfoil
Sep 10, 2013

I'm a rocket man

epitasis posted:

oh man three of my mancrushes on one panel

Well, that Keighley guy likes to hear himself talk.

SunAndSpring
Dec 4, 2013
So are there gonna be articles about the game after E3?

Sensuki
Dec 29, 2012

Next week. NDA lifted Thursday 6AM PDT unless it's waived before that.

Furism
Feb 21, 2006

Live long and headbang

I want that Obsidian hoodie!

Sensuki
Dec 29, 2012

Second voice actor for the game unveiled (first was a blind dude called Brandon Cole)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=w4T8H8JMZUc

He's doing PC Voice sets, Narrator and a companion (he says supporting character) called "Odema" (spelling?)

GetWellGamers
Apr 11, 2006

The Get-Well Gamers Foundation: Touching Kids Everywhere!

Furism posted:

I want that Obsidian hoodie!

They are super comfy.

Also, the paradox guys let me in to one of the preview sessions because they've been donators for a while. Feel free to be jealous, and I'll have lots to lovingly ramble about post-embargo as well. :smug:

Fair Bear Maiden
Jun 17, 2013

GetWellGamers posted:

They are super comfy.

Also, the paradox guys let me in to one of the preview sessions because they've been donators for a while. Feel free to be jealous, and I'll have lots to lovingly ramble about post-embargo as well. :smug:

It's okay, no one quotes Something Awful, you can talk about it. :shepface:

No Dignity
Oct 15, 2007

Fair Bear Maiden posted:

It's okay, no one quotes Something Awful, you can talk about it. :shepface:

This was a trending article of the BBC News website yesterday

Fair Bear Maiden
Jun 17, 2013
I have to imagine you wanted to find an excuse to post that article? But, just to be abundantly clear: I wasn't even remotely serious and I don't expect GetWellGamers to break an NDA, especially in the very place where one of the guys that'd be affected posts.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

No Dignity
Oct 15, 2007

Fair Bear Maiden posted:

I have to imagine you wanted to find an excuse to post that article? But, just to be abundantly clear: I wasn't even remotely serious and I don't expect GetWellGamers to break an NDA, especially in the very place where one of the guys that'd be affected posts.

Eh, I just thought it was a funny example of SA's continued 'relevance' after you made a joke about SA being irrelevant, sorry it bugged you so much.

• Locked thread