Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Munin
Nov 14, 2004

I managed to resist looking at spoilers. I also haven't had a look at the preview articles. Are they spoiler free? I presume not.

I'm really looking forward to this and everything that's coming out really shows it all coming together well.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

coffeetable
Feb 5, 2006

TELL ME AGAIN HOW GREAT BRITAIN WOULD BE IF IT WAS RULED BY THE MERCILESS JACKBOOT OF PRINCE CHARLES

YES I DO TALK TO PLANTS ACTUALLY

Munin posted:

I managed to resist looking at spoilers. I also haven't had a look at the preview articles. Are they spoiler free? I presume not.
They're not. But all they spoiler is the first few minutes of the game, so there's not exactly a pile of dramatic tension you'll be missing out on.

Drifter
Oct 22, 2000

Belated Bear Witness
Soiled Meat

coffeetable posted:

They're not. But all they spoiler is the first few minutes of the game, so there's not exactly a pile of dramatic tension you'll be missing out on.

But it's the beginning! That first kiss, that gentle breath of musty air that wafts past your face when you open a book, the unwrapping of your presents on Christmas Day...

The first thing is no less precious than the last thing.

Munin
Nov 14, 2004

Drifter posted:

But it's the beginning! That first kiss, that gentle breath of musty air that wafts past your face when you open a book, the unwrapping of your presents on Christmas Day...

Yup, my thinking precisely.

[edit] Mechanics is one things but actual story stuff another. Thinking old school, I don't really want to spoil myself on anything that wouldn't have been in a proper game manual.

Munin fucked around with this message at 15:29 on Jun 20, 2014

coffeetable
Feb 5, 2006

TELL ME AGAIN HOW GREAT BRITAIN WOULD BE IF IT WAS RULED BY THE MERCILESS JACKBOOT OF PRINCE CHARLES

YES I DO TALK TO PLANTS ACTUALLY

Drifter posted:

Narratively speaking, yeah it is.

"Harry Potter is magic" vs "Snape kills Dumbledore"
"Luke Skywalker's a Jedi" vs "Darth Vader's his father"
"Bruce Willis is in this film" vs "Bruce Willis is a dead guy"

The latter are spoilers because they reduce the payoff you get from investing yourself in the story. The former aren't spoilers because you haven't invested much/any time by the time they're revealed.

coffeetable fucked around with this message at 15:37 on Jun 20, 2014

Drifter
Oct 22, 2000

Belated Bear Witness
Soiled Meat

coffeetable posted:

Narratively speaking, yeah it is.

"Harry Potter is magic" vs "Snape kills Dumbledore"
"Luke Skywalker's a Jedi" vs "Darth Vader's his father"
"Bruce Willis is in this film" vs "Bruce Willis is a dead guy"

Nope. You're conflating story with loose summary or something here.

theshim
May 1, 2012

You think you can defeat ME, Ephraimcopter?!?

You couldn't even beat Assassincopter!!!

GetWellGamers posted:

Okay, super duper spoiler edition. Don't look if you don't want to know how the first bit of the game goes.
Oh my god, meaningful choices, yeeeessssssssss. Getting insanely pumped for this.

SoggyBobcat
Oct 2, 2013

Does getting spoiled on the opening really ruin a person's enjoyment of something to any noticeable degree? If anything, I'd imagine that enjoyment would be increased slightly, as it might reduce some frustration or confusion at the beginning due to unfamiliarity.

Darkhold
Feb 19, 2011

No Heart❤️
No Soul👻
No Service🙅
Who cares? Some people don't care about spoilers at all. Some people have a total embargo on spoilers. Most people are somewhere in-between.

Why interrogate them over their harmless preference?

SoggyBobcat
Oct 2, 2013

No, it doesn't really matter, and no, this isn't some sort of interrogation. It's just not a position I really understand at all. How do you spoil the opening minutes of a story or a game or whatever?

Drifter
Oct 22, 2000

Belated Bear Witness
Soiled Meat

SoggyBobcat posted:

No, it doesn't really matter, and no, this isn't some sort of interrogation. It's just not a position I really understand at all. How do you spoil the opening minutes of a story or a game or whatever?

By being told about it before you can experience it for yourself? The same as spoiling anything else?

GetWellGamers
Apr 11, 2006

The Get-Well Gamers Foundation: Touching Kids Everywhere!
Some people hate getting just the first bit of anything they're excited about because it's like seeing a buffet open up and you're only allowed to take a single crouton before being ushered back to your seat, to wait for hours before you can actually eat anything. You want more, you want all of it, and you've seen the promise of its bounty, but all you had was a tiny taste. The knowledge and the waiting are agonizing and even kind of souring, because then when you finally do get to go to the buffet, there's that tinge of frustration over everything, even as much as you enjoy the food. The people who think intro spoilers are a big deal would rather be forced to continue waiting outside the buffet until it's open enough you can eat everything right off the bat, because they didn't know what they were missing until they could eat it.

(Apologies for the extremely tortured metaphor. :shobon: )

Sensuki
Dec 29, 2012

ASK ME ABOUT BEING A MASSIVE ARTISTIC SHITLORD ABOUT VIDEO GAMES.

I AM A TREMENDOUS FIRETRUCK AND MY BURGERS ARE OUT OF CONTROL

:spergin::spergin::spergin::spergin::spergin::spergin::spergin::spergin::spergin:
I watched a friend play Baldur's Gate 1 before I first played it. That's why I bought it. So I'd already seen Candlekeep to the Nashkell Mines or so.

That said we've only heard a synopsis of the first 20 mins. They purposefully skipped most of the dialogue and probably didn't uncover all of the little events.

Drifter
Oct 22, 2000

Belated Bear Witness
Soiled Meat
Look, I have a car analogy that'll clear everything right up...

SoggyBobcat
Oct 2, 2013

Drifter posted:

By being told about it before you can experience it for yourself? The same as spoiling anything else?

Sure, but reading someone else's barebones preview of the first twenty minutes of gameplay isn't really the same as experiencing it for yourself.

Drifter
Oct 22, 2000

Belated Bear Witness
Soiled Meat

SoggyBobcat posted:

Sure, but reading someone else's barebones preview of the first twenty minutes of gameplay isn't really the same as experiencing it for yourself.

Oh you're right I'm convinced now.

fuck off Batman
Oct 14, 2013

Yeah Yeah Yeah Yeah!

Gorion dies.

AnonSpore
Jan 19, 2012

"I didn't see the part where he develops as a character so I guess he never developed as a character"

SoggyBobcat posted:

That is the point, yes.

theshim
May 1, 2012

You think you can defeat ME, Ephraimcopter?!?

You couldn't even beat Assassincopter!!!

Disco Infiva posted:

Gorion dies.
I'm sorry that you feel that way, old man.

SoggyBobcat
Oct 2, 2013

AnonSpore posted:

That is the point, yes.

Those experiences aren't mutually exclusive.

GWG's preview goes "this happens, and then this happens" but at no point does it explain why it's happening. There's nothing to be spoiled because nothing's been established - no character motivations, no central conflict, not even tone.

Drifter
Oct 22, 2000

Belated Bear Witness
Soiled Meat

SoggyBobcat posted:

Those experiences aren't mutually exclusive.

GWG's preview goes "this happens, and then this happens" but at no point does it explain why it's happening. There's nothing to be spoiled because nothing's been established - no character motivations, no central conflict, not even tone.

Oh well thank god I only know WHAT happened and not WHY it happened. Totally takes the edge off.

SoggyBobcat
Oct 2, 2013

If you're not going to engage in any discussion and just be a condescending prick, can you kindly gently caress off? Thanks.

Drifter
Oct 22, 2000

Belated Bear Witness
Soiled Meat

SoggyBobcat posted:

If you're not going to engage in any discussion and just be a condescending prick, can you kindly gently caress off? Thanks.

But you don't know WHY I'm doing it so it's okay.

Captain Oblivious
Oct 12, 2007

I'm not like other posters
This whole conversation is asinine and worthless.

Nobody is gonna convince anybody. Next time you think about posting about spoilers and whether/why people are okay with them, instead fart violently for 10 to 20 seconds. You have emulated posting.

prxi
Jan 10, 2009

It's time for a
summery execution!

quote:

Does getting spoiled on the opening really ruin a person's enjoyment of something to any noticeable degree? If anything, I'd imagine that enjoyment would be increased slightly, as it might reduce some frustration or confusion at the beginning due to unfamiliarity.

Unfamiliarity is one of the things I really enjoy about these kinds of games though. It's like the feeling of exploring an undiscovered country. It's not really a spoiler to say "There are plants that are similar to the ones back home" but I want to encounter that, on my own.

My first moments in a new game aren't something that I can replicate after I've played it, or read a review/preview. I like being able to sit back and explore the game world, for the first time, where every hallway is new and has untold depth waiting to be explored. Yeah, it's not as huge of a deal as spoiling pivotal moments in a story, but it's still not something I want defined before I experience it.

It's not how everyone likes to play, but it's one of my favorite things about playing a new game. :)

edit: adding context

prxi fucked around with this message at 17:11 on Jun 20, 2014

jneer
Aug 31, 2006

Mush Mushi!

SoggyBobcat posted:

Those are an awesome series of bad posts, please stop. You acknowledged it's personal preference several posts ago and thought it was a good idea to keep digging. You're not going to debate him into enjoying a story your way.

SoggyBobcat
Oct 2, 2013

jneer posted:

Those are an awesome series of bad posts, please stop. You acknowledged it's personal preference several posts ago and thought it was a good idea to keep digging. You're not going to debate him into enjoying a story your way.

I wasn't trying to force my views on anyone; rather, I was trying to understand the views of others.

e: wording.

Gyshall
Feb 24, 2009

Had a couple of drinks.
Saw a couple of things.
Can we please keep this thread free of Baldurs Gate I and II spoilers please?

marshmallow creep
Dec 10, 2008

I've been sitting here for 5 mins trying to think of a joke to make but I just realised the animators of Mass Effect already did it for me

Yeah, I find myself in a bit of a weird place with the game at this point because I don't want to get into the story until I actually have it. Can't articulate why; would I be more interested if the spoilers were more in depth? Can't say for sure.

In other media, I'm usually fine with spoilers and can still enjoy the reading or viewing. Like, the dinosaur riding in the Dresden Files--I knew that was coming before I even picked up the first book, and that spoiler actually enhanced my enjoyment because I anticipated it; similarly, I already read the summary of Stephen King's Cell months ago, and now that the book has dropped in my lap, I'm enjoying reading it myself even though I know how it ends.

Captain Oblivious
Oct 12, 2007

I'm not like other posters

Gyshall posted:

Boo, get off the stage.

Mr. Baps
Apr 16, 2008

Yo ho?

SoggyBobcat posted:

I wasn't trying to force my views on anyone; rather, I was trying to understand the views of others.

e: wording.

Knowing what's coming, even if it's just the opening minutes of the game, diminishes the impact when you later experience it yourself. Is that so hard to understand? I'd much rather have everything I'm seeing be brand new, instead of going "oh, this is that character/place/enemy I read about" for the first half hour or however long.

Wolfsheim
Dec 23, 2003

and god is on your side
dividing sparrows from the nightingales
Spoiling yourself in this case is entirely voluntary, though? Like, if you decided to keep reading past the first sentence in any of the preview where they start talking about the game opening with you guarding a caravan, that's on you. It's not like when the name of FYAD was changed to spoil that one Harry Potter book (which was hilarious, incidentally).

Darkhold
Feb 19, 2011

No Heart❤️
No Soul👻
No Service🙅
Err it's not the non-spoiler people that are complaining though? They just asked if the articles had them or not. It's the other posters that are going on and on about how early game spoilers don't count or something and asking them to justify their stance.

Gyshall
Feb 24, 2009

Had a couple of drinks.
Saw a couple of things.

Captain Oblivious posted:

Boo, get off the stage.

just got past the part where gorion dies, everyone carry on please

Munin
Nov 14, 2004

I would not have enjoyed the Homeworld opening (Adagio and all) half as much if I hadn't played it myself.

Captain Oblivious posted:

Boo, get off the stage.

How did a hamster get to command it anyway?

Yoshimo
Oct 5, 2003

Fleet of foot, and all that!

Gyshall posted:

What a splendid idea!

Miss Mowcher
Jul 24, 2007

Ribbit

Yoshimo posted:

What a splendid idea!

:golfclap:

SunAndSpring
Dec 4, 2013

Gyshall posted:

Snape kills Dumbledore.

Drifter
Oct 22, 2000

Belated Bear Witness
Soiled Meat

SunAndSpring posted:

Snape kills Dumbledore.

But he did it out of love.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

fuck off Batman
Oct 14, 2013

Yeah Yeah Yeah Yeah!

There's an Otyugh in the toilet. Sorry you had to find out this way.

• Locked thread