Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Sensuki
Dec 29, 2012

ASK ME ABOUT BEING A MASSIVE ARTISTIC SHITLORD ABOUT VIDEO GAMES.

I AM A TREMENDOUS FIRETRUCK AND MY BURGERS ARE OUT OF CONTROL

:spergin::spergin::spergin::spergin::spergin::spergin::spergin::spergin::spergin:
Go away for a couple weeks and look what happens.

Massive "discussion" over attributes ITT and on other forums.

Created a questionnare thread on some of the nostalgia and design points such as "six attributes" and "attribute based inventory"

http://forums.obsidian.net/topic/64891-attribute-questionnaire/

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SurrealityCheck
Sep 15, 2012

rope kid posted:

It could, but gunshots aren't that powerful. In general, single attacks from any source are not so gnarly that your entire combat success would hinge on them.

Um, it is a requirement that my gunshots be gnarly as all gently caress. In fact, I demand that these shots be raw.

Will it be possible to dual wield pistols?

I suppose it would be double the burst, double the reload time (as you can presumably fire them both extremely quickly, but you cannot reload them simultaneously).

Maybe even more damage spikey than a slow firing rifle.

Clever Spambot
Sep 16, 2009

You've lost that lovin' feeling,
Now it's gone...gone...
GONE....
Have they actually stated whether duel wielding will be in the game?

As a followup question will the game have any references to Drizzt Do'Urden (sic?)?

Masonity
Dec 31, 2007

What, I wonder, does this hidden face of madness reveal of the makers? These K'Chain Che'Malle?

Clever Spambot posted:

Have they actually stated whether duel wielding will be in the game?

As a followup question will the game have any references to Drizzt Do'Urden (sic?)?

The drow(ned) tombs should have a named boss called Drizz(le) (we)zt and his side kick do(rian) (b)urden who's names are listed on top of each other by a fold in the map.

CottonWolf
Jul 20, 2012

Good ideas generator

SurrealityCheck posted:

Will it be possible to dual wield pistols?

I hope so. A lightly armoured cypher/barbarian who fires off his two pistols, drops them, pulls the two-hander off his back and then charges into the melee sounds :black101:

Captain Oblivious
Oct 12, 2007

I'm not like other posters

CottonWolf posted:

I hope so. A lightly armoured cypher/barbarian who fires off his two pistols, drops them, pulls the two-hander off his back and then charges into the melee sounds :black101:

I don't believe we have any indication that multiclassing is a thing, did I miss something? Or do you just mean a Cypher OR a Barbarian? :v:

CountingWizard
Jul 6, 2004

CottonWolf posted:

Didn't Arcanum: Of Steamworks and Magick Obscura have this feature?

Pimpmust
Oct 1, 2008

Masonity posted:

The drow(ned) tombs should have a named boss called Drizz(le) (we)zt and his side kick do(rian) (b)urden who's names are listed on top of each other by a fold in the map.

They'll be in, but the species will use the alternative spelling of Drow, be like 4 meters tall, run really fast and they'll pack one hell of a kick.

Downside is that their stubby arms won't be able to wield the graceful scimitars :smith:

FRINGE
May 23, 2003
title stolen for lf posting

CottonWolf posted:

Thats called "a pirate" :v:

Shard
Jul 30, 2005

Any information on character development with the NPCs. Romance is always fun to explore, but I'd like to see something along the lines of becoming best buds with one of them. Example: Garrus/Shepard - Space Bros for life.

CottonWolf
Jul 20, 2012

Good ideas generator

Captain Oblivious posted:

Or do you just mean a Cypher OR a Barbarian? :v:

That's what I meant, yep!

CountingWizard posted:

Maybe. I actually only ever get past the initial town with a mage in Arcanum. Tech characters seemed like much more of a hassle.

CottonWolf fucked around with this message at 17:23 on Dec 27, 2013

Scorchy
Jul 15, 2006

Smug Statement: Elementary, my dear meatbag.

CottonWolf posted:

Man AC4 is such a fun game

Greenplastic
Oct 24, 2005

Miao, miao!

Spikeguy posted:

Any information on character development with the NPCs. Romance is always fun to explore, but I'd like to see something along the lines of becoming best buds with one of them. Example: Garrus/Shepard - Space Bros for life.

Wow, I really like that. A bromance-system, if you will.

Samuel Clemens
Oct 4, 2013

I think we should call the Avengers.

CountingWizard posted:

Arcanum let you combine firearms with just about anything. Guns with swords, guns with explosives, guns with knives, guns shooting knives. You could even play as a gun toting mage if you didn't mind occasionally blowing yourself up.

It's a real shame that Arcanum never got an actual rebalance mod. I can't think of any other game that gave you so many options for building a character.

SurrealityCheck
Sep 15, 2012

Greenplastic posted:

Wow, I really like that. A bromance-system, if you will.

A really good male-female platonic relationship simulator. Let's break new ground here dudes!

zedprime
Jun 9, 2007

yospos

Clever Spambot posted:

I almost never used them in the infinity engine games but that was entirely because it was a massive hassle to change ammo types because you had to enter the inventory which paused the action. As long as its given some sort of quick-slot or you can change ammo by right clicking the weapon on the action bar or something that is easy I will use them all the time.

They should be sellable/buyable though.

This is all assuming they are interesting magical arrows that explode/debuff/status effect or whatever and not just dumb +1 arrows.
Right clicking for quick select ammo is exactly how infinity engine games work.

I think my favorite handling of ammo is as semi-permanent modifiers which helps mix up ranged weapons which can have some trouble with differentiation but doesn't force you to want to min max a backpack of ammo so you end up using 3 charges each of 100 types of ammo because that was what was needed at the time.

Sea Otter
Oct 9, 2012
Melee weapons don't have the luxury for additional modifiers through changing ammo types. Ranged attacks without heavy resource usages (including time) don't seem to be as effective as their melee counterparts. So, while I understand the wants for micromanagement-heavy ranged options, I think inventory/usage-based restrictions are quite common and reasonable. How much restriction would be reasonable is another issue, though. IMO, choices in filling the last slot with specialized ammo for a certain type of opponents, all-round one or destructive but very limited usage would be interesting semi-strategic option.

BTW, I'm presuming that slots for ammo and weapon are separated, though. At the moment, I wonder if ammo is going to be stored in Quick Item Slots.

DeepQantas
Jan 13, 2008

Ah, to be a Hero... Keeping such company...

Spikeguy posted:

Video game buddies are usually so awkward, designed by nerds who have never had a real buddy in their lives.

But as long as it's well written...
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GjOEcoMy2fI

El Pollo Blanco
Jun 12, 2013

by sebmojo

DeepQantas posted:

Video game buddies are usually so awkward, designed by nerds who have never had a real buddy in their lives.

But as long as it's well written...
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GjOEcoMy2fI

95% of videogames have about the same quality script as Darkplace, anyway.

Krowley
Feb 15, 2008

El Pollo Blanco posted:

95% of videogames have about the same quality script as Darkplace, anyway.

What is this dream world you're describing.

I don't think there's ever been a game that so brilliantly both mocks and celebrates itself with that level of finesse.

Shard
Jul 30, 2005

You guys sold me. I put in my donation for this and am really looking forward to it. I've been on a kick playing games like Torment and Baldur's Gate 2. And I love them but the age is starting to show. I also put in for the next Torment game too.It's going to be a good next couple of years between these games, Witcher 3 and Dragon Age 3 (fingers crossed).

The MSJ
May 17, 2010

I forgot if this was mentioned. Do wizards get a default ranged magic attack, similar to the mage staffs in Dragon Age?

coffeetable
Feb 5, 2006

TELL ME AGAIN HOW GREAT BRITAIN WOULD BE IF IT WAS RULED BY THE MERCILESS JACKBOOT OF PRINCE CHARLES

YES I DO TALK TO PLANTS ACTUALLY

The MSJ posted:

I forgot if this was mentioned. Do wizards get a default ranged magic attack, similar to the mage staffs in Dragon Age?

They get a Blast ability that adds AoE damage to any "implement" they use. Also any spell that's sufficiently beneath your level becomes unlimited use, though I don't know if any of those exist at first level.

Scorchy
Jul 15, 2006

Smug Statement: Elementary, my dear meatbag.

The MSJ posted:

Yeah wands.

Boz0r
Sep 7, 2006
The Rocketship in action.
They should do a romance plot that always ends up with the player getting friend-zoned. That would be hilarious.

The Moon Monster
Dec 30, 2005

The only thing slacker backing gets you at this point is a price discount, right?

El Pollo Blanco
Jun 12, 2013

by sebmojo

Boz0r posted:

They should do a romance plot that always ends up with the player getting friend-zoned. That would be hilarious.

Better still, if your PC is a woman, you have the option to friendzone literally everyone, up to and including the main antagonists of the plot.

Drifter
Oct 22, 2000

Belated Bear Witness
Soiled Meat

El Pollo Blanco posted:

Better still, if your PC is a woman, you have the option to friendzone literally everyone, up to and including the main antagonists of the plot.

Close, that's how he BECOMES the main antagonist.

"I was always ~*nice*~ to you, couldn't you TELL that I wanted you to ask me out?!?!?

Warmachine
Jan 30, 2012

The Moon Monster posted:

The only thing slacker backing gets you at this point is a price discount, right?

It looks like there's options for swag too. The $250 gets you a signed CE box, shirt, elite patch... most of the fixings it looks like. I'm having a hard time not buying this.

fake edit: In reality, I'll probably end up slacking the plain box CE and the digital expansion addon.

Rockstar Massacre
Mar 2, 2009

i only have a crazy life
because i make risky decisions
from a position of
unreasonable self-confidence
I think they should do a traditional BioWare romance, complete with sex scene, but afterwards your interest will act all awkward before telling you how terrible you were in bed.

I think Fallout 2 let you do this if you had low Charisma or something, actually.

Basic Chunnel
Sep 21, 2010

Jesus! Jesus Christ! Say his name! Jesus! Jesus! Come down now!

So it's pretty certain that they'll be introducing new stretch goals, right? I'd imagine the market is so saturated (so to speak) that they'll need new swag options to cover them. I'm sure there are some number of people who would upgrade from a lower pledge tier but I'm unsure if there are THAT many.

I'd also like to see a higher stretch goal making unused assets for potential modding purposes, but I'm not sure how feasible that even is as a concept.

FRINGE
May 23, 2003
title stolen for lf posting
There will probably be sequels/expansions so I am sure the modders will be fine no matter what.

Skellybones
May 31, 2011

Fun Shoe

Boz0r posted:

Surely one of the first things that would get modded out.

fuck off Batman
Oct 14, 2013

Yeah Yeah Yeah Yeah!

Shadeoses posted:

Surely one of the first things that would get modded out.

Unless the friend-zoned mechanic is hardcoded. Imagine the outrage..

evilmiera
Dec 14, 2009

Warmachine posted:

It looks like there's options for swag too. The $250 gets you a signed CE box, shirt, elite patch... most of the fixings it looks like. I'm having a hard time not buying this.

fake edit: In reality, I'll probably end up slacking the plain box CE and the digital expansion addon.

I'd back that just to give all that stuff away as a gift to a friend of mine who's real reluctant to back kickstarter-esque stuff, but christmas has been hard on the old economy.

CommissarMega
Nov 18, 2008

THUNDERDOME LOSER

Disco Infiva posted:

Unless the friend-zoned mechanic is hardcoded. Imagine the outrage..

Make this a new stretch goal, and Obsidian will become the United States' primary economic competition.

VanSandman
Feb 16, 2011
SWAP.AVI EXCHANGER
Honestly I'd prefer if any 'romance' subplots were handled like in KoToR 2: Mostly ignored because you've got much, much more important things to worry about.

Shard
Jul 30, 2005

From a business standpoint, does the company have anything to fear in terms of loss? Doesn't the backing from the public (more than the needed) mean that any money they make off this game is now a net gain?

coffeetable
Feb 5, 2006

TELL ME AGAIN HOW GREAT BRITAIN WOULD BE IF IT WAS RULED BY THE MERCILESS JACKBOOT OF PRINCE CHARLES

YES I DO TALK TO PLANTS ACTUALLY

Spikeguy posted:

From a business standpoint, does the company have anything to fear in terms of loss? Doesn't the backing from the public (more than the needed) mean that any money they make off this game is now a net gain?

Yuup.

(Assuming they don't put any of their own warchest (?) to it)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

No Dignity
Oct 15, 2007

Spikeguy posted:

That's how I understood it, I imagine Obsidian will still spend a modest amount of marketing but they'll get to keep all their sales profit for once as they're working under their own conditions on their own IP, if that doesn't give them a healthy return on their time I'd be shocked.

• Locked thread