Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Insurrectionist
May 21, 2007
Everything except the floaty party movement looked great. Definitely looking forward to more previews in the (hopefully near) future!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Insurrectionist
May 21, 2007
I'm also not a big fan of deciding stats at character creation, because there's often a lot of opacity when it comes to how certain things play out, that you need to experience as a player before finding. Like, if you're starting in IWD2 and want a Druid tank, the reasonable assumption would be that you want to make a shapeshifting druid with good Str/Dex/Con scores. Of course, the fact is physical stats don't matter (beyond feat access and the like) if you shapeshift, so you can pump Wis and Int or Cha if you do run one, and anyway non-shapeshifting Druids are better tanks than shapeshifting druids. But without playing the game, the first is very easily missed (I assume it's noted somewhere in the manual) or just won't register - the leap from 'shapeshifting forms have their own stats' to 'your base physical stats are mostly useless' isn't always logical - and the second seems entirely contradictory.

Insurrectionist
May 21, 2007

Fish Fry Andy posted:

I'm pretty sure the entire point of this stat system is to avoid that situation, which is why intelligence is a straight bonus to damage for every class instead of just one.

While I'm sure PoE won't have nearly this level of problems, even if we assume the problem of 'you don't get to use your base stats' isn't included, something like the second could definitely pop up. You see that sort of seemingly stupid/counter-intuitive stuff all the time in IE games, like magic being so powerful that spellcasters out-tank warriors, or how bard level progression often makes them better support-mages than single-class wizards, since they get the much better level modifiers on their spells (buff durations and dispel/remove magic being the key ones).

Insurrectionist
May 21, 2007
So you've said there's no player romance, but will any of the companions have romance of their own, even if only a beau back home that never shows up? Or is love a strictly non-companion privilege?

Also, I'm wondering given how undeath has been described, since there appears to be no 'contagious' undeath, will undead, unlike any other game pretty much, not flock together? Most other games have lower-ranked undead being servants of higher-ranked ones, necromancers, demons, whatever, and having minions is just about a staple of higher-ranked undead, but there doesn't seem to be any of that connection here judging by the update description. Will there be lonely skeletons barring our paths, or does game design necessity kinda take over? Cause that sounds kinda weak for an encounter.

Insurrectionist
May 21, 2007

Clever Spambot posted:

I don't see why they wouldn't move around in groups, humans are inherently social creatures even if you strip them down to just instinct.

The source of magic being souls rather than intelligence also allows them to have things like casters in groups of undead. It seems like they covered their bases pretty well for allowing room to do whatever they want with undead mechanically.

Well the issue is, for the first few stages of decomposition when they still have some intelligence, there's the issue of secrecy - the Fampyr can straight-up blend in with society, so they'd be unwilling to risk much by outing themselves as undead to potential fellow Fampyr. Obviously it could still happen at this stage though.
At later stages, it's simply an issue of scarcity - usually undead end up banding together because they're CREATED together, and/or with a specific purpose through necromancy. However, a person degenerating into a Gul or Revenant or Skeleton won't exactly have a community of fellow undead to hang out with, I doubt they have undead craigslist around. I guess if a bunch of people decided to go for 'clinical trials' simultaneously maybe, but even then it sounded more like undeath only started AFTER death, so unless they all died at similar times that still doesn't seem to check out.

Insurrectionist
May 21, 2007

Drifter posted:

If you want to try and use that argument - if you fire a bazooka, even with the greatest of aim and precision, you're still going to have a really big explosion. The best aim in the world can't minimize that. You can mitigate it by aiming away from things, but that explosion's still going to exist.

But mages firing an AoE can do the equivalent of deciding what missile to fire. Your example assumes that no matter what you learn about bazookas even if you're the most experienced and capable bazooka-man in the world...you can't actually decide what goes in the bazooka. In this analogy a max int mage is just a mage that can fire a tiny rock or a nuke from said bazooka.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Insurrectionist
May 21, 2007

Masonity posted:

That's a problem whichever route they get. Physical tier people either get the disk and all other goods late, or everything in time for launch plus the disk following later. They won't have a disk at release either way.

Well, yes. But it seems the only reasons for this is the wish to be DRM-free - which surely you could just allow people to opt out of so they can get their discs and patcher on time - and the worry about leaks, which is weak.

I mean, I don't even have a physical tier backed and can get it downloaded fast so it doesn't matter much to me. But if I had poo poo internet, I would probably have backed for a physical copy solely so I could get it and play it, and having to wait weeks for that would piss me off hard, like cancel-order pissed if this was a regular sale and not a KS reward.

• Locked thread