Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Republican Vampire
Jun 2, 2007

Quantumfate posted:

I would back this game thrice over if that were a magical item.

Has there been any news on how enchanting works? I know crafting and enchanting have been seriously overhauled after the crafting skill was cut, but I'm wondering if it's a TES-Style system, some sort of kludge like the flail in BG2, or something more akin to swapping out crystals and components in KOTOR 2.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Republican Vampire
Jun 2, 2007

CharlieFoxtrot posted:

Maybe they got access to the World of Darkness IP? A follow-up to Vampire? Stretch goals: Bring the rest of Troika back together.
This would actually not be surprising. CCP used a spate of kickstarters to fund tabletop projects for White Wolf properties through Onyx Path. It would really just be an extension of that.

That said, I think Obsidian would be a better fit for nWOD since it's all weird politics and odd lore. Geist in particular seems like an Obsidian kinda game since it's all about weird mythologies and ideologies. The various tribes of New Vegas would probably work as Krewes.

Demiurge4 posted:

gently caress you all for putting the idea of a WoD Obsidian game into my head. gently caress. You. All.

It will never happen :smith:
I'm pretty sure they actually were working on a WoD game before CCP bought WW and decided to do their (likely vaporware) MMO. I think it was mentioned in kickstarter comments in response to a question about whether or not they'd want to do a horror game.

Republican Vampire fucked around with this message at 03:19 on Dec 15, 2013

Republican Vampire
Jun 2, 2007

CottonWolf posted:

How does alignment actually work in D&D? I've never really understood it, but then again, I've never played full on PnP D&D. Is it set at birth? As in, is a child is born and a character with detect alignment can look at them and say 'Little Johnny's going to grow up to be a chaotic evil psychopath' or is it more fluid than that? I remember that in PS:T you could move alignment, but PS:T also broke a load of other traditional D&D rules, so that's probably not a good guide.

There are reminders in like, a dozen or more D&D manuals that the rules are really just guidelines rather than, you know, hard rules. In my experience, that's really the advantage of tabletop. You can play with guidelines and wiggle room and if something's interesting, cool, impressively thought out, or just plain PRACTICAL you can ignore hard limits and math. In games you have to come up with scripted sequences (Like Viconia in BG2:ToB) or with point systems (Like most video game morality systems) in order to make it work.

GreatGreen posted:

So hey, it's been talked about that this game will stay relatively "low level" in character progression and development throughout its scope, right?

What does that mean for character progression? Does this mean that once you get through character creation, that character will change very little throughout the course of the entire game? About how many more skills, or about how much more complex, or how many more options will an end-game character have than one fresh out of the starter dungeon?

From what I understand it's not "low level", it's low to mid level. Hasn't BGI been cited as an example of the kind of progression you'd see?

Republican Vampire
Jun 2, 2007

Atton was interesting because, even though he theoretically broke down to broad didactic stuff about Star Wars that only dorky spergs care about, his criticism of said broad didactic stuff was justified by characterization to the point that you don't really notice that it's about how terrifying and hosed up Jedi are until you do his Jedi-fication quest. Up until that point it just seems like his (admittedly valid) perspective, which sort of troubles the kind of perspective most players have about Star Wars. Atton is used to being the storm trooper that's told that these aren't the droids he's looking for, and he's got coping mechanisms to respond to that. What's interesting about him is that he responds to the fantastical in a practical way that informs about his character.

I kind of feel like most fantasy games don't get that. Characters fall into player-friendly whedonesque roles without any regard for that broader sense of how they ought to function in society.

Republican Vampire
Jun 2, 2007

The Sharmat posted:

Every Bioware game feels like that to me. I get the impression the way they structure their story team is a lot less, for lack of a better word, centralized, than what they do at Obsidian. So they kind of end up with the stone soup effect where a bunch of concepts are implemented independently but don't really have anything to do with each other.

See: Mass Effect. On the one hand, fairly hard scifi (by video game standards) Geth society. On the other, blue space strippers. It didn't know if it wanted to be 2001 or Star Trek.

I think the issue's more with Bioware's overall approach than with disorganization. Based on what David Gaider and Sheryl Chee have said online, their process for writing characters is basically pastiche, and I think that that applies to the design of their settings as well.

Republican Vampire
Jun 2, 2007

MadJackMcJack posted:

Not really, probably because Paradox are one of the few publishers not seen as the Anti-Christ.

People have also already gotten used to the idea of crowd funded games having publishers/distributors because inXile hooked up with Deep Silver.

Republican Vampire
Jun 2, 2007

Fair Bear Maiden posted:

I don't think that's true. I mean, it might be true for some backers, even the majority of them, but look at how the press is covering it. Both Eurogamer and Rock, Paper, Shotgun acted flabbergasted, and honestly, while most seem to have taken it well, there were plenty of negative reactions on the Obsidian forums, NeoGAF, Eurogamer comments, etc. It's no skin off my nose, but as a developer you have to tread carefully.

Yeah but the press insisted that South Park was incredibly buggy because it's more about what gives good story and about established narratives. I haven't really seen any outcry except from journalists who seem to be predicting that there's going to be a backlash that hasn't materialized.

Lugaloco posted:

Why is the head image a Skyrim screenshot? This interview is a bit bananas.

The same shot was used in an interview where one of Obsidian's post-PoE project ideas was compared to Skyrim in terms of stuff like quest structure. So it's probably tagged as being a PoE shot. It's also a fairly hostile interview so I wouldn't be surprised if the guy just grabbed a random shot on the way to publishing it.

Republican Vampire
Jun 2, 2007

The people making stupid racist comments on 4chan have no idea what they're talking about? Surely you jest!

Republican Vampire
Jun 2, 2007

SunAndSpring posted:

Well, this is new lore, so I guess they wouldn't have known if they cared to look for info on this game before they started putting on the Reich.

It's not really new lore though? Unless I'm missing something they're just being mad about the Vailians being represented by black people in concept art.

e: Considering that the only Vailians we've seen were in a piece of concept art released last may? It really comes off as racists looking for a reason to be racist and whiny.

Republican Vampire fucked around with this message at 05:55 on Apr 22, 2014

Republican Vampire
Jun 2, 2007

Speaking of that, um... what are the chances of Aquatic Aumaua having kapa/tapa cloth or something similar in their portraits? A couple previews have called them polynesian, but I don't know if we've seen anything. I'm only asking because I'm kinda super into Polynesian (especially Hawaiian) history.

Republican Vampire
Jun 2, 2007

rope kid posted:

We've only done the coastal aumaua portraits so far (the ones typically from near Rauatai) and they don't have much/any Polynesian flavor. The island aumaua are supposed to have more Polynesian and Japanese elements to their clothing but we haven't done their portraits yet. I have a little bit of familiarity with various Pacific Islander cultures and Kaz (our artist who made the Sagani, Eder, and Pallegina concepts) grew up in Japan, so hopefully they will have a nice blend of elements.

Thanks for replying, and it's cool that this is something you think about. I'm just weirdly into it because I took a couple courses and read a couple books and got weirdly into the history of textiles.

Republican Vampire
Jun 2, 2007

Jimbot posted:

I'm not a huge fan of downer endings, especially in games. I rather have, a RPG, an ending that is the sum of my actions rather than some edgy downer ending that makes me feel like crap. If it's a linear story-driven game then I rather have a nice ending that makes me feel good and happy about my experience. The real world is depressing enough, so I rather not have it bleed into my electronic entertainment. For example, net neutrality is dead and everything on the net will be subject to the greedy whims of select corporations, namely your ISP because they spend hundreds of millions of dollars lobbying the government to rule as such. That's the real world and is actually happen right now. I want to play a game to escape that fact for a few hours.

See, I disagree because a nice ending that makes me feel good rarely feels like it really is the culmination of everything I've done in the game. It feels cheap and unearned and it takes me right out of it. That's part of why I like the Fallout games so much, especially 2 and New Vegas. The endings actually feel like they reflect what happened in the game because they're a bit complicated and sometimes bittersweet.

Wolfsheim posted:

Three characters, actually; you're forgetting the robot. Worth noting though that one of the companions in question, the ghoul, had a backstory wherein he specifically followed every command held by anyone who holds his contract, no matter how immoral or unconscionable. In the end, you ask him to help you out and he just goes "Nah, I'm not helping you this time. Do it yourself."

Fallout 3 really is the worst.

Fallout 3's companions were, IIRC, added ludicrously late in development after there was a lot of fan backlash. Hence pretty much all of them using Bethesda's 'generic' voice actors and so on.

Republican Vampire
Jun 2, 2007

Don Mega posted:

Someone left a hilariously sad comment on that article.

"No romance options is a serious enthusiasm killer for me. I know it’s not important to most people, but to me it’s one of the things that makes WRPG’s worth playing. I was really hyped for this too…hopefully someone mods some in post launch."

The best part is that he has an anime name/avatar and the three replies to his post are people telling him he's dumb for wanting token romances.

Republican Vampire
Jun 2, 2007

Bloody Hedgehog posted:

Games have changed too much and that sort of thing would never fly in todays market. People would shun the game in droves.

The Stalker devs wanted to do the same thing, where rival Stalkers could complete quests and even complete the main quest ahead of you. People cried foul so long and so loud that the devs took it out of the game.

I thought they cut that out because the system they had in place led to NPCs finishing quests ludicrously quickly.

That said, If you wanna have NPCs doing quests, give them their own quests that are commented on by random NPCs or have them turn up at various points in the PC's version of the quest. Simulationism is not a virtue in and of itself.

Republican Vampire
Jun 2, 2007

So, no blunt weapons are turning up in the shop. Anywhere I could get one to make those beetles a bit less annoying?

Also is there any word on what the Legacy is and why does it mean that everyone's infertile

Republican Vampire
Jun 2, 2007

I didn't see this posted, sorry if it has been. Ropekid did a guest editorial on Kotaku about the hows and whys of balancing single player games. It's pretty cool.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Republican Vampire
Jun 2, 2007

The Joe Man posted:

I'm kinda worried because that puzzle actually made total sense to me. Either that or I'm old.

Didn't that puzzle involve pretending you had a massive 'stache to impersonate someone who didn't have one because it was some kind of dumb kludge?

• Locked thread