Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
No Dignity
Oct 15, 2007

Fintilgin posted:

I hope the new kickstarter is something wild and crazy setting wise. Like an RPG where you're a private eye in the 1930s investigating supernatural stuff, or an RPG where you're a Soviet/American astronaut who crashlands on a HG Wells/Barsoom/Bradbury style Mars in the 1980s. Something that isn't "The Forgotten Realms (with a zesty lemon twist!)" or "Fallout (but green and overgrown)" or "Star Wars (with a new coat of paint)", or any other "Game You've Played a Bunch (but changed enough we don't get sued)".

I guess that sounds like I'm ragging on Eternity, but I'm not really. I've got a fuckin' Forgotten Realms D&D avatar. I imagine Eternity is going to fit like a comfy old pair of shoes. But what I want is something weird and unconventional that I haven't seen before.

I had thought they might do off-brand Fallout, but that seems a little close to Wasteland 2 to me.

I'll be very curious to see what they're planning.

I'd imagine it'll be something at least part-way rooted in nostalgia, Obsidian are a big company to go to kickstarter and they'll want to rack up the funds again as they did with PoE, something cool you remember from your gaming childhood which isn't being catered to today is a far safer bet for a £4m budget that a genre-experimental title that may not cater to quite so many tastes. Of course I'm not a professional kickstarter pundit but that would seem to be the obvious direction to move in for me, inExile struck gold twice doing it and I'd imagine they'll want to do the same.

Fintilgin posted:

I like the concept of a time travel RPG, but that concept art reminded me of how bored I am of all future architecture being made of steel and exposed machinery. You've got matter extruders and fancy sci-fi stuff, why not make the places you live look pleasant and inviting? Why does everything have to be exposed conduits and metal deck plating? (It's so you know it's the ~future~ :ssh: )

Have you read any of Iain M Bank's Culture series perchance? He's one of the only sci-fi writers I've ever seen run with what an incomprehensibly advanced civilisation could do with materials given their near absolutely control over their environment, there's some pretty novel imagery in there.

No Dignity fucked around with this message at 01:52 on Dec 12, 2013

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

No Dignity
Oct 15, 2007

Yeah, the background writing done for Morrowind is basically the best part of the game, it's weird as gently caress and basically what a world full of actually-existing pantheistic deities and all that entails would actually look like. I'd love to see Obsidian get to write prequel title set in Tamriel's history before Bethesda decided to try and make it boilerplate high fantasy.

No Dignity
Oct 15, 2007

Sadly though the Malazan mythology is wasted as a series of really badly written books, all the interesting stuff is buried under mountains and mountains of dense and turgid prose and the world-building is nearly always at odds with actual story-telling. What's nice about TES is you can examine the world at your own pace, do as much or as little in-world reading as you like and absorb alot of the culture and atmosphere passively as you play through the game, Malazan would probably actually make a great FPRPG in the same vein actually.

No Dignity
Oct 15, 2007

Megazver posted:

Yeah. Sigh. I tried the first book and I've pushed through two thirds of it when I've realized I was not going to read a single page more, ever. But apparently the first one was the worst one and from second on it was a masterpiece of fantasydom! Yeaaaaaah no. Didn't try the third one.

I'd just like to add that the series, contrary to goonsay, actually got worse as it went on. Erikson got offered a ten book contract round about the time of the third or forth title and immediately lost any incentive to tell a structured, well paced story, instead we got chapters and chapters of brooding internal monologues and nonsense cod-philosophy and directionless subplots by the bucketload.

coffeetable posted:

I'll never understand people who want licensed titles over fresh IP :psyduck:

I don't think people were saying the kickstarter should necessarily be a licensed title but Obsidian have taken on plenty of commission work in the past for other developers IPs and if by some comsic miracle, Bethesda actually hired Obsidian to produce a full budget TES title with reasonable creative freedom, we wouldn't lose sleep over it.

No Dignity
Oct 15, 2007

Yeah, this outcry over ~my strength immersion~ is ridiculous, it's great mechanic design and gives the player far more freedom in designing their characters. Just sit down, shut up and let the expert game designer do his work.

No Dignity
Oct 15, 2007

verybad posted:

That's almost certainly true for every other game as well, and it is no guarantee of success. We should keep an open mind and trust Obsidian, yes, but we should also give feedback on these things. I'm sure ropekid is aware that the current system isn't a one that makes intuitive sense to the playerbase, but how bad of a problem that is becomes only apparent from our reactions to it. If we're really uncomfortable with it, we should be making that big a-bloo-bloo about it so he knows he needs to change the system/its presentation. On other hand, if we're chill about it, he knows it's not a problem and they can focus on other aspects of the design.

The problem is people aren't complaining that it's weak design so much as they're complaining that it ruins their authentic fantasy world simulation, and it's a bit rich to suggest that it's not intuitive when in order to complain about they design decision they've had to fully parse and comprehend it already. It's not that hard to rationalise INT as damage on melee characters anyway, just imagine it represents outplaying your opponent in the fight, landing blows in nasty places and superior combat form.

No Dignity
Oct 15, 2007

Drifter posted:

WHen the elves turn you into a half-dragon man, you have two extra stat points to invest.

I feel my neural pathways ... becoming more sophisticated in construction. (+1 INT gained, Perk: Half-Caste: Dragon gained)

No Dignity
Oct 15, 2007

Spikeguy posted:

From a business standpoint, does the company have anything to fear in terms of loss? Doesn't the backing from the public (more than the needed) mean that any money they make off this game is now a net gain?

That's how I understood it, I imagine Obsidian will still spend a modest amount of marketing but they'll get to keep all their sales profit for once as they're working under their own conditions on their own IP, if that doesn't give them a healthy return on their time I'd be shocked.

No Dignity
Oct 15, 2007

Captain Oblivious posted:

But on the other hand, Talimancers.

Eh, fetishising misery and dysfunction is also pretty weird imo.

No Dignity
Oct 15, 2007

Captain Oblivious posted:

I feel like sentiments like this are given more weight than they deserve. Aside from Elanee, who is satire, there is no Obsidian romance that "fetishizes misery and dysfunction". Torment romances don't end well but I'd call Annah far more bittersweet than miserable.

I was referring more to the goons rubbing their hands together in glee at the idea of Avellone writing a bunch of misanthropic anti-romances, I agree Obsidian's not actually been too bad on that front.

No Dignity
Oct 15, 2007

Drifter posted:

I'm confused at what you're wanting to accomplish with that? If you want realism in the fantasy world, well it's more realistic that most people don't have the time or energy or are living in a culture that imposes this type of learning to develop those abilities. You'll note that there are some cultures in fantasy worlds where people do learn magic because it's part of their cultural heritage. So it's not like it's a thing that can't exist.

It's great that Pathfinder does what it does, I guess. You using it as an example of your desires doesn't much create any evidence for your argument. How's a normal adventurer going to learn their skills? Are there vocational schools that teach them what they'll need to know to survive? Then maybe there's a class for cantrips. Are they just random farmers or citizens who get caught up in a rough and tumble world? Where would a poor farmer or random shopkeep ever find the time or opportunity to learn magic?

If your larger world supports everyone learning magic, fine, but it's not a thing you should just be all, well air and dirt exists so I guess everyone should be an elementalist because they use it all the time.

Uh maybe fantasy is inherently unrealistic and nods to reality should only be included as and when they compliment the setting and plot?? Just a thought

e: seriously though, insisting on approaching magic as a deterministic form of hyper mathematics is a problem in itself, it works for some settings fine, but as mentioned above most classical depictions of magic portray it as somewhat miraculous and transcendent of peoples level of book-learnin', what's wrong with that? Even PoE, despite its nods to D&D mechanics and its somewhat quantifiable world has magic come from inside people and usable (in different ways) by anyone with enough gumption.

No Dignity fucked around with this message at 11:02 on Jan 7, 2014

No Dignity
Oct 15, 2007

Canuck-Errant posted:

Can we all just agree that bottlecaps are a water-backed currency?

A wetback currency, if you will

I think the real thing we need to recognise is that bottlecaps are a currency actually tied to Purestrain Water reserves, they're living the TobleroneTrianglular dream out in the wasteland!

No Dignity
Oct 15, 2007

I'm pretty sure there's a screeching pedant missing from RPGCodex at the moment.

No Dignity
Oct 15, 2007

bathroom sounds posted:

I think a more fair interpretation would be
If rolling a rogue is proposed as a way to play a more Baldur's Gate-themed woodsman ranger character in PoE, then I hope I won't be railroaded by class-based subplots like the strongholds in BG2.

Though I guess your post gets to the heart of it -- PoE says "Ranger" = X and I say "Ranger" = Y. I lose. :v:

There's going to be one really in-depth stronghold for all classes so you can play a ranged rogue, stack Survival and likely not know the difference.

No Dignity
Oct 15, 2007

Overminty posted:

If we're doing clearly unobtainable voices my vote is for this man

Sadly David Warner's moved back to the UK now but otherwise I wouldn't have thought it would been an impossible task to get him, the dude's like a less dignified Orson Welles; he'd probably appear in a harem JRPG if you offered him food and board.

e: comedy option: Quinton Flynn doing his JACK'S BACK! voice

No Dignity
Oct 15, 2007

Sleep of Bronze posted:

Kevin Michael Richardson's narration was one of the things that made Baldur's Gate. Lots of it required you to ... use your imagination ... to make the best of it, because BGI didn't have the greatest content density ever produced but the chapter and dream sequences with that voice over were just fantastic.

Yeah, this is probably the best shout imo, his voice was really evocative and atmospheric and it'd be a perfect (and I imagine affordable?) callback to the original games.

No Dignity
Oct 15, 2007

Those Death Godlikes have True Doom Murderheads.

No Dignity
Oct 15, 2007

quote:

What you have just done is experienced the full continuum of undeath. Corporeal undead in this world all suffer from the same malady, and are merely in different stages of decomposition. How do you get this condition? It's usually something that you would get by commissioning an unscrupulous animancer to help you live forever, or by volunteering for a "harmless clinical trial." These ladies and gentlemen have been studying a certain banned piece of literature known as the Theorems of Padgram and are trying to develop a true path to immortality. But there are supposedly other ways - certain alchemical tinctures, ancient architecturally-embedded machinery, self-pleasure (according to some disapproving Dyrwoodan moms), etc.

You start as a fampyr. (And these names are not different-for-the-sake-of-different - they're just following location-appropriate linguistic rules.) By appearances, you're basically a normal person who is going through a bit of a cannibal phase.
Allow yourself to decompose for a while, and you start to lose control of your urges, and your memory begins to slip away. Your self-consciousness is flimsy. You are now what's called a dargul.
Much more decomposition, and you become bestial. Your hair is gone (if it wasn't already), the flesh sags on your bones, and you live only to feed your hunger. You are a gul, but you don't give it much thought at this point. You just think you are hungry.
Then your mind gets really pretty thoroughly rotted, like what happens if you play a lot of FPSes, and you're only running at the basest level of instinct. You have no memory. You, my friend, are a revenant, and you are not very fun at parties.
After the last bit of flesh falls away, and the last mildly complicated neural synaptic path fires for the final time, you're running on pure reflex. You're not even hungry anymore (no stomach!). Your body is a murderous automaton. You are a skeleton, and your next step is dust.

:siren: Umbrella Corporation confirmed for PoE! :siren:

Seriously though that genuinely sounds pretty gross and freaky, nice job with the body-horror angle to whoever wrote that.

No Dignity
Oct 15, 2007

Parrying is pretty twitched based and rolling can be too, but yeah it's perfectly possible to play without those mechanics and succeed pretty much on good tactical decision-making and strong build planning, they really made a conscious effort in Dark Souls to let you legitimately play the game in multiple styles.

No Dignity
Oct 15, 2007

Greenplastic posted:

But what if the guy is the such a good ruler he's the one keeping stability in an entire region, and his deposition would have serious consequences? Dilemmas like that can be pretty interesting.

No that's tedious grimdark wank, personally I hope Obsidian can write scenarios more interesting than 'the Trolley Problem as imagined by a deviant teenager'.

No Dignity
Oct 15, 2007

redweird posted:

It's tedious if you reduce it to that. However, the real meat and potatoes is how you decide to deal with the problem, which is also gameplay. The rammifications of your choice also become gameplay. Also, you might think how your character would deal with that problem, and roleplay his/her reaction to that, in an RPG. There's plenty of fun scenarios in games that boil down to the Trolley Problem, but are fun because they aren't so basic as "take action to take the life of one to save five. "

My problem with this type of scenario is that there is nothing interesting or thought-provoking about it, it's a nihilistic damned-if-you-do damned-if-you-don't moral cesspit. New Vegas managed to have a plausible, engaging scenario with multifaceted moral choices without resorting to 'if you kill Caesar a chemical weapon will go off in The Strip, killing all the babies. Pretty twisted huh? Makes you think ...' and I'd like to think Obsidian can continue to write mature, challenging stories and scenarios without resorting to grim nihilism for its own sake.

No Dignity fucked around with this message at 15:29 on Feb 27, 2014

No Dignity
Oct 15, 2007

double nine posted:

On the other hand, they kind of do that in Alpha Protocol? Do you save the one girl you know or the hundred anonymous people in the bombing? AP kind of gets away with it because of the charisma of the bad guy and he willfully set you up for it, but it still leaves a sour taste.

Yeah, that's probably one of the low-points of the game and that's still framed as a classic 'needs of the many vs needs of the few' conflict rather than just 'awful situation A vs awful situation B'. But yeah, Marburg's scenery stealing villainry aside the writing in Rome was pretty mediocre and that bit in particular felt like it had been lifted directly out of Mass Effect 1.

No Dignity
Oct 15, 2007

GreatGreen posted:

I for one hope there's always a nice safe flowers and rainbows solution for every possible situation because boy do I hate making hard decisions or being out of my comfort zone at all for even an instant.

And why do people listen to metal music, by the way? It sounds so angry!

Everything should be pleasant.

Yep that's exactly what I said, nice job skewering me dude!

Otto Skorzeny posted:

FONV also had plenty of grimdark manufactured moral greyness (save the vault 34 survivors and doom the sharecroppers or vice versa, bland subversion of the western lawman trope via Meyers (and honestly all the endings to that quest are various degrees of bad for Primm)). It is very, very difficult to write moral complexity into a story well. It is very, very difficult to put a new spin on old archetypes well in any medium (Gurm and M. Night Shyamalan both had some great success before failing miserably, despite working in far more forgiving media than a game!). I'm willing to give an author a lot of leeway in the attempt just because this poo poo ain't easy.

I don't disagree with any of this (though in three playthroughs I never found Vault 34 or knew there was any quest to do with the sharecroppers!) but for the most part the major story beats avoided those false dilemmas, it was perfectly possible to walk away from New Vegas more-or-less happy with how things turned out! I guess I don't begrudge contrived moral choices if they occasionally crop up and don't heavily define the game but I really don't see why they should be considered a desirable goal in game-writing, especially when the when the same designers have already tried to move past those cliches and started to focus on more value lead role-playing scenarios.

No Dignity
Oct 15, 2007

Munin posted:

For pretty drat epic in their way boss battles I would point to some of the more modern Ys games (...). Obviously not that good a guide for RTwP games.

On that note, what are the memorable fights from games like BG for people around here?

Off the top of my head; Firkraag, Irenicus, all of the Accension ToB encounters were pretty distinct and enjoyable, I imagine the Icewind Dale series has some pretty good stuff there too, being a combat-focused title.

No Dignity fucked around with this message at 21:33 on Mar 10, 2014

No Dignity
Oct 15, 2007

rope kid posted:

The 10th is Rational, sort of a counterpart to Passionate.

> Goddamnit Jim we can't just leave them down there to die! [major: passionate]

> Conversely Doctor, if we are to save the colony that is exactly what we must do. [major: rational}

Can we get [Having your cake and eating it] as a third eleventh trait?

No Dignity
Oct 15, 2007

DancingShade posted:

I would love to have Sterling Archer -like conversation options sprinkled throughout the game.

*directs u towards Alpha Protocol*

No Dignity
Oct 15, 2007

pun pundit posted:

I'm pretty sure there were no "Hold on, I had something for this..." lines in Alpha Protocol. Or claims to have invented the tactical turtleneck.

Steven Heck is Archer's spirit-brother.

No Dignity
Oct 15, 2007

Sea Otter posted:

Thank you for the reply. Yeah, you kindly explained it before but, simply, I guess it was hard for me to separate the capability nuance from the word clever. To my ears, "sarcastic" or "cynical" would sound be more suitable since they are more of personality/attitude rather than ability but, here, I guess I'm wandering into the tricky maze of "wording" again. :P

Those phrasings would imply your character is actually funny and self-aware, I like the connotation of 'clever' being an insufferable smart-arse who pisses everyone off with inopportune jokes (i.e. the only good thing in DA2).

No Dignity
Oct 15, 2007

zedprime posted:

That's where we disagree. As silly as the marketing hype was about the button-awesome connection was for DA2 the intent was valid. DAO was kind of dumb where you set your melee up with passives and just enough focus or stamina for an oh poo poo stun while you microed your mages.

This is how I played Baldur's Gate and it's how I intend to play PoE. Ropekid's said all classes are going to be able to tilt towards passive or active playstyles so you'll be able to play the game as you want and I'll be able to play the game as I want, where's the harm in that?

No Dignity
Oct 15, 2007

zedprime posted:

Finite development resources for animations and sounds.

You know what I mean.

At a certain point you need to ask why a completely passive character isn't just a set of buffs other characters can take with an overall smaller party. I'm not saying everything needs to have pro StarCraft APM. But having to pay attention to something goes a long wag to making it feel like it has a point in being there. I wouldn't be arguing so much if this games inspiration wasn't set up in one of the worst ways to still be fun.

Because I like having a low-maintence DPS who hits dudes really hard!? Ropekid's repeated stated one of the design goals is to accommodate a diverse number number of playstyles and budgeted development accordingly, I have no idea why you're so hung up on people wanting to play a game differently to you, that choice is a good thing!

No Dignity
Oct 15, 2007

I can see why rope kid wasn't dancing up and down with glee like last time now :geno:

No Dignity
Oct 15, 2007

Gyshall posted:

I would actually help fund an ARM goal :v:

I miss them good ol' days when you'd have to look up Word 6, Line 22 on Page 34 in the manual to unlock a game.

Stockholm Syndrome is a tragic thing.

No Dignity
Oct 15, 2007

Spikeguy posted:

Has any kind of release date been given outside of a generic winter 2014?

Due to issues with Paradox development will cease Summer 2014 but the game is not expected to be released until Spring 2016 soonest.

No Dignity
Oct 15, 2007

Steve2911 posted:

Wasn't the whole Tansy thing because he regretted forcing Lysa to abort Littlefinger's child using a tansy flower?

Exactly

No Dignity
Oct 15, 2007

Disco Infiva posted:

I think Phlegmish didn't call out that poster for making fun of that creepy guy and his foot fetish, but for calling him "white guy" like it's an insult. That's why it's tumblr.

Oh come on, the crossover between MRAs and people who start sobbing about the trials of the white man in Obama's America are practically 1:1, it's not an unfair assumption to make. And really, if we can't share a laugh about a guy wanting to murder a character for having unsexy feet in our deep, nuanced story-led RPG we may as well pack up and move to RPGCodex.

No Dignity
Oct 15, 2007

Phlegmish posted:

That guy is a dumbass for sure, but Kibayasu's random tirade about 'white people' is almost just as cringeworthy. What the gently caress is even the connection.

MRAs are often racist and vice versa, it's a pretty accurate way of describing a certain type of angry unpleasant nerd.

No Dignity
Oct 15, 2007

I'm gonna be a huge dweeb and play a good natured, ethically consistent hero; a 'Fantasy Justice Warrior' if you will.

No Dignity
Oct 15, 2007

I'm not sure if I imagined this or not but did I read something about getting the same 'you must gather your party before venturing forth' dude back to record some stuff for PoE? Because that would be fantastic.

No Dignity
Oct 15, 2007

Fair Bear Maiden posted:

It's okay, no one quotes Something Awful, you can talk about it. :shepface:

This was a trending article of the BBC News website yesterday

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

No Dignity
Oct 15, 2007

Fair Bear Maiden posted:

I have to imagine you wanted to find an excuse to post that article? But, just to be abundantly clear: I wasn't even remotely serious and I don't expect GetWellGamers to break an NDA, especially in the very place where one of the guys that'd be affected posts.

Eh, I just thought it was a funny example of SA's continued 'relevance' after you made a joke about SA being irrelevant, sorry it bugged you so much.

• Locked thread