Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Jastiger
Oct 11, 2008

by FactsAreUseless
Clicked this thread on a whim and read the OP. Holy poo poo I'm an idiot for not doing it sooner. I consider the Baldurs Gate type games to be the best and most engrossing gaming experiences ever.

Wow, I'm so glad this is coming about.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jastiger
Oct 11, 2008

by FactsAreUseless
Forums back up and this thread going strong.

I'm so torn. I want to pre order to get all the extras but...pre ordering is scary and such a big commitment.

What is the verdict on that and the final price? Also when is the official release date?

Jastiger
Oct 11, 2008

by FactsAreUseless

Furism posted:

If you're not sure you're into a modernized IE game with a rulebase that fixes all of D&D 2/3/3.5 flaws, then don't pre-order. If you even remotely want to play Baldur's Gate right now, then pre-order PoE.

I consider Baldurs Gate to be one of my absolute favorite gaming experiences of all time. Indeed....

Jastiger
Oct 11, 2008

by FactsAreUseless

Captain Oblivious posted:

I've always found that Bioware games excel at presentation more than any one particular thing. Individual things might be flawed, like AD&D being obtuse garbage that is impenetrable to new players, or Mass Effect 1s gameplay being a mediocre RPG and a mediocre shooter taped together.

But the music, the art, the characters always really come together to sell the experience. No game makes me feel like a high fantasy hero on a sweeping epic like BG2. No game captures the pulpy space opera adventure feeling like Mass Effect. Bioware might be more style than substance but when it works it works.

This. I replayed bg1 and 2 and find both to be extremely engrossing in a way that hasn't really been captured since. From Xan to Viconia to Mazzy to yes, even Khalid and Jaheira I find the characters to mostly be very memorable. Same for Mass Effect. The characters are really interesting.

They also did a pretty decent job of making every play style useful and effective.
This is why I'm so pumped for PoE. It looks to recapture that magic

Jastiger
Oct 11, 2008

by FactsAreUseless
Awwww now you're saying I gotta get ID, ID 2 and PS:T?! None of which are available on Steam >:(

Jastiger
Oct 11, 2008

by FactsAreUseless
Yeah gog had it earlier. I have clearance to get those games. So excite

Clouds appear overhead and thunder rolls in the distance. Jastiger now owns Icewind Dale, Icewind Dale 2, and Planescape: Torment. Muahahahahahaha. And soon Pillars of Eternity. Woo!

Jastiger fucked around with this message at 04:19 on Jun 29, 2014

Jastiger
Oct 11, 2008

by FactsAreUseless
Probably the billionth person to ask this....release date yet?

Jastiger
Oct 11, 2008

by FactsAreUseless
Oh its not looking good? Boo :(

Jastiger
Oct 11, 2008

by FactsAreUseless

evilmiera posted:

Oh the beta is looking good, for a very early beta. It is just that it needs a lot of work with bugfixing and tweaking.

Ah I'm super excited then! This game is going to be great, and I'd rather it be great than not-so-great because of it being rushed.

Jastiger
Oct 11, 2008

by FactsAreUseless
So is the final retail version going to be $50? or do I need to splurge for $60 to get all the extra goodies?

Jastiger
Oct 11, 2008

by FactsAreUseless
Just saw its up for pre order on steam. Dang this game is a full $50?

Jastiger
Oct 11, 2008

by FactsAreUseless

rope kid posted:

Passive Talents either have class-specific or general icons. You only ever see them on the selection screen. We're going to be organizing the Talents list with tabs so it's easier to sort them.

Serious question. Can any creature of any size be gibbed, i.e. crit hitting a dragon and gibbing it? A pre order hangs in the balance to this question.

Jastiger
Oct 11, 2008

by FactsAreUseless

rope kid posted:

Any creature has the ability to be gibbed, but certain creatures (e.g. spirits) don't have gib models because it would look weird. Some creatures need to have custom gibs made to match their appearance or it's extra goofy. The core game logic just checks to see if the attack that killed them was a Crit and if they have gib models. If both are true, they will spawn gibs.

Pre order approved! But...if I can't gib a dragon or something, Ima be sad:( But I was gonna pre order anyways, the game looks awesome, and someeone who cares enough about it to consistently post here is truly dedicated so you deserve it anyways.

Jastiger
Oct 11, 2008

by FactsAreUseless
I know this isn't the current discussion and has probably been asked before but....when is this coming out?

I plan on throwing myself into it 110% and I need to know when I need to have my gaming table cleared for what is looking like the best game of 2015 that I've seen so far.

Jastiger
Oct 11, 2008

by FactsAreUseless
Thanks for the heads up.

Jastiger
Oct 11, 2008

by FactsAreUseless
HOw many enemy adventurer parties will there be in the game? Or are they randomly generated?

I ask because I have fond memories of those fights in Baldurs Gate 1 and 2 where the enemies were just lke you and you really had to use your head to get through them.

Jastiger
Oct 11, 2008

by FactsAreUseless
I literally have exactly enough in my Steam Wallet for this game. All other game purchases are on hold. I kind of hope it goes on sale again heheee....but I'll buy it anyways when it comes out! Awesome!

Jastiger
Oct 11, 2008

by FactsAreUseless
I have asked a few times before, and I know I am already apostate for not being a kickstarter backer (in fairness, didn't' know about it during the KS phase), but....will this be on any kind of sale or special coming up? I have limited funds and have set aside a very limited amount that is BARELY enough for PoE at full retail. Any chance of a break on pricing before it releases?

Jastiger
Oct 11, 2008

by FactsAreUseless

Gyshall posted:

I want PoE to be delivered* via 8 CD roms for the Authentic Infinity Engine Experience (TM)

*hand delivered by rope kid and avellone themselves

This. if I could buy it retail I would. GMG is nice, but they charge that conversion amount since they work in Euros. I'll keep an eye on Steam. Its on my wish list.

Thanks for the headsup though on the Steam sale.

Edit: If it doesn't take me 6 disks and 2 hours to install, I am not getting my full Baldurs Gate nostalgia from it :mad:

Jastiger fucked around with this message at 21:02 on Jan 20, 2015

Jastiger
Oct 11, 2008

by FactsAreUseless

Jackard posted:

It should only take that long to roll characters for your party.

Of course. That is after I've waited at least 3 days to play the game since I have to read the manual that came with the game, front to back, and front again to make sure I didn't miss anything.

Jastiger
Oct 11, 2008

by FactsAreUseless

Drifter posted:

I bought this and its dlc partner back during its Kickstarter, and I'm in the same boat you are as far as forgetting I actually own it. I've excitedly put it in my purchase cart on steam twice now, since it was first made available.

Put it in MY cart then :getin:

Jastiger
Oct 11, 2008

by FactsAreUseless
Is there any way to get a print volume Ala bg2 now or is that just a backer item?

Jastiger
Oct 11, 2008

by FactsAreUseless
I'm very upset that this game isn't out now. Make time go faster pls and thanks :)

Also curse your extra's I"m probably going to splurge for the upgraded version for that sweet soundtrack.

Jastiger
Oct 11, 2008

by FactsAreUseless

enraged_camel posted:

Personally, it would make me want to play New Game+ more by providing a glimpse of items that can only be used at even higher levels.

I dunno. One of the biggest drawbacks I had from Baldurs Gate 1 and 2 with super weapons was that you got them...but only had them for the last 20 minutes of the game. To me it seems less like an incentive to play again, and more like a "lol you wasted all your time getting this and it does NOTHING". In New Game + everything is harder, right? So the super powered item is much less so in NG+.

Jastiger
Oct 11, 2008

by FactsAreUseless
I remember that halberd...Wave Crasher? I think? That you got at the very end of the Underdark, and by then you'd have completed almost all of the other areas in the game only to go fight the last few bosses.

Jastiger
Oct 11, 2008

by FactsAreUseless

SurrealityCheck posted:

I'm still astonished that 4th ed never managed to see the light of day in a game. Just one of those weird IP things, but still...

Because it is Not Good.

But its the basis for the MMO Neverwinter.

Jastiger
Oct 11, 2008

by FactsAreUseless

Fungah! posted:

I can put my opinions in all caps too! It really makes them sound Definitive and Correct, doesn't it

It does. Thanks for agreeing!

I think only good things can come from Obsidian doing their own IP.

Jastiger
Oct 11, 2008

by FactsAreUseless
I'm getting super excited. Watching sales on this game like a HAWK. Are you still going to offer the upgraded packages beyond release or do I HAVE to pre order now to get them?

Jastiger
Oct 11, 2008

by FactsAreUseless
I really want that hero edition. Is this game on sale with a coupon on gmg or something like that?

Jastiger
Oct 11, 2008

by FactsAreUseless

rope kid posted:

It is way, way easier to start the game than it is to jump into the Backer Beta. We have a fair number of IE-style noobs on the dev team and no one has found it difficult to learn the game in a normal progression. They miss details here and there, but nothing absolutely vital.

Tried sending you a message and your box is of course full >:(

Just excited for the game.

Will the PC get speical abilities like in BG?

Still waiting to pull the trigger on the special edition. I only have so many $$ in my steam wallet and have to wait for a sale!

Jastiger
Oct 11, 2008

by FactsAreUseless
Is there going ot be a new thread for folks that aren't in the beta and new to the game? :ohdear:

Jastiger
Oct 11, 2008

by FactsAreUseless

Basic Chunnel posted:

There aren't really any spoilers at all save for one side quest. It will be fine

I'm less worried about spoilers and more a new intro to the finished game. I am not inthe beta, but am super pumped for the game, but feel like all the chat for the last.....30 pages have been about things I have literally no idea about.

It'd be nice to start fresh for all of us not "in the know".

Jastiger
Oct 11, 2008

by FactsAreUseless
Cool. Still watching the price like a hawk. Want that limited edition!

Jastiger
Oct 11, 2008

by FactsAreUseless

Eddain posted:

The best character was Xan. He was just being 100% honest the entire time.

This is the correct opinion.

Also I kind of like Sera in DA:I. Granted I just got the stronghold in that game, but I don't find her terribly bad. Sure she's a bit "random" but I don't find her so grating like everyone said I would. She still has direction and a kind of agenda, so I can't hate on her too much.

I would love another Xan-like character though. One who is willing to help, but is really sick and tired of all the bullshit you have to trudge through to get the job done.

Jastiger
Oct 11, 2008

by FactsAreUseless
I don't know why everyone is bagging on Sera. I'm not all the way through the game yet so maybe I just don't know something yet.

Xan was great, but you know who I really liked? Jaheira and Viconia. We need more female characters like them.

Jastiger
Oct 11, 2008

by FactsAreUseless
I can take it no longer! Pre ordering the Champion edition on Steam as we speak!

I'm a sucker for those wallpapers and soundtracks :D

Jastiger
Oct 11, 2008

by FactsAreUseless

gigawhite posted:

No justice for Khalid

Moment of silence,

Jastiger
Oct 11, 2008

by FactsAreUseless
So excited to be a monk. I know very little about the game as I've intentionally skipped all the spoilery stuff. I want this to be as magic to me now as Baldurs Gate was to me when I was 15. So. Excited.

Jastiger
Oct 11, 2008

by FactsAreUseless

Tzarnal posted:

Awesome weapon stuff

Question:

When it says +20% Corrosive damage, does that mean it makes all Corrosive damage you already do through other means get +20% or does it add +20% to the base damage of the item (that is considered corrosive in nature)? So if it does 10 damage, it does 12? Or does it do 10 no matter what, but if I have a corrosive enchant on it, the enchant does an extra 20%?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jastiger
Oct 11, 2008

by FactsAreUseless
Thanks for the weapon explanation!

Is it possible to bypass DR?

• Locked thread