Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
marshmallow creep
Dec 10, 2008

I've been sitting here for 5 mins trying to think of a joke to make but I just realised the animators of Mass Effect already did it for me

Farewell old thread.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

marshmallow creep
Dec 10, 2008

I've been sitting here for 5 mins trying to think of a joke to make but I just realised the animators of Mass Effect already did it for me

Bongo Bill posted:

Video game romances should include optional video game breakups.

Breaking up with Morrigan is pretty funny. Especially if you string her along by making her believe your love can really work and then you gently caress the elf.

marshmallow creep
Dec 10, 2008

Captain Oblivious posted:

I need more info on this.

It's been a while, but Morrigan starts out treating your relationship like it's a common daliance and you mean nothing to her. If you get deep enough into it, she tries to break it off because she's feeling honest to god emotions and she doesn't like it. You can convince her to stick it out, and then (in my case) I decided I was going to get the achievement for sleeping with everyone or something, so I hosed Zevran. She got hella mad, but I was able to convince her to take me back after I broke up with Zev (who was cool with it). Then I decided to date Leliana, but she wouldn't sleep with me until I broke up with Morrigan. Morrigan was so confused, and was mad jealous every time I talked with her after Leliana and I hooked up.

The fact that you can gently caress with a character's emotions that badly was pretty great. Considering in DA:O they had so many different ways for party members to just ditch you (or attack you!) regardless of approval ratings, I'm surprised they didn't include one for Morrigan to go full Flemeth mode all over you in camp or something if you played with her emotions like that.

marshmallow creep
Dec 10, 2008

Drifter posted:

A princess sim but this time you're a wizard-king or a Zulkir of Thay or a Witch of Rashemen. Make it happen, tia.

Yes.

marshmallow creep
Dec 10, 2008

Is there a particular stat I'm gonna want to pump to be a chatty-Kathy or are stats factoring into dialogues going to be spread around the stats? (If this has been answered I kind of haven't followed this thread for a while, so I may have missed it.)

marshmallow creep
Dec 10, 2008

coffeetable posted:

There isn't a CHA analogue. The six you've got to play with are strength, dexterity, constitution, intellect, perception & resolve.

Yeah, but in the original Fallouts, for example, Intelligence was what you needed to get access to dialogue nodes, and not just ones involving science skills; hence the question.

coffeetable posted:

Also I seem to remember one of the OEI devs posting that they weren't a fan of social skills in general. Something about it destroying a lot of RP options iirc.

That sounds like a good thing, I think.

marshmallow creep
Dec 10, 2008

Man, I really wish I had had the money to put up for the NPC option. :(

marshmallow creep fucked around with this message at 02:13 on Dec 17, 2013

marshmallow creep
Dec 10, 2008

Strength in this game basically sounds basically like Vitality in Demon's Souls (HP and item capacity) but with the item part of that basically being an advanced form of Deep Pockets from X-Com; it determines how many goodies and spare weapons you get to bring to the fight, but does not limit your looting. Sounds pretty good to me, and makes a strength wizard with huge arms capable of carrying his entire library in one hand while he reads out death and destruction from the other. I can dig it.

marshmallow creep
Dec 10, 2008

rope kid posted:

It's not dramatically different from what's in Darklands.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=J1p5ODJotT0

The blue bars are Endurance (which would be Stamina for us) and the red (? middle) bars are Strength (Health for us). Notice that at the end of the fight, all of their Endurance pops back up (in Darklands, it doesn't always fully replenish after every fight) but the Strength stays the same.

It's a kind of system I wish more games had, to be honest. Like, in Fallout people complain that you're immortal as long as you can open your inventory and stuff your gob with a hundred stimpacks, boxes of cookies, beers and bottled waters. With a Stamina/Health system, you can only put up with so much before you have to go see a loving doctor or take a nap or something.

Trading one gripe for another depending on your perspective, though.

marshmallow creep
Dec 10, 2008

I could see that working, yeah. I'm fine with it either way.

marshmallow creep
Dec 10, 2008

Saying big muscles are an expression of your resolve to be swole would be enough for me.

What if you called Intelligence "Inspiration" instead? Same initial, but perhaps a broader concept than just gray matter. Feels a bit too vague to me, though, now that I think about it.

marshmallow creep fucked around with this message at 19:18 on Dec 18, 2013

marshmallow creep
Dec 10, 2008

nic olas posted:

I don't think I've ever played a game with an enjoyable crafting system and item degradation has always been completely pointless.

If the degradation has an effect on the gameplay, I don't mind it. Fallout 3 and New Vegas have weapons break down, doing less damage and/or jamming and getting stuck. That can add a twist to a fight where your reload doesn't work right and you have to clear a jam or the weapon breaks in your hand and you have to use a backup. For a game like that, especially where part of the theme is stuff is old and broken in general, having durability makes sense. I can take or leave it in a game like this, though.

marshmallow creep
Dec 10, 2008

Please swap resolve and intelligence so this derail can die.

marshmallow creep
Dec 10, 2008

SoggyBobcat posted:

Rope kid, how does a high STR/low CON warrior class play like? My initial assumption when I read what the stats do and the health/stamina dynamic is that a character that wants to be in the thick of the fighting would be better off investing in CON over STR, but now I'm not so sure.

The way I understand it, Con is your ability to survive the fight you're in, while Strength will govern your ability to survive multiple fights, because as encounters continue Health will drop and not be replenished until you get proper rest, while Stamina gets refreshed frequently. So a low STR warrior would play similarly to a high STR warrior, but would have a smaller golfbag for weapon/potion/special item tactical options in the moment and wouldn't be able to hold up in extended dungeon crawling as well.

marshmallow creep fucked around with this message at 17:51 on Dec 19, 2013

marshmallow creep
Dec 10, 2008

rope kid posted:

If you want a fast moving class, barbarians get Wild Sprint (limited use, but very fast) and monks inherently move faster (a li'l) in combat. If you want a fast-attacking character, use weapons classified as Fast, like daggers, stilettos, rapiers, etc.

Murderbarian here I come.

marshmallow creep
Dec 10, 2008

Here's a thought for posters that want smashing characters: Have a mechanic for melee attacks (since weapon choice is not really class specific) that let you burn health to do extra damage. You literally fight harder not smarter, because you wear down long term health with muscle strain and injury by hitting like a train.

marshmallow creep
Dec 10, 2008

SurrealityCheck posted:

Name them in the in game languages!

That, or name them after the virtues of something like in-World gods or spirits. The god of cunning and murder creates the damage stat, the ox-god represents the strength stat, etc.

marshmallow creep
Dec 10, 2008

rope kid posted:

A question for anyone reading the thread: if you saw a list of stats presented like this:

What would you assume the stat that affects damage would be? Based on that answer, if you discovered that stat affected all damage and healing, including damage and healing from sources like guns and wands and bows and fireball spells, how would you feel about it?

I could totally see Power or Might both being the "make numbers bigger" stat, but I like the "health and tool-belt capacity" nature of Strength right now. I just don't know what to call it without bringing in baggage. Enterprise? Resourcefulness? Robusticity? Backbone?

Bottom line, as I've said before and Fintilgin says above

Fintilgin posted:

I'm resolved to hew your limbs off. I'm resolved to get a headshot. I'm resolved to heal your wounds.

It works.

marshmallow creep
Dec 10, 2008

I imagine rope kid has been bracing himself for this for months if not from the start.

marshmallow creep
Dec 10, 2008

The effectiveness of damage versus other options really does hinge upon how necessary killing a target over disabling it/circumventing it/etc might be. If a target has 30 hit points and you do 8 damage with an attack, +2 damage from Intellect means you now finish the target in 3 hits instead of four. But if you do 11 damage, that +2 isn't going to make you kill that same target any faster; at that point being able to slow its ability to hurt you/endure its attacks/turn to you bag of tricks is more valuable. If it doesn't matter what your target does to you, than people would be forgiven dumping those other things to focus on bumping up their damage so they finish the target in two attacks rather than three, but you reach diminishing returns eventually--in this example +2 damage means you kill in three hits, +7 means you kill in 2 but you'd need +22 to kill in one.

marshmallow creep fucked around with this message at 22:03 on Dec 19, 2013

marshmallow creep
Dec 10, 2008

I really wish I could have played more 4e--it always seemed more dynamic with the slides and the pulls and the pushes than other games I've come across. But everyone I know who plays games was really put off by the "powers" aspect of it and picking their abilities out of catalogs or whatever their given hang-ups were, so I got in maybe two or three good games, only one of them as a player rather than the DM.

marshmallow creep
Dec 10, 2008

Basic Chunnel posted:

God bless rope kid for his beatific patience.

marshmallow creep
Dec 10, 2008

Obsidian's community relations are a drat sight better than Bioware's, that's for sure.

marshmallow creep
Dec 10, 2008

The high strength fighter.

Since Barbarians are going to have melee AoE, trading intelligence for Resolve expands their AoE effects. If that's not what you want, the high Str/Con barb is going to be the one you send out to deal with a horde on his own without worrying so much about support because he can take a lot of punishment now and can bring his own kit to keep going when he gets in trouble.

marshmallow creep
Dec 10, 2008

Just Say No to Alignment.

marshmallow creep
Dec 10, 2008

A good reason to be a strength wizard, I imagine. Harry's not always very bright, but he can bench 800 pounds. He also gets his rear end kicked constantly (runs out of Stamina) but always manages to make it to the end of the adventure even when everyone else can't (high Health).

marshmallow creep
Dec 10, 2008

Not sure about that. The term bulletproof actually comes from craftsmen using a musket on their breastplates before they sold one, so that it had a dent in it: The "proof" that it could stop a bullet.

marshmallow creep
Dec 10, 2008

Darkhold posted:

:psyduck: you're using an awfully strange definition of the word magic. It's a place where gods and demons literally walk the earth and you can raise an army of dead spirits.

It's not magic in the typical DnD sense, is what he means. You don't go to college to become Gandalf; you either are or you aren't.

marshmallow creep
Dec 10, 2008

Space Pussy posted:

gently caress Star Wars.

I can dig it. That screenshot looks sexy as hell.

Still hoping that Barbarians get melee AoE effects that do benefit from Intelligence, because I really want to have an Int Barb.

marshmallow creep fucked around with this message at 23:21 on Jan 14, 2014

marshmallow creep
Dec 10, 2008

Is "Concentration" new? I don't remember what that's supposed to do.

marshmallow creep
Dec 10, 2008

Yeah I just noticed that too. A little sad that some of the more novel ideas are out, but what's there looks perfectly functional and valuable to all classes (depending on how Concentration and Penetration work out, anyway. I mean if Concentration stops hit animations and interruptions, etc, it sounds like there would be a butter zone where you're above all the thresholds and don't need anymore, whereas you'll always want more damage)

marshmallow creep
Dec 10, 2008

VanSandman posted:

Thanks a lot rope kid, a universally well-received update, we can't even argue this time! :v:

Well poo poo. What will we do now?

marshmallow creep
Dec 10, 2008

Same. The way this game is shaping up random high-level drops just wouldn't make sense to me. It seems like if you're going to get a legendary or epic item, it'll be because you wrenched it from the hands of the epic baddy who wields it.

Which reminds me: Are there plans to let the game continue after you've "beaten" it a la Fallout 1 and 2? I mean, having the option to save the Mega Dungeon until after you've saved the world so you can use the awesome MacGuffin you took from the final boss would be pretty cool.

marshmallow creep
Dec 10, 2008

Otto Skorzeny posted:

If you can take and use it, is it really a macguffin?

Well, I was thinking something like the Nano Forge in Red Faction: Guerilla. It's one of the reasons why the EDF is scared and sends their most dangerous forces and equipment to Mars, and you can use it to obliterate buildings and, later, win the game. It's a plot device with in game purpose. George Lucas described R2 as the MacGuffin of the original Star Wars because everyone's looking for that droid, motivating the action, even though he's useful to the cast and not just literal luggage.

So, yeah, if the plot revolves around stealing the Stone of Souls from someone who was going to use it to trap all the souls that would be lost in a political conflict they orchestrated in order to power a spiritual bomb that would blow a hole into the realm of the gods or something, letting us use it to at least kill a bunch of dudes and then use their souls to nuke other dudes like a limit break would be kind of fun but not diminish its value as a MacGuffin.

marshmallow creep
Dec 10, 2008

I think what's unclear is: do you want XP incentives to be higher for a given approach in order to encourage people to do the objective a different way? The response to that seems to be "then that's the optimal way to do it and people will feel discouraged from taking the other X approaches."

marshmallow creep
Dec 10, 2008

Part of the problem, at least to me, is not that one action or another is worth more XP, but that XP is the gate to getting levels, which open up abilities. If I want to have toys to play with, I need to have a certain level to get them. If one way objectively gets me access to more toys because it gets me to a higher level, then if I want the toys I have to play that way until I have them. At that point, whatever, but until they stop withholding my toys I play the way that will get me the toys sooner rather than later.

That's sort of a general guideline, sure; I mean no one plays a 100% optimal way unless they're a kind of crazy person, but that's basically my rationale for when I find myself playing in a way that isn't what I really want out of the game. Other times it's because there's a very good story incentive, like, people will be angry with me for getting caught and call me stupid (I'm sensitive and don't want imaginary people to think less of me :saddowns:).

In DX:HR, for example, I usually played stealthily until somewhere in China because it wasn't til around that point that I realized I had all the toys I wanted to play with and it was time to just let loose. At that point I don't remember anyone giving a poo poo if you got caught, either, so just blam blam blam mother fucker.

edit: to clarify which Deus Ex I meant.

marshmallow creep fucked around with this message at 23:34 on Jan 16, 2014

marshmallow creep
Dec 10, 2008

Bob NewSCART posted:

How far off is any kind of playable version and where do I throw money at this?

http://eternity.obsidian.net/buy

marshmallow creep
Dec 10, 2008

rope kid posted:

They should be pretty good in PoE. If you dual-wield you're attacking much more frequently. If you wield a single weapon with nothing in the off-hand, you'll gain a good Accuracy bonus.

Yeah, it just sounds like you don't necessarily want them alone against a very accurate boss or mob.

marshmallow creep
Dec 10, 2008

In lieu of other topics to discuss, here's Chris Avellone doing a thing.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

marshmallow creep
Dec 10, 2008

Ravenfood posted:

Right? While at the same time complaining that the class archetypes are too limited. Maybe if they'd stop obsessing over the name of the class, they'd be a little more chill about the whole thing. Want to be a ranged character specializing in spike damage but don't want the pet? Play a rogue, give them a bow. Yay! Want to be a really heavy hitter? Play a rogue, give them a hugeass sword, name them Conan. I do hope there are options for a melee ranger because rogues can't get pets, but I wouldn't cry if there aren't. Incidentally, I don't see a reason why you couldn't build a melee ranger. Sure, you couldn't use two of their starting abilities, but none of their other, animal-related abilities require a ranged weapon. (Stalker's Link just provided a ranged effect that would already exist if they were in melee combat).

Actually, the more I think about it, the more I think a lot of people's main character is probably going to be a rogue or cipher. Whether you want to or not, the obvious stars of the party are the ones who dish out the damage rather than the ones putting off critical but low immediate-impact effects or the ones who hold four enemies in place at once. The others might be critical, but they just don't stick in your head as much. Its immediately obvious how to build a party that specializes in utilizing the rogue's spike damage, whereas I'm not immediately sure how a party like, say, a paladin, fighter, and barbarian in a 3-person line with a chanter right behind them would hold up. Nothing really flashy there, but some nice stacking buffs and stacking effects. Holding multiple people in place so that barbarians can use Carnage constantly sounds like nice synergy, but it doesn't have BIG NUMBERS!!! like the rogue does.

Glad I'm not the only one to think exactly that.

• Locked thread