Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Prokhor Zakharov
Dec 31, 2008

This is me as I make another great post

Good luck with your depression!
Gameplay footage looks great, can't wait for more.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Prokhor Zakharov
Dec 31, 2008

Comrade Flynn posted:

Kind of forgot I dropped $250 on this. Kind of happy I did.

Hey Rope Jerk, can I get my map signed instead of a box? How the hell are you supposed to display a BOX? Answer me that.

EDIT: Can I play as Ribsmasher 2.0 and just punch everything to death?

In a larger shadow-box to create an Inception of boxes

Prokhor Zakharov
Dec 31, 2008

Scorchy posted:

my wallet it hurts

Between Obsidian and InExile I guess this is just how inventive RPGs get published now.

Prokhor Zakharov
Dec 31, 2008

^^ They did though? ^^

coffeetable posted:

Bethesda has a scorched-earth approach to negative reviews of it's games.

If this is the case how has SA not been blacklisted?

Prokhor Zakharov
Dec 31, 2008

Fintilgin posted:

It's not like they're going to spill the beans in any detail about their kickstarter before it launches. It's probably a line where Fergus says something like: "A second kickstarter? Well, it's definitely something we're investigating, and you'll here more from us in the future."

:siren: BREAKING NEWS! :siren:

It seems like this is the most likely, while this Kickstarter has certainly worked well for Obsidian, they might want to wait until PoE is further towards the door before talking about what's next (ala InXile with WL2 and ToN)

Prokhor Zakharov
Dec 31, 2008

User0015 posted:

In regards to carrying capacity, I think a lot of players main gripe is that carrying capacity limits out in the field cause a lot of aggravation, when they need to shuffle inventory around. If I have the dubious wish to pack 16 suits of chainmail+1 back to camp for selling, I have to hand that all off to Gorktar, my dumbass half-orc berserker who can't identify any of the magical poo poo he's carrying. Then I end up having to play shuffle inspect at base camp just to off-load all that crap at a reasonable price.

I know it's not an issue now, but that honestly depends on how much loot there is on a given outing, and just how much the player feels like channeling their inner klepto. As an aside, the first thing I do when playing Skyrim/F:NV is to download an infinite inventory mod. I don't remember what Abraxo cleaner is good for, but I know it makes something, somewhere, eventually, so might as well carry 20 of the drat things.

RPG Item Hoarding is a disease, please seek help

Prokhor Zakharov
Dec 31, 2008

Disco Infiva posted:

More importantly, can I put them on the walls of my Fotress of Doom Stronghold of Eternal Peace.

Before this post I never knew how incredibly important this was to me.

Prokhor Zakharov
Dec 31, 2008

rope kid posted:

We're still tuning overall combat speed, which should be similar to mid-level IWD or BG2 combat. We also have a slow mode that drops the speed of the entire game world to about 50% (maybe even slower). You can play pretty big fights in that way without much (sometimes any) pausing.

Is there a Zach Snyder Speed that switches randomly between the two?

Otto Skorzeny posted:

It would have been Neato had the lockpicking minigame increased lock difficulty by increasing the number of pins you had to simultaneously keep above the shear line (1 for Very Easy, 2 for Easy, and so on up to 5 for Very Hard) rather than making the range of acceptable angles for your bobby pin narrower. I think this could have been done with a reasonable interface, too: wasd to manage torsion, and the existing interface to control your pick (just with two dimensions instead of one). The 'Force' option could be changed to trying to easymode with a rake or a bump key or something, too. Alack.

This was literally the system in the first 3 Splinter Cell games and it was alright.

Prokhor Zakharov
Dec 31, 2008

rope kid posted:

Whether you're in Scouting mode or not, you can choose to move characters one-by-one or in groups. It also depends on what you're trying to do. If you just want to get a character or two into close range for the start of combat, you could/would leave the others behind. If you're trying to get the entire party through/around a group, then you'd move the whole party.

To be good at stealth, you need to determine the way between the AIs that will keep you the safest distance away from them. Moving will also slightly "grow" your circle, so knowing when to stay put and when to move is important. A lot of it comes down to observation, planning, and timing. It is unlikely to be ultra-complicated, but should make you think.

Positioning is often important for how combat starts/goes down. If you just barrel into a group, the enemy "linebackers" (forward melee folks) will Melee Engage your dudes to prevent them from rushing toward their wizards, rangers, etc. Being behind that enemy line to begin with can be very advantageous, as it can be to flank the group.

So will stealth oriented rogues get some abilities like smaller detection circles, faster scouting speed, etc?

Prokhor Zakharov
Dec 31, 2008

Mordaedil posted:

The only class is "Adventurer" and your abilities are based on how you distribute your ability scores.

Not gonna happen

Rename all the classes to "SWORD GUY"

Prokhor Zakharov
Dec 31, 2008

bathroom sounds posted:

My core complaint is that I hate using pets in combat and I'm sad to see PoE decide to make combat animal companions integral to the ranger class.

My secondary complaint is that WoW took a bunch of concepts, like D&D Animal Companions (which were as much like familiars as combat pets -- your super observant owl wasn't handling melee duty), and rangers being the best archers, and distilled it into a single class called the Hunter. There is nothing predating WoW as archetypal as the WoW Hunter with regards to an archer/animal companion combination.

You could do it if you wanted, you could make the mechanics work that way, but the definitive combination of "melee animal companion" and "archer-ranger" is a WoW innovation. WoW did it first inasmuch as WoW made it an explicit archetype and then popularized. Regardless of the fact that WoW was also drawing inspiration from elsewhere, to mimic the archer/animal companion Hunter archetype in 2014 is to be derivative of WoW.

In a game that has managed to make bards sound interesting, it's kinda lame that they either a) deliberately used the WoW Hunter as a starting point, or b) failed to recognize the glaringly obvious parallels. I'm happy they're doing neat things like a shared health pool but it doesn't change the fact that "archer + combat companion" screams World of Warcraft.

You know you can just play a rogue right?

Prokhor Zakharov
Dec 31, 2008

Inspector Gesicht posted:

Content: This would have been relevant 40 pages ago but no one else took the opportunity.

Edit: I've never paid for Beta access for a game until this one. How long is a game usually in Beta until it goes Gold?

The teletubby is a great addition.

Prokhor Zakharov
Dec 31, 2008

Rope kid can I be a landskneckt with a frog helm? This is important.

Prokhor Zakharov
Dec 31, 2008

Fintilgin posted:

Hmmm. This calls for an experiment. We just need to turn a bunch of orphan children into undead and see what keeps them alive by feeding them other orphan children in various ways. :science:

Why are you looking at me like that? What could possibly go wrong?

Said the ubiquitous Rogue Wizard

Prokhor Zakharov
Dec 31, 2008

That site is so goddamn terribly designed, coated with Russian-style engrish to boot. I'd like to read more about it but it loves to crash my browser for some reason so welp :shrug:

Prokhor Zakharov
Dec 31, 2008

SurrealityCheck posted:

We should make a competing website where we complain bitterly about the absence of boobs/cleavage. Campaign against restrictive sexual norms! High quality readership of classy gents guaranteed, I'm sure...

SunAndSpring posted:

Sounds like they like getting mad at boobs. That's pretty sad.

These are really ironic posts for a thread about a game that bills itself as explicitly banning fanservice, boobplate, and sexism...

Prokhor Zakharov
Dec 31, 2008

Kanfy posted:

Not having something isn't really the same thing as "explicitly banning" it.

You must have missed that rope kid actually did state (during the kickstarter iirc) that this kind of stuff was banned from PE, to the point where when one of the concept artists drew up an NPC in boob-plate he sent it back demanding it be changed to something more realistic.

SurrealityCheck posted:

Oh I'm completely pro the P:E position! I was just making a silly post because the idea of a website campaigning nobly for boobs in everything entertained me for long enough to me to make the poor decision to post it >_>

It's all good, we can be postin' bros.

Fake Edit:

Actually managed to google up the old boob-plate drawing versus the new one.

Bad:

Good:

Prokhor Zakharov
Dec 31, 2008

Disco Infiva posted:

Obs said that it will have backgrounds like in Arcanum, along with races and cultures.

Wanna see that Child of a Hero return cause that sword ruled.

Prokhor Zakharov
Dec 31, 2008

SunAndSpring posted:

I always liked the Savant and the Miracle Cure ones. Gave some great stat boosts for your intellectual stats, and all they did in exchange was make your character Rain Man or a weakling. A fair trade, in my opinion.

The best for this was the Frankenstein one, especially if you had a high intelligence to go with it.

Prokhor Zakharov
Dec 31, 2008

coffeetable posted:

There's a moratorium on anything plot-related if that's what you're worried about. Even the beta's going to be a stand-alone area.

Probably the only Early Access thing I'll ever play because of that.

Prokhor Zakharov
Dec 31, 2008

Fair Bear Maiden posted:

Sounds like something out of Morrowind. That's pretty good, btw, although not really what I was expecting based on the teasers.

Now I'm curious as to what you were expecting

Prokhor Zakharov
Dec 31, 2008

Gyshall posted:

e: with a verse or two from eazy-e

Ideas like this are why custom portraits are so important

Prokhor Zakharov
Dec 31, 2008

Alacron posted:

All games should have this :allears:

If it was like a minor DLC that you could grab and switch on and off I'd be legit tempted depending on what was on it.

Prokhor Zakharov
Dec 31, 2008

SunAndSpring posted:

Well, witnessed an interesting talk about the Vailian culture in PoE on 4chan.

So actually, you can't have black people in renaissance-style clothing because that's racist and says black people are worthless and have never amounted to anything, and also defames the accomplishments of the Aryan race because black people are worthless and have never amounted to anything. So if you could just make every black person look like the cast of Zulu, that would be great, Sawyer. I mean, it would please these dumbfuck retards enlightened gentlemen.

I love how hateful braindead 'gamers' somehow always manage to tie anything they don't like back to Anita Sarkeesian

Prokhor Zakharov
Dec 31, 2008

rope kid posted:

Most of my exposure comes from studying the history of tattooing. The English word "tattoo" is derived from a Polynesian word and tattooing is found in a lot of Polynesian, Micronesian, and Melanesian cultures (often having a similar cultural relevance).

Are tattoos going to get any exposure in-game? Either as a little character customization or portraits or magic, etc?

Prokhor Zakharov
Dec 31, 2008

Basic Chunnel posted:

(I would assume they were contracted to make the pitch more attractive to investors, which, lol)

Holy hell do I not envy that job

Prokhor Zakharov
Dec 31, 2008

Phlegmish posted:

I am mostly just baffled by the associations that are being made. I never considered Western culture or any specific race within Western culture to be particularly sexist or homophobic. Maybe it makes more sense in an American context.

Haha, oh wow.

Getting back to the update at hand I'd be pretty stoked to just make a whole party of a bunch of Paladins, all of different and contradictory orders/beliefs, and watch the wacky hijinks unfold. Real World Eternity.

Prokhor Zakharov
Dec 31, 2008

Dude's got a completely unironic "No Girls Allowed" policy holy poo poo :psyduck:

Prokhor Zakharov
Dec 31, 2008

Pillars of Eternity sequel E3 confirmed, titled "Abutments of Forever"

Prokhor Zakharov
Dec 31, 2008

Please put the guy filming this in the game where these roofs are present, tia

Prokhor Zakharov
Dec 31, 2008

Mr.Pibbleton posted:

What if you had legendary items whose enchantments were faded and needed a massive cash infusion?

Didn't realize magic items worked like the banking industry

Prokhor Zakharov
Dec 31, 2008

Don't forget that Shadowrun Returns seems to be doing all right, especially it's expansion which is real real good.

Prokhor Zakharov
Dec 31, 2008

Basic Chunnel posted:

Does your dog also wield polearms

Yours doesn't? C'mon man next you'll be telling me your dog doesn't worship dragons :rolleyes:

Prokhor Zakharov
Dec 31, 2008

DatonKallandor posted:

Note that the "shocking end twist" being "his father/mother/grandfather was negro!" was an often used trope of many authors during that time. He didn't invent it. He used it yeah, but he was a Xenophobe and it shows much less and in fewer stories than it could considering just how much he was scared of anything foreign (it's probably more accurate to call him xenophobic than racist - he was afraid of everyone who wasn't white, English, salt of the earth gentlemen).

And again one fantasy setting being based on racism (and even that's debatable) doesn't automatically invalidate all fantasy. That's a ridiculous claim, especially when you use it to twist specific details that aren't racist into something else so it becomes racist and then claim that it is racist.

On a more topical note, I think everyone is waiting for gently caress You: Suck My Dick: Josh Sawyer's Personal Dream RPG Experience. A true modern Darklands with well designed mechanics and a good UI would be incredible.

Just reading your posts it seems like it's super important to you that orks are genetically retarded compared to the enlightened elven ubermensch. Like seriously guy you might want to stop and think about the hill you're dying on here.

Prokhor Zakharov
Dec 31, 2008

rope kid posted:

Yeah I've played FFT, Front Mission 4, Silent Storm, XCOM, Temple of Elemental Evil, and of course all of the Gold Box games.

E: Oh, and JA2.

Hell yeah, Silent Storm is one of my favorite games despite (or in some cases because of) how astonishingly janky it could be. Great for stuff like heavy anti-tank mining the front door of an occupied house, then luring a nazi outside. He opened the door, blew the mine and vaporized himself, the mine was so powerful that it blew the floor apart which in turn set off an unknown cache if gasoline in the basement that blew the entire building apart. A mission that should have been a drawn out firefight ended in under 10 seconds completely by chance.

Prokhor Zakharov
Dec 31, 2008

Bladesofskrm posted:

Is anyone here an Eternity backer? Have you got any new updates about the game?

No, the game is cancelled and the notorious criminal Josh Sawyer used up all the backer money on obscure german opera records and bicycle parts.

Prokhor Zakharov
Dec 31, 2008

xthetenth posted:

I'm just worried that some builds won't benefit from a Big Head (unless it means Big Hat mode)

If there's no Big Frog Helm then gently caress this game

Prokhor Zakharov
Dec 31, 2008

Basic Chunnel posted:

A manual without a game doesn't have much utility

The manual/packaging was brilliant for the pc release of GTA San Andreas, it was a literal hardcover tourist book and it owned. Shame we'll never see its like again.

Prokhor Zakharov
Dec 31, 2008

idonotlikepeas posted:

I like being able to kill everyone, not because I actually want to do it, but because I want to choose not to do it. You're right in that it's not the most important feature in the world, but it makes the choices I make in the game feel a bit more real, because I always have the option of not doing all the stupid quest bullshit. If some old man wants me to go to the other end of the forest to fight the mystic whatnot of fuckoff hill before he gives me the secret key, I can just murder him and take it anytime I want. It makes the quest feel a bit better when I know that I'm actually choosing to do it instead of being forced to.

I like it because it allows for greater roleplay as well. If you're playing a ultra-good paladin you get to slay down evil guys, even if they're quest givers or story characters. Playing a brook-no-poo poo tough guy? You can put down people who give you poo poo. One of my favorite NV playthroughs ever involved my cowboy gunslinger violently murdering everybody who dared insult him (just to see what would happen). After a stint in the Vegas wasteland he had a bodycount that would rival most modern military conflicts.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Prokhor Zakharov
Dec 31, 2008

Wolfsheim posted:

Wait, rangers get to name their animal companions? This...this changes everything.

If I play the guy with a squid on his face, can I get some kind of land-squid companion? I'm just asking for a friend.

• Locked thread