Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Quantumfate
Feb 17, 2009

Angered & displeased, he went to the Blessed One and, on arrival, insulted & cursed him with rude, harsh words.

When this was said, the Blessed One said to him:

"Motherfucker I will -end- you"

All this talk of future projects and IPs- Hell I just want to see obsidian go full-out colonial fantasy, not half-hearted like Pillars. Maybe a sequel for pillars of eternity set in the future. Enlightenment and tricorner hats and ruthless mercantile companies and powdered wigs or BUST. :allears:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Quantumfate
Feb 17, 2009

Angered & displeased, he went to the Blessed One and, on arrival, insulted & cursed him with rude, harsh words.

The only thing that bugs me about the names is how they have a palatinate without Rome's hill.

Quantumfate
Feb 17, 2009

That palatinate comes from rome's palatine.:ssh: Nobles were given the title of "Palatine". Following the germanic invasions the germans were desperate to legitimize their rule, like charlemagne's 12 palatines, or the palatine count of lotharingia that managed pfalz.

Quantumfate fucked around with this message at 07:25 on Dec 13, 2013

Quantumfate
Feb 17, 2009

fermun posted:

I don't see the point in that kind of pedantic distinction. It's a term that holds meaning independent of its etymology. They have Paladins without a hill in Rome too. Should they avoid using the word Palace? They have castles without an old French or Latin or Indo-European. They have a Hel without a Norse Mythology, etc. I don't see a point in them inventing a fully new language and never using any words that exist outside of the game.

Palatinate (and count palatine) doesn't hold meaning independent of its etymology is the thing, unlike paladin or palace. It's a specifically obscure term that's never used in regular parlance. I mean margrave and plenipotentiary are more commonly used titles, it's not strange that I'd have qualms about using it for something like this. Petty ones, I grant, but it's kind of like using damascene or arabesque.

EDIT: A wuxia RPG would be pretty great, even thought Jade Empire wasn't that bad.

Quantumfate
Feb 17, 2009

Suspension of disbelief is a tricky thing. For me, this is something that causes me to do a double take. And if it were the Rioghachd of Eir Glanfath it'd be similar. It could have evoked that feel with something else, like "Electorates of Dyrwood" or "The free landsgrave of dyrwood". Palatinate is just jarring and seems really out of place to me. Petty, dumb, yeah. Not saying it should be changed, just that it takes me out of my disbelief is all.

Quantumfate
Feb 17, 2009

The idea behind +x weapons initially wasn't supposed to a scale of quality, but a magical dweomer of varying levels. 2e is sort of what introduced that to a concept of scaling based on level, 3+ took that concept and ran with it.

Quantumfate
Feb 17, 2009

Sensuki posted:

You probably just gimped yourself at character creation.

I sincerely hope eternity makes good on its claims that this isn't easy to do.

Quantumfate
Feb 17, 2009

Druid seems cool, but let's say I wanted to play a light skirmishing fighter with some outdoorsey themed magic. I'm guessing this is something I could do, but would ranger be the best option or a druid? Or a fighter or something?

Quantumfate
Feb 17, 2009

Drifter posted:

You'd probably want to play as a fighter with a broadsword of bee summoning equipped.

I would back this game thrice over if that were a magical item.

Quantumfate
Feb 17, 2009

I laughed too hard at that. I'm embarassed at how funny that was for me.

Quantumfate
Feb 17, 2009

CharlieFoxtrot posted:

Maybe they got access to the World of Darkness IP? A follow-up to Vampire? Stretch goals: Bring the rest of Troika back together.

A promethean the lost with the main character wandering lonely across the american southwest, written by ropekid so that it's all deep philosophy and nietszchean nihilistic musing and the occasional punching angels.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Quantumfate
Feb 17, 2009

User0015 posted:

How wrong can one person be? The first thing I want from killing that giant dragon is an explosion of gold and magical items loosed from his body with enough force to slide for a few meters. The second thing I want is a fountain of blood and dragon parts smacking my adventurers in the face with a wet, meaty thud. Let it rain. :black101:

I actually hope that gore and such are optional, like in BG2. I'm not the most comfortable with all the violence in video-games; though I recognize it as an essential part of how they're built. I still would prefer not to have tons of gore as a part of my party's actions.

FRINGE posted:

That looks FAR loving SUPERIOR to more Hitler fetishism.

What would make the russian civil a great setting for lovecraftian mythos fun is the fact that you have figures like Roman Von Ungern-Sternberg; a brutal white russian warlord who gathered a cavalry division in Mongolia and marched under the banner of the swastika (Invoking it as a good luck symbol) Who was attracted to the foreign esoteric nature of tibetan buddhism- Though he missed the whole compassionate part and took straight to the sorcery part. You could have this brutal ivan the terrible lunatic warlord and his mongolian cavalry trying to rule the world and bring in the new era of foreign deities of the great beyond.

• Locked thread