Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
ikanreed
Sep 25, 2009

I honestly I have no idea who cannibal[SIC] is and I do not know why I should know.

syq dude, just syq!

Mordaedil posted:

It varies on edition, but I like the phrasing I read in the 2nd AD&D book: Evil is all about intent. A guy just performed murder in cold blood? He strikes as a mild evil. An evil aligned fighter sits at a bar and drinks a few brews? He doesn't show up as evil to the paladin looking for him. A priest who has been sacrificing innocent villagers in his spare time and is just performing a sermon for the elderly? He strikes as a pretty foul source of evil because his actions are heavily tainted and lingers around him for a longer duration.

D&D alignments serve as a tool and it is up to the DM how they work and generally the players have their own assumptions.

And it gets some people really annoyed because it's a mechanical abstraction of cliche fantasy characterization. Like how Sauron was so palpably evil, you could feel his presence. Early D&D writers wanted a mechanic to encapsulate that feeling, and it has stuck around since then.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ikanreed
Sep 25, 2009

I honestly I have no idea who cannibal[SIC] is and I do not know why I should know.

syq dude, just syq!

rope kid posted:

No one actually knows for certain that godlike are created by divine intervention. Their appearances suggest strong alignment with certain deities -- e.g. there are godlike who exhibit physical properties associating them with the moon and water, which are both aspects of Ondra -- but there is no direct proof or divine confirmation.

Cut it out. You know. Just because the people in the world don't know doesn't mean you don't know(in your heart).

Rope kid lied, godlike died.

ikanreed
Sep 25, 2009

syq dude, just syq!

That'll teach you to not back on kickstarter. You could've gotten it for 25% of that.

ikanreed
Sep 25, 2009

syq dude, just syq!

Basic Chunnel posted:

I think we may have to face the possibility that PoE will ship containing mechanics that can be laboriously exploited

2 pages back, but I really want to say: how can you have a spiritual successor to BGII any other way?

• Locked thread