Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Keeshhound
Jan 14, 2010

Mad Duck Swagger

hemale in pain posted:

How many black italians were there in the 14th-17th century.

Enough for Shakespeare to write a play about one.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Keeshhound
Jan 14, 2010

Mad Duck Swagger

FRINGE posted:

And this is how video games are destroying the future. :eng99:

Nah, it just means we need to adapt old stories to new media. I'm sure Titus Andronicus would make a decent FPS.

Keeshhound
Jan 14, 2010

Mad Duck Swagger

Fish Fry Andy posted:

Shakespeare probably wrote Othello because England had just entered into pretty close relationship with Morocco during his lifetime and London had been visited by a delegation from there which was pretty crazy for the time. He never visited Venice, and it was pretty much some kind of fantastic foreign utopia as far as he was concerned. It's like how he wrote a play about a Jew living in Venice despite the fact that nobody in England had ever met a Jew, but they must be in Venice.

Do I need to put a ":v:" after every joke for you pedantic fuckers to get it?

Keeshhound fucked around with this message at 05:46 on Mar 23, 2014

Keeshhound
Jan 14, 2010

Mad Duck Swagger

Wittgen posted:

Harm is a cleric spell. :spergin:

Sure, if you're not counting the best isometric steampunk-vs-magic RPG ever made. But if you're not going to count that, then your opinion doesn't really matter, now does it? :colbert:

Keeshhound
Jan 14, 2010

Mad Duck Swagger

FRINGE posted:

I guess they like Hot Rods.

I prefer the (more) realistic weapon sizes/looks and combat animations from BG and now PoE to the anime swords in DA.

God drat that's a lot of blood. I mean, I know that was kind of their motif, even in the first game, but still...

Keeshhound
Jan 14, 2010

Mad Duck Swagger

Shadeoses posted:

What bonus does eating 1 unit of pure cocoa give you?

Dry mouth.

Keeshhound
Jan 14, 2010

Mad Duck Swagger

FRINGE posted:

The corners are wasted, they are not "gaming area". That screen is not nice to look at. Visual disruptions center left, center right, and bottom center, and then "play area" strung out in the corners?

Its better to use the entire framing area for art and controls and keep a clean field of focus for the gameplay IMO.

So I'm guessing you haven't played Torchlight 2? Because due to the fixed camera angles, enemies are more likely to approach you from the corners of your screen than the side edges. So your "fill the corners" plan would just end up blinding the player to the most likely avenues of attack. Leaving them open gives the player more advance warning more often.

Keeshhound fucked around with this message at 03:40 on Apr 26, 2014

Keeshhound
Jan 14, 2010

Mad Duck Swagger

FRINGE posted:

I have not, but since we are discussing BG, IWD, PS:T, and PoE I assumed it was supposed to be relevant to these kinds of games.

I can understand why you'd think that from the discussion, but it's actually closer to Diablo in it's gameplay than an Infinity Engine game.

Keeshhound
Jan 14, 2010

Mad Duck Swagger

bloodychill posted:

If in the first act you have hung a pistol on the wall...

Then the best way to gently caress with nerds is to leave it there the entire performance. :tinfoil:

Keeshhound fucked around with this message at 01:38 on May 2, 2014

Keeshhound
Jan 14, 2010

Mad Duck Swagger

Otto Skorzeny posted:

Ah ha yase. Let us abandon the principals of good storytelling to gently caress with our audience. That'll show those jackasses who paid us money for entertainment!

:goonsay:

If you treat the "principles of good storytelling" as holy writ that you can't ever deviate from, ever, under pain of hideous death, then you're just going to end up with a derivative work that is neither particularly good, nor memorable. And your fans will probably end up being less willing to indulge you next time.

Lookin' at you, Bioware.

Keeshhound fucked around with this message at 02:12 on May 2, 2014

Keeshhound
Jan 14, 2010

Mad Duck Swagger

MegaGatts posted:

Video games are the wrong place to abandon good story telling conventions. When a good video game story is told then, by all means, experiment.

Except that as a new media, video games are a place where experimentation is not only advisable, but likely mandatory if we're ever going to get a "great" story (there are already several contenders; my personal favorite example is Earthbound for managing to take advantage of it's inherently interactive nature in a way that added to it's story rather than just using it as another stage for a performance, all the way back in 1995).

Keeshhound
Jan 14, 2010

Mad Duck Swagger

Otto Skorzeny posted:

This is an asinine take. Principles of good storytelling, such as "moving the plot forward" and "having believable characters" and "not setting up cool things then blue-balling the reader by not portraying them in action" (Chekov's gun, which started this whole discussion) are things that are a bad idea to abandon in almost any case. If you want to go the M. Night Shayamalan route and pull the rug out from your audience you're going to end up with a lovely product, not an original product. Having a sane structure and making good use of narrative detail do not a derivative work make.

Christ, dude. Show us on the doll where the the bad story touched you.

My "gently caress with nerds" comment was a joke in the first place.

Keeshhound
Jan 14, 2010

Mad Duck Swagger

Mordaedil posted:

Could you write an interesting game where at the end you have to lose without it feeling like... Fallout 3's original ending?

It depends how you're defining a loss. Fallout 3's ending failed because everything about it was leading up towards something triumphant at the end, and then tripped over it's own feet because it tried to force a noble sacrifice where one was unnecessary. On the other hand, if a game is built around that loss, with every game element being used to better frame or accentuate that loss, I think it could actually become a worthwhile experience on it's own.

People have been discussing the use of tragedy in art for as long as it's existed. Aristotle asserted that tragedy in theater served as a way for the viewer to temporarily experience the dangers of life vicariously. Plato thought that it was a form of catharsis, a way to purge the soul of negative emotions by giving them an outlet. Nietzche was of the opinion that tragedy was a necessary part of life, and that if they found it lacking in their own lives, people would seek it out in art instead.

So with that in mind, I guess I'd say that if you set out with the goal of making a genuinely tragic story for your game, (as opposed to the Mass Effect 3 and Fallout 3's where what was meant to be a triumphant ending was fumbled so thoroughly as to cast a shadow on everything that had come before) then the answer is yes.

Keeshhound fucked around with this message at 00:00 on May 21, 2014

Keeshhound
Jan 14, 2010

Mad Duck Swagger

Sleep of Bronze posted:

Plato prefers not to concern himself with poetry. Aristotle is the proponent of catharsis.

My mistake; it's been a while since I read up on the subject. :shobon:

Either way, I do think you could do a game where you lose, not just a high-cost win like in Planescape, but an actual all out loss where you watched everything you built up to that point burn down and couldn't do anything about it, but watch. But the game would need to build to that, rather than just dropping an enormous "gently caress you" right at the end. You'd need to be able to see where poo poo was going a good halfway to 2/3rds of the way into the story. Maybe even earlier.

Keeshhound
Jan 14, 2010

Mad Duck Swagger
I think my favorite part of bugsidian narrative was the way reviews of Fallout 3 never mentioned, or downplayed how hilariously unstable it was, while New Vegas got blasted (despite being, on the whole, more stable than 3).

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Keeshhound
Jan 14, 2010

Mad Duck Swagger

Don Mega posted:

Someone left a hilariously sad comment on that article.

"No romance options is a serious enthusiasm killer for me. I know it’s not important to most people, but to me it’s one of the things that makes WRPG’s worth playing. I was really hyped for this too…hopefully someone mods some in post launch."

Someone else said it before me in the Dragon Age: Inquisition thread, but... Do these people not realize that Visual Novels are a thing that exist?

• Locked thread