Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Captain Scandinaiva
Mar 29, 2010

I have a question about the UI, or more of a wish really. Will more detailed information about the game mechanics be integrated in the UI through tooltips and such? When playing many of the Infinity Engine games for the first time I often found myself confused on the mechanics. Today one also rarely has a paper copy of a game's manual ready, and it's a bit cumbersome to tab out and search a pdf. I think it would be great to have as much information from the manual as possible in the game itself.

Like, say you encounter a new enemy, you would be able to bring up information about that enemy by right-clicking them. That information could include what, if any, special attacks this enemy has. You could then click any of the special attacks to see what effect they have, maybe even how to counter the effects (see: Level and Energy Drain from BG2). Or, clicking your defense bonus would give you a full list of all effects currently affecting that stat, as well as a run down of how defense works mechanically.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Captain Scandinaiva
Mar 29, 2010

I'd like a way to get the manual as a physical copy but the game as a digital one. Always having the game available online and not having another box/case that takes up space is great. But there's something special about going to bed or the bathroom and reading though a booklet. Like I have the Witcher 2 200 page art book as a pdf, and I never get around to reading it. Having to sit by the computer and scrolling a mouse wheel instead of flipping through pages is just tedious, and I don't have a high enough quality printer.

Captain Scandinaiva
Mar 29, 2010

Mr.Pibbleton posted:

So were a lot of the status effects and the effects of stats, it's nice to mouse over things and get an explanation. Unless you were pretty familiar with D&D you had no reason to think constitution 20 would give your character regeneration.

Captain Oblivious posted:

Or that strength wouldn't do a loving thing for ya until 16, which is the arbitrary magical point at which it begins to benefit you :suicide:

I've played BG 1&2 (and NWN1, but I guess the rules are different for that one?) and still didn't know this. I played Morrowind before going through BG, MW is a bit more forgiving when it comes to character creation :v:. Was surprised when a friend explained I should have re-rolled my character until I got "good enough" stats. I just upped stats I thought sounded useful too and assumed I could raise them later on if needed. Partly true, I got through the game by getting a Dex belt and a bow.

Still, gotta love all those numbers. Glad PoE will keep those.

Captain Scandinaiva
Mar 29, 2010

MILF destroyer posted:

Early next year is a great choice

drat, I was hoping PoE wouldn't collide with Wild Hunt. Having two lore and story heavy RPGs at the same time will be overwhelming I think. Then I will have to choose which one to play first, which is impossible.

Captain Scandinaiva
Mar 29, 2010

I got to try out the Beta for a little bit over at a friend's this holiday. The animations and graphics look really good, a lot better in action than the still images or the short glimpses in the trailers. I would have wanted an even closer zoom level, even though things would look bad, just to get a better look at all the details.

I love all the information everywhere that you can sperg out about. The list of talents was a bit overwhelming, though. What I saw of combat, little as it was, seemed to have a good flow and sense of challenge without being unfair. Overall it seems to be shaping up to a great game and I'm happy I backed it!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Captain Scandinaiva
Mar 29, 2010

You can also change it to show much more information.

A loading screen tip said you can take some people prisoners and hold them in your stronghold, that's cool. Also Defiance Bay looks baller.

• Locked thread