Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
turn off the TV
Aug 4, 2010

moderately annoying

JohnnyBigPotatoes posted:

Hey so Winter 2014 huh? technically that could mean next month, you guys work fast.

Also, saw this on the site and it made me sad that this isn't getting a physical release.

Imagine that as a big BG1 sized box.

I'm getting it signed buddy. :smugdog:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

turn off the TV
Aug 4, 2010

moderately annoying

rope kid, hire me as a writer and i will make Sepherioth Goku Nightblade canon.

turn off the TV
Aug 4, 2010

moderately annoying

Personally I would like it if character shadows matched the background's lighting direction, which is what bothered me the most in the trailer.

turn off the TV
Aug 4, 2010

moderately annoying

coffeetable posted:

I was gonna say "can't be done because of prerendering etc", but thinking about it you probably could define a layer that tells the dropshadows which direction the prerendered shadows are in.

Yeah, I was thinking something like that. I don't really know how feasible it is, but the character shadows seem to change in between the different shots in the trailer, but they never really line up with what's going on in the scene.

turn off the TV
Aug 4, 2010

moderately annoying

Is the game world still supposed to be roughly the size of Spain? What's the difference between the shaded and unshaded symbols?

turn off the TV
Aug 4, 2010

moderately annoying

rope kid, as a guy who gave your company money several times in the past, and who goes to the same website as you, I feel like I'm in a pretty good position to make this demand: your kickstarter absolutely [imagine with emphasis] NEEDS to be a sequel for Sonic Chronicles: The Dark Brotherhood (ソニッククロニクル 闇次元からの侵略者). I have already prepared a script for the new game, you'll find it on fanfiction.net under my pen name "YaoiOverlord1996". Character designs and general concept art have also already been completed on my deviantart page under the same name. I have already cleared all copyright claims to my original character Darkmoon Shadowblade the hedgehog.

Thanks in advance.

turn off the TV
Aug 4, 2010

moderately annoying

coffeetable posted:

Fingers crossed they go with the new IP for the Kickstarter rather than the licensed one. There's no universe I can think of that I'd like to see adapted over seeing a fresh new one.

I would actually like a Morrowind game by Obsidian, but that's just because Morrowind borrows from non-European history for its setting's inspiration. Really, I think it would be great if there were more fantasy games outside of faux Europe. I can appreciate why they made the POE setting what it is, but I hope that Obsidian's next setting is original and more out there.

turn off the TV
Aug 4, 2010

moderately annoying

coffeetable posted:

You can get a non-European setting without hanging the TES millstone around your neck.

I can think of a lot of fantasy settings that do something other than Europe, but I can't think of many video games set in them. I mean, there's Jade Empire and uh... Even TES was going to have some crazy Roman stuff in Oblivion, but Bethesda retconned it to make it medieval Europe again. Tides of Numenera looks cool as poo poo, though.

FRINGE posted:

European history is a lot more "out there" than highschool faux-history (and the video games made from it) usually let us see.

I mean more along the lines of themes and aesthetics for when it comes to the world. I liked Morrowind quite a bit because it drew very heavily from Sumerian aesthetics, and the lore and setting just generally felt very alien. I definitely appreciate that Obsidian is making this game reminiscent of Forgotten Realms while introducing some setting elements which I feel are a lot more interesting.

turn off the TV
Aug 4, 2010

moderately annoying

Intelligence as a damage stat is cool and I approve of it, being able to build a skilled precision fighter instead of just a guy who hits extremely hard with a hammer is significantly slick but also simultaneously neat.

CommissarMega posted:

If we're talking *~my immersion~*, then I'd say resolve makes an even poorer damage stat. With Intelligence, your fighter is using his knowledge of anatomy or outright predicting where his opponent will be in the enxt split second. Resolve? "I will hit him even harder! Burning manly spirit YEARGH!" I don't know; it just sounds so anime.

When I mod Goku into the game I will make sure to use resolve as his damage modifier stat in order to accurately reflect Dragon Ball Z canon so as not to ruin anyone's immersion. You have my word, CommissarMega.

turn off the TV
Aug 4, 2010

moderately annoying

Microcline posted:

Hardiness - Your ability to carry equipment and fight for long periods without tiring

Stamina/endurance would make much more sense here.

And I have no idea why you guys care about the name of the stats so much when the Obsidian official forums are apparently fine about it. It's weird that SA and SA alone had a controversy.

turn off the TV
Aug 4, 2010

moderately annoying

Insurrectionist posted:

I'm also not a big fan of deciding stats at character creation, because there's often a lot of opacity when it comes to how certain things play out, that you need to experience as a player before finding. Like, if you're starting in IWD2 and want a Druid tank, the reasonable assumption would be that you want to make a shapeshifting druid with good Str/Dex/Con scores. Of course, the fact is physical stats don't matter (beyond feat access and the like) if you shapeshift, so you can pump Wis and Int or Cha if you do run one, and anyway non-shapeshifting Druids are better tanks than shapeshifting druids. But without playing the game, the first is very easily missed (I assume it's noted somewhere in the manual) or just won't register - the leap from 'shapeshifting forms have their own stats' to 'your base physical stats are mostly useless' isn't always logical - and the second seems entirely contradictory.

I'm pretty sure the entire point of this stat system is to avoid that situation, which is why intelligence is a straight bonus to damage for every class instead of just one.

turn off the TV
Aug 4, 2010

moderately annoying

I really hope that PE's setting ends up being more like The Witcher's and a lot less like The Forgotten Realms. The Witcher really impressed me with how real the world seemed, and almost entirely because it had actual coherent political units in the form of countries and cities supported by large scale agriculture.

turn off the TV
Aug 4, 2010

moderately annoying

FRINGE posted:

FR was like this. There were walls-full piles of books if you wanted to get into the FR political/leadership/trade stuff. (No one does this :p) No guesswork needed. What is the name of the leader of that cattail-gathering hamlet on the east side of that lake? Oh its Marvin, hes the Mayor of those 121 people and 4 dogs. They all like pie.

All that stuff was (mostly) 2e though, with some scattered in 3e between FEAT FEAT FEAT CLASS PRESTIGE CLASS FEAT FEAT.

I know that the leaders had names, but that always felt like the extent of it. I never felt like in what I've seen of the Baldur's Gate games that like civilization really existed other than inside of cities or a random town that somehow survives despite being surrounded by horrible monsters. On the other hand, the Witcher series basically constantly reminds you of and shows you the political happenings going on in the setting, even if they weren't critically important for the plot, and it made it all feel a whole lot more real.

turn off the TV
Aug 4, 2010

moderately annoying

Jimbot posted:

That's a failing of the game not the setting, though.

I still haven't found any coherent political maps of The Forgotten Realms, so you can't really fault the developers for not using them. Political elements don't really help if it's just "this guy was the mayor of this town," and not necessarily national borders, etc.

My issue is more like that fact that the area between Waterdeep and Baldur's Gate is supposed to be roughly the area of France. Baldur's Gate is supposed to have a population of like 140,000 people, and Candlekeep around 100,000, which combined makes them roughly the same size as early modern Paris, Europe's largest city. A city of a hundred thousand people is a massive, massive metropolis, historically speaking, a time when large cities had around 10-15,000 inhabitants. But, somehow, they're city states. In order for a community to grow to that size they should have massive amounts of supporting communities, but they just really don't in any of the games. It's bizarre, and that's the kind of thing that breaks my ability to believe a setting.

turn off the TV
Aug 4, 2010

moderately annoying

DatonKallandor posted:

They have wizards. They have entire cities rules by entire towers full of wizards. It's a setting where (until the dark age of 4th Edition) every backwoods village had at least one temple, with a priest who could, at the very least, cure pretty much any injury short of death. And most villages had at least one cleric who could raise the recently dead. Every big City had several temples, each of which had several priests capable of full on resurrection. Add roving random Druids with the same healing and raising power all over the wilderness and gods who aren't afraid to get their hands dirty and flex their magic muscles.

You're worried they don't have enough farming communities to feed everyone? Magic.

Rookersh posted:

To be fair, this is a setting where a single man can wave his hands a few times and in the process summon food. I'm not sure realistic growth patterns really take much precedence in that setting.

That's not even counting the racial issues ( how do elves, gnomes, dwarves, halforcs, humans, etc all coexist in a regional setting. Probably not well, this would lead to constant wars/fighting ), or the regional developmental issues ( there are literal giants/trolls in the woods that'll come out and kill entire villages fairly regularly ).

I mean with such a harsh outside setting why the gently caress would anyone choose to not live in a massive city. I wouldn't be a farmer if I knew GIANTS could move into the local region at any given time. And when you can just magic in food, why not?

This makes even less sense, because why are there farms at all if food can just magically appear? I mean a post scarcity fantasy setting where everyone is basically immortal and food can be created out of thin air thanks to all powerful mages acting like tiny little gods could be cool, but that isn't really what The Forgotten Realms is, either, because there are still loving bandits. If food can be created out of nothing, why are there bandits? It's not like there would ever really be scarcity. Adding in "a wizard did it" as the explanation for any issues with the setting introduces a whole swath of other weird rear end problems.

I believe in rope kid, though, the man behind an explanation of what backed the currency in Fallout New Vegas and promising a more mundane, lower magical insanity setting.

turn off the TV
Aug 4, 2010

moderately annoying

e: After writing this post, I am kind of curious as to what approach the maps in PE have. If you could share, rope kid, are the big cities going to be presented like Baldur's Gate in Baldur's Gate, or more like Sigil from Planescape Torment?

Kuiperdolin posted:

There are tons of farms around, you see a couple and the other are inbetween the discrete maps. You don't see them because people want to see dungeons and monsters, not hang around subsistance farmers talking about the last rain and how it compares to every other oneover the last twenty years. God.

Rookersh posted:

Because Wizards in that setting have to spend 6+ hours memorizing a spell, then forget it the second they cast it? That's not really something that can be abused for infinite food. You'd still need farms/fisheries, just nowhere near as many as we need in our world. Unless we just decide to be really silly and imagine some sort of Wizard farm system going on, where apprentice Wizards and sent to cast the "Make food" spell over and over again until they make it to Master Wizard.

You also do have to take the world into account as well. Real monsters lurk around every single corner, so small farming communities couldn't exist in this world. People would flock to the large cities for protection, and you'd likely end up having one big city, and a few smaller cities built around it. That's not even counting the fact the water is teeming with mythical beats. Farming/Fishing would have never developed as it did for us, and other means like hunting would have taken the spot of the traditional source of natural food.

So wizards are responsible for providing food partially but also they don't, while farms exist but you never see them and they aren't really mentioned, also farming is dangerous so nobody really does that and they just hunt to sustain their cities of 100,000 people instead. But also farm. And maybe wizards do provide food? That's still not really doing a whole lot for me in terms of making the world believable, considering that hunting is basically below sustenance farming and sustenance farming needs a whole gently caress load of it to support urban populations that large.

I know a lot of people probably don't care a whole lot about where the big fantasy city's food comes from, but that's the kind of thing that really bothers me and takes me out of a game. If the setting just sort of ignores it and doesn't try to be realistic at all I think that's fine. I just won't really enjoy the setting all that much. That's what Skyrim does, and honestly I don't really think about that game's world too much, but I feel like isometric RPGs are in a unique position to present their locations as being sort of snapshots of larger cities and regions, and can do a lot to present their settings in more realistic seeming ways.

I mean, if you want to have a farmland map then I think that just having the farms extend off the map, would do a whole lot for making it seem like there's more to the world than just the map that you're seeing. Making offhand remarks about other areas, political happenings, celebrities, things going on in the town down the road, etc. help build believability and I feel they aren't really at a whole lot of expense. The old IE games like Baldur's Gate never really gave me the impression that Baldur's Gate was actually a city of 140,000 people, while Planescape: Torment certainly made it seem like you were in some insanely huge city because it presented its areas just as bits and pieces of a larger city.

turn off the TV fucked around with this message at 03:02 on Jan 6, 2014

turn off the TV
Aug 4, 2010

moderately annoying

idonotlikepeas posted:

Baldur's Gate actually does all of this. I'm not sure why people were getting into the wizard stuff before. If you look at the map around the city, we have: two dependent villages supporting the city (Beregost and Nashkell) an unnamed fishing community, two mines, several farming areas on the edges of maps, and numerous forests containing deer and other huntable animals. Also we only see the area southeast of Baldur's Gate itself; presumably there's four times this amount of stuff if you go all the way around the city; it's on a river, not the coast. Oh, right, and it's on a river and is a center of trade, meaning some of its income comes from taxes which it uses to purchase supplies from traders (which I believe is mentioned at some point during a boring infodump). Overall the supporting infrastructure is okay, although it could be better. There's even dialogue about Amn which informs the political situation and the problems caused by the iron plague.

As far as the setting is concerned Bergost is about 100 miles away from Baldur's Gate and I think it's supposed to be its own independent community, not necessarily feeding into the city. That's like three or four days away.

turn off the TV
Aug 4, 2010

moderately annoying

Sleep of Bronze posted:

I can't find any sources on how many citizens Candlekeep has, except for the description of its law enforcers. 1 commander, 5 lieutenants, 12 armed monks per lieutenant. That doesn't imply anything near a population of 100000.

Half of Baldur's Gate's history is about how the farming communities near Baldur's Gate took advantage of the city's favourable position for trade to put huge taxes on incoming goods. For their troubles, the merchants and sailors initiated a brief civil war to regain the right to unmolested trade. And I don't imagine it hurts that the available seafood diet (from just the list of products Baldur's Gate natively does trade in) includes whales. Not going to feed a city but there's still gotta be a lot of meat on each one.

Yeah I meant Waterdeep. Also by a supporting community I mean like a couple million people or more. I mean France's population prior to the bubonic plague hitting it was around 20 million people, and its largest city was about 200,000, and I think that its urban population was probably only around half a million at most. That's like... 2.5% of the country's population in urban centers. So if Waterdeep or Baldur's Gate or whatever works roughly in the same way I'd expect, at least like... 4 million people in the area around it? A bunch of smaller communities as well.

FRINGE posted:

Saying that the setting for The Witcher was good because you liked the game "The Witcher" and the setting of the FR is bad because you didnt like the game "Baldurs Gate" as much is not actually addressing the settings.

I don't know a whole lot about The Forgotten Realms and I guess it just does a really lovely job of presenting itself but it doesn't seem very realistic in terms of population, which is something I don't like. And I do like Baldur's Gate, I just think there are a lot of things that it could have done better. If it did such a lovely job of presenting its setting that it ignored significant amounts of it, that seems like a pretty big fault on the game's part.

turn off the TV
Aug 4, 2010

moderately annoying

Basic Chunnel posted:

Most of that stuff was open-ended but it was meant to be, because they were all written to be hooks for in media res long-haul campaigns. The thing that feels off about the setting is that there's all sorts of high stakes epic-level poo poo going on and most of it is intensely regional in importance and effect. Personally, though, I'd take any of it over Witcher's sub-GoT realpolitik mud farming on any day of the week. That setting is intensely boring to me.

Witcher 1/2 spoilers, but calling the setting boring is kinda weird to me because the main plot arc of the games deals with the fact that the main character was at one point killed, and abducted by a bunch of magic elves with super magictechnology from another dimension who are their world's version of the grim reaper, but are actually completely mortal and project themselves into the world as an army of flying ghosts instead. That's very cool, and very good in my opinion.

It also deals with interesting themes like racism, otherness, the nature of their universe, evil, etc. while still managing to seem like a down to earth pretty believable setting where kings are still greedy asshats and people are sent to die in wars for no reason. I realize that people really like high fantasy, and I do to, but I think that it's possible to do epic fantasy in a way which keeps the world and characters believable. I feel like this is also what Obsidian is going for with PE.

turn off the TV
Aug 4, 2010

moderately annoying

AngryBooch posted:

I like magic over grit in my fantasy settings so I'll take Forgotten Realms over Ice and Fire, The Witcher, or even Dragon Age any day.

The two aren't really mutually exclusive. The Witcher is magic out the rear end while still being what people consider gritty. It's just less apparent about it.

Demiurge4 posted:

Listening to his Dwarf buddy go on about his almost father-in-law was great. Seriously everything about the series is gold, when you send Dandelion into the hole Geralt just goes "the loving idiot actually went in?" :allears:

There are certain sacrifices that a man must be willing to make for the sake of his art.

turn off the TV
Aug 4, 2010

moderately annoying

Mordaedil posted:

I've always felt that if magic is rendered mundane in your campaign, then perhaps every class should have some spellcasting ability, regardless of how much.

As far as I remember all of the classes in PoE do have spellcasting abilities, basically, because magic is using your soul to accomplish certain things.

turn off the TV
Aug 4, 2010

moderately annoying

rope kid posted:

It might be. Currently it's just a fixed (slow) speed.

On the topic of GAMEHAX that are actually just little-known parts of the game, is everyone aware what clicking on matching open/closed brackets in F3/F:NV's hacking minigame does?

Yes, if you have only one attempt left it removes incorrect answers you've already tried, and if you're still at maximum attempts then it does a full refill.

turn off the TV
Aug 4, 2010

moderately annoying

Rinkles posted:

What a miserable way to play.

There's nothing wrong with powergaming, actually it's a lot of fun and is one of the things that made me stick around with Morrowind for so long. Sure you could play the game from an in character perspective, or you could get magical armor which let you fly, have infinite health, magic, and stamina and then kill the strongest (and plot critical) characters in the world by summoning dozens of extremely low level enemies, and then still complete the main plot anyways because the developers just let you do that. Or you could not, and just play the game normally without worrying about people hitting the final boss so hard the engine crashes or beating the game in ten minutes.

turn off the TV
Aug 4, 2010

moderately annoying

That Valian merit mention made me think a bit. One thing about the setting that I'm kind of curious about is how much of an effect its societies believe souls have on an individual, and how much of an effect blood lineage has. I mean, why care about a prince if everyone knows that he could very well have just been some random schmuck peasant in his past life? It's not like you really have a case that someone's offspring will have their same traits, like a knack for ruling, if they don't really have a relationship to their parents outside of appearance. Obsidian has talked about like soul purity of lineage, but how would that even work? As far as I'm aware there isn't a system where reincarnation is based off of past merits like India.

turn off the TV
Aug 4, 2010

moderately annoying

Alignment is pretty stupid and limiting. Defining good and evil as a nine box grid is also pretty weird and dumb. You could have a ruler who, say, desired only personal power and stability and cared little about the interests of others, but at the same time they believed that the best way to do that would be to rule fairly and ensure the prosperity of their subjects. You could also have an incredibly utlitarian ruler who is 100% a ok with performing brutal atrocities if they believed that the sacrifices were in the best interest for their people as a whole. You could have a racist character who sees no issue with murdering a foreigner, but at the same time would balk at doing the same thing with one of their own countrymen.

Where would any of these characters fit on the D&D alignment chart? Is a character doing good things for a selfish reason more or less evil than a character doing bad things for a selfless reason? Is it acceptable for a lawful good Paladin, charged with destroying evil, to kill an evil character who hasn't actually broken any laws, and is just selfish?

Alignment systems have so many dumb things going for them. They really limit what's possible with characters outside of just making everyone "neutral" or whatever, and let's not get started on the whole "every sentient being born into this race is just always 100% evil," thing

turn off the TV
Aug 4, 2010

moderately annoying

Keeshhound posted:

Enough for Shakespeare to write a play about one.

Shakespeare probably wrote Othello because England had just entered into pretty close relationship with Morocco during his lifetime and London had been visited by a delegation from there which was pretty crazy for the time. He never visited Venice, and it was pretty much some kind of fantastic foreign utopia as far as he was concerned. It's like how he wrote a play about a Jew living in Venice despite the fact that nobody in England had ever met a Jew, but they must be in Venice.

turn off the TV
Aug 4, 2010

moderately annoying

namad posted:

Speaking as someone who watches a lot of subtitled tv shows and movies, yet also reads his subtitles and skips the voice acting after hearing a few words of it.... I can absolutely read video game subtitled lines about three times as fast as the voices go. For televison and movies it's about one to one and I have only as much time as I need to read a line before it's gone(but without having to speedread). I don't know why this is. Are the video games moving the voices along too slowly? or does sitting one foot away from my monitor let me read faster than sitting six feet away from my tv?

I feel like, in general, voice acting in video games is usually pretty slow and has a lot of pauses between lines. Like a subtitle in an RPG usually pops up before someone begins talking and sticks around after a character is finished speaking. It's especially great when one character is supposed to be interrupting another and there's like a second long gap between the lines.

turn off the TV
Aug 4, 2010

moderately annoying

El Pollo Blanco posted:

Currently, what we're listening to in the track provided in the update is just orchestral sample libraries, so it sounds pretty dead. The final soundtrack will be orchestral recording, though, I'm sure.

I thought the official forums had demanded that no money be given to hire a real orchestra because music doesn't matter and nobody can tell the difference between live music and samples. Hopefully I'm misremembering or they just weren't listened to, because live music really makes a huge difference to me.

turn off the TV
Aug 4, 2010

moderately annoying

Otto Skorzeny posted:

It depends on what you mean by mobility. My understanding is that well made full plate restricts the movement of your joints less, but is going to tire you out more quickly due to the weight. Obviously the gauge of mail we're comparing plate to has an effect on this. And if you go High Middle Ages and have full plate over mail and compare that to just mail, of course there's no question.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5hlIUrd7d1Q&t=44s

I'm no expert, but a full suit if plate armor probably weighed anywhere from 35-60 pounds, which I assume depended on make and material. This places it solidly in the weight range for what the US military has its soldiers lug around today. People were also able to do acrobatic routines while wearing it. If I remember right the reason plate armor was transitioned out of use wasn't necessarily because it was cumbersome and heavy, but because it was ridiculously expensive, difficult to maintain and stopped being terribly relevant once firearms and pikes started being commonly adopted.

turn off the TV fucked around with this message at 16:58 on May 15, 2014

turn off the TV
Aug 4, 2010

moderately annoying

Litany Unheard posted:

Bioware may not write the best stories, but they have the best storytelling.

Darker, sexier, better. :liara:

I'm disappointed thatm due to engine limitations, Obsidian will be unable to truly convey a mature, character driven story, as they will not be able to frame the camera in a character's butt every single time you talk to her.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

turn off the TV
Aug 4, 2010

moderately annoying

Being able to make ridiculously overpowered characters in RPGs is fun, and is one of the reasons why I like Morrowind so much. There's nothing wrong with having the option to become an invincible turbogod.

• Locked thread