Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Basic Chunnel
Sep 21, 2010

Jesus! Jesus Christ! Say his name! Jesus! Jesus! Come down now!

Mordaedil posted:

Is the reason why we are not seeing any 4th edition D&D games because Atari hates 4th edition?
Atari couldn't publish itself out of a paper bag at this point even if it had cash, which it doesn't.

The other thing is that Wizards has their 4th ed game, the Neverwinter MMO, which is being published by a Chinese firm. So.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Basic Chunnel
Sep 21, 2010

Maybe it's because every Unity game is made cheaply, but I feel like the bounce / floaty-ness might just be a feature of the engine, the way terrible hair and weightless models were in every UE3 game.

These last few pages are a great reminder why we get so little in-game media from the devs, even when it's stamped clearly as WIP. The impulse to be a backseat driver / get upset at the possibility that what you're seeing may somehow end up being final is too great.

Basic Chunnel
Sep 21, 2010

Delta Green.

Basic Chunnel
Sep 21, 2010

Wolfsheim posted:

Why would Bethesda blacklist RPG Codex in the first place? And no one say quality standards.
A better question is why anyone would read or post in the RPG Codex

Basic Chunnel
Sep 21, 2010

IIRC there was one super-aspie rage nerd on the forum around the time of FO3's development who claimed to have inside knowledge of the production and made a whole lot of withering statements about the game that I don't think turned out to be true. Maybe they didn't want to lend credence to that kind of talk.

Basic Chunnel
Sep 21, 2010

None of the NPCs will be story critical

Basic Chunnel
Sep 21, 2010

epitasis posted:

Where is this news about the next Kickstarter? Didn't that RPS article come out two days ago??
It's possible the writer jumped the gun on that detail and someone balked.

If the actual Kickstarter itself were being announced, you want to do that on Monday or maybe Tuesday, to catch the news cycle.

Basic Chunnel
Sep 21, 2010

Obsidian is a bigger studio than InXile and likely has people they could put on a new KS project without adding too much strain.

Basic Chunnel
Sep 21, 2010

tbh it seems like a lot of locations were named after the revolutionary war, when they probably weren't chomping at the bit for tourism. "Defiance Bay", "Fleetbreaker Cove" (or whatever that's called), etc

Basic Chunnel
Sep 21, 2010

They started with the base 4 (fighter, rogue, wizard, cleric), then I believe it was barbarians and druids, then monks and paladins. I'm 100% sure that chanters and cyphers were last.

* oh, well I was wrong.

Basic Chunnel
Sep 21, 2010

It's been said before but Obsidian is a studio built for AAA game making, and while they could definitely support another KS game, the studio would not in any way be sustained by them. Pillars of Eternity has a very, very small team. They'll still be hustling for at least 2 concurrent AAA projects at any one time.

Basic Chunnel
Sep 21, 2010

Delta Green

Basic Chunnel
Sep 21, 2010

Well, don't leave us in suspense

Basic Chunnel
Sep 21, 2010

Another Person posted:

Can you actually dual wield the shield in this game? Please make it a choice, so I can have a dual shielded paladin or some ridiculous bullshit like that. I like a good challenge run.
Pretty sure it's been ruled out. In any event including such it means a lot of modeling and animation / programming to be spent on a joke.

Basic Chunnel
Sep 21, 2010

Iirc the most powergame-y Blade exploits were fixed in the rerelease. It's still basically a F/M/T that levels super quick, though.

Basic Chunnel
Sep 21, 2010

Furism posted:

Nobody mentioned Cthulhu yet, so I'll mention that license as a would-be-nice.
I mentioned it at least twice

Basic Chunnel
Sep 21, 2010

CottonWolf posted:

The thing about Cthulhu is, I have no idea how it would work as a CRPG. You're inevitably going to lose, any combat in going to go badly, your sanity is will be sapped. The only good Mythos game is Eternal Darkness, and that wasn't even based on real Lovecraft.
Sure you can win, you can't destroy the Great Old Ones but you can put them back to sleep til the stars are right again in however many millennia. The great thing about Call of Cthulhu as a game setting is that you're always losing until you win.

Basic Chunnel
Sep 21, 2010

I can't help but feel like a 10-hour open world game wouldn't feel feel very open world. That's like two guild questlines' worth of content in Skyrim.

Anyway, I'll roll the dice and assume that the licensed property in play is Numenera or w/e that's called, because Avellone's already worked closely with the creators and with Torment already in play they've got the opportunity to turn the IP into a new kind of franchise entirely native to Kickstarter (plus it would naturally jibe with the tech, some of which is also being used for Torment). Sort of like the Linux to D&D's Windows, a hardcore alternative communally developed and supported. And I guess it's sci-fi, in a sense, though from what I've read the setting doesn't particularly appeal to me. I'm just not terribly interested in more overt sci-fi/fantasy mashups. I like one or the other.

Basic Chunnel
Sep 21, 2010

Well, they would have to ask for more money to meet expectations. A lot of people were expecting what wasn't promised.

Basic Chunnel
Sep 21, 2010

Cthulhu narratives that hew close to Lovecraft's original stories and settings tend to fall in and around WWI. In fact there have been some set within it. There was an actually-pretty-great Call of Cthulhu tactical combat game released for phones, The Wasted Land.

Basic Chunnel
Sep 21, 2010

epitasis posted:

How is any of that specific to a superhero setting.

superheros are cool and fun to play

Basic Chunnel
Sep 21, 2010

Actually I was gonna ask - are talents (or whatever the feat equivalents are called) tied to attributes at all? I figured they wouldn't be so as to avoid the sort of precognition required for competent 3rd ed D&D character building, but it's worth asking.

Basic Chunnel
Sep 21, 2010

It depends on your familiarity with AD&D (or 3.0 if you're going IWD2 I guess, but that's a bad first choice). BG2 is the total package, though, and the one most akin to more contemporary Bioware-style RPGs, for better or worse (mostly better).

Basic Chunnel
Sep 21, 2010

You could do it up Diablo-style, where you have derived stats directly next to their primary attributes in the character UI. You pump intellect or w/e and see a corresponding change to the stats in real time. It's not good to design your game around people who are not quick enough to notice even that.

Basic Chunnel
Sep 21, 2010

Damage being tied to intelligence makes sense within PoE's class scheme. Fighters are meant to be reliable and versatile, it's the rogues who deal out grand punishments. Barbarians are AoE combatants as well.

Brute strength might count in a fist fight but when you've got weapons being fast and smart are ultimately better assets. The heavy / edged metal generally does the lifting for you.

Actually, tying armor penetration to strength could really work, if there is such a mechanic.

Basic Chunnel fucked around with this message at 06:05 on Dec 19, 2013

Basic Chunnel
Sep 21, 2010

They're building the systems around what doesn't break, and as Rope Kid has stated before, weapon proficiency systems have a singular tendency to make games appear to have more possibilities than they actually do. gently caress realism. Save it for sims.

Basic Chunnel
Sep 21, 2010

I'll have you know I am very well-read in RPG game design forums and let me tell you something - *adult trombone sound from the Peanuts cartoon*

They shouldn't change a thing. If people are still mad at release they can mod in a passive damage bonus based on strength and voila.

Basic Chunnel fucked around with this message at 13:16 on Dec 19, 2013

Basic Chunnel
Sep 21, 2010

The best kinds of threads are the ones that have 200+ new replies when you wake up in the morning, only for the furor to have been about the preservation of immersion in a game that was specifically pitched as not being a simulation.

God bless game designers for their beatific patience.

Basic Chunnel
Sep 21, 2010

01011001 posted:

They had to have been expecting this from the word go, is the thing. When you bring up the possibility of a followup to something that's such a fixture there's going to be hangups for sure.
I'd been on the Obsidian forums for some years prior to the Kickstarter and trust me, it's always been like this. The scale is different, that's all.

Basic Chunnel
Sep 21, 2010

So it's pretty certain that they'll be introducing new stretch goals, right? I'd imagine the market is so saturated (so to speak) that they'll need new swag options to cover them. I'm sure there are some number of people who would upgrade from a lower pledge tier but I'm unsure if there are THAT many.

I'd also like to see a higher stretch goal making unused assets for potential modding purposes, but I'm not sure how feasible that even is as a concept.

Basic Chunnel
Sep 21, 2010

coffeetable posted:

Because you mention party NPC interactions in there: in the leaked Alien footage, there was a neat mechanic where you could respond to NPC's banter (if you wanted to) without it interrupting gameplay. Are you doing anything like that in PE?

(I guess it doesn't have as much value in PE because maintaining tension isn't as important as it'd be in an Aliens setting, but still)
I imagine substantial ambient bark conversations might be a bit out of their range, VA budget-wise.

Basic Chunnel
Sep 21, 2010

hangedman1984 posted:

I second this.
They talked a bit about how inconsistent and peculiar SEGA's requirements were through the iterations of Alpha Protocol's development. One of the weirder facts was that the team wanted to minimize the relationship between weapon skills and basic character ability to shoot straight or do effective damage (make twitch+ combat, essentially), but SEGA decided that system was "not RPG enough" and mandated an old school stats-ability dependency. Naturally everyone hated it.

Basic Chunnel
Sep 21, 2010

Fish Fry Andy posted:

As far as the setting is concerned Bergost is about 100 miles away from Baldur's Gate and I think it's supposed to be its own independent community, not necessarily feeding into the city. That's like three or four days away.
It's in BG's claimed territory, given the open presence of the military contractors that the state employs as its law enforcement. The Forgotten Realms is a setting of nation states that project power over large swaths of land.

As of 3.5 the FR was great and had a lot of pretty interesting angles that probably got shitcanned in the 4E cataclysm (I haven't played the new edition). Thay was in the process of transitioning from being an old school land-hungry military powerhouse into a new role as a neoliberal economic dominator (in PC games, the only place this shows up is in the first act of NWN1: Shadows of Undrentide). They were also using mythal-level spells to terraform the Thayvian wastelands, potentially loving up the climate elsewhere Alpha Centauri-style. There was a burgeoning forest nation of topside drow and half-drow. Waukeen was missing. Lolth was too and possibly dying, and her priesthood were trying to keep wraps on it. Khelben Blackstaff started a secret splinter faction within the Harpers for ambiguous reasons.

Most of that stuff was open-ended but it was meant to be, because they were all written to be hooks for in media res long-haul campaigns. The thing that feels off about the setting is that there's all sorts of high stakes epic-level poo poo going on and most of it is intensely regional in importance and effect. Personally, though, I'd take any of it over Witcher's sub-GoT realpolitik mud farming on any day of the week. That setting is intensely boring to me.

Basic Chunnel fucked around with this message at 05:33 on Jan 6, 2014

Basic Chunnel
Sep 21, 2010

Slightly off-topic, but a uni profile of Obsidz' new associate producer mentions that an as-yet-unrevealed game that Obsidian is working on will be unveiled at GDC in March. Could be the unannounced AAA project they've got going (most likely), a new Kickstarter (possibly? If they've already decided what it will be), or the MMO we know they're contracted for (possible but seems redundant).

Basic Chunnel fucked around with this message at 03:54 on Jan 13, 2014

Basic Chunnel
Sep 21, 2010

The Kickstarter will not be an MMO, they are not dumb enough to think that's viable. And they're only doing the foreign contract because post-release support will be handled by the publisher. MMOs are huge undertakings and pretty specialized. You're either going to go with your own subsidiary made specifically for the games (Bioware In Texas, etc) or contract to an independent studio that works more or less entirely in the genre.

I'd rather they stayed the gently caress away from CDP in all capacities save for localization and distribution. If you're going to make games this niche, you might as well do it yourself while you can, no matter who your prospective publishers are. I'd love to see an Obsidian cyberpunk game but I wouldn't want them playing second banana to a studio that make obsidz's very specific kind of game but do so with less verve and more layers of Frank Miller coating.

Basic Chunnel
Sep 21, 2010

CottonWolf posted:

I kind of hope they're brought back Seven Dwarves or Defiance. A really dark version of Grimms' is always cool, and Defiance was pitched as a game where Sauron won. I don't actually think it was ever a LotR based game, that was purely illustrative, but it's a really great concept. Especially if they didn't force you to play the resistance, if you could just join the evil armies and crush the hopes and dreams of all the innocent fantasy realm dwellers. Not enough games allow you to play an outright bastard.
If the rumors were true and Defiance was going to be published by Microsoft I would bet money on Obsidian having signed over the rights to the IP when they got the contract, and if that's true then we'll probably never see it in any capacity.

Still, no reason that whatever design they innovated for the game can't be repurposed elsewhere.

Basic Chunnel
Sep 21, 2010

The listed character is a Paladin, and making primary stats affect different substats for different classes is confusing and bad design on its face, especially in a game with this many classes.

One thing we're learning with Kickstarter is that there's only a certain amount of novelty that players are willing to tolerate when it comes to mechanics. Archetypes are not to be hosed with.

Basic Chunnel
Sep 21, 2010

I just got a year-old laptop with an integrated video chipset and it can run Skyrim on low-mid settings like a champ. If Wasteland 2 is anything to go by, the public beta will probably have a weirdly high minimum spec requirement as resources are used inefficiently / are unoptimized (it loads jerkily at lowest settings on mine, currently). Once the quirks get sorted out it should have requirements more in line with its budget. You won't need a Crysis- or Witcher-capable rig.

Basic Chunnel
Sep 21, 2010

Game romances don't need to be justified or defended on any of the grounds they're typically fought over. The mechanical / ludonarrative arguments are typically specious and dishonest, since there are very few other elements of play that are examined in such detail. Moreover it is, in most cases, a rather simple expression of the same free-floating discomfort that tars fanfic and Sherlock tumblrs and the like. The theoretical grubby nerd who's supposed to enjoy these things is never acknowledged to be a woman but very often is in actuality. That the Witcher gets a pass over the extended, talky plots of Bioware romances (or at least is considered a minor problem in comparison) only serves to underline that fact.

It's the unassailably masculine variant that goes unnoticed. The way to do romance in games without threatening the average gamer is to ensure that your gently caress objects are characters only in the most cursory of ways.

But as with any RPG, PoE will receive its romances once modding capability is established. The genre will never really be safe for heterosexual men ever again.

Basic Chunnel fucked around with this message at 22:11 on Feb 11, 2014

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Basic Chunnel
Sep 21, 2010

The relationship between Kreia and the Exile is a sort of love, or at least it is revealed to be

• Locked thread