Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Darkhold
Feb 19, 2011

No Heart❤️
No Soul👻
No Service🙅
Well I'm still against more stretch goals but Ropekid's thoughtful replies and the updates made me stop worrying about it. If they add more it sounds like they've thought everything through.

It is embarrassing to be so wrong when I thought the initial post had to be some kind of mistake. Ah well.

Anyway I clicked on the mysterious extra $5 and marked it as 'contact me over this donation' and now I'm fully locked out of the store until support talks to me. Bummer.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Darkhold
Feb 19, 2011

No Heart❤️
No Soul👻
No Service🙅
Oh Obsidian

quote:

Hi Darkhold,

We see that you need some assistance with your pledge for Pillars of Eternity, and we want to make sure that we have everything correct on our side. We have you marked as a $5 pledge, but from your pledge amount it looks like you should be at the $5000 pledge level for your DELIVERENCE INN. Does this look correct to you?

Please reply to this email, and then we will make the adjustments to your account. We will then contact you again when everything is in order.

Thank you for your donation,
Sure I'd love to get the $5,000 tier reward.

Edit: Just for clarity I do have a $77 donation showing correctly. It's just this mystery $5 I'm trying to get cleared up.

Darkhold fucked around with this message at 08:38 on Dec 12, 2013

Darkhold
Feb 19, 2011

No Heart❤️
No Soul👻
No Service🙅

coffeetable posted:

I'll never understand people who want licensed titles over fresh IP :psyduck:
There's something to be said about iteration sometimes. The Hitman Series took multiple games before Blood Money really got the formula right. The Total War series usually takes a couple of games whenever they update their engine to get things nailed down.

Sometimes a good game series needs to be looked at a couple of times and the weak spots polished up over just doing something new and making all new mistakes.

Darkhold
Feb 19, 2011

No Heart❤️
No Soul👻
No Service🙅
Alpha Protocol was more James Bond with magic gadgets. It's not like it was ever supposed to be 100% realistic.

Darkhold
Feb 19, 2011

No Heart❤️
No Soul👻
No Service🙅

Fuschia tude posted:

I think you missed an important aspect of James Bond.
I honestly can't tell what you're going for here? Either you misread my post and think I said that James Bond has magic gadgets which is pretty close to the truth anyway but wasn't what I was saying, or you...er something. Can you clarify?

Darkhold
Feb 19, 2011

No Heart❤️
No Soul👻
No Service🙅

Megazver posted:

Dude, statistically like 80-90% of people playing RPGs with romance actually do romance. Frankly, I find these goony posts about 'romance ewwww cooties' way weirder and sadder. *pat pat* It's okay to pretend to like someone for a while to vicariously experience the rush of falling in love all over again. It's not just for girls. No one will make fun of you for it.

EDIT: Only relevant link I can find at the moment, but I've seen more with similar results:

http://www.dorkly.com/article/10962/love-amp-videogames-a-valentines-day-infographic
I think the goon dislike is it's hard to write a romance that works well within the game mechanics and is well written on top of it. Makes for an easy (and valid) target of criticism.

Personally I tend to like romances but even I can see they're often the weakest part of the game. I really hope they evolve into something that's much better written than the current standard.

Darkhold
Feb 19, 2011

No Heart❤️
No Soul👻
No Service🙅

GigaFuzz posted:

RPS article with future Kickstarter discussion is up:
http://www.rockpapershotgun.com/2013/12/14/obsidians-bold-future-eternity-meets-skyrim-a-second-ks/

Gist of it seems to be that they have a couple of fairly firm ideas, one licensed, one original, but probably not going to be happening until March-April next year.
Ropekid in the article it talks about getting even closer to the characters and having fewer. Do you guys ever talk about doing the opposite? Pulling back and controlling mini armies? I'd love to see a tactical battle/Empire sim written by Obsidian. I realize it's not your usual thing but I'm curious if it's even something you'd be interested in.

Darkhold
Feb 19, 2011

No Heart❤️
No Soul👻
No Service🙅

Fuligin posted:

This could be amazing, although far too out of the ordinary for most people to ever have a chance of being made.
I'd submit that most ordinary people don't give money to video game kickstarters to begin with.

Internet nerds however would likely throw money at Obsidian/inXile no matter what they proposed and love the Cthulhu mythos already. Probably not another 4million kickstarter but I can see it doing 1million easy.

Darkhold
Feb 19, 2011

No Heart❤️
No Soul👻
No Service🙅
The health mechanic will definitely be interesting to see in game. My first reaction is 'huh that's weird' but maybe it will turn out to be a great new way to see party health. At worst at least they're trying something that will be exciting to explore.

Darkhold
Feb 19, 2011

No Heart❤️
No Soul👻
No Service🙅

VanSandman posted:

Honestly, I read this and think: But you're OBSIDIAN. People gave you money out of trust that you can make a drat fine RPG. Do they really not trust you to innovate mechanically while capturing that same emotional impact and fun factor of the old DnD stuff?
I seriously just wish I could empty quote this and laugh but 'fans' (and yes I include myself) are a bunch of vocal opinionated assholes that will argue and throw fits about anything and everything. There's simply no announcement or decision Obsidian can make that some semi-autistic won't freak out about.

Kickstarters in general seemed to bring these people out of the woodwork. Since they 'invested' in their game and believe that any deviation from what they pictured in their head is a personal offence they're going to watch every update like a hawk in order to get mad over something.

Obsidian so far has seemed to do a really really good job of keeping things in balance with ignoring the crazier fringe while still keeping the core people onboard but getting too abstract and they'll lose the very people that are passionate about a certain type of game and paid money to see that developed without being completely nuts.

Darkhold
Feb 19, 2011

No Heart❤️
No Soul👻
No Service🙅

Pringles_School posted:

People here should also have more faith in Obsidian making this balancing act work.
They're good but they're not gods. When you have people wanting to sue inXile over announcing turn based combat for Torment (when the developers put forth a huge update explaining every step of their thought process) you're not dealing with rational people. Even the core group of more tolerant people will buck if you change too many things.

Darkhold
Feb 19, 2011

No Heart❤️
No Soul👻
No Service🙅
I do like all the 'let's just all trust Obsidian guys!' posts don't trust Obsidian to sort through all the suggestions and complaints to figure out what is really bothering people verses what's just bothering the fringe people that wouldn't be happy no matter what.

As a side note I personally don't care what they call their stats as long as they give me a good tooltip that explains in detail what everything does. Nothing is more annoying then dealing with a new system where they rename things AND hide the numbers (looking at you Dragon Age Origins)

Darkhold
Feb 19, 2011

No Heart❤️
No Soul👻
No Service🙅

Zore posted:

Obviously we need to make every stat named the opposite of what it is now to break people of the association.

I vote we replace Dexterity with Sinisterity. (Down with righty)
Sinister hands for life.

I vote we implement a THAC0 type system to stats and actually have higher numbers be worse.

Darkhold
Feb 19, 2011

No Heart❤️
No Soul👻
No Service🙅
How about on first load it asks the user to input his own name for things.

Sure it'd be a huge headache for the developer but imagine how much everyone will love having 'swole' for a stat.

Darkhold
Feb 19, 2011

No Heart❤️
No Soul👻
No Service🙅

coffeetable posted:

I'm assuming everyone kills them?
Yeah it's a huge inherent flaw in 'evil' races. There's no morality to argue about if the race itself will never have a chance to be anything but a mortal danger to everyone else if it grows up.

Unless of course you have a lawful-stupid paladin in the group that tries to mess everything up.

Darkhold
Feb 19, 2011

No Heart❤️
No Soul👻
No Service🙅

Zore posted:

In comparison, HK-47 is almost completely incidental, all of his unique stuff was cut out of the plot, and he can be easily ignored all game. Yet he caught on.
Just a quick note that HK-47 was already popular before KotoR2 as he was a fan favorite from the first game. Someone like G0-TO had zero chance of competing with him before the game even started.

Darkhold
Feb 19, 2011

No Heart❤️
No Soul👻
No Service🙅

User posted:

There isn't really magic in middle earth anyhow.
:psyduck: you're using an awfully strange definition of the word magic. It's a place where gods and demons literally walk the earth and you can raise an army of dead spirits.

Darkhold
Feb 19, 2011

No Heart❤️
No Soul👻
No Service🙅

User posted:

The Valar and Maia (of which Gandalf is one) are certainly fantastic beings, but it's not really magic in the typical sense. They are very old and very powerful and basically know all the secrets of creation since they built Arda and sang the theme song, but they are entirely natural.
Yeah I don't know why you have invested this much thought in this but even Tolkien called it magic. There's roughly a billion and one fantasy books where 'magic' is some type of natural force but it's still just magic.

Darkhold
Feb 19, 2011

No Heart❤️
No Soul👻
No Service🙅

User posted:

Because what Tolkien does is actually far more subtle and interesting than D&D or roughly a billion fantasy books' style magic or roughly a billion fantasy books, that's why.
You make me sad. It can be the most subtle and most interesting magic system ever and still be magic. For some reason you seem to feel that you need to elevate the material to some higher plane. Relax. People will judge you more for arguing the point that 'it's not really magic guys! Really!' instead of just accepting you really like a book that's full of magic rings, trolls, ghost armies, dragons and demons of the deep.

And I've read books that did magic even more naturalistic and subtle than Tolkien. And yes it's still magic.

Darkhold
Feb 19, 2011

No Heart❤️
No Soul👻
No Service🙅
Resets your number of tries if I remember correctly. Makes all those games really easy.

Darkhold
Feb 19, 2011

No Heart❤️
No Soul👻
No Service🙅
Well at least my memory was half right.

Darkhold
Feb 19, 2011

No Heart❤️
No Soul👻
No Service🙅
It was also demoralizing to lose three picks on a hard lock and end up with a wooden spoon or whatever for your trouble. The picks cost more than I looted :argh:

The unbreakable lockpick became my first priority on my second playthrough of that game.

Darkhold
Feb 19, 2011

No Heart❤️
No Soul👻
No Service🙅

rope kid posted:

Yeah, we still don't award XP for kills (though sometimes killing something may be connected to a quest).
No XP just for grinding mobs.

Darkhold
Feb 19, 2011

No Heart❤️
No Soul👻
No Service🙅
I'd be pretty shocked if anything more than scrub level loot was randomized. As most of the quests/monsters/loot opportunities are finite it'd make no sense at all for anything of real value to be a random drop.

Darkhold
Feb 19, 2011

No Heart❤️
No Soul👻
No Service🙅
Reading through the rogue update is really interesting. Seems like they're really thinking about how to make the class work as a real distinct combat class instead of a gimmick class.

It's really refreshing to read something as dry as some rule explanations and be thinking 'can't wait to try that...no wait I want to see how that works first...no hmmm I don't usually like that class but I like the sound of that' hopefully it will keep up with every class reveal.

Darkhold
Feb 19, 2011

No Heart❤️
No Soul👻
No Service🙅

GreatGreen posted:

Why nerds have the slightest interest in wanting to think their little computer character man/woman loves (aka has sex with) another little computer character woman/man I'll never know, especially considering it is basically impossible for romances in video games to be written with even the slightest bit of competence.
Why do we care anything about what our little computer people do? It's not exactly a mystery why people would extend that to romance options.

The problem comes in is how do you abstract that in a fun/non-creepy way into a game with player choice. It might be an insurmountable goal but I don't have a problem with game companies continuing to try. Of course I also don't have a problem if a company like Obsidian just doesn't want to mess with the whole thing.

Darkhold
Feb 19, 2011

No Heart❤️
No Soul👻
No Service🙅

Furism posted:

What do they bring, from a story-telling perspective?
What? Do you honestly don't believe that love, sex and romance doesn't have anything to add to a story?

quote:

More to the point, what does a romance between the player character and a fictional character brings that a romance between two fictional characters doesn't?
This sentence doesn't even make sense to me. You can swap out 'romance' for literally any other action the player character can have and come up with the same answer.

Friendship, hatred, rivalry, brotherhood, betrayal. If you want a 'story' in a game romance is just as natural as any of these other things that get praised when they are present.

Edit: I'll also enjoy explaining to my wife the next time she hooks up two of her sims that she's really she's just dreaming that her relationship with me and our child was just like the sims.

Darkhold fucked around with this message at 16:58 on Feb 11, 2014

Darkhold
Feb 19, 2011

No Heart❤️
No Soul👻
No Service🙅
Symphoric, right I agree romances in games now pretty much suck. Doesn't mean they always have to and should be tossed aside as a failed experiment as some people seem to be saying. Heck most movies still don't get romance right. Games are just lagging behind being a new medium.

Darkhold
Feb 19, 2011

No Heart❤️
No Soul👻
No Service🙅

Furism posted:

Wow, I didn't realize my reasonable and open question would hit somebody's nerves. Sorry about that.
Erm, ok. I don't know how you got that you were hitting my nerves or anything. I am honestly confused why anyone would even think that romance has no place in storytelling.

quote:

I guess I was just implying that it's probably easier to write both sides of a romance than one side and a half (the second half being written by the player in their mind). But I really don't want to get into an argument about something I'm really not that passionate about, unlike some people apparently.
Yes I can tell by you resting your case while quoting someone saying romances were nerd daydreams that you're a totally neutral and dispassionate observer of this debate. I'm totally ok with you thinking they suck or they are a waste of time but at least debate honestly instead of inserting weird little digs.

Darkhold
Feb 19, 2011

No Heart❤️
No Soul👻
No Service🙅

coffeetable posted:

Lifted from Sawyer's NewEgg interview.

The dragon thing looks kinda like a sloughed skin, which would be cool.
It's both hilarious and sad that while Feargus Urquhart is talking about how exciting it is to own your own IP the walls are covered in Alpha Protocol characters (which last I understood are still owned by SEGA).

Darkhold
Feb 19, 2011

No Heart❤️
No Soul👻
No Service🙅
Er I hope I'm just being trolled here but in case I'm not :thejoke: was he was in a room talking about IP rights while surrounded by an example of an awesome IP Obsidian made that is currently in the hands of a publisher that doesn't care to do anything with it.

vvv yes I understand that. Sheesh. It was a funny thing to have on the walls during that moment. I didn't think it was some kind of stealth statement Obsidian was making.

Darkhold fucked around with this message at 16:25 on Apr 22, 2014

Darkhold
Feb 19, 2011

No Heart❤️
No Soul👻
No Service🙅
A bit late but yay on a sensible rest mechanic. It sounds like a good compromise with Inn bonuses and resting in the wilderness to get yourself back up to fighting strength without making the character slog back to town or just letting them rest wherever.

It worked fairly well in M&M X which someone else pointed out though in that the inn bonuses didn't last long enough to make a difference where it sounds they've done a better job of that for PoE.

Darkhold
Feb 19, 2011

No Heart❤️
No Soul👻
No Service🙅
Most publishers want to continue proven IPs than develop a new untested one. So if PoE proves to be massively successful with an established studio behind it I can see a publisher taking the plunge.

I imagine the contract would be brutal though.

Darkhold
Feb 19, 2011

No Heart❤️
No Soul👻
No Service🙅

Oasx posted:

I must admit I don't quite understand a need to even limit resting, but then again I used save game editors in all the IE games, having a game be a challenge is clearly not a priority for me.
Just to address the limited resources part (not touching savescumming/editing argument) but many people like to view dungeons as a careful balance of resource management and attrition instead of a string of standalone fights. Trying to figure out when to use up a limited ability and running low by the time you get to the final level is part of the thrill for them.

Personally I've gone back and forth on the issue myself. I find myself hording too much if I feel the resources are too limited which in turn usually turns most boss battles into just burning through all the crap I've stored up and end up with a million low level health potions/etc in my backpack by the end, but I also see the appeal of not being able to get to 100% and abilities between each fight too to make it into more of a delving into the depths type of experience.

Darkhold
Feb 19, 2011

No Heart❤️
No Soul👻
No Service🙅
Book 5? At least that has a semi-decent battle at the end of it. Now book 10 Crossroads of Twilight aka 'Back at the Ranch' was a true exercise in nothing happens for 600+ pages because what we need after 9 books is to slow this series down a bit.

Darkhold
Feb 19, 2011

No Heart❤️
No Soul👻
No Service🙅
ropekid had mentioned Darklands quite a few times in reference to certain mechanics present in Eternity. I thought if anyone in this thread was interested in looking at it it's worth mentioning that GOG has a sale for it Here

Darkhold
Feb 19, 2011

No Heart❤️
No Soul👻
No Service🙅

StashAugustine posted:

Off the top of my head, enemies will occasionally disappear when reloading a save and there's a hitch in the level loading that can throw off your aim while moving.
Also if you started the game on certain difficulties the hacking mini game in the tutorial was nearly unbeatable.

BUT the big question is why this is considered 'very buggy'. Such bugs or worse exist in other Bethesda games with little concern shown yet Alpha Protocol was treated like it was barely playable when it was a few relatively minor hitches. That's the argument people are making.

Maybe it's because I've played through games like Fallout 2 that seemed to have a game breaking bug every 10 feet but most bugs I find now adays seem like minor annoyances and Obsidian isn't worse than any other game company currently producing.

Darkhold
Feb 19, 2011

No Heart❤️
No Soul👻
No Service🙅
Who cares? Some people don't care about spoilers at all. Some people have a total embargo on spoilers. Most people are somewhere in-between.

Why interrogate them over their harmless preference?

Darkhold
Feb 19, 2011

No Heart❤️
No Soul👻
No Service🙅
Err it's not the non-spoiler people that are complaining though? They just asked if the articles had them or not. It's the other posters that are going on and on about how early game spoilers don't count or something and asking them to justify their stance.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Darkhold
Feb 19, 2011

No Heart❤️
No Soul👻
No Service🙅
Why is anyone even arguing with this guy? He's not even really replying to any point that anyone is actually making and instead just kinda ranting against some imaginary power gamer arguments nobody is talking about.

It is a little funny how completely he's missing the point but sheesh.

• Locked thread