Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Demiurge4
Aug 10, 2011

coffeetable posted:

I'll never understand people who want licensed titles over fresh IP :psyduck:

Nostalgia. Morrowind was an excellent game and had great locales with (in my opinion) mediocre story. People hope Obsidian could replicate the game and make the story much better. Personally I'd love a cyberpunk sequel to Alpha Protocol.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Demiurge4
Aug 10, 2011

gently caress you all for putting the idea of a WoD Obsidian game into my head. gently caress. You. All.

It will never happen :smith:

Demiurge4
Aug 10, 2011

Furism posted:

Superman could definitively solve famine though. Just punch a bunch of people who prefer to spend money on war, golden yachts and play on the stock market until their priorities change. That wouldn't be very :patriot: though.

I get the point he's making, but it's a bad example.

I'm curious how point assignment will work and how many there are. We've got acrobatics as a skill check but what else does it do? I never like the third edition rules where you were always dumping points into stupid skills that were only ever checks.

Demiurge4
Aug 10, 2011

User0015 posted:

I'm hoping for the exact opposite.

Everyone likes different kinds of characters, and there's a lot of people who want a comedic companion just as much as you want a somber one. Fan favorites like Minsc, HK-47 or even Morte are favorites for a reason. Players like companions that are ridiculous in the case of Minsc, patronizing to the player (HK-47 paired with a Light sided player is amazing.), or just witty and charming.

I've played through BGI/II and I don't remember any of these characters outside of Minsc. As much as you think his character is poisonous, he's infinitely more memorable than those four put together. If Minsc, a completely tongue-in-cheek character, can take center stage, then how interesting are those characters to begin with?

Don't conflate 'serious' with 'interesting'. A character with a serious problem doesn't automatically make me more interested in their plight, if they lack any memorable personality or if they have no interaction with the players story. Teaching Morte dirty comebacks by pissing off prostitutes was more interesting to me then anything Vhailor had to say, ever.

The issue with Minsc is just that he's often the sixth PC for a lot of people. By the time you meet him you've picked up Imoen, Jaheira and Khalid and probably the red wizard guy as well. Now you have a full party and Minsc's rescue mission is a way for you to change out your evil red wizard for one that's both good and specializes in loving fireballs.

That's the party I played with the rest of the game, I resisted picking up anyone else at all because losing one of my least interesting characters (Khalid or Jaheira) meant they both left at the same time and I just couldn't be bothered having to replace both.

Demiurge4
Aug 10, 2011

redweird posted:

One thing I really liked in Witcher 2 is when Geralt and his mates all go to the pub. It made me realise that these dudes had a history that I didn't know about, and that Geralt was an actual character, not just an avatar. Also the story was rad.

Listening to his Dwarf buddy go on about his almost father-in-law was great. Seriously everything about the series is gold, when you send Dandelion into the hole Geralt just goes "the loving idiot actually went in?" :allears:

Demiurge4
Aug 10, 2011

Furism posted:

I usually use the term "low magic" for Middle Earth and "high magic" for D&D. I think Tolkien was very attached to keeping magic low profile in Lord of the Rings, which is why you don't see spell effects in the movies.

Yeah the most overt spell Gandalf uses is dispelling an illusion and the shield spell in the Hobbit 2. They made magic a lot more impressive in the Hobbit movies for whichever reason.

Demiurge4
Aug 10, 2011

Will ironman mode have friendly fire? Will we be able to turn it on and off on any difficulties or is it always on in high difficulty?

Demiurge4
Aug 10, 2011

Mordaedil posted:

I used to be rather dismayed with D&D's progression this way. Finding a +1 or +2 sword just seemed like a tiny increment and it took until several years later for me to realize every +1 was essentially a 5% increment, which would be a rather huge deal when it comes to something like a +5 weapon.

It falls apart with hit points however, since it still adds one or two points to the amount of damage dealt and eventually your going to outscore the damage your actual weapon deals. When you have such high ability scores that you can get 10 points from strength, 4 from feats, 5 and more from magical enchantments in weapon and more bonuses from magical sources, that piddly 1-8 damage a longsword deals as its standard seem so insignificant it kinda becomes a question of "why did I bother with this weapon over any other?"

Damage types become more important, and there are some weapons that can hit several types at once(at your option in some cases), so you suddenly start to go for these and then it just gets really weird and stupid.

So, I hope we do keep some of that, but obviously I hope choice of weapon becomes scaling rather than something that ends up making no difference.

The + weapon score wasn't really there for the damage bonus, but to determine what they could damage. Demons require at least +2 or +3 (I forget which) and a lot of lesser golems are immune to normal weapons and need +1 weapons that signify they are magic in some way.

Demiurge4
Aug 10, 2011

rope kid posted:

I've been playing A/D&D for 28 years, 2nd Ed. for 11 of those, and this is the first time I've seen someone describe 2nd Ed. as flexible.

poo poo, I just realised you've been playing DnD for as long as I've been alive. And I think you've worked on most of the DnD games I have played as well... I'm gonna go wash behind my ears now.

Demiurge4
Aug 10, 2011

I'd like it if an evil path was something like lawful evil. Say you're on a quest to take down this big crime ring, instead of brutally killing everyone involved you brutally kill the leader and menace his underlings into working for you. You now have a crime organization and you can expand it, specialize it or just let it create a passive income for you.

Basically it's about power, influence and enriching yourself. Not kickin puppies.

Demiurge4
Aug 10, 2011

Going by the mood of the thread I must be the only person who thinks this, but I thought that the Anomen romance (for a female Bhael Spawn) was very well done. It could be because Anomen's character arc was already written and the romance just ties into that though. Now I know Anomen is almost universally hated but I never said my position was popular :v:

Demiurge4
Aug 10, 2011

Kurtofan posted:

Do you have examples of this in DA2?

I can only remember this happening in DA1. There's Alistair killing the bad guy if he's the one duelling him and the bow rogue lady will flip her poo poo if you destroy the ashes of the saint. I think you can get out of the second one if you have enough relations though.

Demiurge4
Aug 10, 2011

I just hope damage types have some real importance in the game apart from "can damage X type monster" like it was with golems in Baldurs Gate. Blunt being horribly efficient against skeletons, ogres and trolls being able to shrug off most sword blows but a spear to the gut will gently caress them up. A system of debuffs could be good as well, a critical hit with a mace could stun or slow an opponent, a good spear thrust apply bleeding and so on.

Demiurge4
Aug 10, 2011

VanSandman posted:

One of the things I've rarely seen that bugs me about party-based RPGS like this is making the role of party tank feel heroic in combat. Sure they do a vital role that lets other party members get their kill on, but any sort of visual or audio feedback to the player that the tank is enduring some serious poo poo would be amazing. Maybe a short voice clip could play when they survive an opponents' critical hit - 'That the best you've got?' 'None shall pass!' 'Try harder next time!' - or some short-lived glow around the character model when they successfully negate enemy damage would do the trick. Are there any plans for this sort of thing right now?

Combat animations that always fire would be amazing. When a fighter is engaged with 3 enemies at the model will usually just stand there and dish out a hit and take them but you will always have the block mechanic for each incoming attack. Something I'd like to see is if engaged 1v1 the characters "lock in" as such and perform animations that clearly show each block, hit and dodge. We have stuff like that already in many games but it would be grand if this was put into the larger engagements too. A fighter who's keeping 3 enemies locked up will have to be extremely fast to not fall down immediately or have a bigass shield. If all the characters animate properly in this fashion and try to find weak spots in the fighters defence it will feel heroic and awesome. It could also be expanded to make party combat more strategic, you want to distract one of those 3 enemies engaging your fighter and you do that by locking in your other characters to each of them, an enemy will have a hard time finding your fighters weak spot if he's having to block arrows or has a rogue at his back trying to stab his kidney.

Demiurge4
Aug 10, 2011

An Obsidian and Paradox merger would make my pants so wet. The money and resources to create niche games for their fans and gently caress committees :allears:

Plus Sweden is rocking cool you guys, free healthcare!

Demiurge4
Aug 10, 2011

rope kid posted:

Yeah Paradox isn't funding or directing our development in any way. They're handling things that would be very hard/time consuming for us: physical fulfillment and general distribution. Over half of our backers are in Europe. I'm not sure why anyone would want us to spend their money and our time personally handling fulfillment. It was heartwarming to see Stoic figuring out how to get thousands of Banner Saga posters out of their house and shipped out to people but that's not really what developers are built to do.

I'm curious to know why you'd even bother to go physical. A purely digital distribution would be a very simple thing to do and being on Steam guarantee's you decent sales, is there really enough of a market for physical copies left to make this attractive?

Demiurge4
Aug 10, 2011

I hope there's a decent amount of just really well crafted gear with suffixes like fine or masterwork. I hope the really epic gear is suitably rare so I'm not finding flaming swords in every other chest.

Demiurge4
Aug 10, 2011

rope kid posted:

Celestial bodies and calendars go hand-in-hand and just seem like sort of basic world-building stuff to me.

Magic always makes this kind of world building confusing to me. So often a world is in the eye of a giant, on the back of a turtle or a straight up dimensional pocket world of some sort. Did you line up a whole star system with other planets being given names and associated with gods, or did you just stick to the two moons and the sun?

Demiurge4
Aug 10, 2011

rope kid posted:

Convince Feargus that people will buy/play it and I'll make it. I've been wanting to make a Darklands/Ars Magica style game for a long, long time.

Do it in the Fading Suns universe and I'll sell my house and go live in a box to help pay for it.

Demiurge4
Aug 10, 2011

Hieronymous Alloy posted:

Yeah, that's a lot of it. I remember the contrast between the two Dragon Age games really markedly. Origins had really fun tactical gameplay throughout so that every battle was an interesting challenge and it kept me playing the whole way through, coupled with pretty good writing that kept me interested. The second one, the plot had me for the first half, refugee, poverty, new life in a new city -- then I got a pimpin' house and personal wealth. Problem solved! At that point, as far as I was concerned, the game was finished. Never picked it up again.

Dragon Age 2 suffered from a multitude of problems, which is a shame because it had some genuinely interesting characters and the city was rather well done. One of my main beefs with Bioware games has always been the way they do DLC. I remember getting the pre-order bonus and thinking the magic shop in the city was weirdly disjointed from the main game, it was basically a tacked on map icon full of overpowered gear and it was never referenced anywhere.

I didn't stop playing it myself when I got past the first story point but it did mark the point where it became a chore, at this point the game would not introduce any new environments and combat would spawn ever more enemies. I did like the aesthetics of the combat though, it was flashy and cool and I didn't at all mind the more cinematic style.

Demiurge4
Aug 10, 2011

Conquistador was really interesting but I thought the tutorial island was really long, so when I got to the mainland I was totally burned out on the game. I'll try and get back into it, kinda bummed I had the nice lady get traumatized to hell though :(

Demiurge4
Aug 10, 2011

Jastiger posted:

Serious question. Can any creature of any size be gibbed, i.e. crit hitting a dragon and gibbing it? A pre order hangs in the balance to this question.

Personally I hope a crit kill just has a cool effect on most enemy types. Humanoids get gibbed, larger ones like ogres get decapitated and so do dragons. Hell if there'a any worm like creatures I'd like for them to just get "gibbed" into two sections sliced in the middle.

Demiurge4
Aug 10, 2011

If you go with feats why not remove dialogue dice rolls entirely and have various grades of a skill. So you could have different lore skills for different fields, such as arcane(expert), history(trained) and a number of other skills that carry into that. That will get rid of a bunch of messy Lore:5 in the dialogue window.

This lets you go all Fallout with dialogue with noncombat feats like playboy or lady killer. Add some that tie to reputation like Scourge of Hillside that opens a special intimidate choice in the area.

Demiurge4
Aug 10, 2011

Crafting is one of my biggest gripes with the new Dragon Age game and I hope PoE's system will be enjoyable. What I really loathe is the collection of useless items like iron or generically named herbs that have no real use, I don't want to be lugging around 80 elfroot or whatever. What I would like to see is a system where you can create most basic armors and weapons from supply points like mines and NPC's like hunters and herbalists with just a gold cost tied to it. For more advanced or special crafts you can include a few rare materials found off monsters or deep caves but crucially the regular crafted stuff should be at least useful in some way.

Edit: Imagine it like this. You start off with a few hunters in your Stronghold that supply low quality leather that you can use to craft a bit of lovely armor. Later on people move in and you get a tanner and now you have higher quality leather, maybe a farmer with cows moves in and now you have a steady supply of good leather so your hunter now moves on to hunting rare and dangerous beasts with very good hides, that's three tiers of leather right there.

Abstract this with mines as well and you've got a local iron mine for most things, get a blacksmith who can make steel with it and that's two tiers. If you want you can tie a third tier like mithril or whatever with a dwarven trade route. Just get rid of collection please :(

Demiurge4 fucked around with this message at 18:52 on Nov 25, 2014

Demiurge4
Aug 10, 2011

One issue about having "epic" or unique loot from boss fights and story events that have randomized drop tables is that quite often you can't use it. If you're a warrior you can't get good use out of those three legendary staffs you found, so why not instead have bosses and whatnot just give you a magical gem or whatever that you can use to craft whichever artifact you need at this time? Put that gem in the pommel of a sword, the tip of a staff or as an ornament in a chest plate. Give the player some customization choices when it comes to his upgrades.

That said I did enjoy finding really cool items with back stories in Baldurs Gate 2, Carsomyr: The Holy Avenger was a badass loving sword and I loved it. So I'm probably completely loving wrong about the crafting system but then again if you go with the BG method of loot why have crafting at all?

Demiurge4
Aug 10, 2011

Autonomous Monster posted:

Has there ever been a good crafting system in an RPG? I mean, has anyone got an example they can point to and say, "like this"? It seems like every implementation ends up being underpowered or overpowered or reliant on tedious grinding in other parts of the game- and even if they get past that, designers seem to that've a hell of a time making it interesting.

I thought that Vanguard: Saga of Heroes ha a great craftin system, but I was sucker for tedious busywork like that when I was younger. Let me clarify though, I liked the act of crafting, the resource gathering and money sink junk was still there and oh god getting more skill was a horrible grind. But once you sat down to make something I enjoyed it.

Demiurge4
Aug 10, 2011

Darklands is a great game. I referenced it a lot when I was talking with the That Which Sleeps about themes and atmosphere, I think I used the scene backgrounds especially as something that really gives events meaning. That game is going places btw, the art is really shaping up and they posted this map of one of their scenarios the other day.

(Not an ingame map, goes in the art book).

I'm really looking forward to Eternity's release, I'll have a lot of free time next year to play it and I'm really enjoying the beta discussions in this thread :)

Demiurge4
Aug 10, 2011

enraged_camel posted:

To each his own I guess. I like it when there are tons of non-main quest areas because they reinforce an open world feel.

I like it too but there's a point where it just becomes filler without anything interesting about it. The Hinterlands starts out well and it's a big zone but it's the MMO zone and it's entirely terrible. The other zones that are smaller and more contained are much better, I especially liked the marsh with the undead because it was short and sweet. But single player RPG's really need to do away with busywork like "collect 100 skullshard gems across 6 maps".

Demiurge4
Aug 10, 2011

rope kid posted:

I don't remember having anything like this, to be honest.

Fallout 2 had an easter egg with skynet didn't it?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Demiurge4
Aug 10, 2011

I never used Jan. I'll have to make a point of taking him next time I play, probably replace Aerie. I'm thinking of doing a vastly different party than I've traditionally played with and go with Anomen, Haer'Dalis, Jan, Mazzy, Nalia and a rogue type PC.

Not sure what I'd do in Throne of Bhaal though, I've always taken Sarevok and not playing with him would seem off.

• Locked thread