Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
rope kid
Feb 3, 2001

Warte nur! Balde
Ruhest du auch.

Disco Infiva posted:

How about some sidequests that can be taken only by a priest/paladin of a certain god/order?
Not for this project, no. We have 11 classes and several orders/deities just for paladins/priests. Making class-specific content really narrows the available material for someone to play through.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

rope kid
Feb 3, 2001

Warte nur! Balde
Ruhest du auch.

Captain Oblivious posted:

Will there be class specific dialogue options?
A few, but they are one of the least commonly-used qualifiers. Attributes, skills, and races are more common.

rope kid
Feb 3, 2001

Warte nur! Balde
Ruhest du auch.

Sensuki posted:

I have a question regarding Scripted Interactions. Is the PC always the character who "interacts" with the world through Scripted Interactions, or does it work for whichever character you have selected ? Also for group actions such as "Climb a cliff", "Swim through an underground tunnel" and "Jump over a Bridge", does the one character's check count as a pass for the whole party, or is each individual character's attribute or skill checked individually?
It depends on the interaction. Sometimes it's a single character, other times it's the group and individual members of the party can become injured by being below the threshold. "Injury" in this case means a penalty that lasts until the next time you rest: twisted ankle, swollen eye, etc. Similar to the Dragon Age injuries but less... long-term-sounding.

rope kid
Feb 3, 2001

Warte nur! Balde
Ruhest du auch.

Sensuki posted:

The PE narrative team came onto the project "later than expected" according to Brandon Adler in an Obsidian forum post. Kind of an odd statement considering they've had Chris and Josh for the duration and Eric moved to PE full time during the VS. Might be referring to taking a while to fill their extra writing spot.
I think it's a bad idea to define the critical path/spine of the story without the creative lead being on the project. On F:NV I defined a few things: you have to start by being shot in the head and dropped in a grave outside of Vegas (that was actually Avellone's idea in the original pitch, so we stuck with it), you have to finish the game at a battle for Hoover Dam between NCR and Caesar's Legion, the early crit path needs to be primarily information-oriented (i.e., trying to find something step-by-step) so you could skip elements of it, and interacting with factions in the late game needed to involve you speaking to them and understanding/resolving (one way or another) their problems. Everything else was defined by John Gonzalez with help from the rest of the team. I have too much system design and director work to do to drive the crit path. At most I have time for a couple of companions and side-characters.

rope kid
Feb 3, 2001

Warte nur! Balde
Ruhest du auch.

Sensuki posted:

rope kid, did you end up sorting out the Penetration system that's connected to the Perception attribute?
Penetration isn't connected to Perception anymore. Perception now affects Interrupt (also based on the type of attack), which is compared to the target's Concentration, which is derived from Resolve. Slower attacks tend to have higher base Interrupt. Faster attacks and AoEs tend to have lower base Interrupt. There are exceptions. Firearms have relatively low base Interrupt (and high damage). Thrust of Tattered Veils has a high base Interrupt (but does very little damage).

Furism posted:

I was thinking about the Dire Blessing and Circle of Profession spells that we saw during last update. Do words uttered by the Priest matter? Or they mean something in some tongue, are they made up because they sound cool, would the Priest say different words depending on his deity? Also, more concretely, how are those recorded?
Those are purely placeholder for now.

Clever Spambot posted:

Have they said anything about enemies in this game having visual windups to powerful attacks (such as the long spellcasting time in infinity engine games) to allow you to get out of the way or interrupt them with short stun attacks?

Also any idea if we will be able to while engaged with an enemy sort of re-align yourself to a more ideal position without provoking an attack of opportunity or does any sort of movement provoke?
Some attacks have windups, but it's rare (usually long spells).

You can move around a target without provoking Disenagagement. Unlike 3E AoEs, it's purely based on distance from the engaging enemy.

rope kid
Feb 3, 2001

Warte nur! Balde
Ruhest du auch.

Druid/priest spellcasting animations are shared. They have a directional ("throwing" the spell) and reflexive (around themselves) anim. Wizards also have two anims for directional and reflexive, but they always have their grimoire in hand. Ciphers put their hand (or both hands) up near their head and then push toward their target. Chanters lean back and then thrust their heads forward for their invocations (only one anim).

rope kid
Feb 3, 2001

Warte nur! Balde
Ruhest du auch.

frajaq posted:

Will your game have a Dumb Babby mode
For Interrupt/Concentration all you really need to know is that a higher Perception makes an attacker more likely to interrupt the target and a higher Resolve makes it more likely that a defender will resist an interruption. Otherwise, attacks will be labeled with relative values of Interrupt. Higher = more chance of interrupting.

rope kid
Feb 3, 2001

Warte nur! Balde
Ruhest du auch.

Daggers and rapiers are both fast (20 frame) attacking weapons and they have lower Interrupt ratings. However, because they are attacking faster, they cause Interrupt checks more often.

rope kid
Feb 3, 2001

Warte nur! Balde
Ruhest du auch.

If you dump Dex/Per on any character, you will have a very low Reflex defense as that defense is primarily defined by Dex and Per.

Also, no spells auto-hit. Everything requires an Accuracy vs. defense roll and Dex is always part of Accuracy.

rope kid
Feb 3, 2001

Warte nur! Balde
Ruhest du auch.

It is more important for us that characters find any build useful/viable in different ways than it is for characters to be severely punished for dumping. E.g., if a high Perception build is a viable/cool build for priests who emphasize offensive spells, that is more important to us than whether or not a low Perception priest has a really harsh sting.

rope kid
Feb 3, 2001

Warte nur! Balde
Ruhest du auch.

Sensuki posted:

Hopefully Priests have an equivalent of Magic Stone, Spiritual Hammer etc
Priests have at least one damage-inflicting spell available at every level. Priests also do not have to prep spells but, like druids, have all spells of a given level available all the time (assuming they still have casts/rest for that level).

rope kid
Feb 3, 2001

Warte nur! Balde
Ruhest du auch.

Inspector Gesicht posted:

I'm guessing since Eternity uses(What looks to be)Defence Threshold from New Vegas, we probably won't be running into Golems that are only vulnerable to +3 weapons.
Correct, though some creatures do have extraordinarily high DT.

rope kid
Feb 3, 2001

Warte nur! Balde
Ruhest du auch.

Plate is least resistant to Shock damage, but if you're going to use melee weapons, estocs, stilettos, and maces all have DT negation and are usually your best bet on occasions where the target's DT is uniform against the physical damage types (Slash/Crush/Pierce). In both models (original and current), two-handed weapons are best when DT is really high. If DT is really high and the DT has no physical vulnerabilities (like plate armor), estocs are the most efficient.

rope kid
Feb 3, 2001

Warte nur! Balde
Ruhest du auch.

prometheus12345 posted:

What damage type is a dagger, pierce or slash?
Daggers are Slash and have an inherent Accuracy bonus. Stilettos are Pierce and negate a portion of DT.

rope kid
Feb 3, 2001

Warte nur! Balde
Ruhest du auch.

Sensuki posted:

I wonder if a Mace is still better than a Sword vs Plate if you're going Sword and Board.
Generally yes due to the mace's DT negation. Swords and maces do the same damage and attack at the same speed. The benefit of a sword is "Best of Slash/Pierce" where they do damage against the type that the armor is weakest against. If both Slash and Pierce DT on the target are equal (and equal to the base DT), the sword doesn't really have a benefit. In those circumstances, a mace will almost always be better.

E: In case anyone was wondering, maces are extremely good against anyone in mail. Crush is mail's worst damage type and maces negate DT on top of that. With a mace against standard mail the target has close to 0 DT.

rope kid fucked around with this message at 16:23 on May 28, 2014

rope kid
Feb 3, 2001

Warte nur! Balde
Ruhest du auch.

SurrealityCheck posted:

How do polearms function? Like axes/stabbing weapons with longer reach?
Pikes have long reach which is really great. Pollaxes do best of Slash/Crush.

rope kid
Feb 3, 2001

Warte nur! Balde
Ruhest du auch.

prometheus12345 posted:

I think First Fires is the government district and it could be called first fires because there the revolution began.
Yes.

rope kid
Feb 3, 2001

Warte nur! Balde
Ruhest du auch.

GetWellGamers posted:

Ropekid, now that you're back from vacation can we get an answer on the "Closed doors" thing at E3? Will it be a "Press only" closed doors, or more like "Small groups taken from those waiting in line" closed doors?
It's scheduled press.

rope kid
Feb 3, 2001

Warte nur! Balde
Ruhest du auch.

There will be an update tomorrow morning.

rope kid
Feb 3, 2001

Warte nur! Balde
Ruhest du auch.

Sod roofs are cool.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VQaVbbJUM9A

rope kid
Feb 3, 2001

Warte nur! Balde
Ruhest du auch.

Mymla posted:

The armor in this game looks pretty great so far. Will we actually be able to see it up close ingame, though?
You'll see it in the inventory on the "paper doll" (actually just a copy of your character model).

rope kid
Feb 3, 2001

Warte nur! Balde
Ruhest du auch.

No zoom on the paper doll. The texture resolutions are not super high.

rope kid
Feb 3, 2001

Warte nur! Balde
Ruhest du auch.

They're usually multi-stage interactions.

And yeah we ran it on a Win 8 tablet a long while ago but haven't tried anything like that since. The default UI/button mappings are all one button-friendly but can be remapped in options.

rope kid
Feb 3, 2001

Warte nur! Balde
Ruhest du auch.

Wolfsheim posted:

I like the differentiation between knight and peasant weapon proficiency on fighters. Gonna stab some rear end in a top hat nobles to death with a long, sharpened stick :c00l:
As a reminder, weapons are balanced relative to each other, so weapons like hatchets and quarterstaves are actually good in the right hands. A fighter can excel with "peasant" weapons just fine.

rope kid
Feb 3, 2001

Warte nur! Balde
Ruhest du auch.

Sensuki posted:

What distinguishes axes and quarterstaves from the others mechanically (other than damage type)? On the wiki Hatchets, Battle axes and Quarterstaves are 3 of 5 weapons that we don't know the "feature" of yet (others are Greatsword and Rapier).
Like pikes, quarterstaves can attack from a greater distance. Hatchets grant a small amount of bonus Deflection, and battle axes do more damage on a Crit.

rope kid
Feb 3, 2001

Warte nur! Balde
Ruhest du auch.

Sea Otter posted:

How far are the players allowed to upgrade weapons through the crafting system? Can the players keep something like Applebane upgrade till the end or the upgradable range won't be that dynamic? If the answer is "yes" for the former, then, what would be the cost (penalty) for such dynamic upgrading?
Upgrading costs ingredients and, more importantly, money. You can keep upgrading an individual item. It will just cost a bunch of money and eventually you will hit the enchantment cap.

rope kid
Feb 3, 2001

Warte nur! Balde
Ruhest du auch.

prometheus12345 posted:

Does the the deflection bonus of a hatchet stack with shields or a second hatchet?
Yes, though two hatchets do not have the Deflection bonus of even a small shield. The cost of carrying a shield is an overall reduced attack rate, so weapon type bonuses tend to be minor.

rope kid
Feb 3, 2001

Warte nur! Balde
Ruhest du auch.

a slim pixie posted:

Some of the information in the manual was inaccurate as it pertained to Baldur's Gate. For a couple of examples, wisdom doesn't affect magic defense, nor does intelligence cap the maximum spell level you can learn.
Truthfully, an enormous amount of information in the original manual was inaccurate. E.g. none (or very close to none) of the racial abilities listed in the BG were implemented.

rope kid
Feb 3, 2001

Warte nur! Balde
Ruhest du auch.

I made sure they were all implemented in IWD and IWD2. I don't think speed factor ever mattered, no.

rope kid
Feb 3, 2001

Warte nur! Balde
Ruhest du auch.

Sensuki posted:

You definitely seem slower to attack with a Two Handed Sword or a Halberd even given the same proficiency and number of attacks, but that may be placebo.
They played different attack animations and those animations may have had a different frame count, but I'm pretty sure the 2nd Ed. "speed factor" value for weapons was not used by the game.

rope kid
Feb 3, 2001

Warte nur! Balde
Ruhest du auch.

While Pool of Radiance didn't have a plot that focused on the importance of the protagonist/party, I think it did a very good job of creating a large conspiracy/mystery with political intrigue. The developers also did a good job of tying lots of elements together between areas so Phlan and its surroundings felt like a cohesive setting.

rope kid
Feb 3, 2001

Warte nur! Balde
Ruhest du auch.

Pickpocketing isn't a skill, but is something that rarely comes up in dialogues via Dexterity checks. It just didn't have enough uses/compelling gameplay in the IE games to warrant an entire skill.

Mechanics does encompass both picking locks and handling/disarming traps.

rope kid
Feb 3, 2001

Warte nur! Balde
Ruhest du auch.

You can switch between weapon sets in combat, but weapons have to be in sets when combat starts. You can't move items around while in a combat state.

rope kid
Feb 3, 2001

Warte nur! Balde
Ruhest du auch.

Mac Con posted:

So my dream of playing a mage hunting monk who unloads a brace of pistols then proceeds to beat the poo poo out of them bare handed can be realized?

Actually, can you go guns akimbo with pistols? Might be an interesting trade off between accuracy and having another shot before having to reload. Mostly just want a pirate monk, though.
You can only wield one ranged weapon of any kind at a time. You could alternate between a pistol and bare (monk) fists, though.

rope kid
Feb 3, 2001

Warte nur! Balde
Ruhest du auch.

verybad posted:

Maybe I understood ropekid wrong, but I thought he meant that you can only ever have one ranged weapon in your set of weapons.
No. One ranged weapon in a weapon "set".

SoggyBobcat posted:

e: can you have more than two weapon sets?
Currently a Talent can increase your number of weapon sets.

rope kid
Feb 3, 2001

Warte nur! Balde
Ruhest du auch.

Yes, and xaurips are xvart/kobold/goblin folk.

rope kid
Feb 3, 2001

Warte nur! Balde
Ruhest du auch.

evilmiera posted:

It sounds more like "The Hand Occult" Bit hard to make out though with how fast he speaks.
Yeah, it's The Hand Occult.

rope kid
Feb 3, 2001

Warte nur! Balde
Ruhest du auch.

Many of the decisions on PoE are driven by nostalgia, including but not limited to the game being class-based, having six attributes, a six character party, and RTwP combat.

Scorchy posted:

Hope Matt Rorie sits in on this.
He did.

rope kid
Feb 3, 2001

Warte nur! Balde
Ruhest du auch.

Airfoil posted:

I believe Giantbomb and Gamespot are literally in the same office.

Nice to see the PoE press tour ramping up. Is Ropekid going to be at Gamescom?
Natürlich.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

rope kid
Feb 3, 2001

Warte nur! Balde
Ruhest du auch.

I think 4-5 characters is much more manageable for RTwP. If we're just speaking about "Hey what kind of game would you make?" I'd develop something turn-based.

E: Even if it were some sort of Darklands spiritual successor, I'd still go with turn-based.

• Locked thread