Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
rope kid
Feb 3, 2001

Warte nur! Balde
Ruhest du auch.

I prefer skill-based/classless systems by a wide margin.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

rope kid
Feb 3, 2001

Warte nur! Balde
Ruhest du auch.

Munin posted:

Why turn based combat btw? That switch would shape an awful lot of the gameplay and encounter design. What would be the top things you'd consider and think would be important to pull off a good RPG using turn based combat?

I love it in strategy RPGs (I love SRPGs full stop) but when used in more standard RPGs turn-based tends to turn into a bit of a slog. The larger map sizes and more frequent encounters these games tend to have mean that you end up in frequent slower fights and in many games a slow hunt for the last few fleeing enemies in turn based mode.

I should actually grab Divinity:OS at some point to see how they implemented their turn-based combat. I have to say though that past experiences from everything like Exile to Fallout to Shadowrun Returns have made me leery of turn-based combat in RPGs especially after having played more SRPGs where the tighter parameters around the scope of the encounters makes for a much better experience.
I mentioned turn-based combat outside of the context of IE-style games. Turn-based combat in a Darklands-style game, where exploration only occurs on relatively constrained maps with small numbers of combatants, would not suffer the same problems. I do not think it is a stretch to say that if you took all of the core content of Darklands and instituted a good turn-based combat system, it would be fine (arguably much better if the character system supported it). The maps are never particularly large and in 90% of the fights, there are less than a dozen combatants including the party. A good turn-based combat system needs to give players significant choices to make on each turn, often weighing individual tactical considerations against longer-term strategic considerations. Movement and positioning should have tactical importance. I prefer small hex-based spaces or raw distance for movement and targeting over square-based. I think it's also important to think about phase/character order, how NPCs play into that, and how those interrelationships affect the overall pace and length of combat.

That said, I think a weakness of many combat systems is that they often don't give the player much to work with in terms of character development and interesting turn-to-turn choices. Fallout had different firing modes including targeted shots, but combat generally devolved into eye/groin shots on every turn. Combat was enjoyable and character building strategies could be interesting, but the tactical combat became rote fairly quickly. Darklands gave martial characters standard/berserk/parry/vulnerable attacking modes, but you had those from the beginning of the game and the characters generally did not evolve much beyond that. Even though the Gold Box games used the 1st Ed. AD&D rules, they were a lot more tactical. Melee characters weren't particularly complex, but positioning them was extremely important in those games. Especially in Pool of Radiance, Curse of the Azure Bonds, and the early Dragonlance games, spellcasters changed a lot every two levels and their strategic resources were very valuable. Games that tightly focus turn-based combat and give the player a set of interesting tactical/strategic challenges and options can be great.

rope kid
Feb 3, 2001

Warte nur! Balde
Ruhest du auch.

Fintilgin posted:

One thing that would be cool in a fantasy XCOM would be to get rid of scientists and engineers and have your soldiers/heroes fill those slots. So you'd have to make choices like risking your best research wizard on the field because the stats that make him a good researcher also make him naturally good in combat.

You could summon units in the lab and send them out with your team, etc etc.

Fantasy XCOM could be really cool. :3:
+

Only registered members can see post attachments!

rope kid
Feb 3, 2001

Warte nur! Balde
Ruhest du auch.

Yeah I've played FFT, Front Mission 4, Silent Storm, XCOM, Temple of Elemental Evil, and of course all of the Gold Box games.

E: Oh, and JA2.

rope kid fucked around with this message at 19:24 on Jul 23, 2014

rope kid
Feb 3, 2001

Warte nur! Balde
Ruhest du auch.

Hank Morgan posted:

How do you feel about action points (Fallout/Divinity Original Sin) vs the two actions per turn system used in the new X-Com?
Action points offer nice granularity to different actions. I don't like D&D/XCOM style move + act or act + move systems as much. I also think there are cool things you can do with different phases like move/charge/act (e.g. Necromunda).

rope kid
Feb 3, 2001

Warte nur! Balde
Ruhest du auch.

Sensuki posted:

Did you end up getting a chance to play Expeditions: Conquistador ?
Not yet, unfortunately.

rope kid
Feb 3, 2001

Warte nur! Balde
Ruhest du auch.

Back in ~2004 I ran a Fallout tabletop game that used a move/charge/act phased system. People rolled initiative and moved in reverse order. In the charge phase (standard order), people could opt to rush in melee range (only), which was extraordinarily dangerous if you didn't take out a close enemy with a firearm. Then everyone who hadn't charged acted in standard order. It produced some cool and crazy combat scenarios.

rope kid
Feb 3, 2001

Warte nur! Balde
Ruhest du auch.

User0015 posted:

There is something very wrong with the industry given how true this statement is.

Also, is it possible at this stage of development to increase our pledge for additional rewards, or is it set in stone?
I believe it is.

rope kid
Feb 3, 2001

Warte nur! Balde
Ruhest du auch.

We may increase the number of attribute points you can spend in CC.

rope kid
Feb 3, 2001

Warte nur! Balde
Ruhest du auch.

Hakkesshu posted:

I think it looks excellent in every way... EXCEPT for the fog of war. I really don't like the way it looks. The sight radius is way too small, and it just obscures the art. I actually get kind of antsy just watching it; it's almost uncomfortably claustrophobic. I hope there's a clairvoyancy equivalent or something, because I really want to get rid of all that black space. I feel like I should at least be able to get a clear full screen image without any FoW.

Edit: That was kind of a kneejerk reaction. I think it looks perfectly fine inside the dungeon, but when you're outside there's just something off about it. I can't really place it right now.
There are two radii for fog of war. The "dimming" gradient happens from the inner to the outer and right now I think the inner is too small.

rope kid
Feb 3, 2001

Warte nur! Balde
Ruhest du auch.

Eddain posted:

Also I didn't see this during the demo, but do you not pick your skills during character creation? The stuff like Lore, Resolve, Athletics, etc?
No. First level characters have their inherent class bonuses to skills. You allocate additional skill points when you hit 2nd level.

rope kid
Feb 3, 2001

Warte nur! Balde
Ruhest du auch.

Scorchy posted:

Dexterity improves accuracy with all attacks, including spells? Perception increases chances of interrupt, and I admit I have trouble seeing why I would prioritize that when the other 5 stats seem so much better.
The amount by which a point of Dexterity increases Accuracy is less than the amount by which a point of Perception increases Interrupt. Interrupts are pretty valuable.

rope kid
Feb 3, 2001

Warte nur! Balde
Ruhest du auch.

El Pollo Blanco posted:

Personally, I hope ropekid has invented hundreds of slang words for each of the language/ethnic groups in PoE, you n'wah.

edit: vvvv, chances of this happening: 99.9%
We have a decent number of Vailian slang words.

bazzo - (m) dick (a person, in the pejorative sense)
madiccho - (m) curse ("spoken evil," also used as expression "drat!")
postenago - (m) idiot (literally "carrot")
scioderie - (f) nonsense (a "stupid thing")

rope kid
Feb 3, 2001

Warte nur! Balde
Ruhest du auch.

Keep in mind that all battles shown in the demo feature 2-3 party members vs. 1-3 enemies. You eventually have up to 6 party members and many more enemies, so the pace picks up quite a bit.

rope kid
Feb 3, 2001

Warte nur! Balde
Ruhest du auch.

We don't have final specs but min res is 1280x720 and I'd really like it to be able to run well on 5+ year old machines. Memory is probably the biggest issue right now, but we're working on it and will continue to do so up until we launch.

rope kid
Feb 3, 2001

Warte nur! Balde
Ruhest du auch.

BTW the guy in the lower left is OEI's own Matt MacLean.

rope kid
Feb 3, 2001

Warte nur! Balde
Ruhest du auch.

Fair Bear Maiden posted:

Is his beard still as grotesquely long as it was in the South Park development diaries back when it was announced?
Pretty close.

rope kid
Feb 3, 2001

Warte nur! Balde
Ruhest du auch.

MegaGatts posted:

Ropekid, in the next update can you show off the highlight button for interaction with objects? it's weird seeing a game like this without all the interactable objects being highlighted every two or three seconds to make sure you didn't miss anything.
It's Tab by default and currently the outline effect looks pretty much like it did in the IE games.

rope kid
Feb 3, 2001

Warte nur! Balde
Ruhest du auch.

xthetenth posted:

I'm just worried that some builds won't benefit from a Big Head (unless it means Big Hat mode)
Hats and helms all scale up in Big Head Mode (including frog helms).

rope kid
Feb 3, 2001

Warte nur! Balde
Ruhest du auch.

Scorchy posted:

I would have been fine with Darklands-style thin bars on either side of the portrait or something.
That was what we had initially and people at OEI hated it. Many of the people who complained never noticed when their character was about to drop.

rope kid
Feb 3, 2001

Warte nur! Balde
Ruhest du auch.

Tim, Matt MacLean, and I all have varying (strong) levels of color-blindness. Tim's is degenerative and is approaching monochromacy. Color as a sole means of distinguishing doesn't work well. With Health/Stamina, it's not much of an issue because one is on the portrait and the other is next to it.

rope kid
Feb 3, 2001

Warte nur! Balde
Ruhest du auch.

IDK why the arrow speeds are still so slow in the game. I doubled them a while back but maybe my changes got reverted. In any case, they won't stay that slow.

rope kid
Feb 3, 2001

Warte nur! Balde
Ruhest du auch.

Otto Skorzeny posted:

Are all bows and crossbows going to have the same "muzzle velocity" btw?
Yeah. They're now all firing 2x as fast as what's in the video. All firearm projectiles move 4x as fast as what's in the video.

rope kid
Feb 3, 2001

Warte nur! Balde
Ruhest du auch.

They are obviously different when they are born, often causing complications or death for the mother.

rope kid
Feb 3, 2001

Warte nur! Balde
Ruhest du auch.

Inspector Gesicht posted:

I wonder how flexible the game will be in terms of essential characters. In New Vegas you could everyone short of the children and two robots, while in BG and PST you would get a game over or Arkanis Gath'd if you killed the wrong man at the wrong time.
We strive to have few/zero essential characters.

rope kid
Feb 3, 2001

Warte nur! Balde
Ruhest du auch.

Since we are using OpenType fonts in PoE we put in scaling support, so legibility shouldn't be a problem. We also have ligature support, though apparently I am the only person in the world who likes it.

rope kid
Feb 3, 2001

Warte nur! Balde
Ruhest du auch.

Here's a comparison of the main font we use without (left) and with ligatures enabled:

rope kid
Feb 3, 2001

Warte nur! Balde
Ruhest du auch.

Those are two poems, neither that much longer than Catullus 16.

rope kid
Feb 3, 2001

Warte nur! Balde
Ruhest du auch.

Mozi posted:

I suppose it would be an option.
It is an option, off by default.

rope kid
Feb 3, 2001

Warte nur! Balde
Ruhest du auch.

CottonWolf posted:

I can't say my inner min-maxer is too happy with that. I'd much prefer that they give them a minimum starting level with defined skills at that point (to make sure their skills fit their character), then when you collect them at they're either at that minimum level, if you're a lower level than that, or your level if you're higher with the extra skill points for those levels above their minimum to spend as you will. There doesn't really seem any reason to not do it that way.
The reason to not do it that way is that it requires prescience from the player to level up a character class with which they have a 10/11 chance of being unfamiliar. You get Pallegina dropped in your party. You've never used any paladin abilities because you're not playing a paladin, but you're asked to pick talents and/or abilities for the character from 1-?? as though you are making fully informed decisions. It also turns finding a companion into a chore because if you don't advance them as soon as they join the party, you're playing with an extremely vulnerable party member.

For absolutely full control over character advancement, use the Adventurer's Hall.

rope kid
Feb 3, 2001

Warte nur! Balde
Ruhest du auch.

Captain Oblivious posted:

Would it be feasible to have an option on this? Like, in options a toggle for full companion control or what you propose? That way you have it both ways. The people who know what they're getting into can make the choice, everybody else can benefit from the informed choices of your default level ups.
It is logically possible, yes. It's not likely given our timeline. The entire game is already festooned with display and difficulty options.

rope kid
Feb 3, 2001

Warte nur! Balde
Ruhest du auch.

Please remember that Larian already had a developed game when D:OS went to Kickstarter. The Kickstarter budget was mostly for polish and additional features. There are things that D:OS does that PoE doesn't and there are things PoE does that D:OS doesn't. Each game has its own focus and things the dev teams chose to omit.

rope kid
Feb 3, 2001

Warte nur! Balde
Ruhest du auch.

I think we still have work to do in terms of progressing the power of our spiritshift forms, but the first step we took is to turn the druid into large anthropomorphic hybrids instead of literally "ur a bear now". Spiritshift forms are much closer to werecreatures than ordinary animals.

rope kid
Feb 3, 2001

Warte nur! Balde
Ruhest du auch.

You can be a werebear.

E: Rangers can have bear companions.

rope kid
Feb 3, 2001

Warte nur! Balde
Ruhest du auch.

SurrealityCheck posted:

Yesssss. Can I name my bear
Yes.

rope kid
Feb 3, 2001

Warte nur! Balde
Ruhest du auch.

Bloody Hedgehog posted:

Any word on the expected length of the game?

I'm not expecting a BG2 opus, but I'm definitely looking for something lengthy to sink my RPG-choppers into.
No idea how long it will take to play through, but we have about ~150 maps.

rope kid
Feb 3, 2001

Warte nur! Balde
Ruhest du auch.

Eddain posted:

Will enemy rangers also have animal companions or is that just a PC/companion thing?
Yes, any character that has ranger as a class has an animal companion.

rope kid
Feb 3, 2001

Warte nur! Balde
Ruhest du auch.

Eddain posted:

So I could have a ranger PC, the ranger companion, and four hired rangers, along with all six pets, to make a band of murdering misfits?
Yes.

rope kid
Feb 3, 2001

Warte nur! Balde
Ruhest du auch.

GreatGreen posted:

I'm curious about this mechanic.

When you add a pet to your ranger, does the ranger's health and stamina bars just increase by the exact amount of health and stamina the pet has? and then when either of you take damage, the resistances of the one getting hit are accounted for and the damage is then taken from the total pool?
The animal companion isn't really "added" since it's an integral part of the ranger class. You have the animal companion starting at first level. The animal companion's Health and Stamina are set to the ranger's and are effectively linked forever. The shared damage only matters after armor and other things are accounted for. Each character has their own defenses and DT, but once the damage gets through, both suffer. In the case of AoEs that do damage to both the ranger and the animal companion, there is a ranger ability called Defensive Bond that gives both characters a bonus to their defenses when both are within the same AoE.

rope kid fucked around with this message at 03:10 on Aug 8, 2014

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

rope kid
Feb 3, 2001

Warte nur! Balde
Ruhest du auch.

The available backgrounds depend on culture, not race.

• Locked thread