Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Microcline
Jul 27, 2012

coffeetable posted:

I'll never understand people who want licensed titles over fresh IP :psyduck:
I think it's that Obsidian is weirdly immune to the whole "licensed games suck" thing. In the end it doesn't really matter though. It's a bit like the old fallacy most comics fans have where they attach themselves to certain characters/franchises. A bad writer is going to write a bad story no matter what while a good writer can take even the lamest D-lister and write something entertaining.

The Sharmat posted:

As a guy with a Morrowind avatar, I have the authority to declare this post Objectively Right.

Seriously, Obsidian has long been my last hope for the TES setting living up to its potential ever again, since the main franchise abandoned everything that made it unique.
Morrowind felt more like an archeology simulator than anything. I spent most of my time reading books, exploring ruins, and tracking down NPCs to get infodumps and piece things together. It's not a bad thing (and I think more games should explore archeology as a storytelling device), but the time the game itself took place in felt rather static. It certainly fit with the game's themes of guilt, fatalism, and ancestral sin, but it would have worked a bit better if it were worked into narrative and character arcs instead of blocks of text. And if the gameplay hadn't sucked.

Also Kirkbride/Avellone giving TES one last shot at greatness is my favorite dream team that will never occur.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Microcline
Jul 27, 2012

CottonWolf posted:

I think a WWII RPG set in the Pacific theatre where you play a Chinese soldier would be incredible. But that is NEVER going to happen. Ever.
The problem with these kind of ideas is that Obsidian has always been heavy on game-story integration in RPGs. Consider how TNO increases in power by regaining his memories or how the Exile siphons the force from the people he kills/does quests for. The RPG elements in Alpha Protocol didn't have anything to do with the story and thus it felt a bit jarring to level up by killing not-Bin Laden.

Microcline
Jul 27, 2012

The only game I've seen weapon degradation work as a mechanic is Fire Emblem, where it's kind of an "ammo" for your special attacks. Doing something special like ranged attacks on a melee unit, getting a crazy critical chance, or wielding a legendary kill anything sword required you to waste one of your five item slots and deplete one of the item's limited uses. It makes your one-of-a-kind legendary weapons feel more valuable, but you always use them anyway because it's better to use a charge on an item than an irreplaceable unit. Of course, this doesn't apply to people who savescum who are just going to hoard and use iron weapons.

It still had a lot of flaws in how much micromanagement was required, and would have been vastly improved if there was a pre-battle shop instead of having them on the map itself.

Microcline
Jul 27, 2012

Zore posted:

Every Fire Emblem released in the last 10 years has put shops in the pre-battle prep. Well, except the two that were remakes of the first two games.

Yes, which in general has higher prices and a much more limited selection than the in-battle shops. There's no mechanical reason for the supremacy of in-battle shops (or having in-battle shops at all) other than rewarding tedious micromanagement.

It does tie back into consumables though, in that they should have a large enough effect to justify inclusion, like how in The Witcher finding the right way to booby trap the battlefield and roid yourself out was the difference between victory and getting one-shotted, and should only require money/manual buying if said cost is significant (i.e. how XCOM:EU did away with buying individual bullets/grenades/rockets for your soldiers).

Microcline
Jul 27, 2012

I was a bit confused about strenght not affecting melee damage at first, but it made a lot more sense after I realized the stats are meant to represent characters that posess a minimum level of physical fitness. Everyone has enough strength to wield most weapons effectively. If someone really wants to make a scrawny/fatass goonlord who inexplicably came out of his basement they can add some sort of a trait/flaw for that.

Calling it "strength" at this point seems kind of misleading. I really like the "hardiness" idea though. I'd probably put it as

Hardiness - Your ability to carry equipment and fight for long periods without tiring
Vitality - Your ability to fight for short periods without tiring
Dexterity - Your finesse. This is the part of "reflex" that lets you dodge the thrown knife after seeing it
Expertise - Knowing poo poo about what you do, be it casting spells or hitting people. Not necessarily "book knowledge"
Perception - The part of "reflex" that lets you see the thrown knife
Willpower - A cleric's faith, a barbarian's rage, a martial artist's focus. That kind of thing

I wouldn't call expertise alone the "damage stat", because Dex and Perception are probably equally effective. You can't damage anything if you can't hit it, and Rope Kid has said that rogues set up for critical hits are the highest single target damage dealers.

I really like that there don't seem to be any obvious dump stats. Normally with the Str/Dex/Con/Int you automatically know you're going to dump Str or Int (to say nothing of Wis/Cha).

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Microcline
Jul 27, 2012

Captain Oblivious posted:

Yeah I just frankly don't understand the notion of contracting an MMO to Obsidian. It's not at all playing to their strengths.

IIRC they're doing contract work for someone called Allods Team for the MMO SkyForge, so I assume they aren't writing netcode or anything. It's still kind of weird that they'd pull Obsidian in on this, in that all of their best skills (story, setting, dialog, quest reactivity) are completely unnecessary and irrelevant window-dressing in an MMO.

• Locked thread