Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Wittgen
Oct 13, 2012

We have decided to decline your offer of a butt kicking.
On the other hand, if you want to play a game about having unlimited moral authority and substantial personal power, you should be playing Dogs in the Vineyard.

D&D tries to be everything and ends up not being very good at much of anything. I'm glad that this game is focusing on the tactical combat and not the "mature" matter of whether or not fictional race's babies deserve to be murdered or not.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Wittgen
Oct 13, 2012

I don't get your point about Minsc and Boo at all. Minsc had a strong personality and was entertaining. There's nothing bad about that. Most of the NPCs in the first Baldur's Gate were forgettable. It's not Minsc's fault that I didn't care about whoever it was that you mentioned.

Wittgen
Oct 13, 2012

This update made me think that an all rogue party could be awesome. Alpha strike everything into dust or die trying.

Wittgen
Oct 13, 2012

Symphoric posted:

It's the dream of every nerd to be in a relationship where they never have to make any real sacrifices and can solve any problem by reading a walkthrough on gamefaqs.

Have you never seen a rom com? Have you never scanned the titles in the self-help section of a bookstore? The things you're describing aren't nerd things. They're people things.

Romances are tough and a game comes off as shallow if there isn't a diversity in types of romantic subplots. I'm glad Obsidian is staying away if they don't feel like they have the time, budged, and/or aptitude to do it right.

Wittgen
Oct 13, 2012

Torment has the best writing and story. Baldur's Gate 2 has the best power arc. Arcanum is the best at being really freaking weird.

Wittgen
Oct 13, 2012

There were strategies other than Step 1: Scroll of Protection from Undead, Step 2: Victory?

Wittgen
Oct 13, 2012

I hope it becomes an enormously successful cash cow that funds gently caress You: Suck My Dick: The Josh Sawyer Dream RPG.

Wittgen
Oct 13, 2012

No one has said Paradox is Russian. The comments about Russia have to do with Obsidian's partner for the tank game.

e: Two replies before mine. Guess I had that tab open for a while. Oops.

Wittgen fucked around with this message at 08:35 on Mar 20, 2014

Wittgen
Oct 13, 2012

SunAndSpring posted:

Filthy dumb wizard scum.

Harm is a cleric spell. :spergin:

Wittgen
Oct 13, 2012

Keeshhound posted:

Sure, if you're not counting the best isometric steampunk-vs-magic RPG ever made. But if you're not going to count that, then your opinion doesn't really matter, now does it? :colbert:

Oh goddamnit. That was in the context of Arcanum? The worst part is that I almost made the same joke earlier and realized the context was wrong previously. My bad.

Harm makes such a satisfying sound too.

Wittgen
Oct 13, 2012

Did they make a real ARM disk or is that just a pretty realistic picture? It looks awesome either way, but I'd like to know.

Wittgen
Oct 13, 2012

I would also be very interested in hearing any numbers. I personally have no interest in early access, but I could imagine it brings in crazy money. Wasteland 2 has had a spot on the steam front page, and there are millions of people on steam all the time. Compared with Wasteland 2's 61,000 odd initial backers...

Wittgen
Oct 13, 2012

Those text screens look awesome. The art is great and it feels like a cooler way to use skills than just having a dialog box open, which is honestly the other option.

Wittgen
Oct 13, 2012

When you go into stealth mode, your characters literally hid under a big fake rock and scoot around. This tells you what you need to know about how good this game is.

Wittgen
Oct 13, 2012

More importantly, does your dog worship horrible monsters?

Wittgen
Oct 13, 2012

AG3 posted:

Except the Godlike who can't wear them :(

Godlike get giant horns or whatever. It all evens out.

Wittgen
Oct 13, 2012

Kanfy posted:

The first King's Bounty did this, you equipped your babies on your wife's equipment slots and they gave you different combat bonuses depending on the baby.

quote:

It's hard to believe that this is your son, but it's true. You're the happy father of this boy.

The child, besides giving useful bonuses, takes his place in your heart and in your wife's equipment slot.

Who wouldn't want this amazing feature in their game?

Wittgen
Oct 13, 2012

Is there any audio cue, or is it purely visual?

Wittgen
Oct 13, 2012

New Vegas had a brothel quest where you recruited workers for the brothel. It was juvenile, and it was hilarious.

Wittgen
Oct 13, 2012

Arzachel posted:

At a time when LoL and Dota are enormous, the Souls games have a large following and casual roguelikes are an actual thing, I'm not sure how anyone can say that with a straight face.

Nowadays all these impatient whippersnappers expect games to have both UI and documentation. Everyone's spoiled rotten. Nobody's got patience or heart anymore.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Wittgen
Oct 13, 2012

Oasx posted:

After playing Wasteland 2 I am even happier to know that I won't have to constantly fiddle with the camera in this game.

Yes, absolutely. I've been trying out Mask of the Betrayer after constantly seeing it praised around here. The writing and characters are pretty good, but almost everything else is insufferable. The camera is the worst.

• Locked thread