Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
peak debt
Mar 11, 2001
b& :(
Nap Ghost

Steve2911 posted:

What ever happened to the Wheel of Time game?

It got released in 2003ish?

Edit: Actually it was in 1999 http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Wheel_of_Time_(video_game)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

peak debt
Mar 11, 2001
Nap Ghost
Only the CE came with Shale, the regular edition didn't have her.

And I lost my Dragon Age save because of Shale. I bought the CE, then played the game with her until I was like 75% done when the game suddenly lost the DLC. You couldn't load a savegame with her without the DLC installed, and all EA support said was that I'd have to re-buy the DLC for another 15$ to get it back. And I couldn't even import the savegame to a pirated download because of version differences :mad:

So that pretty much defines what I think about day 1 DLC...

peak debt
Mar 11, 2001
Nap Ghost
Leliana was somewhat interesting because of her transformation from french spy to reborn christian but you only found out about that if you kept her in the party which was kind of her weakness. It's a bit like Atton Rand who actually had a great backstory but nobody ever found out about it because they ditched him before the story developed.

peak debt
Mar 11, 2001
Nap Ghost
Which is a bit of a balance thing. If you are able to wrestle a hill giant you probably shouldn't also be able to use a 300g Haste scroll.

peak debt
Mar 11, 2001
Nap Ghost
You probably couldn't copyright Elf any more than Giant or Zombie, they're in far too much prior art. Hobbit is something Tolkien invented for his book.

peak debt
Mar 11, 2001
Nap Ghost
The whole KOTOR setting is EU and it is drat well a more compelling setting than the Spacejesus/Tradefederation/Clonehitler plot of the prequel movies.

peak debt
Mar 11, 2001
Nap Ghost
Why is that guy's lightsabre so dark :confused:

peak debt
Mar 11, 2001
Nap Ghost
In 2nd edition, Con affected all saves, not Wis though...

peak debt
Mar 11, 2001
Nap Ghost
Rogue skills work in P&P because then you can actually build a story out of them but in PC RPGs they are usually rather weak. In BG2 you had trapfinding which was either tedious or always followed a quickload, pickpocket which was utterly useless unless you followed a guide that showed you the 5 people that had godlike items to steals, and open lock that you leveled to 100 by level 4 then used on everything.

peak debt
Mar 11, 2001
Nap Ghost
DAoC did hunters with a permanent animal companion before WoW by the way.

And in D&D, ranger companions were mostly a liability. They didn't have anywhere near enough HP, armor or saves to participate in level appropriate fights and if you tried to do so you'd have to get a new one every week. Their only powergaming use was for scouting, something that doesn't exist in a CRPG.

Compare that to WoW (and DAoC before that) where many hunter players got quite invested in their companions and the class synergizes extremely well with them and I'd say it's pretty clear which model you'd want to take as an example. Those classes actually spawned two of the most completionist fansites in their time.

peak debt fucked around with this message at 23:15 on Feb 4, 2014

peak debt
Mar 11, 2001
Nap Ghost
They made encounters fun, period. Earlier MMORPGs had nothing of the fight gimmicks that are nowadays standard like voidzones, pie slice attacks, interrupts, and the various movement based gimmicks. All you generally did was face the boss to a corner, queue up heals and maybe have some very simple add offtankings.

Ragnaros outclassed every fight done before that. And that fight looks boring now compared to what they did with later raids and expansions.

Same thing for leveling. In earlier games you leveled by finding a spot with reliable mob respawns, then you killed one, waited for your mana to regen and the monster to repop, then repeat until you outleveled the zone.

peak debt
Mar 11, 2001
Nap Ghost

Captain Oblivious posted:

At least Pillars of Eternity will prove that not ALL kickstarted games are quasi-fraud and nerds being terrible with money.

Just most of them.

To Kickstarter's credit, they cut off Star Citizen after they went like 300% over their original goal. Everything after that was collected through Paypal and similar sources.

peak debt
Mar 11, 2001
Nap Ghost

Drifter posted:

I'm just trying to figure out what peak debt meant when he said they cut off Star Citizen after they went to 300%. Because it makes no loving sense, given that they had a full length run and ended at over 400%. Maybe he just picked the wrong words, so I was just trying to get clarification and being nonconfrontationally polite about it.

Star Citizen was originally asking for $500k. A nice little indie budget that will keep a couple people occupied for a year. When they hit $2m (300% more than what they originally asked for) Kickstarter stopped accepting any additional money because it frankly makes no sense overfunding a project by that much. The Star Citizen developers then made their own website and collected the next $41m through Paypal. It was only once they bypassed Kickstarter that things went completely off the rocker (a virtual towel for only $1m!), the Kickstarter people were quite reasonable about how much money they'd let people invest.

Inspector Gesicht posted:

Has anything been said on the policy of respawning enemies? I'm up to Chapter 4 in BGEE at the moment and it's a massive pain in the arse. You can't rest at all in the Gnoll Fortess because your recovery will be interrupted by blood-thirsty smurfs. BG2 was far better than the first game since there's a lot less trash combat and you could clear out areas completely, giving more satisfaction than any level-ups.

The opposite, where you take an 8 hour breather anywhere in the middle of an enemy keep is a little silly too though. Always pisses me off when my pen&paper players try something like that :mad:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

peak debt
Mar 11, 2001
Nap Ghost
More like 3.6, but yes.

They did have to completely redo the world from scratch though since that wasn't covered by the open license.

• Locked thread