Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Sleep of Bronze
Feb 9, 2013

If I could only somewhere find Aias, master of the warcry, then we could go forth and again ignite our battle-lust, even in the face of the gods themselves.

Kurtofan posted:

Crossposting from the old thread:

That's happening to me as well.

Aye, me too. But that's further than I could get before, so I'm happy with some progress being made.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sleep of Bronze
Feb 9, 2013

If I could only somewhere find Aias, master of the warcry, then we could go forth and again ignite our battle-lust, even in the face of the gods themselves.
Yeah, went through when I tried again. And I threw an extra £20 at them for the expansion and the Almanac whilst I was at it.

Sleep of Bronze
Feb 9, 2013

Scorchy posted:

It's a random link script I think. It alternately took me to the Obsidian order thread and also the Kerfluffles marshmallows store page (which were delicious).

Their error page talked about an invasion by Kerfufflopagus or something. The marshmallows have their, er ... appendages? ... everwhere! :tinfoil:

Edit: Yep this is happening.
KERFLUFFLEUPOGUS DEMANDS PALADINS.

Phlegmish posted:

What's this about an expansion? Anyway, I think I'm going to hold off on buying that until I've played and liked the base game. God bless Steam.

You saw SAGA in the trailer? That's fantasy game dev code for "we want to make this a franchise".

Sleep of Bronze fucked around with this message at 23:40 on Dec 10, 2013

Sleep of Bronze
Feb 9, 2013

CottonWolf posted:

omeg posted:

Now, is the "Digital Download of World Almanac" ($15 addon) included in a full digital tier of $50 or is it something else?
It should have been. I contacted them about that issue already, as I nearly ended up buying it again, and I'm pretty sure lots of people will have done.

Ah, gently caress. And I even thought I'd checked through the $50 tier to check that the Almanac wasn't included before I added that. Oh well.

Sleep of Bronze
Feb 9, 2013

On the scale of their mentioned possibilities, from bigger, open world and Skyrim-esque to the idea of smaller parties and more personal interactions, I am way more inclined to the second. Given what Obsidian have generally put out, it seems to fit their talents far better.

Sleep of Bronze
Feb 9, 2013

Quantumfate posted:

A promethean the lost with the main character wandering lonely across the american southwest, written by ropekid so that it's all deep philosophy and nietszchean nihilistic musing and the occasional punching angels.

Nietzschean musing on nihilism posted:

There may even be puritanical fanatics of conscience, who prefer to put their last trust in a sure nothing, rather than in an uncertain something. But that is Nihilism, and the sign of a despairing, mortally wearied soul.

(Nietzsche is an existentialist. :eng101:)

Sleep of Bronze
Feb 9, 2013

In a vacuum, I don't find either Strength = health or Int = damage unintuitive. But somehow my brain rejects it when there's the confluence of:
a) There is a damage stat
b) There is a stat called Strength
c) Strength is not the damage stat
d) The damage stat is called Intelligence.

Maybe it's because of the contrast? Fine with the separate implementations, but when I have to look at that whole picture, it begins to grate a bit. Maybe I'd expect Int = damage in a game where all the stats were non-physical or a definite mix, but when it's put up against stats that seem rawly physical, it feels odd that such a cerebral name gets to handle damage.

I think I like the suggestion which has come up already of switching Resolve to damage etc. and Intelligence to AoE etc. It's somehow easier to parse though I couldn't quite articulate why. Possibly it has those slightly less cerebral connotations and more screaming warrior/Bruce Willis images.

Sleep of Bronze
Feb 9, 2013

rope kid posted:

A question for anyone reading the thread: if you saw a list of stats presented like this:

Might
Constitution
Dexterity
Perception
Intellect
Resolve

or

Power
Constitution
Dexterity
Perception
Intellect
Resolve

What would you assume the stat that affects damage would be?
Might and Power, with possible options on Dex or Resolve.

quote:

Based on that answer, if you discovered that stat affected all damage and healing, including damage and healing from sources like guns and wands and bows and fireball spells, how would you feel about it?
Might just has slightly too physical a connotation for me not to be weirded out that it helps my guns and my healing. Power less so, though I guess it's still slightly strange that it helps non-drawn (i.e. not longbows/crossbow) ranged weapons. I would find it very bizarre if you told me Dexterity. While Resolve is a "well, maybe it could be this too" choice rather than the immediate one, I suppose it raises the least objections once you've hypothetically told me that it is this all round number raising stat.

Sleep of Bronze
Feb 9, 2013

tirinal posted:

I may be going crazy, but when the new PoE site went live I think I remember some levels of the digital download explicitly mentioning that they include the kickstarter exclusive pet/item. I just checked my orders, as well as the available options, and it seems all reference to this has been removed.

Anyone know what's going on?

There seem to have been a number of issues with the listing for various tiers when fulfilment went live. Meant that I and some others in the thread bought things we actually already had. :(

Sleep of Bronze
Feb 9, 2013

Mine follow a strict formula of [Number of times I've run a game with this archetype][Archetype][Number of saves so far under this combination] in pretty much every game that lets me name saves. 1Paranoid1 must be the beginning of a Torment game where I decided to follow in the footsteps of an illustrious predecessor; 4Fighter12 means I need to start working on being more specific about what I'm going to do with my character when I start random BG2 games; 3TheSwordCoastIsOurOyster25 means I like running with a crew of Chaotic Neutral and Evil weirdos in BG1 far too much.

Sleep of Bronze
Feb 9, 2013

Not remembering BG1 NPCs doesn't mean anything because a number of them aren't on plot paths and have to be stumbled upon in the wilderness. I played through BG1 several times before I got BG2 and I had no idea who the hell this Viconia person was and why I supposed to recognise her - and she was one they chose to bring back as a major companion.

Sleep of Bronze
Feb 9, 2013

Fish Fry Andy posted:

Baldur's Gate is supposed to have a population of like 140,000 people
Waterdeep has 120k and upwards, a number acknowledged to be swelled by vast numbers of transients (merchants, travellers, whatever.) Baldur's Gate has 80k in low season, with the same acknowledged swelling, and it's one of the biggest trading cities on the entire coast, host to the biggest/best mercenary company on the continent.

quote:

Candlekeep around 100,000
I can't find any sources on how many citizens Candlekeep has, except for the description of its law enforcers. 1 commander, 5 lieutenants, 12 armed monks per lieutenant. That doesn't imply anything near a population of 100000.

quote:

In order for a community to grow to that size they should have massive amounts of supporting communities, but they just really don't in any of the games. It's bizarre, and that's the kind of thing that breaks my ability to believe a setting.
Half of Baldur's Gate's history is about how the farming communities near Baldur's Gate took advantage of the city's favourable position for trade to put huge taxes on incoming goods. For their troubles, the merchants and sailors initiated a brief civil war to regain the right to unmolested trade. And I don't imagine it hurts that the available seafood diet (from just the list of products Baldur's Gate natively does trade in) includes whales. Not going to feed a city but there's still gotta be a lot of meat on each one.

:goonsay:

Sleep of Bronze
Feb 9, 2013

MiltonSlavemasta posted:

Do people import food through portals to Iowa and The Shire?
Primary food imports are from Arborea, aka Ancient Greece: the plane, but the abundance of portals allow even fairly run of the mill shops to provide cuisine from throughout the planes.

Sleep of Bronze
Feb 9, 2013

Kevin Michael Richardson's narration was one of the things that made Baldur's Gate. Lots of it required you to ... use your imagination ... to make the best of it, because BGI didn't have the greatest content density ever produced but the chapter and dream sequences with that voice over were just fantastic.

Sleep of Bronze
Feb 9, 2013

And another new one.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cMrUo9K9_-s

Sleep of Bronze
Feb 9, 2013

GreatGreen posted:

Why nerds have the slightest interest in wanting to think their little computer character man/woman loves (aka has sex with) another little computer character woman/man I'll never know especially considering it is basically impossible for romances in video games to be written with even the slightest bit of competence.
Herp, I don't understand why love stories interest people and have for the entire history of storytelling. gently caress, even if you're an autistic robot and don't get why, can you not at least see that people do like them? Games might be a new and different medium, but if you're trying to convey any kind of narrative then people are going to be interested in and look to the themes and motifs that have held up narratives for the past several thousand years. And love's one of the more potent and consistent ones. Going EWWW LOVE and EWWW SEX makes you way more of a goddamm nerd than people doing what the human race has done since cavepeople gathered around the fire to listen to Ug The Slightly More Talkative make something up to distract them from the cold in the middle of the Ice Age.

A string of vaguely related other points:
I really really don't believe that the medium of video games makes it basically impossible to write a love story with any shred of competence.

Writing a good romance where the player has a range of different options and has very strong control over the character is indeed very hard. Not anything like impossible, I think, but taxing and littered with pitfalls and quite possibly too much effort for not enough reward unless you're going to tie it into the whole game as an important theme.

Even controlling a character in a video game doesn't make them your self insert. RPGs are roleplaying games - that doesn't mean the role has to be you. Your dude/dudette is a wizard in a world of gods and demons. Why the gently caress are you making them take choices like they're a 21st century goon? Use some bloody imagination.

Obsidian have strong writers on the team, who actually know the world and the story they're trying to create. If they decided it didn't benefit from a romantic side then I'll happily take that and trust them. If at some point they decide that another game they're writing, be it a Pillars series game or not, does benefit from it, I'll take that and trust them also.

Sleep of Bronze
Feb 9, 2013

"It's great when the NPCs initiate dialogue so you feel like they're independent agents. I wish I could remember games where they did that."

We're in the Pillars of Eternity thread, right? Spiritual successor to the IE games? And the most successful of those, BG2, didn't let you initiate dialogue with party NPCs so it was always them who began a conversation. Uh, have people talking about this had sudden onset amnesia or something?

Sleep of Bronze
Feb 9, 2013

Quality: PST = Mask = BG2, IWD2, IWD1, BG1, HOTU/SOU, non-Mask parts of NWN2, NWN1 vanilla. (Arcanum)

Not just artistic/writing quality: Mask and PST outshine BG2 by far in that area. But in terms of crafting an overall game experience, I think BG2 is better than either and its writing is acceptable enough that it keeps up with the other two. And while you can find all sorts of new angles to the better writing on subsequent playthroughs, a really fun time playing makes me keep coming back to BG2. And its mods don't hurt the replayability at all either. So I ended up with another set of rankings.

How much I personally enjoy them: BG2, BG1 = PST = Mask, IWD2, IWD1, HotU/SoU = non-Mask parts of NWN2, NWN1 vanilla, Arcanum.

BG1 also leaps up here because its writing might be weird and deeply schizophrenic but I love the pure experience of the game. It recreates the tabletop beautifully.

Arcanum is excluded from the first list and that low on the second because I had almost exactly the same dreadful flailing experience as Avellone had in his attempt. I assume there's a good game later on but the infamously tough BG1 start stumped me way less when I was 6 than Arcanum did a couple of years ago. I never got beyond the first couple of areas.

Sleep of Bronze
Feb 9, 2013

Whether it's taking itself seriously or being a parody full of pop culture references.

Sleep of Bronze
Feb 9, 2013

What does Ropekid like in RPGs?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NwWj4diu94k

^ Oh gently caress off.

Sleep of Bronze
Feb 9, 2013

Who would veto that?

Sleep of Bronze
Feb 9, 2013

Basic Chunnel posted:

Wouldn't stoic be the analogue of passionate? I guess you could add "hedonist" in there to clarify. Book it JSaw

Stoic is the counterpart to Epicurian. :colbert:

Please let me play an Epicurian adventurer.

Sleep of Bronze
Feb 9, 2013

The slightest touch of your power seems to set a spark through Vhailor's armored shell - it rises into the air, and refits itself into the semblance of a man. As the armor reattaches, two fires blaze within the helm.
(StrRef: 68222)

"Vhailor?"
(StrRef: 68223)

*I have AWAKENED.*
(StrRef: 68225)

"Vhailor, listen to me: a great injustice has been done. When I die, someone else across the Planes dies in my place. It has happened hundreds, thousands, perhaps hundreds of thousands of times. The multiverse dies so that I might live."
(StrRef: 68226)

PermanentStatChange("Vhail",STR,RAISE,3)
PermanentStatChange("Vhail",DEX,SET,25)
PermanentStatChange("Vhail",CON,SET,25)
GiveExperience("Vhail",2000000)

As you speak the words, Vhailor seems to *swell*, becoming greater, more a force than an armor.
(StrRef: 68227)

"I know my crime, and I am trying to prevent it from ever happening again, but the one creature that could put an end to this injustice *refuses* to allow it for its own selfish reasons."
(StrRef: 68228)

FullHealEx("Vhail")

*YOU ARE NOW AMONG THE CONDEMNED. AS IS THIS OTHER. I WILL SEE BOTH YOUR SOULS SPLIT UPON JUSTICE'S BLADE.*
(StrRef: 68229)

Sleep of Bronze
Feb 9, 2013

User0015 posted:

Interesting stuff about Catastrophic Events every couple hundred years. So given the time and place in the game, how long has it been since the last one?
Assuming I have the rough timelines in my head at least somewhat correct, the next Lover's Tide shouldn't be anywhere near Pillars. The 'present' of the setting isn't very far off the revolution when the event described happened.

Sleep of Bronze
Feb 9, 2013

Captain Oblivious posted:

I already know my blood pressure can't handle clicking that link.
I actually recommend it to improve your blood pressure. Excellent way to get your laughs for the day: meeting a caveman in 2014 is hilarious.

E: Oh, someone posted it anyway. How inconsiderate.

Re: companion levelling, BG used to have a few different versions of the characters and spawn one that matched you when you encountered them. It has some flexibility to it, and it's good for not overwhelming new players/experienced players who don't care or aren't good at character design. Having dozens upon dozens of different options when you meet a character (quite possibly whose class you don't yet understand well) some way into the game is not always the best. On a personal level, I'd prefer something like the Tweakpack component which always spawned the lowest level version of the character and just kicked their XP up so you could level them all the way yourself, but I could understand if they went the other way.

Sleep of Bronze
Feb 9, 2013

Plato prefers not to concern himself with poetry. Aristotle is the proponent of catharsis.

14492b posted:

ἔστιν οὖν τραγῳδία μίμησις πράξεως σπουδαίας καὶ τελείας μέγεθος ἐχούσης ... δι᾽ ἐλέου καὶ φόβου περαίνουσα τὴν τῶν τοιούτων παθημάτων κάθαρσιν.

So tragedy is this reflection of a deed which is of great import, which is final, and which has a certain magnitude ... by pity and fear, it accomplishes the catharsis of such emotions.

Sleep of Bronze
Feb 9, 2013

Bright sun on greengrass thatch. Hrm. The seaside's nice though.

Sleep of Bronze
Feb 9, 2013

LogicNinja posted:

fake e: I guess I should try to see if I can get a windows XP VM up and running on it the way you could with Win7.
Runs sweetly right off the discs for me on 7. You really have to go through setting a VM for it? Kind of sucks.

Sleep of Bronze
Feb 9, 2013

Huh, that's worse: the GoG editions should be more up to date than my old discs. They called out their updating games for more modern OSs as a selling point often enough. :crossarms:

Sleep of Bronze
Feb 9, 2013

DatonKallandor posted:

Kangaxx doesn't really count. He was basically an easter egg. No real hints to his location, no connection to the primary storyline and his second form breaks all the rules by having an unlimited version of a modified (improved) max level spell.

He breaks the player rules, but he's a demilich, not a player.

Unfortunately, he actually breaks the demilich rules too. Death Howl is as it should be, but he shouldn't have more than 5-8 casts of Trap the Soul because his gems ought to break if they fail, it should allow a (penalised) save even if he knows your name, and both MR and a normal save if he doesn't.

On the plus side, he's actually way more vulnerable to straight weapon damage and MR-piercing spells than a P&P demilich, and Freedom has a 100% success rate on his Soul Trapped characters in BG rather than you running the risk that he drained the souls in an attempt to stay (un)alive. And you don't have to immerse him in holy water and purify the bone powder with a Dispel to finish him off. Or do you? :tinfoil:

Sleep of Bronze
Feb 9, 2013

GreatGreen posted:

Party games with move-party-then-move-camera-then-move-party-then-move-camera view mechanics have always really put a damper on playability over the alternative.

YMMV: I've never enjoyed isometric/high angle cameras that lock me to the party. I'll take the freedom of movement over smooth short-distance travelling every time; that's what makes for better playability for me. :shrug:

Sleep of Bronze
Feb 9, 2013

Prokhor Zakharov posted:

No, the game is cancelled and the notorious criminal Josh Sawyer used up all the backer money on obscure german opera records and bicycle parts.

Dammit ropekid. :argh:

Sleep of Bronze
Feb 9, 2013

Mymla posted:

Did people praise Final Fantasy 7's graphics when it was new?
I was about to defend the battle models, then looked up the rubbish vanilla ones and remembered I played with mods from my first playthrough because I hopped on the FF7 train years later than everyone else. :geno:

I'll offer a bit of an apologia (not an apology) for the times, though. I don't think that everyone decided 3D was better in the face of the ugliness that the contemporary systems put out. Rather, 3D was exciting for its newness and was where gaming was manifestly going to go, even then. If you kept sticking with 2D and isometric past 2002, there was probably a sense that you were being rather hidebound and unwilling to even try pushing the visual borders further (until we might end up with something palatable), as well as all the 3D IS INHERENTLY BETTER AND MORE REAL ALWAYS thing.

FuriousGeorge posted:

This was exactly what happened with Icewind Dale II, since everyone had beheld the visual splendor that was Neverwinter Nights.
It's weird, looking back. At the time, I never really judged IWD2 and NWN against each other graphics wise, despite the fact that IWD2 had some of the most gorgeous Infinity Engine backgrounds and NWN could only make hills out of fairy cake tiers because they didn't have the technology to make proper slopes yet. I guess I just characterised 2D graphics and 3D graphics completely separately and decided it would be a useless chalk and cheese comparison.

Speaking of NWN graphics, a mildly :nws: amusement I turned up while writing this post.

Sleep of Bronze
Feb 9, 2013

I'd rather the one I was keeping an eye on the most (presumably Stamina) were bigger, and the other smaller, even if it's eventually more vital.

Sleep of Bronze
Feb 9, 2013

VanSandman posted:

Release the manual a week early. Then people will read it.

:golfclap:

As long as it's not like Mask of the Betrayer's manual which spoiled crazy amounts of plot.

Sleep of Bronze
Feb 9, 2013

When we posted about this before, I felt that the "Level 1 NPCs" option was better for people who are good at the system, but pre-leveled characters were better for people who weren't especially experienced with RPGs/PoE's take. Suddenly getting thrown a new class and having to level them up a dozen times is a little bit scary and disorienting when you're not yet sure how that class plays. And a definite break in the action too, when Obsidian might not want the flow of the game to be so interrupted each time you find a new party member. Imagine also that the NPC's introduction involves fighting alongside you, say. Having them with a single 'starting level' means you have to suddenly pause at the start of that fight and level them up a lot which is pretty undesirable.

Sleep of Bronze
Feb 9, 2013

Gort posted:

How did Divinity: Original Sin manage to pretty much design their entire game around co-op

Hey, look, you answered your own question.

Sleep of Bronze
Feb 9, 2013

Those heads make me want a :wtc: emote except with ropekid. :whatthesawyer:

Sleep of Bronze
Feb 9, 2013

Scorchy posted:

Cool, formations screen

Custom formations? :swoon:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sleep of Bronze
Feb 9, 2013

You're posting in a thread about an Obsidian Entertainment video game whose biggest marketing point is nostalgia for late '90s RPGs. Everyone in here is a goddamn nerd, don't go trying to put on airs and graces.

• Locked thread