Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
StashAugustine
Mar 24, 2013

Do not trust in hope- it will betray you! Only faith and hatred sustain.

Basic Chunnel posted:

A better question is why anyone would read or post in the RPG Codex

I dunno about post but reading all the :spergin: is hugely entertaining.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

StashAugustine
Mar 24, 2013

I haven't played 4e (no gaming groups :() but I got the impression that one thing that they're careful not to take from 4e is the sameness- they've been emphasizing that not all classes will play the same, just all be viable and reasonably effective.

StashAugustine
Mar 24, 2013

tima posted:

While we are on the subject of different settings for a game, here is mine:

You are a detective who gets woken up in the middle of the interstellar journey because there was a murder on the spaceship you are on. Was it a faulty ai? Did aliens infiltrate the ship? Is it one of the crew members? Stay tuned to find out!

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Quadrail_Series

e: should specify these are novels. It's basically film noir in space.

StashAugustine fucked around with this message at 19:04 on Dec 13, 2013

StashAugustine
Mar 24, 2013

CFox posted:

Not to derail romance chat but as someone who never played any of the old Infinity Engine games except for Planescape Torment could someone give me a general rundown on the classes in this game? Like what their archetype is in D&D. In general I can guess at how each one operates but the distinction between something like a fighter vs barbarian and rogue vs ranger is something I've seen blurred by other games that I've played.

- Fighters: Focus on passive defensive abilities and reliable damage.
- Rogues: Focus on mobility and single-target spike damage.
- Barbarians: Fast and cause lots of damage.
- Rangers: Not much info, has animal companion, probably focus on ranged combat.
- Monks: Has 'magic' abilities fueled by taking damage.
- Paladins: Has close-range defensive buffs and healing.
- Chanters: Have area buffs created by stringing a bunch of minor buffs together into a cycle.
- Druids: Not much info aside from shapeshifting.
- Priests: Not much info, probably healing/defensive magic.
- Ciphers: Use magic fueled by hitting people.
- Wizards: Magic users with a focus on flexibility.

StashAugustine
Mar 24, 2013

FuriousGeorge posted:

It's not necessarily rational, but I always feel kinda bad if I have resort to potion chugging to get through battles in most RPGs instead of being self-sufficient with innate healing spells and abilities. Like I didn't play "optimally" or something. I've reloaded saves to redo battles in IE games just because I felt like "eh, I really could've handled that better." Games like Dark Souls and Witcher 2 do potions much, where they're more integral parts of the gameplay.

In most other games potions are just an irritating-to-manage, slightly-shameful safety net.

Dark Souls got me to use potions all the time since they regenerated.

StashAugustine
Mar 24, 2013

Daeren posted:

Personally, I hoarded resins for boss fights that were giving me trouble, but holy poo poo I'd scarf down mosses like peanuts. They were plentiful, and more importantly, Toxic was terrifying.

Yeah, mosses got used a lot, especially since I lingered in Darkroot and powered through Blighttown.

StashAugustine
Mar 24, 2013

Gyshall posted:

Seriously, rope kid, even if you did Josh Sawyer presents Josh Sawyer's Darklands 2 I'd back it.

:colbert:

StashAugustine
Mar 24, 2013

Isn't it a Pikmin? (or is that :thejoke:)

StashAugustine
Mar 24, 2013

Demiurge4 posted:

I can only remember this happening in DA1. There's Alistair killing the bad guy if he's the one duelling him and the bow rogue lady will flip her poo poo if you destroy the ashes of the saint. I think you can get out of the second one if you have enough relations though.

Shale will also attack if you don't pick the 'good' option at the end of the dwarf area, I think Wynne will leave if you destroy the ashes (Leliana straight up fights you). I think Zevran turns on you under certain conditions. I never played DA2, but I do remember from a half-finished LP that there were a few moments where you could get your companions to sort out a problem for you.

StashAugustine
Mar 24, 2013

User0015 posted:

That is a romance I could get behind, honestly. Something twisted and black, devoid of any real love, and instead full of jealousy and control. A Requiem for a Dream style of romance, where the romance obliterates both partners lives and livelihood, their relationship eventually disintegrating as they both hit rock bottom.

Darth Sion? :v:

StashAugustine
Mar 24, 2013

AnonSpore posted:

Wait wait, you're not going to make a ranger rogue named Inigo Montoya in this game?

Cyrano de Bergerac :colbert:

StashAugustine
Mar 24, 2013

I notice Sawyer's not doing the AMA :v:

StashAugustine
Mar 24, 2013

I was making a "reddit is awful" joke.

StashAugustine
Mar 24, 2013

Fintilgin posted:

I figure now Ropekid can make his ~realistic historical~ RPG, they can just release it under the Crusader Kings banner. :c00l:

I would literally kill to see this happen.

e: v :fap:

StashAugustine fucked around with this message at 20:14 on Mar 19, 2014

StashAugustine
Mar 24, 2013

Cheston posted:

I went back to look, and the RPS review of New Vegas is kinda surreal. Apparently it was worse than Fallout 3 because they didn't fill the wasteland with Interesting Stuff, like inexplicably-50's cannibal family and the Republic of Dave.

I generally like RPS but their New Vegas and Far Cry 3 reviews are their two worst moments.

StashAugustine
Mar 24, 2013

Shadeoses posted:

If the lore and maps on Dyrwood, etc, are detailed enough it should be possible to straight up mod the whole continent into CK2 :spergin:

Given the time period of PoE should I start studying CK2 or EU4 modding?

StashAugustine
Mar 24, 2013

All I want from CK2 is every character having a little "murder this fucker" button beneath their portrait.

StashAugustine
Mar 24, 2013

Drifter posted:

If I ever help make a video game all voice overs are going to be sped up by 25% (and then pitch modulated down, of course), because everyone reads their lines so loving slowly.

I tend to skip through voiced dialogue (unless it's really good acting or hugely important) but still like that there's a voice there. It's kinda weird.

StashAugustine
Mar 24, 2013

Counterpoint: zweihanders.

StashAugustine
Mar 24, 2013

Mordaedil posted:

They really should have gone with that long-rear end title suggested early on in the thread.

StashAugustine
Mar 24, 2013

SunAndSpring posted:

Well, they used to be a bunch of poor dudes that defended pilgrims on the road before they got loaded.

Watching pilgrims also meant they had to watch their valuables, and then the whole banking thing grew out of that.

StashAugustine
Mar 24, 2013

The Sharmat posted:

So what is the Bleak Walkers' moral justification for what they're doing? Are they trying the whole "We will make war so terrible that no one will ever dare make war again." thing? Trying to be their setting's atomic bomb?

It's either deterrence or total war. Break the enemy so badly that they can't respond and there won't be any more trouble. Better to have a short and brutal war than a limited one that drags on for years.

StashAugustine
Mar 24, 2013

New Vegas and Alpha Protocol were definitely playable, especially after they got patched a bunch, but they are still very, very buggy and unpolished.

StashAugustine
Mar 24, 2013

Yeah it's much easier to believe that Bethesda QA is hilariously incompetent and Obisidan was on a rushed schedule than Bethesda was engaged in a conspiracy to gently caress over Obsidian.

StashAugustine
Mar 24, 2013

Off the top of my head, enemies will occasionally disappear when reloading a save and there's a hitch in the level loading that can throw off your aim while moving.

StashAugustine
Mar 24, 2013

epitasis posted:

I want an Obsidian game version of Goldie Hawn's "Protocol." let this replace all fantasy game pitches especially "archer protocol" until the end of time thank you

The Fourth Protocol with Michael Caine reprising. :colbert:

StashAugustine
Mar 24, 2013

CommissarMega posted:

Can't find it, so have this one:

That's pretty much Bioware in a nutshell.

StashAugustine
Mar 24, 2013

Pickpocket was pretty decent in Fallout where it was just rolled into Sneak.

StashAugustine
Mar 24, 2013

Wolfsheim posted:

Sneaking in isometric games is almost universally terrible. Pickpocketing was only decent in Fallout because they forgot to actually make it tied to the useless Sneak skill.

I meant Fallout New Vegas (and also 3 I suppose)

StashAugustine
Mar 24, 2013

Captain Oblivious posted:

Sometimes it's a barrel. Or a bush.

Is there a mariachi outfit perchance?

StashAugustine
Mar 24, 2013

isk posted:

It does for me. Lots of skills, lots of build diversity, several spell combos. Gameplay's fun overall. Awesome NPC pathfinding around hazards and obstacles. Fair bit of content. Some neat quality of life things, like being able to change appearance or builds mid-game.

Story, music, and UI are meh. Not offensively bad, but not amazing.

Level thresholds are unforgiving. Quest text is vague w/r/t direction. Some talents (Leech, Comeback Kid) are borderline overpowered.

How hard is it to screw up a build? Can I just kinda throw points at whatever looks cool and make it work?

StashAugustine
Mar 24, 2013

Disco Infiva posted:

Happy two days after my birthday to me :toot:

StashAugustine
Mar 24, 2013

Everyone knows Darklands' combat would work best as a Dark Souls-inspired action game anyway :colbert:

StashAugustine
Mar 24, 2013

Mordaedil posted:

NWN still does shadows better than any game made in the last decade.

Yeah, I guess they are very simple shadows, but they at least work.

I'm sorry, FEAR came out in the past ten years.

StashAugustine
Mar 24, 2013

Krowley posted:

It was a fairly common puzzle though I don't think BW used it in any other game than KOTOR and ME1

Technically DA:O :v:

StashAugustine
Mar 24, 2013

Ravenfood posted:

I work night shift tonight. :(

Me too :(:hf::(

Oh well, play it tomorrow I guess.

StashAugustine
Mar 24, 2013

oh no big i just have work at 5 est

StashAugustine
Mar 24, 2013

I have been having issues with character hitboxes, it feels like fights are too chaotic ot get a grip on right now.

StashAugustine
Mar 24, 2013

Also it might just be me but I'm getting hangups of about a second or so every time an AoE goes off.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

StashAugustine
Mar 24, 2013

rope kid posted:

Yeah Soul Ignition is too strong/long considering it does Raw damage (ignores armor).

And yes, Talents will be expanded significantly after adjustments are made to the core classes. It's one of the things we highlighted in the Welcome to the Backer Beta update.

Will we get more Talents in the final game then? One of my worries is that in the 4 or so levelups the only combat-related choice a rouge makes is one talent.

• Locked thread