Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
SoggyBobcat
Oct 2, 2013

No Charisma stat? Good.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SoggyBobcat
Oct 2, 2013

I found that my usage of consumable buffs increased in games where the effect durations were longer than the sixty seconds or so. I've always felt that potions should be semi-rare and expensive and that they should last long enough for multiple encounters, not just one.

SoggyBobcat
Oct 2, 2013

The issue I have is how these attributes will effect NPC interactions and the like. I'm envisioning scenarios where humble farmboys-turned-fighters have become fountains of knowledge and lore because they wanted to hit things harder with their clubs.

SoggyBobcat
Oct 2, 2013

Zore posted:

You're tying intelligence together with knowledge. Nothing says that humbler farmboys have to be dumb as poo poo, and even the most intelligent people in the world might have been raised on a farm and sheltered from everything.

Besides, its a game mechanic designed to harmonize character building. It is a bit unfortunate that Obsidian kept do many D&D terms because it seems to be hanging up a lot of people, especially when they already replaced Bard with Chanter and Psion with Cipher for this exact reason, but making stats work uniformly across characters is definitely a good idea that I'm really interested to see in Pillars of Eternity.

I looked it up on the wiki and apparently there is a lore skill, and skills in general seem to be tied to classes, not atttributes. So while my previous example may no longer prove to be true, the point can still hold true: I can have a warrior that has "learned" to crush an orlan flat with a warhammer, but lacks the strength to push a boulder out of the way of a cave entrance.

I agree that getting rid of dump stats is something Obsidian should try to do, but this just seems counter-intuitive and backwards. 'Strength' isn't a D&D term; everyone know what it means. But rather than be a measurmeant of my characters ability to exert physical force, it's instead measuring my characters ability to withstand physical force (Health and Fortitude), the opposite. There's an off-putting disconnect between what players expect it to provide and what it actually does in gameplay.

I think the easiest solution would be to find more suitable names for the attributes.

SoggyBobcat
Oct 2, 2013

I was writing a post about how it doesn't matter how "smart" one fights if your opponent is in full plate armour and you can't generate the force to pierce or puncture it, but it made me think of an idea: have characters with high strength be able to ignore a fraction of DT.

SoggyBobcat
Oct 2, 2013

Flagrant Abuse posted:

A smarter person will be able to suss out the weak points in the armour more easily, though.

It depends on the equipped weapon. If I have a warhammer, I'm not trying to suss out weak points, I'm trying to hit the guy really hard and concuss him. Still you have a point: perhaps tie armour-piercing using light weapons to perception and heavy weapons to strength.

SoggyBobcat
Oct 2, 2013

Furism posted:

If you have a warhammer, you don't need to find a weak spot or puncture the armor. A blunt weapon against a plate armor is, like, THE kind of weapon you want. It can blow up the organs of the dude under it and stuff.

Are you disagreeing with me or...?

The faster/harder you swing the weapon, the more force is being transferred through the armour and into the opponent. That's the justification behind the idea.

SoggyBobcat
Oct 2, 2013

Rope kid, how does a high STR/low CON warrior class play like? My initial assumption when I read what the stats do and the health/stamina dynamic is that a character that wants to be in the thick of the fighting would be better off investing in CON over STR, but now I'm not so sure.

SoggyBobcat
Oct 2, 2013

The way I'm seeing it it looks like the effectiveness of strength is tied to how easy or difficult it is to rest between encounters. Too easy and it becomes a borderline dump stat, too hard and it becomes a priority.

SoggyBobcat
Oct 2, 2013

Zore posted:

Paladin

Can wizards and whatnot make use of a paladin's passive buffs? If so, arming one with a firearm and putting him/her in the rear with the squishies might have some benefit.

SoggyBobcat
Oct 2, 2013

Boggus posted:

Just make Chris Avellone write the romances. All of them.

I'd prefer a romance with Chris Avellone.

SoggyBobcat
Oct 2, 2013

It always seems like the more effort a setting goes to explain things like demographics and economics, the easier it is to find holes and peculiarities. It's usually better for most settings to just leave things relatively abstract.

SoggyBobcat
Oct 2, 2013

Shale wasn't cut because of her characterization, she was cut because BioWare had trouble implementing her model. She would get stuck in doorways and in geometry and stuff.

SoggyBobcat
Oct 2, 2013

JanPospisil posted:

He literally lays "hands of the King" on Éowyn and Faramir.

That's more of a royal bloodline sort of thing rather than any overt use of magic.

SoggyBobcat
Oct 2, 2013

Ravenfood posted:

The most "overt" magic Gandalf ever uses is throwing pinecones stuffed with gunpowder fireballs. Other than that, he summons a dim grey light, cracks a weakened narrow span that a multi-ton beast just stepped on to, and talks to a few animals. (I might be forgetting something) Beorn can turn into a goddamn bear, why isn't he the most powerful wizard? Because that's how the magic of the protagonists in Middle-Earth generally works. It is a royal bloodline sort of thing. A magic sort of royal bloodline thing.

edit: I forgot. After Gandalf comes back as the White, he can summon a bright white light.

To use DnD terms, what Aragorn did was more comparable to a racial or class ability, not casting a fourth-level cleric spell.

Captain Oblivious posted:

Yes it is. Magic being natural phenomena relative to the setting does not make it not magic. Stop being pointlessly pedantic.

There's a conversation between Frodo and Galadriel in The Fellowship of the Ring where Frodo asks here how the Elves do magic. I don't quite recollect the conversation, but Galadriel basically doesn't understand what he's asking her, because, at least to her, Elves *are* magic.

SoggyBobcat
Oct 2, 2013

Ravenfood posted:

And the greatest wizard of the age is actually a level 4 Bard. Alternatively, a level 30 bard that uses metamagic on level 1 spells to improve the range to ungodly levels, whichever you want. (Also, a class ability? Like, lay on hands, perhaps? Because that's a supernatural ability that's blocked by anti-magic field, so even in DnD terms, its "magic". Aragorn is just a multiclassed ranger/paladin. Not seeing your issue here)

What I'm saying is, DnD terms are utterly inappropriate to the setting and trying to make the two fit together is really a non-starter.

Lay on Hands was the specific ability I was thinking of, yeah.

But I am agreeing with you. It is an awkward fit. The greatest Man of the Third Age, with an insane bloodline that goes back to the great Elf Lords of the First Age and even a Maia, who has been tutored by the likes of Gandalf and Elrond, and his magical capabilities amount to something a level one paladin can do. That... doesn't seem appropriate, does it?

But that's one of the whole points of the novels. The magic is leaving and the world is changing into the one we know today.

But anyway, I think we've all said enough on this particular topic.

SoggyBobcat
Oct 2, 2013

Mordaedil posted:

I mean, it has magical loafes of bread that staves off starvation for longer than normal bread, how the hell do you really work that into a game like Pillars of Eternity?

It's all in the item descriptions.

SoggyBobcat
Oct 2, 2013

I'm pretty sure one of Alistair or Loghain will always join you in the endgame.

SoggyBobcat fucked around with this message at 20:29 on Feb 11, 2014

SoggyBobcat
Oct 2, 2013

Is it possible to deal damage without it being attached to one of the attack types, like a "Damage Hit Points" spell?

AngryBooch posted:

For most of the effects you describe a character would roll a willpower save or the attacker would roll against a character's willpower defense depending on what system you're playing. If paralysis was the effect of a poison it'd be a fortitude save.

POE, like D&D, has three saves: Willpower for mind-affecting debilitations, fortitude for diseases and poisons and such, and reflex saves for getting out of the way of booby traps/explosions and other dangerous surprises.

Willpower is called Psyche in PoE.

SoggyBobcat
Oct 2, 2013

A 'cleared' marker on Skyrim's map was necessary beause almost all the dungeons were same-y and it was important to tell the player if they've cleaned this one out sixty hours ago. I'd imagine that in Eternity there are fewer dungeons but they will be more unique and memorable to the player.

SoggyBobcat fucked around with this message at 17:30 on Feb 23, 2014

SoggyBobcat
Oct 2, 2013

I hope that the first level or four can be completed early in the game, and then all the deeper levels are opened at some point in the mid-game.

SoggyBobcat
Oct 2, 2013

Has rope kid/Obsidian said anything about an experience or level cap?

SoggyBobcat
Oct 2, 2013

Jerusalem posted:

I keep thinking I don't want to do my usual thing and play a Paladin, but the Paladins in this sound so good, and now The Bleak Walkers description too.... I'm gonna be playing a Paladin :shobon:

Same here, except with there being a Paladin party member I'm now inclined to try something else for a first-time playthrough, since having two Paladin's in a party seems sort of redundant.

SoggyBobcat
Oct 2, 2013

Are the Bleak Walkers 100% paladins? Do they have auxiliaries and non-paladin rank-and-file? Considering paladins are said to have special souls and the implication that they're overall somewhat uncommon, that there would be a significant number of like-minded paladins to outfit what seems like a large mercenary army seens unlikely. The other paladin orders seem somewhat more decentralized.

SoggyBobcat
Oct 2, 2013

AnonSpore posted:

I guess what I don't grock is, if a company of Bleak Walkers loses (dies) in a battle, and that's that, doesn't that mean the bell has been unrung, to borrow rope kid's expression? The way I'd envisioned it was that if a company of Bleak Walkers is defeated, then the Bleak Walkers send even more troops to end the battle even more crushingly, because that's literally what they believe in. It kinda takes away from the mystique of a terrifying band of killers for hire who will give no quarter in battle, if the answer to that is just to defeat them.

But... not really? If you participate in enough battles, you're eventually going to lose (or underperform) a few. A group that can stay strong despite setbacks is better than a group that always win, at least in a narrative sense.

SoggyBobcat
Oct 2, 2013

Does getting spoiled on the opening really ruin a person's enjoyment of something to any noticeable degree? If anything, I'd imagine that enjoyment would be increased slightly, as it might reduce some frustration or confusion at the beginning due to unfamiliarity.

SoggyBobcat
Oct 2, 2013

No, it doesn't really matter, and no, this isn't some sort of interrogation. It's just not a position I really understand at all. How do you spoil the opening minutes of a story or a game or whatever?

SoggyBobcat
Oct 2, 2013

Drifter posted:

By being told about it before you can experience it for yourself? The same as spoiling anything else?

Sure, but reading someone else's barebones preview of the first twenty minutes of gameplay isn't really the same as experiencing it for yourself.

SoggyBobcat
Oct 2, 2013

AnonSpore posted:

That is the point, yes.

Those experiences aren't mutually exclusive.

GWG's preview goes "this happens, and then this happens" but at no point does it explain why it's happening. There's nothing to be spoiled because nothing's been established - no character motivations, no central conflict, not even tone.

SoggyBobcat
Oct 2, 2013

If you're not going to engage in any discussion and just be a condescending prick, can you kindly gently caress off? Thanks.

SoggyBobcat
Oct 2, 2013

jneer posted:

Those are an awesome series of bad posts, please stop. You acknowledged it's personal preference several posts ago and thought it was a good idea to keep digging. You're not going to debate him into enjoying a story your way.

I wasn't trying to force my views on anyone; rather, I was trying to understand the views of others.

e: wording.

SoggyBobcat
Oct 2, 2013

2house2fly posted:

That and lockpicking could be folded together into a general "dexterity for theft purposes" skill or something.

Isn't that the Mechanics skill or has something changed?

SoggyBobcat
Oct 2, 2013

verybad posted:

What's the reasoning for this limitation?

You need both hands to reload I would wager.

SoggyBobcat
Oct 2, 2013

verybad posted:

Maybe I understood ropekid wrong, but I thought he meant that you can only ever have one ranged weapon in your set of weapons.

That would seem like a strange limitation if that were true.

e: can you have more than two weapon sets?

SoggyBobcat
Oct 2, 2013

Everything is racist.

SoggyBobcat
Oct 2, 2013

prometheusbound2 posted:

Something I really enjoy in RPGs are quests that allow the character to solve some problem without combat. I know that Pillars of Eternity is emulating the infinity engine, and with the exception of Torment these games are pretty much dungeon crawlers.

But to what extent will these quests be available in the game?

E.g., I really liked the various quests in Arcanum where you'd negotiate treaties, get involved in small town politics, or solve murder mysteries.

ropekid has gone on record saying that there will be potential conflicts you can resolve peacefully, although not all of them. The situation at the camp in the gameplay demos looks like one such case (although ropekid opted for combat).

SoggyBobcat
Oct 2, 2013

Earlier, someone mentioned having the red go up the portrait rather than down, and honestly this is the only thing I would like to see changed. Everything else is fine.

SoggyBobcat
Oct 2, 2013

Damage resistance based on Resolve? Every point of Resolive above ten equals 0.5%-2% (whatever is most balanced) less damage from all sources. Fairly minor when Resolve is low, but can add up quickly with, say, a buff from a potion.

SoggyBobcat
Oct 2, 2013

Iron Man mode gives all enemy wizards an instant death spell the player can't make a save against.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SoggyBobcat
Oct 2, 2013

Did they say what time the beta would be up at? Midnight?

• Locked thread