Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Nevets
Sep 11, 2002

Be they sad or be they well,
I'll make their lives a hell

Jimbot posted:

Rope kid, I have a spergy thing to hit you with: Gameplay balance aside (and it's the obvious reason), why can't a person wear 8-10 rings (one for each finger and thumbs if they choose)? What lore reason would you come up with that was plausible without making players sneering "Oh bullshit" at it? I know you guys over at Obsidian love the little details, and I love you guys for it, so I'm curious if you or anyone else at Obsidian ever gave that matter much thought. If I were an adventurer I'd throw on as much magical protection I could. Without getting too nuts with the whole earrings and piercings, I'd throw on at least 10 rings and a couple necklaces of protection if I were seeking out danger. What lore reason would prevent me from doing that? If I can't have multiple rings why can I equip two? If it's because the power would overwhelm my limbs what about toe rings? Ect. ect.

Again, spergy as hell, but I'm just curious if any of you guys ever gave this dumb thing any serious thought, since that's what you guys tend to do (again, love that you guys do).

It's a relic from before everyone bought all their rings over the aethernet. Magic item shops used to make most of their profits by buying used gear and reselling it for nearly full retail. This worked fine for swords and armor because most people didn't want to bother to carry around more than one at a time, so they sold their old stuff when they got a better one. But small stuff like rings are easy to transport, and the resale market was lovely. So the various shopkeeper's guilds got together with the enchanter's guilds and had them build in restrictions so you couldn't have more than two rings active at the same time; and now most people sell their spare rings rather than dig in their sack to find the appropriate one for the current crisis and swap it with one they're wearing, all before they get hit with the dragon fire / fall off the cliff / have their leg cutoff in a trap.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

• Locked thread