Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Militant Lesbian
Oct 3, 2002

rope kid posted:

A question for anyone reading the thread: if you saw a list of stats presented like this:

Might
Constitution
Dexterity
Perception
Intellect
Resolve

or

Power
Constitution
Dexterity
Perception
Intellect
Resolve

What would you assume the stat that affects damage would be? Based on that answer, if you discovered that stat affected all damage and healing, including damage and healing from sources like guns and wands and bows and fireball spells, how would you feel about it?

I'd assume the stat that affects damage would be Cunning because that's totally what you should rename Int to. Don't change anything else about the system. The word implies a dangerous opponent, one who knows right where to strike, someone who can out-think their opponents. Strength works fine as a measure of ability to absorb punishment.

MartianAgitator posted:

Because you're doing it wrong. The Latin pluralization of "bonus" would be "boni", pronounced "bone-eye." What you wrote would be pronounced "boney-eye" and would be the plural of bonius. That is not a word. Everything you know is wrong.

You're both doing it wrong, because if you feel the need to be all classical Latin, then the correct term is "bonum" (plural "bona"). In Latin, "bonus" is the masculine nominative and means something similar to "good man" or "gentleman". Bonum is the neuter form that describes a non-gendered "good thing".

(nobody except trained Latin speakers should attempt to use Latin-style pluralization because non-speakers inevitably mangle it due to Latin's complex system of cases)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Militant Lesbian
Oct 3, 2002

Captain Oblivious posted:

BUT CUNNING IS A STAT THAT IS IN DRAGON AGE 2 :byodood:

DA2 also had swords, elves, and (possibly) dragons in it, and it looks like PoE will have those too.

So I guess what we're saying is pack it up, PoE is going to suck. :dawkins101:

Militant Lesbian
Oct 3, 2002

Please never use Deadliest Warrior as a source of citable information on anything, ever. Thank you.

Militant Lesbian
Oct 3, 2002

Aardark posted:

For some reason I find it absolutely hilarious that you mention Avengers as an example of that.

Why? It's an excellent example of a movie that succeeded on the strength of its plot, direction, and acting, and only using as much cgi as needed (rather than using as much cgi spectacle as possible in lieu of story, a la Michael Bay, etc).

Militant Lesbian
Oct 3, 2002

This is the correct answer. The only difference between Odin and Gandalf is one of them still had both eyes.

Or to put it in more gamery terms, Tolkien just reskinned Odin when he made his mod for Norse myth.

Militant Lesbian
Oct 3, 2002

Wingless posted:

as though game mechanics should be reward enough without XP/loot etc

The 'reward' is that the game mechanics should be 'fun'. The mechanics themselves should be well enough designed to be entertaining. Your reward for playing (and using these mechanics) is having 'fun'. If you are not having fun playing the game, it is a bad game and the answer is 'you should not play it', not 'I need the devs to give me gold stars and tell me I'm special'.

Militant Lesbian
Oct 3, 2002

Otto Skorzeny posted:

OTOH, if you want to have a measured discussion of how the stateside bands inspired by the NWoBHM generally failed to inherit the lyrical artistry and complexity of their forebears across the pond

NWoBHM is still the best metal. (Though you have to make an exception for Queensryche since their first couple albums are pretty much indistinguishable from the Brit new wave)

Militant Lesbian
Oct 3, 2002

GetWellGamers posted:

The better parts of game development are always "Holy poo poo, I'm having this much fun and they're paying me for it, too?"

The other 99% of game dev is banging your head on a desk wondering why you didn't go for an easier job like toxic waste cleanup or firefighter.

Militant Lesbian
Oct 3, 2002

FRINGE posted:

RK should do the whole game with his conlang(s) for the spoken parts.

Only if all of the dialogue is sung, opera-style, by Ropey himself.

We need more of him singing.

Militant Lesbian
Oct 3, 2002
Nonsense, any bard or multiclassed wizard worth his salt has shield, mage armor, and if you're high enough level, stone skin spells on at all times. Much better than lovely elven chain. What are you, some suboptimal scrub? Chain is for worthless classes like fighters, caster supremacy needs no stinking chain mail!

Militant Lesbian
Oct 3, 2002

Furism posted:

Let's not get into the discussion of digital vs analog. It's the music equivalent of PC vs Consoles.

You're going to be really mad when I inform you that most studio metal albums made in the past 15 years pretty much completely replace the drummer's actual recorded drums with samples because they sound better.

:dealwithit:

Militant Lesbian
Oct 3, 2002

El Pollo Blanco posted:

That's not really accurate, it's mostly because at the absurdly fast tempos metal bands want to play at, when you try and record a real drummer all the different parts of the kit just bleed together, making the recording sound messy, no matter what extremes the sound engineers go to with isolating each part of the kit.

Yes, it sounds better. Good to see we're on the same page.

Militant Lesbian
Oct 3, 2002

Furism posted:

Some of them are moving back to tape.

In any case, anybody curious about the digital vs analog recording should watch Dave Grohl's Sound City.

Moving back to tape is the musician equivalent of riding a fixie bike, smoking e-cigs, drinking PBR, and wearing 'ironically bad' fashion; hipster nonsense, pining for the days before everything was ruined and became uncool (this never happened).

Militant Lesbian
Oct 3, 2002

rope kid posted:

BTW if anyone is interested in a good d20 African-styled setting, check out Nyambe from Atlas Games. I've seen people argue that it could be better, but it's clear a lot of research went into making it.

Seconding this. I'm running a home brew gurps campaign for my wife that is essentially black female African Conan (my wife is black), and it's been fun doing research and world building for it. There are a couple of authors who do primarily Afrocentric fantasy and sci-fi, though the only one I can remember off the top of my head is Octavia Butler. Anyone bored with standard Tolkienian high-fantasy (or just Eurocentric fantasy in general) should pick up a couple good books about African myth and folklore, there's tons of really interesting, totally original stuff that pretty much has gone totally unused in western media that can be mined for games and stories.

Militant Lesbian
Oct 3, 2002
Does the frog helm talk? It should yell at people to "get out".

Militant Lesbian
Oct 3, 2002

I think it would be a pretty good in-game reference.

Militant Lesbian
Oct 3, 2002
Icewind Dale was also, IIRC, the first game Rope Kid worked on. And he was lead designer for IWD II, which is also excellent. The IWD games have the best tactical combat and encounter design of any of the IE games.

Militant Lesbian
Oct 3, 2002
I need to change my address on the backer site since I've moved since I originally signed up - has anyone else been able to change their address info? Clicking on 'edit' just gives me a form to email customer service instead of actually editing the address.

Militant Lesbian
Oct 3, 2002

Ladolcevita posted:

Yeah, that really disappointed me. I've had to play at 1080p. Playing at 1440 was too blurry and all the UI elements were tiny. Playing at 1080p hasn't been too bad but I wish the inventory et al were full-screen.

This doesn't bode well for people with huge monitors like mine (2560x1600) :(

p.s. you don't have to add -p after your horizontal resolution, it's a holdover from the early days of HDTV when people still had CRT televisions that were interlaced and you had to differentiate between 1080i (interlaced) and 1080p (progressive) - it's utterly redundant when talking about computer gaming as all computer monitors made since the late 80s are exclusively progressive scan - and you haven't been able to buy a non-progressive scan TV in nearly a decade, so it's obsolete when talking about console games too. :science:

Militant Lesbian
Oct 3, 2002
Does the elf baby inventory item show up after you romance the sheltered, shy, scared, elf girl party member?

Militant Lesbian
Oct 3, 2002

Sensuki posted:

Yeah that's Path of the Damned, which is just an automatic byproduct of normal tuning. I expect Hard to be challenging, but to still have sensible monster damage relative to the amount of creatures and character endurance/health levels and sensible adventuring day length. Tuning for normal difficulty probably means that may not happen.

From previous comments on the subject, I'm under the impression that monsters on hard will do identical damage/have the same health and defenses as on normal, the tuning is entirely by the addition of more or tougher enemies to each fight. I think PoTD is the only setting where enemy stats are actually different from other difficulties.

Militant Lesbian
Oct 3, 2002

doctor iono posted:

I didn't follow the LP, how far did Avellone make it in Arcanum?

The wolves. :v:

Militant Lesbian
Oct 3, 2002

Prokhor Zakharov posted:

There is in the questline of Phisstöe The Pleasure Golem

He prefers to be called "Fister Roboto".

Militant Lesbian
Oct 3, 2002

CountingWizard posted:

Mostly it was having to fiddle with settings and constantly worrying that I was going to miss a cue so I could take my next action. It was very difficult for me to tell when an action began or end based on the animation. Add to that the tediousness of having to give individual orders to five other characters besides the first and keep track of what they are supposed to be doing and the result was I never made it past the first or second acts of any of those games (and I bought/played them all when they released). It was so frustrating I eventually just started saving and reloading during battles constantly.

You know you could set the IE games to auto=pause at the end of each turn when everyone was ready for new orders, right? You can set up the auto-pauses to effectively make it a turn based game and you never need to worry about "missing an action".

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Militant Lesbian
Oct 3, 2002

MC Nietzche posted:

The RPG Codex is coming from inside the thread.

Also anyone who hated 4e is a sperglord.

I don't like it because of it's ridiculous over-emphasis on positioning, maps, and minis. I'd much rather use a more free form system that doesn't rely on tactical maps like Dungeon World or Feng Shui. In over 27 years of tabletop RPGing, I've never played with any groups that used minis for any RPGs (only for wargames like Battletech or Warhams).

Like many people here though, I think 4E would make for some amazing computer games... but it's not what I want when I'm playing actual PnP storygames.

• Locked thread