Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Cicero
Dec 17, 2003

Jumpjet, melta, jumpjet. Repeat for ten minutes or until victory is assured.

Otto Skorzeny posted:

Age of Decadence's system handles this in a neat way (proficiency in one weapon type increases proficiency in other weapon types by a scaling factor determined by how similar the weapon types are). The game has plenty of flaws, but that part is kinda nifty.
This is a good idea.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cicero
Dec 17, 2003

epitasis posted:

Actually it's not very lore-y but if you really wanted to spell it out for people, "Magnitude" wouldn't be a terrible option.
POP POP

efb

Cicero
Dec 17, 2003

SymfonyMan posted:

Yep, I never knew that either.

This is like the 2nd controller in NES Duck Hunt moving the duck all over again. :)
I discovered this on my own as a kid but nobody ever believes me that it works. :(

Also discovered the Mega Man 3 second controller trick. That one was really weird.

Cicero
Dec 17, 2003

Glad to hear that about FF. No FF I think is one major reason why certain types of video game combat are simplistic and shallow (*cough* MMORPGs). Don't have to actually think tactically about hurling ginormous fireball spell constantly when it can never hurt your allies or yourself.

Cicero
Dec 17, 2003

rope kid posted:

They can't wear anything in their head slot. This is not necessarily a dramatic loss, but there are a few nice items that can go in that slot.
So if other races also get two stat bonuses and a passive ability, but Godlike can't wear headgear, from a minmax perspective it sounds like picking a Godlike leaves you worse off than a regular race?

Cicero
Dec 17, 2003

rope kid posted:

Their passives are a little more spectacular than normalfolk.
Cool, gotcha.

Cicero
Dec 17, 2003

Irobot82 posted:

Huh, it didn't even occur to me. I always thought of rock type spells as elemental and crush type as weapon damage not spell damage. So do other elemental type spells also have other damage types? Like and icicle spear type spell being ice and piercing?
Obviously, earth spells should be crush/filthy, doing bonus damage to characters with an OCD 'perk' or who have a high fashion stat.

Cicero
Dec 17, 2003

I like that explanation of undeath. Definitely feels more 'realistic' than systems where the undead can potentially just be amoral humans who smell bad and live forever.

Cicero
Dec 17, 2003

At what point is a binding to the body broken? If I club a skeleton until each bone has been separated from the others, is the soul released at that point, or do I have to vaporize/obliterate the body?

edit: Does binding the soul to the body protect against the soul-shearing winds in the megadungeon?

Cicero fucked around with this message at 03:07 on Feb 26, 2014

Cicero
Dec 17, 2003

what

Cicero
Dec 17, 2003

Drifter posted:

If I ever help make a video game all voice overs are going to be sped up by 25% (and then pitch modulated down, of course), because everyone reads their lines so loving slowly.
Yeah I agree, the pacing for voice in RPGs seems to be perpetually set to "Dad reading bedtime story to children" instead of, say, TV series banter, which would feel more natural.

Cicero
Dec 17, 2003

I vote for a Secret of Mana-style combat personality customization board for our AI companions.

Cicero
Dec 17, 2003

If some places grant bigger rest bonuses than others, won't some players feel compelled to always go back to the place with the phattest bonus before starting a quest?

Cicero
Dec 17, 2003

Mordaedil posted:

Looked it up on wikipedia and I still wonder why Python gets so many copycats.

Do they all serve some purpose or could we really get on fine with just one or two?
Are you seriously suggesting that C# is a clone of python?

Cicero
Dec 17, 2003

Otto Skorzeny posted:

No, he's suggesting Boo is a python clone.
Oh. Well, carry on then.

Cicero
Dec 17, 2003

peak debt posted:

Star Citizen was originally asking for $500k. A nice little indie budget that will keep a couple people occupied for a year. When they hit $2m (300% more than what they originally asked for) Kickstarter stopped accepting any additional money because it frankly makes no sense overfunding a project by that much. The Star Citizen developers then made their own website and collected the next $41m through Paypal. It was only once they bypassed Kickstarter that things went completely off the rocker (a virtual towel for only $1m!), the Kickstarter people were quite reasonable about how much money they'd let people invest.
Their website's crowdfunding predated the kickstarter.

Cicero
Dec 17, 2003

GreatGreen posted:

I just don't understand this mentality. People equating their manliness or epeen with a video game difficulty setting to the point of being ashamed of it. I say this as a guy who thinks video games are awesome... video game accomplishments are pretty much the lamest possible things to be proud of. I mean it's right up there with being proud of your cup stacking speed.
The difference here is that video games are cool at least some of the time whereas cup stacking is stupid.

Cicero
Dec 17, 2003

rope kid posted:

Great Swords are also supposed to be Best of Slash/Pierce but it looks like that wasn't set up on them.
I'm pretty sure what you posted a while back was that greatswords are slash/crush.

edit: nvm guess that was pollaxes

Cicero fucked around with this message at 19:41 on Sep 5, 2014

Cicero
Dec 17, 2003

Hieronymous Alloy posted:

Setting aside the Gold Box and Infinity Engine games, I think a good argument can be made that the best RPG for its time was Darklands. The world really needs a remake of that one.
Are you aware of Serpent in the Staglands?

Cicero
Dec 17, 2003

IIRC there's a bunch of toggleable options for when to trigger automatic pause.

Cicero
Dec 17, 2003

Delayed is good. Fair or not, their reputation for buggy games means they have to be extra double plus good about stability and polish this time, otherwise the headlines will be, "Obsidian has all the time in the world, still releases buggy game."

Cicero
Dec 17, 2003

The obvious problem with a notepad is that it will be used up. Whereas a DVD will sit unused and pristine in its case, forever.

Cicero
Dec 17, 2003

Kibayasu posted:

Clearly that's a cat and a cheese wheel.
I was thinking pig, but you're probably right.

Cicero
Dec 17, 2003

I hope the expansion is standalone. "In order to buy this game that I want, I have to buy two games?" is archaic at this point I think.

Cicero
Dec 17, 2003

DrManiac posted:

I hope it's not since I love continuity in games like this. I really hope expansions are also like IE games where they just assume you have a pretty good grasp of the game and start near the level cap of the base game.
It can still be a continuation of the story, standalone just means you aren't required to own the base game.

Cicero
Dec 17, 2003

The Crotch posted:

Complain about the pathfinding in the IE games all you want, it's still got nothing on Starcraft 1.
Dragoons actually had a bug specific to them where they thought they were smaller than they actually were. So basically yeah they were dumb, but the other units weren't nearly as bad. Starcraft 2 went the completely opposite directing for pathing and made it so smooth that it actually hurt the game.

Cicero
Dec 17, 2003

As far as engagement goes, I'm not in the backer beta, but have they tried adding an ability with a long cast time (maybe 3-4 seconds?) to break engagement? So basically instead of spending health by breaking engagement recklessly, you'd be spending time to break engagement cautiously. That seems like it could keep the idea of engagement useful while giving more options to work around it.

Cicero
Dec 17, 2003

Nelson Mandingo posted:

If a game allows you to rest after every encounter with no real negative repercussions then by design (intended or not) you should rest after every encounter.
Yup. Games are supposed to provide a challenge, which players are then supposed to find a smart way to beat. This is a theme shared by almost all games. Saying, "well actually the system worked fine as long as you didn't do [obvious thing] to make yourself very strong" is incredibly dumb.

It's one thing if you don't necessarily expect players to find some weird exploit or obsessively min-max, but if a mechanic is a core part of the game, makes combat a lot easier, and there's no restrictions on it, going, "well players just aren't supposed to use it very much because of how good it is" as justification is stupid.

Cicero fucked around with this message at 23:42 on Feb 25, 2015

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cicero
Dec 17, 2003

rope kid posted:

Adam just implemented the seed for loot a couples of weeks ago.
Does that mean reloading a save will have no effect on loot?

• Locked thread