Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Chevy Slyme
May 2, 2004

We're Gonna Run.

We're Gonna Crawl.

Kick Down Every Wall.

Scorchy posted:

Lake of drow tombs forever in my heart.

If I can't install a mod to revert to this within 24 hours of release, I will be very angry.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Chevy Slyme
May 2, 2004

We're Gonna Run.

We're Gonna Crawl.

Kick Down Every Wall.

Captain Oblivious posted:

I think you're confused. His ability to engage multiple entities already occupies said targets that's the whole point. The Fighter is sticky and hard to get away from.

No, I think that's assumed. He's arguing that fighters should also be able to make other fighters less sticky, by preventing them from engaging the fighters allies.

Chevy Slyme
May 2, 2004

We're Gonna Run.

We're Gonna Crawl.

Kick Down Every Wall.

DatonKallandor posted:

Nothing Lovecraft is copyright. A certain dick claimed he had the copyright for decades, then it turned out he didn't and by that time the copyright had run out. Now it's public domain. You can do all your lovecrafting you want for free - and charge for the product.

A specific setting based on Lovecraft's stuff might be patented, but as long as you don't specifically make your own setting the same one, even if it has the same elements, you're fine.

Copyright is not patent is not trademark. Please don't use the terms interchangeably, as they mean very different things.

Chevy Slyme
May 2, 2004

We're Gonna Run.

We're Gonna Crawl.

Kick Down Every Wall.
Alternately, offer a few 'feats' that allow you to double dip (maybe even at a rate half as good as if you just stacked the 'intended' stat) a second primary stat. I.e. "heavy hitter" adds strength to damage, or "zen body" adds Int to health, "Stubborn", adds Resolve to Stamina or whatever.

There are a whole lot of ways to keep the skeleton of the proposed system in place and still allow for builds where Str means you hit things harder with your heavy bludgeoning implement of choice.

Chevy Slyme
May 2, 2004

We're Gonna Run.

We're Gonna Crawl.

Kick Down Every Wall.
Re: Gunchat - I kind of hope guns aren't just a (subpar/superior) alternative to longbows or slings or crossbows or whatever, and instead have a bit more flavor to them. Like, if we're dealing with low tech early guns, maybe pistols should be one shot short range (like, barely longer than polearm range), high damage tools with a huge bonus to sneak attack damage for rogues? A high Str rogue could carry a bunch of guns because they can't be reloaded effectively In combat. A Blunderbuss meanwhile is the aoe alternative to the longbow - lower damage, less range, but high spread of targets, or whatever.

Games where guns are just new models for bows with different sound effects and either much better damage or much worse damage or worst of all only good damage with a bunch of otherwise mediocre chardev choices is dumb.

Guns being bad against armor and strong against force fields while traditional weapons are vice versa is a start, but I hope we can go further than that, because otherwise it's just a Str/Inventory tax.

FRINGE posted:

Option B would be an IWW rep Old One. Privatize THIS plutocrat scum!
(Wobblies: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Industrial_Workers_of_the_World)

I want this to be a real thing.

Chevy Slyme
May 2, 2004

We're Gonna Run.

We're Gonna Crawl.

Kick Down Every Wall.

SurrealityCheck posted:

I'll be honest: I want a railgun. Wait, no: the lodestone-amber cannon!

Phew, sufficiently olde.

Only usable by a Muscle Wizard and Gunbarian working as a team.

Chevy Slyme
May 2, 2004

We're Gonna Run.

We're Gonna Crawl.

Kick Down Every Wall.

Disco Infiva posted:

If I remember correctly, guns in PoE are powerful and good against wizard's arcane veil, but inaccurate and slow.

Yeah, this is what I was referring to. The problem with this model is that if the only reason to keep a gun around is because it is a Wizard-Killing Dynamo, it's essentially an inventory tax, just like needing to keep otherwise inferior silver weapons around in case of Surprise Werewolves, which is kind of a waste of a gameplay mechanic.

Chevy Slyme
May 2, 2004

We're Gonna Run.

We're Gonna Crawl.

Kick Down Every Wall.

DatonKallandor posted:

Actually the unlimited out-of-combat-stash and limited-in-combat-inventory is exactly the kind of environment where niche weapons are a good gameplay mechanic. When there is no out-of-combat inventory tax, having to decide between bringing the mage-killer gun or the silver anti-undead sword is awesome - especially when an inventory focused (Strength) Character doesn't have to choose in exchange for missing out on the other attributes.
Unless the Mage-Killing Gun and Undead-Killing Sword is literally useless on anything else - that'd just suck and encourage save scumming and looking poo poo up on wikis.

Yeah, the key is to make Str. be useful to allow for more per-encounter optimizing rather than just "You can't do jack poo poo to wizards and werewolves without carrying around junk", and simultaneously, to make that junk useful for more than just killing Wizards and Werewolves.

Also, in general, I'm of the opinion that "Able to gently caress up $Target" is a cool thing for a weapon type to have, but if it's the primary way said weapon is better than other weapons and not just Another Benefit, it gets to be just an annoying reason to play inventory tetris pretty fast.

I.E. I'm cool with guns being better at killing wizards, but there's got to be some other reason you'd want to use guns against lots of other targets or they suck. And it can't just be that guns are really good at killing wizards and as good as your other weapons (or worse yet, not as good, but good enough) against everything else. And similarly, there ought to be some pretty good reasons why you'd not want to use guns.

Chevy Slyme
May 2, 2004

We're Gonna Run.

We're Gonna Crawl.

Kick Down Every Wall.

coffeetable posted:

In general, players respond negatively to time/vital resource limits (often due to anxiety) unless they find some way to stop or reset the clock. Majora’s Mask is one of the only games I can think of that manages to use a time limit in a way that creates tension but (generally) doesn’t annoy players.

I think the key is that the player needs some sort of tool to manage those limits - and a good reason to not just find a way to trivialize them at the earliest opportunity. As someone that loved the Spirit Eater mechanic, but finds the Fallout timer tiresome, that's the key difference.

That said, the Spirit Eater mechanic isn't perfect either because if you decide to play 'good' it becomes pretty trivial to just run with it on empty once you figure it out; and there's no real incentive for the player to flirt with danger.

I honestly think the best example of a mechanic of that sort is the time limit/D Counter in Breath of Fire V: Dragon Quarter. There's significant upside to flirting with the timer, and 'screwing up' is almost rewarded by allowing you to double back to a recent checkpoint with new levels gained and the chance to unlock some stuff along the path you just 'cleared' by making a second pass. Thus, blowing up the timer while just 'grinding' is rewarded in that you get to use your awesome nuke powers that you'd otherwise feel compelled to save for the end of the game.

Chevy Slyme
May 2, 2004

We're Gonna Run.

We're Gonna Crawl.

Kick Down Every Wall.

Basic Chunnel posted:

The thing that feels off about the setting is that there's all sorts of high stakes epic-level poo poo going on and most of it is intensely regional in importance and effect.

This is entirely by design though. Like another poster said in the last page or two, the beauty (and the horror) of Forgotten Realms is that it's a single 'coherent' (for some loose definition of the word) world in which you can take the same characters, and simply by having them travel for a few weeks, jump between wildly different campaign settings, be it skullduggery and swashbuckling in Calimshan, or intense Arcano-nuclear war Realpolitik amongst the Wizards of Thay, or straight up dungeon crawling in Myth Drannor or Undermountain, or Frontier Orc Slaughter up in the northlands or or or or or or.

There's a reason none of the Forgotten Realms video games go beyond a small segment of the map, and it's because the whole point of FR is that you basically have a whole bunch of Fantasy Campaign Settings stitched together onto a single map. The point isn't how those settings interact with each other on a global scale, but rather, how the PC's interact with each of them individually and can jump around between them with relative ease.

Basically, it's all of the same appeal of Planescape without any of the weirdness that comes from running 100% planar adventures. (i.e. while ignoring the albatross that is Alignment is never fully doable in an official D&D setting, you can play a lot more fast and loose with it in the Realms than you can when you're bouncing around between the Dimension of Pure Chaotic Evil and the Dimension of Pure Lawful Neutral and routinely encountering beings that are the Living Physical Embodiment of Alignment.)

Chevy Slyme
May 2, 2004

We're Gonna Run.

We're Gonna Crawl.

Kick Down Every Wall.

epitasis posted:

"Man the true strengths of Obsidian are their writing expertise and their plots and settings and reactivity.

"Yeah, man I really wish they'd work on some other company's franchise and property!"

Funny how "writing expertise, plots, and reactivity" aren't the same as "world building", the latter of which Obsidian is (or at least,not date has shown only that they are; Eternity could change my mind here in a big way) okay at, but the former of which Obsidian is knock it out of the park good at.

Pretty much all of their best work has been on borrowed IP (with the arguable exception of New Vegas, which was borrowed IP, but which the guys at Obsidian originally created.)

Chevy Slyme
May 2, 2004

We're Gonna Run.

We're Gonna Crawl.

Kick Down Every Wall.

Mordaedil posted:

NWN games were really a different genre entirely, it was more like how you'd actually play pen and paper with friends, in that you actually needed friends to play with to play the rest of the party.

And the game was a gently caress-ton better with an actual live DM.

Have you actually played NWN2?

Because... No. This is t really true of that game. (I mean, you could make it true with a whole ton of custom work but... No, NWN2 was very much not really built for cooperative multiplayer on its main, Obsidian designed, campaigns. Aside from maybe SoZ I guess.)

Chevy Slyme
May 2, 2004

We're Gonna Run.

We're Gonna Crawl.

Kick Down Every Wall.

Mordaedil posted:

Yes, I do mean custom work, which was definately easier in NWN1, also which is why I specified with a live DM.

Alright, so you're really just talking about NWN1 and using plurals for no reason. Just wanted to make sure we were on the same page.

Chevy Slyme
May 2, 2004

We're Gonna Run.

We're Gonna Crawl.

Kick Down Every Wall.

Lawdog69 posted:

Skip the OC for NWN2. I played through it because I thought it would be cool to take a character from lvl 1 to epic levels ala the baldurs gate series but the original campaign is really pretty bad and MotB doesn't tie to it in any meaningful way. Really regret wasting 25 hrs or whatever on the OC because the only good thing about it was the trial IMO. That said, MotB is great and well worth your time.

The problem is that starting to play NWN 2 with an epic level character without really knowing it's gameplay can be intimidating and frustrating in its own right.

Chevy Slyme
May 2, 2004

We're Gonna Run.

We're Gonna Crawl.

Kick Down Every Wall.

double nine posted:

this whole argument is moronic since Rope Kid's already said that all classes will support passive and active play styles.

The Something Awful Forums > Discussion > Games > Pillars of Eternity: this whole argument is moronic since Rope Kid's already said

Chevy Slyme
May 2, 2004

We're Gonna Run.

We're Gonna Crawl.

Kick Down Every Wall.

SunAndSpring posted:

I don't play RPGs for fanservice, but if a dev wants to put fanservice in their game, I don't mind because it's their choice. But like the other guys said, this is probably a bad topic to go towards unless it actually comes up with something related to PoE, so I'm not gonna go into depth about this.

So, now that I'm amped up to play a Druid in this game, what other RPGs have druids that are fun to play?

The Shifter in NWN1 is kind of amazing in how absurdly versatile it gets once you start getting into epic levels and picking up stuff like Vampire Lord Shape and Kobold Commando Shape (An awesome sneak attack machine).

Chevy Slyme
May 2, 2004

We're Gonna Run.

We're Gonna Crawl.

Kick Down Every Wall.

GetWellGamers posted:

Look who just got this sexy, factory-sealed beast. This was your first design design credit, right Ropekid?

The rest of you plebes are free to feel jealous now. :smug:

(P.S., Get well soon :shobon: )

But did you buy Icewind Dale in order to save $10 instantly?

Chevy Slyme
May 2, 2004

We're Gonna Run.

We're Gonna Crawl.

Kick Down Every Wall.

Fuschia tude posted:

It originally comes from wargaming, just a term for older/old-school players. I'm not sure how it came to become a generic pejorative in RPGs, I don't remember seeing it used like that more than 3-4 years ago. But hey, even in Napoleon's army it was used pejoratively to refer to the old guard! :haw:

It definitely saw a huge uptick in usage right around when 3.0 came out - and an even bigger one when D&D 4 launched, from which it's basically come to stay. (Mainly, I suspect, because 4th never really 'won' convincingly.)

Basically, we have edition wars to blame for the resurgence of 'grognard' wherein it has always meant "the dudes clinging to the old version", and by coincidence, thus has also meant dumb system mastery munchkins when used in the context of D&D because, well, guess who has always clung desperately to their old version of D&D?

Chevy Slyme
May 2, 2004

We're Gonna Run.

We're Gonna Crawl.

Kick Down Every Wall.

chiefnewo posted:

I want an ARM Rune Wheel in my Collectors box.

This. I actually have a twisted nostalgia for these old school copy protection mechanisms.

What was the 7th word of the third paragraph on page 23 of the Player's Guide.(Not of the manual!)

Chevy Slyme
May 2, 2004

We're Gonna Run.

We're Gonna Crawl.

Kick Down Every Wall.

rope kid posted:

It is the default. BTW it only matches speed for clicks made out of the combat state. If you initiate any movement while the combat state is active, everyone moves at full individual speed.

Since it's only out of combat anyway, is there any particular reason that the decision was 'match to slowest' rather than 'match to fastest'? Especially in light of the fact that (if I remember rightly), there's no 'encumbrance' or other weight management minigame?

Chevy Slyme
May 2, 2004

We're Gonna Run.

We're Gonna Crawl.

Kick Down Every Wall.
Please include this dialogue as some sort of easter egg, thanks.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Chevy Slyme
May 2, 2004

We're Gonna Run.

We're Gonna Crawl.

Kick Down Every Wall.
There's a super sized optional dungeon. I'm sure level capping in there will be not just possible but expected and required for completion.

The more interesting question is: will there be any value to pursuing XP beyond the level cap? Or does it just become pointless to care about it after reaching that point?

• Locked thread