Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
surc
Aug 17, 2004

Fucker posted:

I had no expectations, did not even pitch in on the Kickstarter. Just making an observation as someone that could buy the game when it comes out.

The OP posted:

The stated goal is to create an experience reminiscent of classic Infinity Engine franchises, such as Icewind Dale, Planescape: Torment, and Baldur's Gate.

I don't know if you've ever played infinity engine games, but Pillars of Eternity basically takes the style of artwork used in those games and ups the quality an incredible amount. I guess if you don't like the style, you don't like the style?

Icewind Dale II:

Baldurs Gate 2:

(I didn't include any torment screenshots, because sigil is a pretty unique looking environment).

Also, maybe you should not phrase your observations like that. For example I disagree with your post, and think it used unnecessarily confrontational language.

Vs.

Your posting is subpar, and your points are poo poo. (Especially about the art, that one is laugh out loud worthy).

:shrug: I don't know, it's not that much extra work to express your opinion on something in a vaguely constructive manner instead of just saying "This is all not good enough, especially the lovely part".

surc fucked around with this message at 18:23 on Dec 11, 2013

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

surc
Aug 17, 2004

GetWellGamers posted:

I can think of few better gaming companies who embody a philosophy of "Screw your 'demographic research', we're making games for people who are just as insane as we are, in exactly the way we are, and if anyone doesn't like it they don't have to buy our games" than Paradox. No one is a "Casual" Crusader Kings player, no one's "Sort of" into Penumbra, but the ones that are are hardcore and loyal. Project Eternity was never anything but a love letter to the kind of oldschool RPG they all loved playing and making, and if it's got a smaller audience because of that, well, so be it. I see this as nothing but a good move.

Not that I actually disagree with your overall point about paradox not giving a gently caress about demographic research and just making poo poo they love, but I am only sort of into penumbra. :shrug:

surc
Aug 17, 2004

Kegslayer posted:

I would so play Alpha Protocol in space or failing that Archer the videogame.

"Sterling Archer needs liquor badly! Sterling Archer is about to die!" (I would also love more Alpha Protocol, or at least AP-style, games)

surc
Aug 17, 2004

Raygereio posted:

The RPS guy is banging the old "OMG Obsidian games are the buggiest games evar!1!"-drum.

I had this discussion with a friend a couple weeks ago and when I made the point that bugs are going to crop up in games that are played by a large number of people, he angrily demanded I prove that other modern games also had bugs and got all flustered when I listed a bunch of games I'd had bugs happen in. :psyduck:
I don't understand the anger.

• Locked thread