Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Fredrik1
Jan 22, 2005

Gopherslayer
:rock:
Fallen Rib

DatonKallandor posted:

I used to be a consumable hoarder, but DnD Online cured me. It's just so much fun knowing you've got extremely limited amounts of resting (1/2 usually) at specific points and you can't backtrack without resetting the dungeon. Suddenly you love all your consumables. Even Spell Scrolls (aka, money drops for a Baldurs Gate player, since you never use those) became awesome (you mean I can detect secret doors and magic missile?!) and Use Magic Device became a genuinely good skill.

Hopefully Pillars can get the balance between rare resting and consumable drop/reward rates right the same way.

I'm also a rehabilitated consumable hoarder and I was surprised how much easier games became when you actually used the items it gave you.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Fredrik1
Jan 22, 2005

Gopherslayer
Fallen Rib

GreatGreen posted:

So the frame rate will be capped then?

One frame of animation doesn't need to be tied to the update rate in which the game draws the final image.

Fredrik1
Jan 22, 2005

Gopherslayer
Fallen Rib

peak debt posted:

Star Citizen was originally asking for $500k. A nice little indie budget that will keep a couple people occupied for a year. When they hit $2m (300% more than what they originally asked for) Kickstarter stopped accepting any additional money because it frankly makes no sense overfunding a project by that much. The Star Citizen developers then made their own website and collected the next $41m through Paypal. It was only once they bypassed Kickstarter that things went completely off the rocker (a virtual towel for only $1m!), the Kickstarter people were quite reasonable about how much money they'd let people invest.

The towel thing is, you know, a joke.

Mordaedil posted:

Could you write an interesting game where at the end you have to lose without it feeling like... Fallout 3's original ending?

Spec ops: the line.

Fredrik1
Jan 22, 2005

Gopherslayer
Fallen Rib

Fuschia tude posted:

What in the gently caress? What does this mean? :psyduck:

This game is so totally clutch.

Fredrik1
Jan 22, 2005

Gopherslayer
Fallen Rib

Mymla posted:

Did people praise Final Fantasy 7's graphics when it was new?

Yes they did.

http://www.ign.com/articles/1997/09/04/final-fantasy-vii
"FF7's graphics are light years beyond anything ever seen on the PlayStation"

Fredrik1
Jan 22, 2005

Gopherslayer
Fallen Rib

Gyshall posted:

Color-blind people whine too much.

e: Solution is to have this:

Please this.

Also, put me up as one that rather would have the health go from bottom up.

Fredrik1
Jan 22, 2005

Gopherslayer
Fallen Rib
I wish it was an old school code you had to type in.

Why doesn't games have cheat codes anymore :(

Fredrik1
Jan 22, 2005

Gopherslayer
Fallen Rib

Torgo2727 posted:

You're just going to name him "Booboo" or something stupid, aren't you?

Paddington

Fredrik1
Jan 22, 2005

Gopherslayer
Fallen Rib
I agree, the traveling in BG1 was near perfect in my opinion.

Fredrik1
Jan 22, 2005

Gopherslayer
Fallen Rib

Hopper posted:

Serious questions: I mostly skim over all these posts with debates on how to intricate stats discussions, pecentage debates, theory crafting and other spreadsheet-leve ideas and constructive criticism.
I don't understand enough about game mechanics to contribute.

Now I am asking myself, is there any benefit to be gained (for me) from playing the beta and could I provide any helpful input at all? I backed collectors edition level to get a cool game and a cloth map, but I am mostly looking forward to play a cool RPG game.

Seeing all your expert opinions/in-depth knowledge has left me feeling I may not be the right level of RPG sperg (no offense) to even bother with the beta.

So should I play the Beta if I am only looking forward to enjoy a cool RPG without caring about numbers theory much? Yes/No? In case No, I may have a beta key to give way.

Eh, just play it for fun if you want to, I'll probably try it out but not gonna play it much becuase I'm not very keen on playing RPGs twice.

Fredrik1
Jan 22, 2005

Gopherslayer
Fallen Rib

Hieronymous Alloy posted:

Wait, I can be a gun (edit: blunderbuss) wizard? This game just sounds better and better

I backed the project solely for this. :colbert:

Fredrik1
Jan 22, 2005

Gopherslayer
Fallen Rib

evilmiera posted:

Yes, please, make every RPG, let us kickstart them, let us fill their coffers with filthy geek lucre.

If this happened the world would be a better place.

Fredrik1
Jan 22, 2005

Gopherslayer
Fallen Rib

Cthulhuite posted:

From what I remember you can equip an ammo type but it's an unlimited item. So you'd have a case of bolts equipped for a crossbow, and it won't run out, or a quiver of arrows or whatever.

I kinda wish it was a limited resource, but then again I've not seen much about this game I can complain about so it's no biggie.

Fredrik1
Jan 22, 2005

Gopherslayer
Fallen Rib
I am really weak and bought the beta like last friday when I found out I hadn't backed for it.

Fredrik1
Jan 22, 2005

Gopherslayer
Fallen Rib

Cthulhuite posted:

They'll e-mail us when the beta key is available, but you have to generate it on the Backer Portal site and then redeem it on Steam.

They better email me fast, I am leaving work soonish.

Fredrik1
Jan 22, 2005

Gopherslayer
Fallen Rib
Holy poo poo, guys!!

Fredrik1
Jan 22, 2005

Gopherslayer
Fallen Rib

coffeetable posted:

do you people not have lives to be getting on with

Ha ha, good one.

Fredrik1
Jan 22, 2005

Gopherslayer
Fallen Rib

Cthulhuite posted:

https://twitter.com/adam_brennecke/status/501428909989437440

Won't be until this afternoon. Back to work, everyone!

But it's afternoon now :(

Fredrik1
Jan 22, 2005

Gopherslayer
Fallen Rib

Frungy! posted:

That is amazing.

Wait, there is audio too??

Rename to mp3 and play in vlc.

Eaverdreads .gifs always have audio. :)

Fredrik1
Jan 22, 2005

Gopherslayer
Fallen Rib
and site is down..

Fredrik1
Jan 22, 2005

Gopherslayer
Fallen Rib
I started as a wizard, but I can't seem to be able to use any spells over level 1, is that how it's supposed to be (a bug) or am I missing something?

Fredrik1
Jan 22, 2005

Gopherslayer
Fallen Rib

Anal Papist posted:

Select your grimoire and add the learnt spells to their levels.

Nice, thank you.

Fredrik1
Jan 22, 2005

Gopherslayer
Fallen Rib

Count Clockwork posted:

So far the best bug I have experienced is one of my party members steadfastly refusing to remain dead.
I picked up a chanter at the inn as a way of getting a quick look at the mechanics and headed off to a dungeon. Upon arriving the chanter promptly went down once and then a second and final time.

Finishing the dungeon with one less party member I was rather surprised to find that after leaving the dungeon my chanter had returned from the dead and rejoined my party.
She now seems incapable of dying but has no access to her chants and has become the party meat-shield thanks to her unnatural lust for life that sees her claw her way back into the earthly realms after dirt naps.

Main storyline of Torment 2 :colbert:

Fredrik1 fucked around with this message at 08:26 on Aug 19, 2014

Fredrik1
Jan 22, 2005

Gopherslayer
Fallen Rib
^ I am dumb.

GreatGreen posted:

Feedback from a random guy on the internet!:

* Yeah, Endurance is the best name for the character portrait health. Seems intuitive. When you run out of "endurance" in most situations, you just pass out. When you run out of "health," you die. Sounds good to me.

* I think I might have to disagree with the decision to make the portrait fill green during the first 3rd of cahracter Endurance dropping, because green usually denotes something positive. If my health bar was filling up with a green color, I'd assume things were getting better, not worse. I do like the idea to make the red flash during the bottom 3rd of the travel downward though.

About the health system... I have a suggestion if that's alright. What if the Endurance and Health systems worked more like the Halo Shield system, where Endurance was like the Shield? So when you take damage, you only take damage to your Endurance until it runs out, at which point you'd stay in the fight but start taking Health damage. Health hits 0 = you're dead.

I'm also skeptical towards having green color for "good" stamina (soul density) loss. I think red is fine.

I do disagree with a mechanic where stamina acts like a shield, it would make for game play where I am encouraged to attack my own guys to do damage to enemies because I know they are invisible.

A 1:1 health/stamina loss is much better. But please no flashing stuff in the UI.

Fredrik1 fucked around with this message at 15:33 on Aug 21, 2014

Fredrik1
Jan 22, 2005

Gopherslayer
Fallen Rib

Krowley posted:

Does your friend of a friend know about the pause function in real-time with pause games?

I was going to ask, I found battles to be pretty manageable.

Fredrik1
Jan 22, 2005

Gopherslayer
Fallen Rib

Clever Spambot posted:

How many active abilities did sam have, this is important

Five,

Pick up, walk to, talk, use and look at.

Fredrik1 fucked around with this message at 10:57 on Aug 23, 2014

Fredrik1
Jan 22, 2005

Gopherslayer
Fallen Rib
This page reads like a document from the CIA.

Fredrik1
Jan 22, 2005

Gopherslayer
Fallen Rib

Fredrik1 posted:

This page reads like a document from the CIA.

This was a joke, and wasn't really intended as criticism btw.

Fredrik1
Jan 22, 2005

Gopherslayer
Fallen Rib

evilmiera posted:

My characters inability to kill stuff now apparently stems from a different source. They're all stuck in a constant reload/preparing state or something because they refuse to hit the enemy and just stand around doing nothing. May have to restart from scratch.

I had this too I think, I was playing a druid and couldn't get anywhere.

Fredrik1
Jan 22, 2005

Gopherslayer
Fallen Rib

prometheus12345 posted:

Is it really important to see the quest items every time you open the inventory? Maybe that is only me but normally I don't look at the quest items.

Also if you have many quest items, showing only 12 at a time could be a bad idea. But this depends how the game handles quest items, if it always deletes used quest items like keys you shouldn't have many quest items. I think it's unlikely that we will have more than 12 quest items, so it likely would work, if you show 12 or more items.

Imo a button that shows all ingredients is more important than seeing quest items. Also comparison between the equiped item and the other item would be nice.

Yeah, I don't really see any gameplay importance in displaying quest items at all.

A blurb in the quest discription would be well enough.

Of course I would kind of expect to find my quest items in my inventory because it makes sense, but apart from 'realism' I dunno.

Fredrik1
Jan 22, 2005

Gopherslayer
Fallen Rib

Dav posted:

Heroine's quest is an amazing tribute to the QFG games; highly recommended if you like them.

Haven't heard good things about Quest for Infamy, but haven't tried it myself.

Heroines Quest is amazing, there is no reason not to play it.

Fredrik1
Jan 22, 2005

Gopherslayer
Fallen Rib

mitochondritom posted:

This guy playing it is absolutely insufferable. I can only assume this is some sort of forced personality, he is very grating. Josh must have the patience of a saint.

Yeah, I can't even watch this stream.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Fredrik1
Jan 22, 2005

Gopherslayer
Fallen Rib

spider wisdom posted:

Do corpses still disappear after a short time? I was going to watch the Jesse Cox stream to find out, but I failed my willpower check. *~immersion~* hangs in the balance here.

The preorder trailer is a work of art. I know Pillars is supposed to evoke BG/IWD, but I got some strong ToEE 2 feels in the visuals department, and that is good.

For what I played the game seems amazing but I really hope corpses doesn't dissapear like in the early alpha, or at the very least there would be a slider for persistant corpses/peformance.

• Locked thread