Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
GetWellGamers
Apr 11, 2006

The Get-Well Gamers Foundation: Touching Kids Everywhere!
Also, let's not forget there's already been Nazi vampires vs. Allied werewolves with magic-tossing Himmler, Swastika-clad dragons, and oh yeah, your team includes Herbert West, Reanimator, Van Helsing's daughter, Frankenstein's monster, and Jack The Ripper.

There was a great LP of it, but it never made it to the Archive, it seems.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

GetWellGamers
Apr 11, 2006

Kurtofan posted:

Do all classes have special conversations like that or is it just for a few classes?

quote:

(Fighter): "You braggart, that blade's never seen battle. Even repaired and polished no blade keeps an edge that keen after fighting with it."

Etc.?

GetWellGamers
Apr 11, 2006

It's going to be like God Save The Queen, isn't it, where getting high enough to check-pass one think means it's not possible to check-pass another, right?

GetWellGamers
Apr 11, 2006

Dual wielding grimoires, with a special ability if your strength is high enough that let you clap an enemy's head between two closed grimoires. That's quite a lot of weight to have your ears boxes with. And if it crits, it can just headsplode them, gibs, blood, and all. :getin:

GetWellGamers
Apr 11, 2006

Anyone ever play the latter two Penny Arcade RPG games? They had what I thought was a great mechanic, where you had infinite items but limited uses per fight. You found and bought increases to these caps, so with the right questing, you would have oodles of attack, defense, and healing items to use, and you never hesitated to use them because using one or using all of them in a fight made no difference to your totals going forward. I'm not saying it'd work for something like PoE, but I thought it was a very elegant system and one of the only games where I consistently used buff/debuffing items.

GetWellGamers
Apr 11, 2006

Zore posted:

I forgot about Rogues, but I don't remember much talk about them using anything but close in stabby weapons.

Presumably a lot of their "spike" damage comes from that sort of thing, but it'd be pretty neat if they had essentially a "John Wilkes Booth" attack that let them somehow swoop into close range for an assassination shot.

GetWellGamers
Apr 11, 2006

Well, it's worth noting it's an Action-RPG with couch Co-op, which seems to be becoming a rarer and rarer thing these days.

And just personally I quite enjoyed it. :)

GetWellGamers
Apr 11, 2006

Wingless posted:

I actually forgot what thread I was in and why I was reading it. Shut up about Star Wars.

I will never get tired of this picture, especially the guy on the left.

"Boot to the face! Shield to the face! I am loving this poo poo!" :hist101:

GetWellGamers
Apr 11, 2006

I see he's growing in his winter coat. :v:

GetWellGamers
Apr 11, 2006

Tell me you have flanged maces, pretty please. Slash/crush erryday.

GetWellGamers
Apr 11, 2006

Irobot82 posted:

Huh, it didn't even occur to me. I always thought of rock type spells as elemental and crush type as weapon damage not spell damage. So do other elemental type spells also have other damage types? Like and icicle spear type spell being ice and piercing?

rope kid posted:

Some spells are like that, yes.

:woop:

I don't think any RPG has ever married these concepts, have they? Like, elements are always just elements, whether you're flinging stone spikes at them or dropping a mountain on their heads.

GetWellGamers
Apr 11, 2006

GreatGreen posted:

skeuomorphic

:stare:

...Well I learned a new word today.

GetWellGamers
Apr 11, 2006

I love that in the update he directs hatemail to Brandon's address. That kind of levity is what makes independent studios great.

GetWellGamers
Apr 11, 2006

They were really big on internal wikis when I was there. Probably something like that, that the design team adds to when they think of it or it comes up in a meeting or something.

GetWellGamers
Apr 11, 2006

LogicNinja posted:

Do you ever find yourself in the middle of a sinister chuckle, with the urge to say "They laughed at me at the University. But I'll show them! I'll show them ALL!"

The better parts of game development are always "Holy poo poo, I'm having this much fun and they're paying me for it, too?"

GetWellGamers
Apr 11, 2006

AXE COP posted:

Please don't try to trick people into entering the worst of all professions.

HotCanadianChick posted:

The other 99% of game dev is banging your head on a desk wondering why you didn't go for an easier job like toxic waste cleanup or firefighter.

I'm not saying it's all sunshine and roses, but a lot of it is like school- you don't remember the soul-crushing all-nighters and the constant grind of homework, you remember the rad engineering projects and graduating and that one time you completely stole the show on presentation day. Game development has the same lows as any other high-demand job, but in my opinion you can't get any higher highs than seeing people lining up to buy a game you worked on and hearing them rave about it to their friends and so on unless you're a movie star or in a really successful band or something.

No one has ever swelled with pride at hearing a kid in a mall say "Have you seen that new accounting suite? Holy poo poo, how awesome was that?!"

GetWellGamers
Apr 11, 2006

I think it would be hilarious if you could go all JRPG Hero and subsist the entire game as a silent protagonist. Given that it's obsidian I bet they could still give you lots of character and agency- Just look how drat well they did pre-surgery Christine in Dead Money- but still, not a single spoken word...

GetWellGamers
Apr 11, 2006

Mozi posted:

Kind of like what they just did in South Park?

Did they? Hate the show, knew I'd never play the game. :sweatdrop:

GetWellGamers
Apr 11, 2006

Is that giant-size-bullet-lookin' thing at the top some clever packaging of some crazy wargame, or just a novelty item?

GetWellGamers
Apr 11, 2006

I can think of few better gaming companies who embody a philosophy of "Screw your 'demographic research', we're making games for people who are just as insane as we are, in exactly the way we are, and if anyone doesn't like it they don't have to buy our games" than Paradox. No one is a "Casual" Crusader Kings player, no one's "Sort of" into Penumbra, but the ones that are are hardcore and loyal. Project Eternity was never anything but a love letter to the kind of oldschool RPG they all loved playing and making, and if it's got a smaller audience because of that, well, so be it. I see this as nothing but a good move.

GetWellGamers
Apr 11, 2006

Look who just got this sexy, factory-sealed beast. This was your first design design credit, right Ropekid?

The rest of you plebes are free to feel jealous now. :smug:

(P.S., Get well soon :shobon: )

GetWellGamers
Apr 11, 2006

Subjunctive posted:

I wonder if there's an economic effect at play. Do VAs get paid per line? If so, the slower pace might be a way to stretch the content a bit.

It's typically per hour, actually, so that could be the VA's way of subtly padding their paychecks. :v:

GetWellGamers
Apr 11, 2006

I'm starting to wonder if I should stop listening to PE stuff, because I kind of want to go into it relatively fresh, like I did with Planescape and Baldur's Gate and stuff. I want to know, yes, but the other half of me wants to be surprised.

GetWellGamers
Apr 11, 2006

"Match to slowest"? Has that ever been an option?

GetWellGamers
Apr 11, 2006

Basic Model:

Upgraded!

Thanks so much for your help, Ropekid, and I think I might be bidding on this personally when it goes up in the GWG charity auction later this year. It's just so drat cool. :retrogames:

Signatures, since the silver doesn't show up too great:

-Feargus Urquhart
-Chris Avellone
-Joshua Eric Sawyer
-Darren Monahan
-Scotty Everts
-Chris Parker

And the Obsidian dice are freakin' rad. I'm keeping those. :v:

GetWellGamers
Apr 11, 2006

Otto Skorzeny posted:

That track's saved for chanters that run into their rival.

Rap battle that literally drops bombs? I can dig it.

GetWellGamers
Apr 11, 2006

Yeah, there's Alpha Protocol stuff everywhere because Alpha Protocol is awesome. Duh. :colbert:

GetWellGamers
Apr 11, 2006

Agean90 posted:

I would play the gently caress outta alpha protocol with tanks. Instead of dialogue options, your character's personality assembles itself based on mission completion/units lost/collateral damage.

Didn't Ace Combat 6 do something like that, where how efficient/bloodthirsty you were in combat changed how you were perceived and reacted to?

GetWellGamers
Apr 11, 2006

BigFatFlyingBloke posted:

My general impression is that animancers are a bunch of Isaac Newton types that study to varying degrees both natural philosophy and alchemy / mysticism, except that because of the setting the alchemy / mysticism part is actually science rather than a load of balls.

This is more apt than you might think, since Newton used to do insane stuff like stare at the sun so long he was blind for three days or run a blunted needle around the inside of his own eye socket, carefully avoiding the optic nerve to feel around inside. There was a ton of the "what does this button do" approach to physical sciences in Newton's day, and when you're dealing with alchemy and magic as actual real things, I can see an animancy Oppenheimer minus the strict controls and guidelines of later scientific rigor.

GetWellGamers
Apr 11, 2006

You need regular nukes before you can have a hydrogen bomb. :colbert:

GetWellGamers
Apr 11, 2006

Otto Skorzeny posted:

The fifth book of The Wheel of Time :v:

...Okay, fair enough.

GetWellGamers
Apr 11, 2006

The problem with the Cult of Chekov is that when you're religious about it, nothing is coincidental or inconsequential, everything's got to be a setup or a callback. Like, for most of us in California, if you drive to Comicon in San Diego you're going to pass by the San Onofre nuclear station. It's a very distinct and recognizable landmark (Sometimes called the "Beach Boobs") and any story involving a driving trip to comicon would feel remiss to not mention them, but then they don't have to mean anything if they are mentioned. Stuff can and should just happen in stories, I think, without having to be Chekov'd, because otherwise you get the feeling the world only exists for the protagonist's benefit.

I know I keep harping on how great it is, but Planescape did a good job of making the world seem like it went on without you, that you might influence things here and there but you weren't the protagonist of the entire universe. Things like the summoned grasshopper that kills everyone before you even get in the door, or the "mime" stuck in an invisible box, or any number of things you come across that don't or can't require your help and that you must simply pass through as unimportant as any other observer.

GetWellGamers
Apr 11, 2006

Right, but the point stands that making the protagonist the fulcrum upon which the entire universe hinges makes for a boring read, because then you know that everything mentioned is plot-relevant. Like my example of the mime in the clerk's ward from Torment, you don't get to see how it started, and you don't get to see how it ends. There's no quest, there's no fixing the curse. It merely is, and you as the protagonist can do nothing about it. And that's fine, I think stories need things like that because the world is like that. It's okay for the protagonist to be the center of the plot, but not the center of the universe.

GetWellGamers
Apr 11, 2006

ElrondHubbard posted:

Going back to this, the idea that your character is merely a part of a greater world is part of the narrative of Planescape and therefore all of those little additions are just fine since they reinforce the narrative.

I think we're arguing the same position from different definitions because that's basically my entire point. Things can exist just to flesh out the world of the narrative while having jack-all to do with the protagonist. Checkoving every little thing that shows up plotwise is what I'm against.

GetWellGamers
Apr 11, 2006

Mymla posted:

If I ever write a story, I'm gonna hang a gun on every single wall and never fire any of them.

"Lives of the average suburban Texan"

e: That's why I specified "suburban", the ones who are totally safe anyways but lust after the idea of blowing away a home intruder, wherever they happen to be.

GetWellGamers fucked around with this message at 18:16 on May 2, 2014

GetWellGamers
Apr 11, 2006

evilmiera posted:

This was pointed out in a really great youtube series about why someone felt NV had a more "lived-in" feeling than Fallout 3, and hence made it more appealing. Something I can agree with.

Got a link? Searching for anything specific on YouTube is like wading through a landfill looking for intact video games. (:haw: )

GetWellGamers
Apr 11, 2006

"Frightening Flourish" or something, where your kill is so spectacular it causes everyone else to flinch away for a second? Could also work for casters, if you make someone pop into gibs...

GetWellGamers
Apr 11, 2006

Crosspoting this rad as balls response from Ropekid on the Obsidian forums on just how :black101: the Bleak Walkers are:

Ropekid posted:

Any army/general may surrender after Bleak Walkers are unleashed, but the paladins explicitly do not ask for nor give mercy/surrender. If a warlord said, "Hey, Bleak Walkers, take out this town," and then halfway through the attack, the ruler of the city tried to surrender, the warlord would have a problem on his hands if he wanted to accept. Bleak Walkers won't call off an attack even if their "employer" asks them to or turns forces on them. The Bleak Walkers believe this behavior is necessary to make it clear what is going to happen when they get involved.

You'd best know exactly what you're doing and what you're pointing at when you call these guys. Can't wait to see them in action somewhere. :rock:

GetWellGamers
Apr 11, 2006

Lotish posted:

"You've beaten me. I cannot best you. I don't...I don't suppose you can be convinced to let me go?"
The paladin shook his head solemnly, "I'm sorry. The contract is sealed with gold. It cannot be broken."
"Even if I offer you double?"
"Again, to my deep regret..."
"I see. Then you must kill me. But...I suppose then your contract will be fulfilled, no? Leaves a bit of an opening in your schedule? I don't suppose I can hire you for... one more job? When this one is finished?"
The paladin frowned thoughtfully, raising his eyebrows and shrugging, "Well, the job was just for you; we never did discuss 'protection.'"
"I suppose I can take some comfort in that, at least."
"Always happy to serve."

:fap:

That would be awesome.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

GetWellGamers
Apr 11, 2006

Oo Koo posted:

I meant something like, you need to get into a tower that's sealed by a huge stone door. You can either go fight some monster to get the key from it's lair (for those that don't have the required stats), force it open (difficult strength check) or notice an overgrown window above the door (medium perception check) and climb through it (medium dexterity check). The end result for every solution is that you get inside, the way just differs. I'd like for there to be some unique quest solutions relying on multiple easier checks for different stats, so that being a jack of all trades makes you feel that the breadth of your abilities is exceptional in it's own way.

I really like doing this too. Quest for Glory was like this for me, where I dumped all my starting points into learning how to do the things my class couldn't naturally, so that no matter what situation came up I could do at least a halfway decent job at it.

• Locked thread