Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
TwoPair
Mar 28, 2010

Pandamn It Feels Good To Be A Gangsta
Grimey Drawer
After seeing the nightmare of the Eureka Seven movie get played through over in the Z2 LP, I gotta say I'm very excited to see the actual proper Eureka Seven get played through in this game.

Also Big O. Always Big O.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

TwoPair
Mar 28, 2010

Grimey Drawer

Dr Pepper posted:

So Setsuko, very carefully, pitches her idea: they've been transported to another world, like a parallel universe.

"I did say we need to consider all possibilities," groans Denzel, "but..."

Denzel you drive a giant robot for a day job, you have forfeited your right to question weirdness.

TwoPair
Mar 28, 2010

Grimey Drawer

Ashsaber posted:

Well, there was that one comic for the Alpha series where the Zeta Gundam gets Rocket punchs (then Amuro and a few other real type pilots try to get the weapon for their mechs)...

They just need to strap some fists on to the ends of some fin funnels.

TwoPair
Mar 28, 2010

Grimey Drawer

Dr Pepper posted:

: I owe you for taking the Mk.II from me at Gryps! And for that airport, too!
: You owe me? Where do you get off saying that after killing my mom!
: Look, that wasn't personal! It was part of the mission!

I love this exchange so much.

TwoPair
Mar 28, 2010

Grimey Drawer

Astro Nut posted:

Unfortunately I was too little to really understand the difference between a model kit and regular action figures, so...

I too experienced the pain of dumping all the pieces of a Liger out on the floor and wondering what the gently caress was wrong with my toy.

TwoPair
Mar 28, 2010

Grimey Drawer
Huh. Knowing nothing about the plot of this game, I wonder how they're going to work in E7's plot now that just the Gekkostate and one army crew have warped in. Just gonna say "Oh hey it turns out there were trapars here too also, oh and here are all our villains and supporting cast as well okay commence as usual"?

TwoPair
Mar 28, 2010

Grimey Drawer

Dr Pepper posted:

Eina, the maid, is sent off to to inform Cookie, who we'll meet eventually, but FYI, she's the combat maid (actually, most of them are going to be maids).

Oh anime, never change :allears:

TwoPair
Mar 28, 2010

Grimey Drawer

Onmi posted:

Although worth noting is that neither world was all that stable, and both were jumping in stuff before hand.

Yeah I was kinda wondering how the warps were happening if the world's only just now breaking. Oh, and RIP Denzel. I figured your mech blowing up was just one of those "Look at the cool new guy" things and you'd eject like everyone in the game does upon mech explosion, but oh well. I guess Glory Star will have to develop a new "pour a forty on the ground" squad attack.

TwoPair
Mar 28, 2010

Grimey Drawer

Dr Pepper posted:

It should be noted that it's possible to make Big O even tankier. Big O is considered to have a Shield, so teach Roger the Blocking Skill.

Saying he has a shield makes sense. I think there's like, one enemy who ever makes a scratch on those giant-rear end arms when Roger uses them as shields in the entire show.

Also yes Big O. I didn't think we'd be getting to it so soon but I'm so hype :neckbeard:

TwoPair
Mar 28, 2010

Grimey Drawer

Dr Pepper posted:

Jamil apologizes for the sudden call but Tifa’s promotion showed something of utmost importance happening here and, whatever it is, it’ll concern many humans - all of us included; Gain is interested in knowing what’s going on and Gwen says Gauli, Bello, Gavane and Joseph have gone after the Moon Race (though “Kihel” is a bit dejected that she missed the Soreil again).

I think you mean premonition, Doc.

Anyway, this update was really cool. I like the intrigue of having Asakim react completely differently to the two different protagonists.

TwoPair
Mar 28, 2010

Grimey Drawer

Ashsaber posted:

No, Anno hates you, and wants you to know that you are Shinji, and that you suck, and you'ld get everyone killed, and you won't get the girl (any of them) because everyone hates you. And then he gets pissed that people keep trying to come up with a happy ending.

And then he goes to sleep on his waterbed of fan tears.

TwoPair
Mar 28, 2010

Grimey Drawer

BlitzBlast posted:

So is there just some perspective going on or is Roger's left shoulder just really huge?

A little of both. Male characters in Big O have huge chests.

TwoPair
Mar 28, 2010

Grimey Drawer

Brunom1 posted:

Taking a queen to tour an arcade doesn't seem to be the smartest choice for Loran, though...

gently caress chess, skee-ball is the game of kings. Diana needs to learn its intricacies.

TwoPair
Mar 28, 2010

Grimey Drawer

Brunom1 posted:

With that, the way is clear for Roger.

I love how the game makes the Paradigm City subway into Roger's personal train that can travel anywhere, just for the express purpose of transferring Big O's tendency to pop out of the ground into the game.

TwoPair
Mar 28, 2010

Grimey Drawer

Broken Loose posted:

Holy poo poo almost every single line of that was amazing.

Wanna just empty quote this.

Setusko and Toby's were kinda disappointing though. We get it guys, you wanna finish the mech, geez. I miss Denzel, he'd probably yell about wanting to get smashed.

edit:

Brunom1 posted:

Couldn’t find subbed or dubbed versions of this scene only but you can find the entire episode online.

See you all soon!

Here's the dubbed version, doesn't have the nifty part where Gain busts the cap in Kashmir though.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HqM7sojuQ9I

e2: After watching those clips, I'd love to be a fly on the wall in those recording sessions (both Japanese and English). I'm sure there was a whole script and everything, but I really would love to see the director tell the VAs "Okay on this next line, ham it up as much as possible and never shut up. Just keep yelling and be as melodramatic as possible."

TwoPair fucked around with this message at 22:13 on Jun 9, 2014

TwoPair
Mar 28, 2010

Grimey Drawer

Small Frozen Thing posted:

From his perspective, he's a creepy-looking but pretty stand-up guy.

: "Asakim, your attacks may involve you summoning a dome that looks like it's made of pure evil energy and you cackle maniacally now and then, but y'know, you're an okay guy."

Plus Asakim doesn't call Rand "Crusher" or anything, so that's getting him major brownie points :v:

TwoPair
Mar 28, 2010

Grimey Drawer

Spiritus Nox posted:

I like how Apollo just turns to Roger and is all like "Hey man I don't get it either but every so often Fudou talks about some really weird poo poo and it makes me punch stuff harder, so I just roll with it." :allears:

The follow-up is pretty good too, with Roger just going "Yeah I'm gonna keep doing my thing then"

Brunom1 posted:

: The Moon’s Butterfly, the Machine Angel, the Devil’s kin and The Bigs! It’s the second coming of the Black History!
: What…what is he talking about?!
: It’s a shame, boy! But, indeed, all fate holds for you is darkness!

It's okay Loran, no one knows what Schwarzwald is ever talking about.

TwoPair
Mar 28, 2010

Grimey Drawer
A crazy robot punching things to the moon? That stretches the imagination a little, but this...

Brunom1 posted:

These Mon-soono aren’t in Wide Formation, though, so Roger’s Missile Party tears a hole in all of them.

well now my suspension of disbelief is just snapped. Big O's missiles never work.

TwoPair
Mar 28, 2010

Grimey Drawer
That scene with Renton and Dominic really doesn't make much sense in a setting where they're both in a populated area and Eureka and Anemone are fine. I know it's just the nature of crossovers and SRW that some stuff's just not gonna transfer over well (especially an episode of character development between two dudes involving zero robot fights), but it just feels weird here, like the writers went "Well drat, this has to go somewhere eventually before the end"

TwoPair
Mar 28, 2010

Grimey Drawer

SyntheticPolygon posted:

I haven't seen anything of Eureka 7 before this LP (and for that matter most series present in the game), but i've been enjoying it so far. It's been a slow burn but it seems like it's got a clear idea of how it wants the characters to develop and what it needs to do to get there. So i'm hopeful that Holland will improve, even though i'm getting mixed messages about it in the thread. :ohdear:

Holland will improve. He's a very flawed, kinda broken guy, but he's got a good motivation for everything and he grows as a character. ...But it'll get worse before it gets better.

(psst, everyone should watch Eureka 7)

TwoPair
Mar 28, 2010

Grimey Drawer
It's on Hulu for free, but only in subbed form. So far as I know, there's nowhere to find the dub online that's not :filez:

TwoPair
Mar 28, 2010

Grimey Drawer
I never thought I'd see a mecha anime that confused me more than Evangelion but now thanks to SRW, I've been introduced to Aquarion.

TwoPair
Mar 28, 2010

Grimey Drawer

Spiritus Nox posted:

YOU SEE, WHEN YOU FIRE AN ARROW, STRETCH A SWORD, AND THROW A PUNCH IN THREE DIFERRENT DIRECTIONS, THEY GROW TO UNDERSTAND EACH OTHER AND FORM A 3D HYPERCUBE IN WHICH A NEW WORLD IS BORN

Fudou is great.

It's like the guy who wrote the Timecube website went on to coach a fighting robot team.

TwoPair
Mar 28, 2010

Grimey Drawer
Oh Renton, you poor little fool. This is one of the many parts of Eureka Seven that truly captures the unique teenage experience of saying something completely loving retarded and not realizing you hosed up at all.

TwoPair
Mar 28, 2010

Grimey Drawer

BlitzBlast posted:

Huh, this part of E7 really doesn't translate to SRW cutscenes that well.

Also I was wondering what was going on with Enil when they dropped her part in getting the DX. Being the one sane person on the Archangel is pretty good I guess.

Well the whole part of E7 doesn't translate well, seeing as the whole (original) point is that the Gekko can't fly and the caves are supposed to be so small none of the LFOs can really do anything, but that really doesn't translate at all for SRW where it's all talking heads and stages featuring fights are kind of a necessity.

It's kind of like the part in Z2 which takes the Simon vs. Lordgenome fight from Gurren Lagann and turns it from what was a one-on-one knock down drag out fight to the finish to... a bunch of super robots fighting a real tough boss.

TwoPair
Mar 28, 2010

Grimey Drawer

Dr Pepper posted:

To be fair, it'd probably be a bit more surprising if we weren't going through Setsuko's route at the same time

I don't know, his whole vibe is kinda off and half his attacks are themed around darkness and nightmare realms and evil crows. Plus there's that thing that Rand started putting together even before the heel turn where every time Asakim showed up, a bunch of enemies somehow followed! I think it might've been obvious even without watching Setsuko's route.

TwoPair
Mar 28, 2010

Grimey Drawer

Dr Pepper posted:

And the Battle Mastery shows up. Defeat all enemies, then Ziene, within turn turns.

I don't know how many turns it is (three?), but this is a typo.

TwoPair
Mar 28, 2010

Grimey Drawer

thetruegentleman posted:

Even then, it's just an example of the larger problem: they gave up on the lives of all the civilians awfully quick, and that's a bit...bothersome. Yes, it's dangerous, but these people are already risking their lives for the sake of others by fighting in the war: it seems reasonable to expect at least some of them, even just a few, would risk their lives to save the civilians; just as it would be reasonable to expect that the military personnel would stop them for the greater good.

Yes, but this isn't the Super Robot route, we just don't have enough hot blood to make rash judgement calls like that.

TwoPair
Mar 28, 2010

Grimey Drawer

Alacron posted:

You know, all things considered I'm surprised Kei doesn't have more kids running around, possibly trying to murder him.

How do you know he doesn't? :tinfoil:

TwoPair
Mar 28, 2010

Grimey Drawer
Frankly I'm disappointed the game doesn't give you some sort of special damage bonus for using the O Thunder to off Beck. I mean, not a one-hit KO but still...

(and I am shocked, shocked, I say, at the game not giving Beck an afro. Such inaccuracies to the source material :reject:)

TwoPair
Mar 28, 2010

Grimey Drawer

Caphi posted:

I'm going to just write "Doctor Wily" instead of "Professor Kazami" next time and no one will notice.

"Sure Trinity Energy was great and all, but I've been thinking, what if I made a castle shaped like a skull? Wouldn't that be bitchin'?"

TwoPair
Mar 28, 2010

Grimey Drawer
So wait maybe I lost track of where we were in between the various route splits, but was Roger just with us the whole time? What's his excuse for not fighting?

TwoPair
Mar 28, 2010

Grimey Drawer

BlitzBlast posted:

All Gundam transformations have an actual purpose,

I was gonna have a joke response and post a bunch of goofy stuff from G Gundam but then I remembered Gundam Maxter's transformation from Football Robot to Boxing Robot is the Best Goddamn Thing™

TwoPair
Mar 28, 2010

Grimey Drawer
The one problem with Eureka Seven and SRW is a lot of Eureka Seven's plot and character development does not come during, or around, robot fights. It's an ideal series for inclusion in the game because it has great mech design and the fights in the series are definitely great, but unless you want to dedicate incredibly long plot dumps in between stages, a lot is going to be lost in translation from show to game (like a lot of Renton's character development in this arc where he does not pilot a robot or a lot of why the player should give a drat about the Beams), especially if you're trying to weave other shows' plots and characters into the narrative too.

Also stuff like Renton catching Eureka is one of those moments that really doesn't convert well to strictly text.

TwoPair
Mar 28, 2010

Grimey Drawer

Dr Pepper posted:

Making a unique animation costs money. If it's an attack animation then, well, it's going to be seen a bunch of times. If it's a one-time scene then that means resources that could have gone elsewhere went into a single small segment of the game.

Yoko on a motorcycle, the best unit in Z2.2. (Ha, everyone knows that was just an excuse for Banpresto to put another Yoko cut-in into the game)

TwoPair fucked around with this message at 00:13 on May 5, 2015

TwoPair
Mar 28, 2010

Grimey Drawer
There are some real gems in that dialogue:

quote:

: I’m well aware of Aquarion’s randomness! I won’t let my guard down!

Truly, Camille has learned what the true power of the Element System is. And then he gets stabbed by a super-extendy-sword like 6 times and sliced in half. Beautiful

Brunom1 posted:

Oh, I'm not defending Kira at all but he's not at the crux of the matter here.

Both sides of ZEUTH are, as Camille feared, wrong in here - they both dismiss the other's argument via their preconceptions, compounded by the UN rumors.

Zaft has taken us as mercenaries at best, bandits at worst, uncaring about the status quo and the big picture, who'll help any side for the right price, and decided to forcibly annex our troops onto their forces to fight for "what is right". This is not being reasonable.

Meanwhile, my ZEUTH has dubbed the other side as unfeeling Terminators who'll do any atrocity if ordered to do so; thus, we won't listen to their criticisms as we believe it is all a ploy to further Durandal's agenda of worldly dominance. This is not being reasonable either.

If only there were some person to help both ZEUTHs reasonably discuss things. Like some sort of negotiator... really dropped the ball there Roger.

: I'M SORRY THE O THUNDER IS MUCH MORE PREFERABLE TO MY JOB.

TwoPair
Mar 28, 2010

Grimey Drawer

thetruegentleman posted:

The talks between the two sides here seem much weaker than Rand's side: there's no philosophical arguments about methodology here, only"you changed, and that's bad. No, YOU changed, and that's bad!" In fact, it's outright bizarre that Rand's side ended on a "maybe no one is in the right" note, and Setsuko's side went with a: "the other side had no reason to feel bad for what they've done" ending.

It's not that bizarre, it's very fitting for the side with more Gundams to be the side with more characters wallowing in angst, so why not make them objectively wrong to fuel that?

TwoPair
Mar 28, 2010

Grimey Drawer
Touche :ocelot:

TwoPair
Mar 28, 2010

Grimey Drawer
I'm sorry but if you're dissing robots with lips you're dissing Big O and I won't have it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

TwoPair
Mar 28, 2010

Grimey Drawer
Yeah, I'll stand up for E7 any day but I've gotta agree that throughout the show does a really poor job of explaining what the hell the Summer of Love really was or how Adroc averted it. And Renton seems really uninterested in how his father is the man who saved the world (but then I'll give him kind of a pass because he's a sullen teenager, not giving a poo poo about anything is kind of your job at that age).

Also I got really excited for a second because I jumped the gun and thought this was the part where Anemone was going to blow up Holland and then he'd get the Devilfish. God that's a cool mech.

TwoPair fucked around with this message at 00:19 on Jun 17, 2015

• Locked thread