Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Hunter Noventa
Apr 21, 2010

After playing Z2 and having no clue what happened in Z1 (not that I have much clue outside the LP for Z2-1) this is amazing to see. I still want to get a copy of this game too.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Hunter Noventa
Apr 21, 2010

BlitzBlast posted:

You can get it for pretty cheap. The harder part is getting a japanese PS2.

I actually already have one for OG and Alpha 3, the hard part is justifying the cost.

And I can confirm that it won't work on a PS3 that can play PS2 games, I used to have one, and the region coding seemed to be intact there when I tried it with OG.

Imported PS3 games work fine of course.

Hunter Noventa
Apr 21, 2010

Onmi posted:

So Z3 just got announced. Or rather Z3-1 HELL CHAPTER. This is going to be the 2-part conclusion to the Z series, and it's being released on PS3/Vita.

I have both consoles. I...don't know which version to get.

Hunter Noventa
Apr 21, 2010

Man, all I got when I was a kid was Robotech on Toonami. Granted, I loved every minute of it. At some point I actualy got home too late to watch it and had to program our VCR to tape every episode.

Then I eventually discovered Macross and it being better. I never really got the chance to see much else, though I remember hating Gundam Wing for having 'too much politics, not enough awesome robot battles' when I was in middle school.

Hunter Noventa
Apr 21, 2010

AradoBalanga posted:

And all of this was done because Harmony Gold wanted to run Macross as a daily series, unlike a weekly series like it was originally broadcast as. However, US television broadcast rules at the time stated that a daily cartoon series had to have a minimum of 50 episodes, which the 36-episode Macross didn't meet. So, Harmony Gold took Southern Cross and Mospeada (which they had the licenses to) to fill in for the requirements.

As impressive as Robotech is, it's what Harmony Gold has done with the licenses that has gotten people upset.

Though that is only half the story. Apparently it would cost more to license the Fire Bomber songs of Macross 7 than the series itself, or so I hear. Granted, with Harmony Gold in the way it's a less than zero chance, but still.

I also haven't heard of anything, well, GOOD being done with Robotech since the original.

Hunter Noventa
Apr 21, 2010

AradoBalanga posted:

No, the thing with Fire Bomber songs was an Alpha 3 story, not a Robotech one. Banpresto wanted Fire Bomber songs to be played live in-game (vocals and everything). And then they saw the license fees to do that, so Banpresto dropped the idea.

Ah, I was mostly referring to the idea of even bringing macross 7 to the US, even if Harmony Gold wasn't in the way.

But like an above poster said, it was SRW that got me really into a lot more mecha anime. I played OG1 and 2, then the translated Alpha Gaiden and the rest is history.

Hunter Noventa
Apr 21, 2010

Dr Pepper posted:

All info on the game says the afterimage has a 25% activation rate, and in my experience that seems about right. It's a nice bonus because Baldios is already pretty tanky due to its 2L size.

I could swear I've read that it's affected by the pilot's Skill stat like Sword Cut of Shield Block, but I might be misremembering.

Hunter Noventa fucked around with this message at 11:27 on May 8, 2014

Hunter Noventa
Apr 21, 2010

Digital Jello posted:

Oh god, he's in this game...

I remember Ghingnham was a super pain in the rear end in Alpha (or was it Alpha Gaiden? I forgot, it's been a long time). Now I'm curious to see what SRWZ will do with him.

Alpha Gaiden.

And yeah, the stage against him with the time limit was pretty much the most brutal stage in the game.

Hunter Noventa
Apr 21, 2010

Genaro posted:

Remove (or lower) the restrictions on it, and just it's a powerful attack that sits in the background, no crazy leaps of writing required

Z3-2 got it pretty much right with regard to the restrictions and power of the TSC.

Hunter Noventa
Apr 21, 2010

WrightOfWay posted:

The non-MAP version not being an ALL attack is kind of weird, though.

I feel like they want ALL attacks to be more spammable, given how rough some of the SR Points are.

Hunter Noventa
Apr 21, 2010

WrightOfWay posted:

The DX straight up doesn't have any ALL attacks so even having 1 per turn would be an improvement.

You're right, it doesn't. How did I forget that?

Hunter Noventa
Apr 21, 2010

God, seeing the Turn X gives me flashbacks to the final battle against it in Alpha Gaiden. One of the most brutal yet awesome fights in the game.

Gym truly is the Master of Ham.

Hunter Noventa
Apr 21, 2010

Hellioning posted:

Any SRW game in which you get Haman is a good SRW game.

A shame the Quebeley looks so doofy, I just can't stand the thing.

Hunter Noventa
Apr 21, 2010

Brunom1 posted:

Yo, the thing looks positively sleek when compared to the clunky Rick Dom that was its prototype.

That said, the stuff that came FROM the Qubeley, namely the Queen Mantha and Kshatriya, are way better looking.

I think it's the shoulders and the tail that really get me. It looks even sillier in Dynasty Warriors Gundam.

Hunter Noventa
Apr 21, 2010

Section Z posted:

"We will get revenge against those who called us Category F!"

"But the F stands for FROST!"

"We don't need your LABELS maaaaan!"

"It's literally your name!"

This is my terrible headcannon.

Sounds about as reasonable as the actual reasons.

Hunter Noventa
Apr 21, 2010

So after this is all done it's onto Z3 right guys?

Right?

Hunter Noventa
Apr 21, 2010

Caphi posted:

It's a very short thing that goes between Hell and Heaven and mostly introduces the new villains by way of the first three Reactors. I don't think it's strictly necessary but when all those characters show up again in Heaven they'll be referring to the events in it.

You also get a bonus for having a save from it when you start Tengoku, as well the one for the save from Jigoku.

Hunter Noventa
Apr 21, 2010

Onmi posted:

I love Special Mode, I've done an Ex-Hard mode playthrough once, on SRW OG2.

Pretty sure you had to beat EX-Hard on OG2 to unlock Special anyway.

And man, if they gave you a random number of parts like that on every game that would be amazing.

But SRW always has really fun NG+ stuff. I rather like J where you got to completely customize your spirit pool. Having Break or whatever it was that let you bypass enemy barriers early in the game was so satisfying, given how many enemies had them.

Hunter Noventa
Apr 21, 2010

Onmi posted:

The other Problem is it's J. And you know how we've been praising Z for how well it's tied together everything from its various plots? Okay now imagine if an SRW did none of that, and each series felt completely divorced from the others. That's J.

Yeah that is combined with the worst part of J, the reinforcements. "Oh, you just spent a whole battle fighting FMP mooks? Now here are some ZAFT mooks for an entirely different reason on the other side of the map.

But that's what Zeorymer is for.

Hunter Noventa
Apr 21, 2010

BlitzBlast posted:

That page is for the most part a lot of exaggeration. SRW bosses are by and large a total joke, with the major exceptions being the ones earlier on since by endgame the player's damage output skyrockets to such an insane degree it literally does not matter how much health or whatever barrier the boss is packing.

Like, the entry on Z3's final boss? Your average player will kill that doofus in one turn. Maybe two.

EDIT: Really, a lot of bosses rely on players not fully understanding their range of options to truly be difficult. If you get Support Attack on everyone, optimize your mechs properly, and read up on whatever tag system of the day the game is using (if it has one), you can walk into just about any fight blind and utterly steamroll them underneath a wave of giant robots.

Yeah it really is that easy. I took him out entirely in a single turn, thanks to saving all my maximum Breaks for him, even with him healing up after I did about 1/3 of his health. It was not difficult.

The games were a bit harder back when you didn't have so many customization options. Like Alpha Gaiden, for example.

Hunter Noventa
Apr 21, 2010

thetruegentleman posted:

Others find ways to make things a bit more interesting, though: Fire Emblem has its weapon triangles to prevent any one unit from becoming too powerful (with a few exceptions) and supports, and Spectral Force has its side quests and slightly better character optimization.

SRW, by contrast, has...skill points. And instead of trying to keep those interesting, they almost always boil down to "kill things quickly in a certain order." Why not add something else, like base customization, or romance sub-plots you can actually alter, or give the maps some puzzles that need to be solved to beat the boss? SRW has more processing power and memory than what they started with; it can actually do more things now, without sacrificing animations or levels. And yet, the games seem to march on without changing.

SRW J had Puzzle Robo, which was a between stage thing where you had to literally puzzle out how to beat the stage with a pre-defined set of resources. it was interesting.

I would love to see some move in the direction of base customization or something. You could say the Z Crystal in Z3.2 is a tiny minuscule step that way. But at the same time it would be hard to do a base. battleship customization beyond existing upgrades maybe.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Hunter Noventa
Apr 21, 2010

I'm too lazy to try for a cheesy Shining Finger quote, but G Gundam is the way to go.

• Locked thread