Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Spiritus Nox
Sep 2, 2011

AAAAAAAAAAHHHH It's here! :swoon:

I. loving. Love this game. There are very few ways I can think of to make a SRW game better than this. The animations are great, the music's great, the crossover's well written and interesting in a way that not only synthesizes the source material into a coherent whole but often makes it better, you're given enough deployment space that you can use basically everyone you like on a regular basis, the regular objectives are generally challenging but not beyond what's satisfying, and it does an admirable job of staving off the usual late-game SRW slog in my opinon. I'm really looking forward to the group's take on this game.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Spiritus Nox
Sep 2, 2011

TwoPair posted:

Also Big O. Always Big O.

Aw man. Don't even get me started on how cool Big O is in this game. :allears:

Spiritus Nox
Sep 2, 2011

Blaze Dragon posted:

Oh man, I've been waiting for this. Z is my favourite SRW (and of many others, it seems!), despite not understanding a word of Japanese. The battle system alone made me love it, I did not need the story. But understanding the story will only make me like this masterpiece of mecha fighting even more, I'm sure.

Rand and Setsuko are awesome, having Garrod from day one in Rand's route is just as awesome (kid's on my top three of Gundam protagonists), the Gunleon is...well, it's GaoGaiGar, repair (sort of?) robot version. What more can one say? And the Virgola are nice, they just don't really compare to motherfucking Gunleon.

There's lots of things I want to say but I know I shouldn't yet, so I will just say I'll be looking forward to how this continues.

I actually like the Virgolas more than the Gunleon, as weird as that makes me. The Gunleon's fun and all, but between how LOUD its design is and...some other factors that might be just a bit spoilery, it just kind of wore on me after a while. The Virgola's a bit more subdued, and I like how its design jives with the UC Gundam setting it "originiates" from, and it changes things up a bit more often.

Spiritus Nox
Sep 2, 2011

Caphi posted:

Toby and Denzel are tied deeply into Gundam's history; in fact, as we see, the entire Virgola project is under an umbrella with the Titans. This brings me to a thing I really like about Z, which is that it's really light on original plot and considers its originals a bit of mortar that gives all the series a chance to interact and combine in weird ways. The way the world is laid out and how the originals fit into it already shows a bit of this, but I'll probably get a chance to say it again once the plot reveals its backstory and the big mystery.

I agree. The game really makes our Super Robot Army of Justice into a true ensemble cast, and the original plot is tied deeply into most of the licensed stuff. The licensed stuff itself is also woven together really really well - there's very few moments where any of the shows involved feel like they're there just to fill space, the ensemble feels very well rounded and meaningful considering its absurd size - quite an acheivment in a massive crossover like this.

The Z series in general does a fantastic job at making the crossover feel extremely organic and natural.

Spiritus Nox
Sep 2, 2011

TK-31 posted:

When I played this stage I set everyone's music to King Gainer Over. It just felt right.

Yeah, I hosed with the music all the time when I played this game. It feels like much more of a cohesive team when you've only got a few tunes playing over your army rather than 10 or so. Plus there's always a few robots whose music choices wear on me sooner rather than later.

Spiritus Nox
Sep 2, 2011

Hellioning posted:

See, this is why Garrod is the best Gundam protagonist.

Who cares about fighting for what you believe in or doing what you think is right? Just fight to impress and/or protect chicks!

He's probably the best-adjusted of the lot, I'll give him that.

But yeah, this is one of the game's many many many cross-series friendships forming before us, and it's something this game does really well - Especially because both of our Original Charaters is involved in at least one of their own, which does a lot to help keep them from feeling as obviously out of context as the protaganists of other SRWs can.

Spiritus Nox
Sep 2, 2011

Meh. I really can't get excited about Xabungle's units. I didn't watch the show, they aren't that important to the plot (their own show being over by the time the game starts), they aren't that flashy once you get past some of the sillier animations, and they get really loving difficult to use in the late game - especially as you spend more time in space or fighting big, tough, flying bosses: both situations reduce Walker Machines to hot garbage.

Spiritus Nox
Sep 2, 2011

Dr Pepper posted:

Planning on one tomorrow, and a new page would be nice too.

Sounds good. I'll drop a post to that.

Spiritus Nox
Sep 2, 2011

BlitzBlast posted:

I'm probably just missing something here, but I don't think Gundam AGE is in the cast list for this game. :v:

Also the Impulse is one of my favorite units, even if it's a bit of a hassle to use to its full potential.

I agree - the major UC and Zeta Gundam units are a lot of fun in general for me. Especially since their late game units have [EXTREMELY MINOR TECHNICAL SPOILERS] funnels all over the loving place. Funnels are loving awesome.

Spiritus Nox
Sep 2, 2011

HR12345 posted:

So I looked up how many chapters are in this game. 60. This is one of those games that has you in for the long haul.

Now consider that there's two characters - and while there's a great deal of overlap between the campaigns, there's easily a third to half of the game that's basically unique to each character. And each character also has a handful of points where the storyline branches before uniting later. So really it's more like 70-80 total missions of content.

Spiritus Nox
Sep 2, 2011

Blaze Dragon posted:

And man, talking about bad things in Zeta, that song. That song is really drat bad. In my current playthrough I just changed the BGM of every Zeta character to IGNITED, because that means I don't put every Zeta animation off because I don't want to hear that song.

Yeah, I did the same - especially as I really like Gundams and use lots of their units. I'm not a huge fan of the UC series' music in this game. Not a lot of energy.

Spiritus Nox
Sep 2, 2011

Ah, Nirvash. We are gonna get some milage out of you. :swoon:

Also, E7's music is indeed some of the best in Z's already really strong soundtrack.Though Storywriter's easily my least favorite tune from the series. We'll see the better ones soon enough.

Spiritus Nox
Sep 2, 2011

Hellioning posted:

Ah, yes, Killer the Butcher. I wonder what he does. Perhaps he slaughters things?

Oh, don't disrespect his work. He's a remarkable surgeon.

Spiritus Nox
Sep 2, 2011

Alacron posted:

So let's see here, on the Rand route we have:

-Xabungle
-King Gainer
-Turn-A Gundam

And on the Setsuko route we have:

-Z Gundam (and classic gundam by extension)
-Zambot 3
-and we just saw the silhouette of Banjou, so Daitarn 3

So how much of this game is a giant love letter to Tomino? :allears: Hell, how much of this franchise?

Considering Gundam's popularity, and considering the most popular Gundam settings (UC, SEED, and to a lesser extent 00) are difficult to handle without making them a huge part of the setting (the various flavors of Earth Federation or the Three Great Nations), it's hard to get away from Tomino's work in a SRW.

Spiritus Nox
Sep 2, 2011

Oni-Lord posted:

Sometimes I feel like I'm the only person who kind of likes the Frost Brothers.
They're just so wonderfully hateable.

That they are - unfortunately it's because there's very little to them other than :smug::respek::smug:, and that wears on you sooner rather than later.

Spiritus Nox
Sep 2, 2011

I enjoyed Sandman in my runthrough, but I'm looking forward to actually getting some straight translation of the guy. :allears:

Spiritus Nox
Sep 2, 2011

Honestly, I actually like fighting Real Robot bosses in the early game quite a bit more than I do in the late game. In the early going, you're generally going to be weak enough that Real Robot bosses have a decent chance of nailing you with an attack or two - but they'll be weak enough that it usually won't be a guaranteed one-shot. This leads to more of a back and forth sort of battle and more opportunities for special abilities to trigger in interesting ways. Like on my first playthrough, Shagia attacked Garrod, who was already hurt a bit and probably would have died, with his beam saber only for Garrod to trigger Sword Cut and parry the attack with his own saber, which added a lot of interesting, if luck-based, dynamics to the fight. Later game bosses are more a matter of just piling on them with all your best units, almost all of whom are going to be using Spirits to either make themselves nigh-invulnerable or unhittable, which leaves a lot fewer opportunities for that sort of moment.

Spiritus Nox
Sep 2, 2011

Brunom1 posted:

Well, the bosses aren't exactly weak here; as you saw, Harry's IF Bunker took nearly 90% of Loran's HP, which means a critical hit is all it would take for him or Shagia to oneshot a fragile real that isn't defending (not very unlikely considering their high Skill stat - and Harry's Predict).

As for the downward difficulty curve, that's pretty much par-for-the-course when dealing with most recent SRW games. :v:

Well yeah, but that just means that the choice between attacking, evading, or defending actually matters. Later on if you're attacking a boss with a Real Robot and the real hasn't rendered itself virtually unkillable for a turn, then you're doing it wrong and someone is all but guaranteed to die.

Spiritus Nox
Sep 2, 2011

Oh, these guys are some of my favorites. :allears:

Spiritus Nox
Sep 2, 2011

Brunom1 posted:

The weirdness of the story is why it's such a welcome sight when its mixed together with so many series that play everything straight.

We need some crazy super robot shows to take us away from the usual Gundam-like realism and into awesome-town!

I'm taking the time to watch the actual show while I play through this.

This game is my only experience with Aquarion, and the way it's presented here reminds me of Evangelion if it were a traditional Super Robot show with HOT BLOOD and MAGIC and THE POWER OF LOVE.

Spiritus Nox
Sep 2, 2011

Aw man, I loving love Aquarion. It's ultimate attacks are the best, its music is the best, Fudou Gen's the best - it's just the best. In all seriousness, there were tons of hints dropped here about Aquarion having connections with other series'. I really like how this game handles Aquarion - another SRW could easily have made Aquarion-focused sequences into complete non-sequitors, but it actually becomes one of the most important shows to the overall plot.

Gavane's actually pretty decent himself. He can't dodge very well, which is usually the kiss of death for a real pilot, but between his tendency to trigger Shield Guard and his defensive spirits, he can actually make a mobile suit fairly durable. I got some decent milage out of him as a squad leader through midgame by putting him in a spare (minor unit spoiler) Gundam MK II I couldn't find anybody better to pilot.

Spiritus Nox
Sep 2, 2011

Oh man, I enjoy this stage. Lots of Gundam, which I always enjoy, plus a cool setpiece in the falling colony and the plot starting to pick up some steam.

Spiritus Nox
Sep 2, 2011

Yep. The Real Super Robot Wars Z Begins Here.

Also, Infinity Punch is absolutely fantastic and probably 60% of the reason you should use Aquarion. Apollo later learns stronger attacks, but Infinity Punch is a powerhouse all the way through the game and outranges pretty much anything you can compare it to. It's completely absurd and it's awesome.

Spiritus Nox
Sep 2, 2011

Brunom1 posted:

: You can't simply ASK for a new page. Do you even know what IS a page?

: A PAGE IS MORE THAN A MERE PAGE! It is an infinity of variables that, only when they join in the most perfect moment, actually EXIST!

: If you truly wish to understand the New Page, ask yourself: is it the LP that creates the new page or is the new page that actually creates the LP?!

: ...I understand...WE ARE THE NEW PAGE!

: WHOOOOOOOAAAAAAAAAAAH!

Argh, I got a headache from all that bullshit...

Oh my god.

Spiritus Nox fucked around with this message at 17:48 on Mar 5, 2014

Spiritus Nox
Sep 2, 2011

Caphi posted:

It doesn't, Ashura isn't in this game.

...Does Kei have the same bonus and a chance to take on Ashura in Z2?

Edit: Oh, wait, duh, probably not. No squads in Z2.

Spiritus Nox
Sep 2, 2011

See, Kei's an absurd pilot and all. Might even be the best in the game. But I could just never get that enthusiastic about him. He's always saddled to mechs I find really underwhelming in terms of both design and firepower. - yeah he'll almost never be hit and cut through grunts like a hot knife through butter, but he kind of piddles out against bosses and some of the top tier Gundam Units can shred squads of mooks about as well or better even with slightly-to-significantly inferior pilots, while having enough firepower to more reliably dish out big hits to bosses. And that's not even mentioning a certain late-game Eureka Seven unit. Doesn't help that Orguss' music comes off as really boring, at least as it's used in this game.

Which is kind of ironic, because Kei and Orguss are really really important and well tied to the main crossover plot.

Spiritus Nox fucked around with this message at 00:25 on Mar 6, 2014

Spiritus Nox
Sep 2, 2011

And here we go. Start your engines, it's time to get the plot going up in here!

AradoBalanga posted:

The track used for the Bronco II, I'll give you that one. It is dull and boring.

However, the other Orguss BGM used in the game? That I will gladly fight you over. :colbert:

I honestly can't say why I don't like that one. The first thing that jumps to my mind is that it's too...80's sounding for me, sort of? Only that doesn't really make sense because A.) I have only a vague idea when Orguss even came out and B.) I really really like the music in shows like Zeta Gundam and macross, and those were around the 80's, so....:v:

Spiritus Nox
Sep 2, 2011

Dr Pepper posted:

There are very few things that did not just go Horribly Wrong.

Also; RIP Denzel Hammer :smith:

Wasn't even flashy. OUR MYSTERIOUS ASSASSIN just cuts him in two and pokes the top off.

Spiritus Nox
Sep 2, 2011

Montegoraon posted:

Fun fact, trying to destroy a space elevator by setting off a huge bomb at its base would render the structure unusable, but wouldn't destroy it. Space elevators don't stand on the ground, they hang from the sky. Why? Because orbital mechanics are hilariously bizarre and counter-intuitive. Remember in Gundam 00 when the pointlessly evil villains destroyed one of these elevators by attacks it near its top? This is the reason. They, at least, got it mostly right.

Well, that would be the case for a realistic space elevator, anyway.

....While I'm thinking about it, does that mean that a space elevator you don't want to have skimming across the earth's surface at orbital velocities has to be built all the way up to...down from, I guess, Geosynchronous orbit? Because I'm pretty sure that would make the ones in 00 way too short.

Spiritus Nox
Sep 2, 2011

And, as I alluded earlier, the main plot of Super Robot Wars Z essentially starts here, with the establishment of our new setting. I loving love the Multi-Dimensional Wolrd - they put quite a bit of thought into thinking about how all the various human and alien factions would react to being suddenly thrust together, and there's a whole lot of wheeling and dealing and alliances and divisions that'll arise. It feels really fleshed out.

Spiritus Nox
Sep 2, 2011

Aw yeah, Roger Smith's back on stage. :allears: Big O is amazing, it's a great show with cool characters, it's a great unit, and its plot gets interwoven with the main story in some really fascinating ways.

Spiritus Nox
Sep 2, 2011

TwoPair posted:

Saying he has a shield makes sense. I think there's like, one enemy who ever makes a scratch on those giant-rear end arms when Roger uses them as shields in the entire show.

Also yes Big O. I didn't think we'd be getting to it so soon but I'm so hype :neckbeard:

Yeah, Big O hardly ever gets significantly damaged in the show. Half the time the drama comes from Roger getting slammed around or electrified in the cockpit or something rather than Big O itself becoming too damaged to fight. And even then, it more often gets damaged by enemies attacking the joints and severing those big shield-bearing arms rather than just punching through Big O's armor.

Spiritus Nox
Sep 2, 2011

Yeah. Setsuko's drawn in the same broad artsyle, but between not being loving massive or as loudly designed as Rand or Mel, she fits in a lot better - especially with the Gundam characters she primarily chills with.

Spiritus Nox
Sep 2, 2011

I'll do my part.

Spiritus Nox
Sep 2, 2011

:allears: Oh, Aquarion. You're so gleefully, infectiously retarded.

Spiritus Nox
Sep 2, 2011

vibratingsheep posted:

I forget, does God Gundam count as a real, or is it a miniaturized Super?

I've only played one game that features G-Gundam, and it was J, but I'm pretty sure it's the same basic idea in each appearance. G-Gundam units have elements of both categories of robots, leaning towards Reals. They're slightly-to-moderately less dodgy and more durable, and have stats and spirits based on doing metric fucktons of damage.

Spiritus Nox
Sep 2, 2011

Brunom1 posted:

Them kids, man. They're so bratty they make Kappei look like a choirboy.

It ain't easy being Renton after he's just joined the Gekkostate...

I give the show some credit because it eventually acknowledges that the kids are insufferable little shits and punishes them a bit for it. But man the episodes where they get to run around being little menaces wore on me pretty quick.

Spiritus Nox
Sep 2, 2011

Brunom1 posted:

You're way too soft, Renton...you should've let them toss the brats out the airlock! Still, I cut him some slack because his :kimchi: face is one of my favorites (I love his panicking face, too).

Also, you know SRW Z is gonna go crazy with Destiny when the very first thing it wants you to do with Kira is get him shot down.

It's certainly a peace offering to the people who wanted him to die in a fire after the actual show. I don't actually mind Kira too much in this game, though. Between not actually speaking his language, Z's extensive rewrites on Destiny, and his cool mechs (gently caress you, Strike Freedom has funnels, ergo it is awesome), I can live with his presence.

Spiritus Nox
Sep 2, 2011

Glazius posted:

A dodgy sniper Super Robot.

Pardon me, I think something just snapped in my brain.

To be fair, it's not THAT dodgy. After-image is more something that'll happily surprise you every now and again rather than something that lets Baldios dodge-tank seas of enemies.

At least...that's my experience.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Spiritus Nox
Sep 2, 2011

No kidding. The Black Skull Moon Alliance is one of my favorite villain teamups. They're very Super Robot, as they should be.

• Locked thread